HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Gear question: Anything to be done about aging elastic?

Old
03-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Devil Dancer

vCash: 500
Gear question: Anything to be done about aging elastic?

I don't put a ton of wear on my gear since I'm a fairly small guy, but I keep having to buy new stuff because the elastic wears out. Is there anything to be done about this?

My shoulder pads are about 2 years old, and the elastic straps hardly do anything anymore. My shin pads and elbow pads wear down quickly as well for the same reason.

Help?

I typically buy mid-range gear. Would more expensive gear wear out more slowly?

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:28 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I don't put a ton of wear on my gear since I'm a fairly small guy, but I keep having to buy new stuff because the elastic wears out. Is there anything to be done about this?

My shoulder pads are about 2 years old, and the elastic straps hardly do anything anymore. My shin pads and elbow pads wear down quickly as well for the same reason.

Help?

I typically buy mid-range gear. Would more expensive gear wear out more slowly?
which elastic straps are you refering to

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:31 PM
forbs02
Blergh

Just shorten the current elastic straps. I usually just cut out a section of the strap and then sew the two ends back together. It effectively shortens the straps. If they are on my shinpads I just cut them off and use tape.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 06:29 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbs02 View Post
Just shorten the current elastic straps. I usually just cut out a section of the strap and then sew the two ends back together. It effectively shortens the straps. If they are on my shinpads I just cut them off and use tape.
This is perhaps your easiest and most effective technique. I've had to do that to my shin pads.

Next time, try looking for better quality strap materials that won't stretch out as much over time, such as neoprene. You could also replace the straps on every piece of gear with something you can install yourself.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 04:16 AM
neksys

You can visit a fabric store and get high quality elastic materials. Cut off your , old elastic, leaving two inches. Fold it over (remember its cheap and breaking down) and sew your new elastic to your one inch tab.

You can get velcro to sew onto the ends too.

I bought a 70 dollar sewing machine - one of the best investments I've ever made. They're simple machines and it doesn't matter if it looks hideous anyways, since it's under your pants, socks or sweater.

Plus, it doesn't take long to get decent and you can repair all sorts of stuff with your new skill.

tl;dr - sewing ain't just for chicks. A sewing machine is a versatile tool.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Devil Dancer

Thanks for the tips! The GF is always looking for sewing projects, but I never considered getting her to sew up my gear.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

She might need some heavier duty needles, otherwise you could bring it to a tailor or shoe repair place.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:47 AM
forbs02
Blergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
She might need some heavier duty needles, otherwise you could bring it to a tailor or shoe repair place.
If she is just sewing the elastic and some velcro she can use a standard needle. For heavier repairs pick up a speedy stitch sew awl. They are fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Speedy-Stitche...sr=1-1-catcorr

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:56 PM
semillon

Yeah, my wife is my 'equipment manager'. You'll need needles for the sewing machine that are designed for denim or canvas stitching. I just got new velcro put onto my elbow pads last week... cost a total of about $0.45... Now if I could get her tape my sticks...

semillon is offline   Reply With Quote