HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Tobias Rieder - 40 goals as a 4th rounder

Old
03-16-2012, 02:09 AM
jebs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
They were 19>
He is 18 years old.
Go to elite prospects and look at the 18yr olds with .7goals per game in the OHL. Think Perry, Ryan, Spezza.......
What?? Hamilton was a month older & martindale was 3months.

edit: Whatever, I dont mean to be a downer, he has been our most impressive forward prospect this year easily. So props to him for that.

Last edited by jebs: 03-16-2012 at 02:17 AM.
jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:34 AM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I agree it's promising that he's tearing the OHL up, but until we see him in pro hockey I wouldn't get too excited.
2PPG since November.
.70Goals per Game.
Go to elite prospect and see what 18 years olds score at this rate.
Rieder,
Toffoli,
Seguin,
Hall,
Tavares,
Hodgson,
Stamkos,
Kane,
McGinn,
Perry,
Osullivan,
locke,
Spezza,
D. Roy,

Kitchner forwards who are top 3 in scoring on the team at age 18.

Landeskog,
Skinner,
Boedker,
Halishchuk,
M. Richards,
D. Roy.

Yesssssss! we have to wait till the pros to get a feel if he will be good.

Jeb: The big three Pitlik, Martindale, Hamilton werre all in there 19 year old season. and averaged a consistent 1.1 to 1.3 ppg
with expect age 22 production of 40-50points.

Rieder is 18 and 1.4PPG but he made a jump to 2PPG fromMid november on. He looks to be anywhere from 27G 55P to 35G 70P player.
Goals baby!

Last edited by oilerbear: 03-16-2012 at 02:41 AM.
oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:13 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
2PPG since November.
.70Goals per Game.
Go to elite prospect and see what 18 years olds score at this rate.
Rieder,
Toffoli,
Seguin,
Hall,
Tavares,
Hodgson,
Stamkos,
Kane,
McGinn,
Perry,
Osullivan,
locke,
Spezza,
D. Roy,

Kitchner forwards who are top 3 in scoring on the team at age 18.

Landeskog,
Skinner,
Boedker,
Halishchuk,
M. Richards,
D. Roy.

Yesssssss! we have to wait till the pros to get a feel if he will be good.

Jeb: The big three Pitlik, Martindale, Hamilton werre all in there 19 year old season. and averaged a consistent 1.1 to 1.3 ppg
with expect age 22 production of 40-50points.

Rieder is 18 and 1.4PPG but he made a jump to 2PPG fromMid november on. He looks to be anywhere from 27G 55P to 35G 70P player.
Goals baby!
Every player is different, I hope that he ends up being the player that your math tells you that he is going to be, he would be an absolute steal of a pick if he even ends up on the low side of the scale.

03-16-2012, 03:21 AM
SilverHaireDevil

Lets hope he continues to impress and improve and translates those skills to the AHL and the NHL when hes ready.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:32 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

It certainly sounds like Rieder could be a player. At 5'11, 190 lbs, he's two inches shorter and 12 lbs lighter than the average NHL forward but not exactly smurf. If he can handle another 8-12 lbs, he should be a decent size for an NHL forward.

Great to hear that he's had such a good season though, as I haven't paid any attention to him this year since the draft.

Hockey Buddha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:17 AM
Horseradish

If his game is improving as rapidly as it appears to be, I don't think it would be the worst thing for him to play in the A next year.

Similar to how some players get moved up as they are physically ready, he looks to be mentally ready (and physicality appears to be no problem. The O is a big league.), and might learn more with 3ish years in the A, progressively moving up the depth chart, rather than going from what should be a superstar season next year and then into the A where his role would likely be drastically reduced and significantly different. It'll be interesting to see what he does in next year's TC. Could step into the pros, or he might be badly exposed as Marincin was this past TC, whereby it would certainly be no shame to see him light up the O again next season.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
If his game is improving as rapidly as it appears to be, I don't think it would be the worst thing for him to play in the A next year.

Similar to how some players get moved up as they are physically ready, he looks to be mentally ready (and physicality appears to be no problem. The O is a big league.), and might learn more with 3ish years in the A, progressively moving up the depth chart, rather than going from what should be a superstar season next year and then into the A where his role would likely be drastically reduced and significantly different. It'll be interesting to see what he does in next year's TC. Could step into the pros, or he might be badly exposed as Marincin was this past TC, whereby it would certainly be no shame to see him light up the O again next season.
No rush. Having a 4th rounder perform like that is found money. We need some guys that will play in the AHL for a while.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:06 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
I really don't care if Rieder makes it or not. Sure it would be nice if he did, but it's nice to see prospects that we have drafted not fall off the edge of the earth after they are drafted. The key now is to start making the next step. So far we've seen guys excel after draft year, but outside of Eberle/Hall/RNH/Petry who has taking the important step?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I really don't care if Rieder makes it or not. Sure it would be nice if he did, but it's nice to see prospects that we have drafted not fall off the edge of the earth after they are drafted. The key now is to start making the next step. So far we've seen guys excel after draft year, but outside of Eberle/Hall/RNH/Petry who has taking the important step?
I would like to point out in Petry's case many people were proclaiming him a bust a year ago and that he would never live up to his potential. Prospect development can be either fast or slow and in most cases it will take time for alot of guys to come around.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Few months ago, Petry wasn't on that list, so you can call that a good development.
Just sayin'

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:17 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
Few months ago, Petry wasn't on that list, so you can call that a good development.
Just sayin'
Hence why I included him in the last of guys that taken that next step.

Old
03-16-2012, 11:18 AM
SilverHaireDevil

It would be nice if a players development was a nice linear upward trend. Reality has shown that even first round picks can wind up being marginal NHL players or not at all, whereas players drafted in later rounds can turn into stars. So for a 4th rounder to be putting up numbers like this for our Oilers is a good deal, now we have to hope that he can translate that into success at the AHL and NHL levels.

I personally will be hoping he turns into a solid NHL player that can help our team succeed.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Hence why I included him in the last of guys that taken that next step.
But are you saying there is no one else that is playing well or are you talking about at the NHL level?

Old
03-16-2012, 11:21 AM
CopperBlue2794

Quote:
Although his numbers aren't very good for the year I would say Pitlick. In the past few weeks he has taken on a much more prominent role in OKC. Next year will be very important for him.

CopperBlue2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:30 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
But are you saying there is no one else that is playing well or are you talking about at the NHL level?
I'm talking about the NHL level. We've been through years of where guys looked good, but never made the step. WE've also been through years of where nothing looked good post draft.

Old
03-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I love how this draft (2011) was supposed to be weak, yet we ended up with Gernat and Rieder, two guys who are shredding up the CHL.

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:54 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Whenever I see a player playing on a stacked team. I try to figure out who is the talent and who is riding the coat tail

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:57 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperBlue2794 View Post
Although his numbers aren't very good for the year I would say Pitlick. In the past few weeks he has taken on a much more prominent role in OKC. Next year will be very important for him.
They have time with Pitlick and Hamilton--as long as they continue to develop, it does not matter whether they come into the NHL next season or in 2 years' time. For now Horcoff, Belanger, Jones will work.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:23 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
I love how this draft (2011) was supposed to be weak, yet we ended up with Gernat and Rieder, two guys who are shredding up the CHL.
Actually last years draft was projected to be weak but as the season wore on it was clear it would not be a weak draft.

This years draft was supposed to be strong but is projecting the exact opposite.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

This board is something else.

An article is posted about an Oilers' 4th round pick getting 40 goals in junior, 40 freakin goals, a significant accomplishment for a "lesser" draft pick. And instead of seeing the positive of situation, people need to drag him down as well as others in the organization.

For **** sakes people, so a guy is the ECHL, because no one's been there before? So other guys who didn't pan out put up big numbers, who cares?

This kid, as a 19 year old foreigner, put up 40 goals in the top junior league in all of North America. I don't care how you spin it, it's ****ing impressive.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
I'm talking about the NHL level. We've been through years of where guys looked good, but never made the step. WE've also been through years of where nothing looked good post draft.
Yes but are you suggesting every drafted player has to play in the NHL? If that is the case you have unrealistic expectations.

Old
03-16-2012, 03:24 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
This board is something else.

An article is posted about an Oilers' 4th round pick getting 40 goals in junior, 40 freakin goals, a significant accomplishment for a "lesser" draft pick. And instead of seeing the positive of situation, people need to drag him down as well as others in the organization.

For **** sakes people, so a guy is the ECHL, because no one's been there before? So other guys who didn't pan out put up big numbers, who cares?

This kid, as a 19 year old foreigner, put up 40 goals in the top junior league in all of North America. I don't care how you spin it, it's ****ing impressive.
I haven't really seen anything negative posted. Just tempered expectations. There were Eberle comparisons going on, so some people (myself included) have simply point that some 18 year olds have scored 40 in the OHL, and still weren't drafted.

The numbers are great. However, he did score 23 goals last year, and I'm sure management had a projection (based on improvement and increased ice time) of about 35 goals. Very natural in the OHL.

So aside from slightly exceeding that POTENTIAL expectation, without having seen much of him, there are obviously other reasons as to why he went as a 4th rounder. The question I have, is has he improved in those areas? How is the rest of his game progressing, and does there appear to be room for more improvement?

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:45 PM
RKD

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
I haven't really seen anything negative posted. Just tempered expectations. There were Eberle comparisons going on, so some people (myself included) have simply point that some 18 year olds have scored 40 in the OHL, and still weren't drafted.

The numbers are great. However, he did score 23 goals last year, and I'm sure management had a projection (based on improvement and increased ice time) of about 35 goals. Very natural in the OHL.

So aside from slightly exceeding that POTENTIAL expectation, without having seen much of him, there are obviously other reasons as to why he went as a 4th rounder. The question I have, is has he improved in those areas? How is the rest of his game progressing, and does there appear to be room for more improvement?
In my opinion, at least, that's the most impressive part. Based on what I've seen and who I've talked to, it's the two-way and completeness to his game that's most encouraging.

03-16-2012, 03:50 PM
CopperBlue2794

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKD View Post
In my opinion, at least, that's the most impressive part. Based on what I've seen and who I've talked to, it's the two-way and completeness to his game that's most encouraging.
Ya I love to see he's on the #1 pk and has scored a ton of shorthanded goals as well.

CopperBlue2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:14 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Nice read but all I have to say is Peter Sarno.
lol friggin sarno

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote