HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What snipers should we seek BESIDES Parise?

Old
03-16-2012, 11:31 AM
bernmeister

vCash: 500
What snipers should we seek BESIDES Parise?

Parise is obvious; we'll be lucky if we get him. Don't even bother mentioning, he's an automatic given.

We need at least one, preferably two additional snipers.
Please suggest who you think we should target in the off season, and which players/assets we have to give up.

I have a preferred list we not move if avoidable, but for starters, let's say only Kreider is off the table.

Again, the ? is not whether or not we need snipers, or playmakers or more defensemen, or whatever; that is a separate debate.

The question is, assuming it is agreed we need snipers, who can be targeted, who can be had, at what cost?

Speculate, please...

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:39 AM
TheRedressor

Frankly if it's not Parise, I would like to go into next season just filling the gaps with youth.

We don't need a guy like Alex Semin who would NOT be a "Torts kind of guy".

Unless we can make an ELITE upgrade, stay the course.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Guys we might...

Whitney
Parise
Kostitsyn

Guys we won't but maybe should

Jagr
Cervenka
Jones

03-16-2012, 11:51 AM
TrueBlue9

Parise
or
Trade for Bobby Ryan
or
Patience with Krieder

TrueBlue9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
We need Kreider AND a top 3/6 forward.. Let Kreider play 3rd line next year, can't expect him to do first line minutes or something off the jump

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:58 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

I don't know if we necessarily need a "sniper". We have guys with good shots. I think we need more of a guy who is comfortable carrying the puck, still has a good shot but can also beat people one on one. We really lack that. We need a guy who can play in traffic, and can be a scoring threat off the rush.What I'm really saying is Kovalchuk would have been a very good signing and I'm disappointed we didn't get him because he is one heck of a player.

But yeah Nash & Parise are very good.
Nash is more of what I described above but it depends on the price...

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Best option---> Sign Parise, Trade Dubinsky at the draft (probably not in that order )'

2nd best option---> Trade for Rick Nash

3rd best option---> Trade for Bobby Ryan (imho, will cost more than nash, hes younger, better contract, and can't dictate where he is going to.

4th best option---> Stand pat. Least desireable of these choices, but the Rangers shouldnt make a panic Kotalik type move. imho, its Parise, Nash, Ryan or bust this summer. if we cant get any of those 3, dont sign ANYONE. go even younger.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:30 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I actually wouldn't mind having Jagr for a year.

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Jagr
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Mrpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Best option---> Sign Parise, Trade Dubinsky at the draft (probably not in that order )'

3rd best option---> Trade for Bobby Ryan (imho, will cost more than nash, hes younger, better contract, and can't dictate where he is going to.

4th best option---> Stand pat. Least desireable of these choices, but the Rangers shouldnt make a panic Kotalik type move. imho, its Parise, Nash, Ryan or bust this summer. if we cant get any of those 3, dont sign ANYONE. go even younger.
Exactly. These are the best options. Although if all 3 fail I can see them bringing in a stopgap if they don't feel one of the kids are ready.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I actually wouldn't mind having Jagr for a year.

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Jagr
Rupp-Boyle-Prust
I would love it and it would help the power play but I believe management has burnt that bridge.

Dubi-AA-Jagr would be the best 3rd line in the league.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

These are the three best options.
The problem is 12-15 other teams in the league are listing these as their three best options also.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:47 PM
LyNX27

In my perfect world...

Acquire Suter
Trade from depth (Youth D) for young up and coming Sniper
Wait for Kreider and current kids to progress as players.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:10 PM
NYR Viper

Yeah, I would be pretty happy if the Rangers could nab Suter. I would honestly take Suter over Parise just because of the amount of time he would be able to play and I feel MUCH more comfortable with a d-man being signed for 10 years over a forward.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Revisit the Nash trade.

To expect Kreider to come in and fix the offensive woes on this team is setting yourself up for disaster — and I like Kreider.

And please keep Jagr as far away from this team as possible.

Trade bait: Dubinsky, Anisimov, 1st round pick.

03-16-2012, 01:57 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Only interested in Parise if he comes at a reasonable cap hit.

Still not interested in Nash. I'd trade for Bobby Ryan if he could be had for what we offered for Nash.

Let Kreider come in and learn the pro game. Dubinsky should return to being a 20+ goal, 50+ point player. Stepan will get better, MDZ should get better, and Erixon should be ready to contribute. Stick to the process.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Yeah, I would be pretty happy if the Rangers could nab Suter. I would honestly take Suter over Parise just because of the amount of time he would be able to play and I feel MUCH more comfortable with a d-man being signed for 10 years over a forward.
Bouwmeester, Campbell were both considered premier dmen when they were signed long term.

Old
03-16-2012, 02:03 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Bouwmeester, Campbell were both considered premier dmen when they were signed long term.
Suter is on another level than either of them.

Old
03-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
We rarely see eye to eye, but I agree with this.

Parise is outstanding and would fit in perfectly on this team. However, with Kreider coming up, and the chance that Parise re-signs in NJ especially if they do well in the playoffs somehow, I'd really like to see us go hard after Suter. I just feel that Suter has more of an impact on a game on a shift by shift basis than Parise. Suter is the perfect blend of Staal and Girardi, and an even better passer than both combined. He does EVERYTHING exceptionally well, and is the epitome of a playoff warrior defenseman. If we signed Suter to a retirement deal and thus minimizing his cap-hit, then we'd have more options to move a guy like DZ if the right star winger becomes available. Key word: the RIGHT star winger. Ie: NOT 7.8 Rick Nash (who I'd still trade for at the right price, just not DZ or McD). If we trade for Nash, especially after what Howson pulled the first time, it will be on our terms and people will be calling it the Gomez trade part 2.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

The cupboard is distinctly more bare at LW with Kreider and without Parise than the defense is with our current crop and without Suter.

I like how amazing our D would be with him but you have to wonder how many more centers we are going to have to move over to patchwork LW. Counting on Kreider for anything right away is a mistake, IMO.

Now i'm not saying that I wouldn't go after Suter. But he is going to get an amazing contract.

Old
03-16-2012, 02:18 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Dubinsky should return to being a 20+ goal, 50+ point player.
I have an issue with this. He's scored 20+ goals twice. He's had 50+ points once (yeah, I know that he had 44 points in 69 games in 09-10). This return to being the player you describe does not jibe with Dubinsky. He needs to do these things more than once to say that that is the norm for him. And it will be damn hard for him to reach those numbers if he doesn't play in the top six and he's no lock to do that.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:20 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
We rarely see eye to eye, but I agree with this.

Parise is outstanding and would fit in perfectly on this team. However, with Kreider coming up, and the chance that Parise re-signs in NJ especially if they do well in the playoffs somehow, I'd really like to see us go hard after Suter. I just feel that Suter has more of an impact on a game on a shift by shift basis than Parise. Suter is the perfect blend of Staal and Girardi, and an even better passer than both combined. He does EVERYTHING exceptionally well, and is the epitome of a playoff warrior defenseman. If we signed Suter to a retirement deal and thus minimizing his cap-hit, then we'd have more options to move a guy like DZ if the right star winger becomes available. Key word: the RIGHT star winger. Ie: NOT 7.8 Rick Nash (who I'd still trade for at the right price, just not DZ or McD). If we trade for Nash, especially after what Howson pulled the first time, it will be on our terms and people will be calling it the Gomez trade part 2.
Exactly. I would rather stock-pile a true #1 d-man and move another player for a younger winger on a better contract.

Although I would not be unhappy if Parise signed with the Rangers at all.

Old
03-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

You'd potentially block Erixon and McIlrath in doing that, unless we're planning on letting Girardi and Sauer go.

Old
03-16-2012, 02:27 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
The cupboard is distinctly more bare at LW with Kreider and without Parise than the defense is with our current crop and without Suter.

I like how amazing our D would be with him but you have to wonder how many more centers we are going to have to move over to patchwork LW. Counting on Kreider for anything right away is a mistake, IMO.

Now i'm not saying that I wouldn't go after Suter. But he is going to get an amazing contract.
I know it isn't the most popular line of thinking, but I would sign Suter and trade Staal for a young winger who can score on a good contract.

The defense remains the same (or gets slightly better) but the team gets SO much better in the long-term.

Just as an example, not talking direct 1 for 1 trade, aka hypothetical:

Marc Staal for Max Pacioretty/Evander Kane

Kane/Pacioretty-Richards-Gaborik
Hagelin-Stepan-Callahan
Kreider-Anisimov-_______(MZA/Thomas/Miller)
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

Suter-Girardi
McDonagh-MDZ
Erixon-Sauer
Bickel

Old
03-16-2012, 02:29 PM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Parise is obvious; we'll be lucky if we get him. Don't even bother mentioning, he's an automatic given.

We need at least one, preferably two additional snipers.
Please suggest who you think we should target in the off season, and which players/assets we have to give up.

I have a preferred list we not move if avoidable, but for starters, let's say only Kreider is off the table.

Again, the ? is not whether or not we need snipers, or playmakers or more defensemen, or whatever; that is a separate debate.

The question is, assuming it is agreed we need snipers, who can be targeted, who can be had, at what cost?

Speculate, please...
Parise isn't a sniper, he doesn't have the shot to be a sniper, try watching him play

MountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

I don't even pursue Parise. Too much money. If I'm in charge this is my team next year.

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Moron-Anisimov-Stempniak
Prust-Gaustad-Boyle

Girardi-McDonagh
Staal-Del Zotto
Sauer-Oduya

Just give us the Cup now.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote