HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What snipers should we seek BESIDES Parise?

Old
03-16-2012, 02:45 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
No interest in Nash and his monstrous contract. My preference would be to sign Suter and trade for Ryan. I'm not sure why Suter would leave if the Preds get Radulov back, but if he does...

Girardi, Dubinsky, a 1st and either Erixon, McIlrath or Miller (hell, even two of them) for Bobby Ryan, and then sign Suter.

Bobby Ryan-Richards-Callahan
Kreider-Stepan-Gaborik
Hagelin-Anisimov-Fedotenko
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Suter
McD-Sauer
MDZ-prospect or UFA or Stralman

If not that, then try to sign Parise. If no Ryan or Parise, then try and get a stop gap such as Whitney or Doan if he's available, or maybe even Jagr, though I doubt it.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
Parise isn't a sniper, he doesn't have the shot to be a sniper, try watching him play
I sense anger. He has the hands and shot to be a sniper. He's shot like and played like one on quite a few occasions.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
No interest in Nash and his monstrous contract. My preference would be to sign Suter and trade for Ryan. I'm not sure why Suter would leave if the Preds get Radulov back, but if he does...

Girardi, Dubinsky, a 1st and either Erixon, McIlrath or Miller (hell, even two of them) for Bobby Ryan, and then sign Suter.

Kreider-Stepan-Gaborik
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Suter
McD-Sauer

If not that, then try to sign Parise. If no Ryan or Parise, then try and get a stop gap such as Whitney or Doan if he's available, or maybe even Jagr, though I doubt it.
I'd take Ryan over Parise. Doan's solid, I'd try him too. I'm in the middle about Jagr. I wanna say get him, but he is aging

Old
03-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post

Kreider-Stepan-Gaborik
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Suter
McD-Sauer

Isn't putting Ryan and Suter on the cap a bit steep?

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I think Nash will be revisited at the draft. Ryan makes the most sense, IMO, but I doubt his availability on the trade market.

It's really tough to lay down a direction. 9 months ago I had this pegged as another "rebuilding" year, but here we are #1 in the conference. I thought we'd have more time to develop our younger guys and see where we landed at the end of next year. Instead, we're targeting more big names while several key pieces (Stepan, McDonagh, Del Zotto, Hagelin, and eventually Kreider) are all going through transitional periods or are just starting to break out.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Machinehead
★★★★

I don't want any part of Suter regardless of his hit. I don't trust either one of Suter and Weber by themselves. We paid for that once already when we trusted Redden sans Chara.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Isn't putting Ryan and Suter on the cap a bit steep?
Nothing wrong with using your budget on players who are worth it. Besides, you're losing Girardi and Dubinsky's contract, Drury's buyout is diminishing, and we had additional cap space anyway. It can be done.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:20 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I have an issue with this. He's scored 20+ goals twice. He's had 50+ points once (yeah, I know that he had 44 points in 69 games in 09-10). This return to being the player you describe does not jibe with Dubinsky. He needs to do these things more than once to say that that is the norm for him. And it will be damn hard for him to reach those numbers if he doesn't play in the top six and he's no lock to do that.
Fair enough. I just feel like it's more likely that Dubi continues on the trajectory he was on than that he just completely falls apart and goes back to producing like a 3rd liner. We're just going to have to wait and see what happens. I for one would not be surprised to see him force himself back into the top 6 next season.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Standing pat would be the worst thing this team could possibly do, really. I'd rather them sign a stopgap than them doing nothing.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Suter is one of the best overall D-man in the game, but we need SCORING.

Parise should be target #1 no questions asked.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Best option---> Sign Parise, Trade Dubinsky at the draft (probably not in that order )'

2nd best option---> Trade for Rick Nash

3rd best option---> Trade for Bobby Ryan (imho, will cost more than nash, hes younger, better contract, and can't dictate where he is going to.

4th best option---> Stand pat. Least desireable of these choices, but the Rangers shouldnt make a panic Kotalik type move. imho, its Parise, Nash, Ryan or bust this summer. if we cant get any of those 3, dont sign ANYONE. go even younger.
lets trade all our youth for a player like Nash or Ryan, yea that has worked out in the past keep guys like Miller, Kreider, McIlrath, McColgan Fasth....most id offer for Ryan is Dubinsky Valentenko and first....Miller was compared to Kesler at the draft, lets wait and see, maybe he will be come that type of player.....

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 06:45 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
lets trade all our youth for a player like Nash or Ryan, yea that has worked out in the past keep guys like Miller, Kreider, McIlrath, McColgan Fasth....most id offer for Ryan is Dubinsky Valentenko and first....Miller was compared to Kesler at the draft, lets wait and see, maybe he will be come that type of player.....
big difference between trading some of the youth and all of the youth

if all our prospects pan out there won't be enough spots for all of them to play, and we have the depth that we can explore packaging a couple of them together in the right deal...i don't want to move the top guys but its definitely something to look into if a guy like ryan is available.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Kreider, Miller, Erixon are the most important

Old
03-16-2012, 07:04 PM
For Your Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
Parise isn't a sniper, he doesn't have the shot to be a sniper, try watching him play
He's definitely not a sniper, but try rooting for teams in your own province. Looking like a mid-90s Devils band-wagoner.

For Your Technology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 07:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I don't see anyone saying lets trade all of the team's youth for Nash or Ryan. But there are prospects and picks who's best value to the organization is going to be as trade fodder.

03-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue9 View Post
Parise
or
Trade for Bobby Ryan
or
Patience with Krieder
Sounds like a good plan to me even though we have no shot at getting Parise.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I highly doubt Zach will sign with us but obviously you try the best you can to make that possible. I'd love to trade for Ryan if the price was reasonable, if not just try to sign a Whitney/Jagr/Kostitsyn and call it a day.

Ih8theislanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Zil

If we land Parise, then we're set. If not, we should explore the trade market, but stick to our guns on the term. There will also likely be a second round of free agents if compliance buyouts are part of the new CBA. Going to camp next year with a healthy defense, Kreider, and Erixon next year is really not the worst thing.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:00 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

This team needs 3rd line depth. It's evident right now, and in the immediate future. Sure, Kreider can play 3rd line next season, but that involves getting one of those guys. The plan should be to get someone that can fill in a 3rd line scoring role that can play the 2nd line until Kreider is ready. People on that list for me include in no particular order:

A. Kostitsyn
Boyes
Whitney
Hudler
David Jones
Stempniak
Kyle Wellwood

Hudler would be the most expensive, and my guess is that Detroit re-signs him. Whitney might stay in Phoenix and he'd be expensive, but for only one season, not impacting the cap after next season. He'd also be a good stop-gap top 6 winger to get Kreider ready and to place Hagelin on a line that he can help produce more. Wellwood would be interesting, but not sure if he's a "Torts" player. Stempniak seems like a likely situation, not as good as the others. David Jones could re-sign with a young Colorado team, I guess he will. A Kost most likely re-signs in Nashville to play with his brother. Boyes to me fits best. Buffalo will not bring him back. He's on the right side of 30 (29 years of age), has skill, but is down this season. Better passer than shooter, but that's not a bad thing for this team. Averages around 45 points a season with about 17 goals. Is he a Torts player? I think he'd be fine on the team. Buffalo has a lot of younger forwards taking his ice-time, and he'd be getting decent minutes here. He'd be cheaper and a viable option to move to the 3rd line if Kreider can play 2nd line or even top line.

I think Hagelin, Dubi, and Kreider is fine on LW, but adding a vet to play where Kreider and Hagelin don't have to play top 6 roles and cause havok on lower lines. I'd just like a vet BETTER than Feds who can play with the guys on higher lines and not hold them back. Boyes would be that kind of an option. Still think Whitney would be the BEST option.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:02 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I highly doubt Zach will sign with us but obviously you try the best you can to make that possible. I'd love to trade for Ryan if the price was reasonable, if not just try to sign a Whitney/Jagr/Kostitsyn and call it a day.
Whitney isn't what this team needs, unless you plan to break up Richards and Gaborik. Ditto that for Kostitsyn. Jagr with Torts would be a nightmare.

The goal needs to be getting a goal scorer for the second line to play with Stepan. Maybe look to trade for somebody like Michael Ryder.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
This team needs 3rd line depth. It's evident right now, and in the immediate future. Sure, Kreider can play 3rd line next season, but that involves getting one of those guys. The plan should be to get someone that can fill in a 3rd line scoring role that can play the 2nd line until Kreider is ready. People on that list for me include in no particular order:

A. Kostitsyn
Boyes
Whitney
Hudler
David Jones
Stempniak
Kyle Wellwood

Hudler would be the most expensive, and my guess is that Detroit re-signs him. Whitney might stay in Phoenix and he'd be expensive, but for only one season, not impacting the cap after next season. He'd also be a good stop-gap top 6 winger to get Kreider ready and to place Hagelin on a line that he can help produce more. Wellwood would be interesting, but not sure if he's a "Torts" player. Stempniak seems like a likely situation, not as good as the others. David Jones could re-sign with a young Colorado team, I guess he will. A Kost most likely re-signs in Nashville to play with his brother. Boyes to me fits best. Buffalo will not bring him back. He's on the right side of 30 (29 years of age), has skill, but is down this season. Better passer than shooter, but that's not a bad thing for this team. Averages around 45 points a season with about 17 goals. Is he a Torts player? I think he'd be fine on the team. Buffalo has a lot of younger forwards taking his ice-time, and he'd be getting decent minutes here. He'd be cheaper and a viable option to move to the 3rd line if Kreider can play 2nd line or even top line.

I think Hagelin, Dubi, and Kreider is fine on LW, but adding a vet to play where Kreider and Hagelin don't have to play top 6 roles and cause havok on lower lines. I'd just like a vet BETTER than Feds who can play with the guys on higher lines and not hold them back. Boyes would be that kind of an option. Still think Whitney would be the BEST option.
You upgrade and balance out the top six and the rest of the lines fall into place. They need a goal scoring winger. Kostitsyn and Whitney are not goal scorers.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post

A. Kostitsyn
Boyes
Whitney
Hudler
David Jones
Stempniak
Kyle Wellwood

Do you watch how much we over pass...

Old
03-16-2012, 08:22 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
You upgrade and balance out the top six and the rest of the lines fall into place. They need a goal scoring winger. Kostitsyn and Whitney are not goal scorers.
That's where I think you're wrong. They need a top 6 winger, preferably a natural LW. Whitney has 21 goals this season, good for top 60 in the league. You don't think he could play with a line of Callahan and Stepan/Anisimov and make that line so much better with his vision and passing ability to set players up with more chances to score? He wouldn't have to be great in the corners having guys like Step/Arty and Cally on his line, since they are already good in the corners.

This team needs skill and Whitney, albeit for possibly only one season, would be a very good option for this team to allow our younger players to learn and grow at the NHL/AHL level and still put up points in our top 6. You'd be crazy to say Whitney would not work well in our top 6. His level of talent and passing would be great on the PP as well. If this team had an average PP, they'd be a top 10 offense (currently 11th). Whitney's playmaking ability will provide more goals for our other players AND add another 20 goal/60 point guy to the roster.

Also, if you play him with Gaborik and Richards, he'll shoot more because of the talent he's playing with. The guy has skill, and that's what we lack. To me, it appears to be a no-brainer to investigate and see if he wants to play in NY with a young team on the rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Do you watch how much we over pass...
I think that has to do with players that not providing better passes to get a shot off with. How many times have we seen players not able to shoot off the pass due to passes not being where they need to be. Better passers will equate to more shots because they are giving a better pass to a potential shooter.

Last edited by mrjimmyg89: 03-16-2012 at 08:27 PM.
mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:22 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

The Nash trade will be revisited. He seems to want the Rangers, the Rangers want him. We have some assets to spare.

I like David Jones a lot too. Ray Whitney wouldn't be a bad choice either.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Im dreaming of this:

(assuming SJ crashes and burns and makes wholesale changes)

Del Zotto, Anisimov for Pavelski

and sign Suter to a retirement deal thus minimizing his cap-hit

Hagelin Richards Gaborik
Pavelski Stepan Kreider (USA line)
Zuccarello Dubinsky Callahan
Rupp Boyle Prust
Mitchell

Staal Girardi
McDonagh Suter
Erixon Stralman
Sauer if he recovers
McIlrath and Bickel in the AHL in case of injuries