HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

MMA General News and Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Because of the amount of contenders at 155? And if it's not too much of a problem for him, why not? He always has the option of moving back up to 155 in his back pocket if he wants to.

But what does taking a non-title fight at 145 do for him? Before Dana changed his mind on the Edgar/Henderson thing, Pettis was for the 2nd time the #1 contender. If he goes to 145 and loses in a non-title fight, is he still a relevant #1 contender at 155? I doubt it.

IMO, the talk of him moving to 145 is to get a title shot without having to wait for Edgar/Henderson II. I doubt he's looking to drop to 145 at this point just because.

Last edited by Peter Griffin: 03-14-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old
03-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Nice story but Henderson's not beating Frankie again. Also, not so sure about Pettis beating Aldo either. I would love to see that fight though. I didn't read the link, does it actually say Pettis would get a title shot at 145 right away?

I don't have a problem with the UFC for doing this since I've never watched an illegal stream in my life and it's pretty easy to get together with a few people to split the ppv cost or go to a bar to watch. However, I have a big problem with the gov't trying to stop free downloading of music, movies, tv shows etc. People should be allowed to watch or listen to whatever they want and not pay absurd amounts of money to do so just so the rich can get richer. I'm pretty sure it's been proven that have music available for free on the internet actually helps a lot bands make more money by reaching a much wider fanbase. That's why some bands support free downloading of music.
Oh yes he is. Henderson won just about every exchange and was 1 good punch away from knocking him out. Edgar thought he was getting the win Josh Koscheck style and I'm super happy it didn't happen.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Pettis says he's not dropping to 145.....

Quote:
@ShowtimePettis
I'm not dropping to 145 to fight aldo! 155 is my home and I'll get that belt soon!!!
That sucks.

Old
03-14-2012, 10:00 PM
I Am Beat You

^Beat me to it.

Old
03-14-2012, 10:13 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
But what does taking a non-title fight at 145 do for him? Before Dana changed his mind on the Edgar/Henderson thing, Pettis was for the 2nd time the #1 contender. If he goes to 145 and loses in a non-title fight, is he still a relevant #1 contender at 155? I doubt it.

IMO, the talk of him moving to 145 is to get a title shot without having to wait for Edgar/Henderson II. I doubt he's looking to drop to 145 at this point just because.
I know. I never expected him to drop. The question was asked and I gave the only logical reason I could see for him to drop.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:10 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Anderson Silva: Chael Sonnen doesn't deserve a rematch

Quote:
"(What does Chael Sonnen represent for my career?) Nothing! He’s possessed by a demon. That’s the truth. He’s an athlete that failed the drug test, I fought him while injured, and he had problems with the American Justice system. He respects nothing and he didn’t respect our country. What does he represent? Nothing.

"I respect the opinions and the positions of the promoters of the fight and the owners of the event, but in my opinion he shouldn’t get the chance to fight me again. But that’s not something that I can decide. I will get ready for the fight just as I would with any other."
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...rve-a-rematch/

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
03-14-2012, 11:32 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 133
Did Rich Franklin?

Old
03-15-2012, 08:08 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Why would Pettis move down to 145 at this point if he wasn't getting an immediate title shot?
That's true but having a title shot as your first fight at a lower weight class doesn't seem like a good idea and that's likely why he decided to stay at 155.

Old
03-15-2012, 09:19 AM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
I like it. There aren't many pure BJJ guys at 170 and he presents problems to the guys at that weight class who just want to take him down and lie on him.
I'm just worried about his cardio which sucked at 185. The weight cut likely won't help that problem.

Old
03-15-2012, 09:26 AM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
I'm just worried about his cardio which sucked at 185. The weight cut likely won't help that problem.
It works both ways though, dropping a weight class will improve cardio in many cases if the guy has a little extra fat or is carrying too much muscle. Hard to know with Maia until we see him fight.

I wonder what kind of fight they'll give him. Would they do something like Maia/Fitch?

Old
03-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Nice story but Henderson's not beating Frankie again.

Oh no you didn't!

I'm going to predict an even more decisive win for Henderson.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:23 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post

Nothing from the first fight leads me to this conclusion. If it weren't for the upkick, I think Edgar would have won the first fight decisively.

Old
03-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
Nice story but Henderson's not beating Frankie again.
Right. Because he did so much in the first fight to give Henderson trouble. Oh wait, he didn't. He got outstruck both in total strikes and hard strikes. He got a few meaningless takedowns and couldn't do anything with them. He caught a bunch of kicks - after they already landed solidly. Sorry, but that fight was not close enough to deserve a rematch and there's no reason to think Edgar will fair any better next time.

The far more unlikely part of my scenario was Pettis beating Aldo.

Old
03-15-2012, 08:05 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanpuck33 View Post
Right. Because he did so much in the first fight to give Henderson trouble. Oh wait, he didn't. He got outstruck both in total strikes and hard strikes.
Compustrike had it 124-114 in total strikes for Edgar, and 61-41 in power strikes for Edgar.

http://compustrike.com/wp/index.php/...stats-ufc-144/

Old
03-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
Compustrike had it 124-114 in total strikes for Edgar, and 61-41 in power strikes for Edgar.

http://compustrike.com/wp/index.php/...stats-ufc-144/
I counter your CompuStrike with FightMetric: http://blog.fightmetric.com/2012/02/...icial-ufc.html

Honestly, it's comical that that site had Edgar landing more power shots. I might be willing to concede total strikes, as it did seem like Edgar was playing patty cake out there at times. But power strikes? That's a joke. I'm not gonna sit here like a little people and say Edgar has no power. The 3rd Maynard fight obviously disproved that. But in this fight, he wasn't landing much of anything with any power.

Last edited by Fanpuck33: 03-15-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old
03-15-2012, 11:28 PM
End of Line
Human After All

UFC Attorney: People that steal our stuff are not our fans

Quote:
"We love our fans," Epstein added. "We've got some of the greatest fans in the world, and all the success we've had with the UFC is directly attributable to those fans. But people that steal our stuff – they're not our fans. If you're a huge (GSP) fan, would you steal from him? I don't think so. So we love our fans, we respect our fans, but people who steal from us, frankly, aren't our fans."
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...-not-our-fans/

Old
03-16-2012, 09:00 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Oh no you didn't!

Edgar's past history in rematches would lead one to believe otherwise. Plus if it wasn't for a lucky upkick, Edgar would've won the first fight.
Quote:
Nothing from the first fight leads me to this conclusion. If it weren't for the upkick, I think Edgar would have won the first fight decisively.
This.
Quote:
Right. Because he did so much in the first fight to give Henderson trouble. Oh wait, he didn't. He got outstruck both in total strikes and hard strikes. He got a few meaningless takedowns and couldn't do anything with them. He caught a bunch of kicks - after they already landed solidly. Sorry, but that fight was not close enough to deserve a rematch and there's no reason to think Edgar will fair any better next time.

The far more unlikely part of my scenario was Pettis beating Aldo.
If you really believe what you just wrote then you're either a massive Henderson homer or Edgar hater. That fight was razor close and Frankie would've won if it wasn't for the upkick.

Old
03-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

Quote:
Edgar's past history in rematches would lead one to believe otherwise.
Bendo beat Donald Cerrone in a 5 rnd decision to win the interm WEC LW Championship. When he defended against Cerrone, he choked him out in 2 minutes.

Last edited by Vincent Vega: 03-16-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old
03-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
If you really believe what you just wrote then you're either a massive Henderson homer or Edgar hater. That fight was razor close and Frankie would've won if it wasn't for the upkick.
I am a huge Henderson fan, but I am also objective. The fight was not dominant for Henderson, but neither was it razor close. When I watch Henderson fight, if anything I give close calls to his opposition, simply because I like to prepare myself for the worst. I'm a natural pessimist, so when a fight involving a guy I like goes to decision, I'm almost always nervous, whether I think he won or not. Even so, I had it 49-46 for Henderson and had no doubt that the decision would go his way. His first fight with Cowboy was a lot closer than this fight was.

Last edited by Fanpuck33: 03-16-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old
03-16-2012, 03:33 PM
I Am Beat You

I thought it was really close and was leaning toward Edgar.

Old
03-16-2012, 03:56 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
Same. I won't say that either man dominated but I think Frankie won. And also, if Shogun didn't do enough to beat Machida in their first title fight, I don't think Hendo did enough either and I know that comparison has been used before.

Old
03-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
I also thought it was really close but I had it 48-47 for Henderson.

I don't see how anyone can say one guy clearly won.

Old
03-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I also thought it was really close but I had it 48-47 for Henderson.

I don't see how anyone can say one guy clearly won.
Easy - Henderson clearly won rounds 2-4. Edgar clearly won the 1st round, and round 5 was a toss up. I honestly believe round 5 was the only one that was difficult to score. Even FightMetric and CompuStrike back that up. Both had Edgar with the advantage in the 1st, Henderson with the advantage in 2 through 4, then they were divided on round 5. When objective stats back up that Henderson won a minimum of three rounds, I don't think there's any doubt about the decision.

Whoever brought up Shogun-Machida I in relation to this fight is just being ridiculous. Using that fight as an example of anything other than horrible judging is ludicrous. Trying to justify anything else using that fight is a stretch at best.

Old
03-16-2012, 04:56 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Easy - Henderson clearly won rounds 2-4.
Stop using the word "clearly", your opinion on who won rounds is not the final verdict. Many people including Dana and Joe Silva scored the fight for Edgar.

Old
03-16-2012, 07:17 PM
I Am Beat You

I think the only "clear" rounds were 1 for Edgar and 2 for Henderson.

Closed Thread