HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What snipers should we seek BESIDES Parise?

Old
03-16-2012, 08:27 PM
mrhockey193195

vCash: 500
If we don't get Parise, I'd love Whitney on a 1-year contract...problem is, we'd have to move one of our LWs to RW (since I'm not in the "trade Dubi" boat). At first I though Hagelin would be best suited for that, but since he's got chemistry with Richie and Gabs...

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Whitney-Stepan-Callahan
Kreider-Dubinsky-Anisimov
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Whitney isn't what this team needs, unless you plan to break up Richards and Gaborik. Ditto that for Kostitsyn. Jagr with Torts would be a nightmare.

The goal needs to be getting a goal scorer for the second line to play with Stepan. Maybe look to trade for somebody like Michael Ryder.
Torts could eat Ryder alive just as much as Jagr. Neither want to play defense or block shots.

If we can sign Suter, and dangle DZ and Anisimov for Pavelski once SJ crashes and burns yet again, I'll be a happy happy man.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:36 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Torts could eat Ryder alive just as much as Jagr. Neither want to play defense or block shots.

If we can sign Suter, and dangle DZ and Anisimov for Pavelski once SJ crashes and burns yet again, I'll be a happy happy man.
I don't recall anyone questioning Ryder's heart. Ryder has never intentionally dogged it to force a trade. Ryder has never mentioned that he doesn't play hard every night because he's saving himself for the the playoffs. Oh and Ryder isn't 40 and on pace for 21 goals.

03-16-2012, 08:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
That's where I think you're wrong. They need a top 6 winger, preferably a natural LW. Whitney has 21 goals this season, good for top 60 in the league. You don't think he could play with a line of Callahan and Stepan/Anisimov and make that line so much better with his vision and passing ability to set players up with more chances to score? He wouldn't have to be great in the corners having guys like Step/Arty and Cally on his line, since they are already good in the corners.

This team needs skill and Whitney, albeit for possibly only one season, would be a very good option for this team to allow our younger players to learn and grow at the NHL/AHL level and still put up points in our top 6. You'd be crazy to say Whitney would not work well in our top 6. His level of talent and passing would be great on the PP as well. If this team had an average PP, they'd be a top 10 offense (currently 11th). Whitney's playmaking ability will provide more goals for our other players AND add another 20 goal/60 point guy to the roster.

Also, if you play him with Gaborik and Richards, he'll shoot more because of the talent he's playing with. The guy has skill, and that's what we lack. To me, it appears to be a no-brainer to investigate and see if he wants to play in NY with a young team on the rise.
I don't think they lack skill, they lack skill that finishes. Anisimov and Dubinsky have plenty of skill and lack plenty of finish.

And if you add Whitney and play him with Richards and Gaborik, you still have the same problem one line of production.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:43 PM
dethomas07

SJ isn't going to trade Palvelski for AA and MDZ... especially if they have BURNS, boyle who are both PP defense and signed long term... McD if anything, but they'll have a **** load of money tied up on d..

Nash for AA, Dubinsky, prospect and 2012 1st

Ryan would cost a lot more (doubt hes traded anyway)

wouldn't mind a run at E. Kane/wheeler, bring in kreider and just grow from there...

13' FA class is another good class with Crosby (def not going anywhere), Getz and Perry to name a few...

suter wouldn't fit bc then you would deff have to trade one of Erixon/MDZ/McD/Staal..we already have to many lefties...

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:45 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethomas07 View Post
Nash for AA, Dubinsky, prospect and 2012 1st
Done and done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethomas07 View Post
wouldn't mind a run at E. Kane/wheeler, bring in kreider and just grow from there...
Huge difference between Kane and Wheeler.

Old
03-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Whitney isn't what this team needs, unless you plan to break up Richards and Gaborik. Ditto that for Kostitsyn. Jagr with Torts would be a nightmare.

The goal needs to be getting a goal scorer for the second line to play with Stepan. Maybe look to trade for somebody like Michael Ryder.
Whitney makes a lot of sense to me for two reasons:
1) He's the epitome of consistency. The last time he put up less than 50 pts was 03-04, and he would've hit that had he played the entire season.
2)He'll most likely be a one-year deal, so we don't have to worry too much about his salary.

Ryder is a better natural goal scorer, but are you confident enough that he'll hit 30 again next season to give him a multi-year deal? I'm not, and he is going to get paid. If he takes a 1 year deal we should be all over him, but I doubt he will.

Ih8theislanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:49 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
1) He's the epitome of consistency. The last time he put up less than 50 pts was 03-04, and he would've hit that had he played the entire season.
2)He'll most likely be a one-year deal, so we don't have to worry too much about his salary.

Ryder is a better natural goal scorer, but are you confident enough that he'll hit 30 again next season to give him a multi-year deal? I'm not, and he is going to get paid. If he takes a 1 year deal we should be all over him, but I doubt he will.
I really like Whitney (and have wanted him here since Bure was here). I just think he may be redundant right now.

The beauty of Ryder is he's signed for next season. So you can see how he does here before committing to him.

Old
03-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
I don't recall anyone questioning Ryder's heart. Ryder has never intentionally dogged it to force a trade. Ryder has never mentioned that he doesn't play hard every night because he's saving himself for the the playoffs. Oh and Ryder isn't 40 and on pace for 21 goals.
All true, but what does any of that have to do with what I said? Ryder doesn't play defense and he doesn't particularly block shots.

And if we're arguing Ryder vs Jagr, I think the fact that the only time Ryder broke 60 points was before the lockout and the fact that Jagr at 41 is still a much, much better offensive player and would automatically improve the disaster PP might lead Torts to look at Jagr as "finding a way" to score rather than immediately put him in the doghouse, whereas Ryder doesn't have the elite vision, posession or scoring ability to fall back on.

To put it in perspective, Gaborik is NOT a Torts player, and we've seen Torts scream at him for not stopping on pucks, but even though he's soft as cream, because Gaborik "finds a way" to score goals, Tortorella continues to give him ice time and praise him. If Jagr came here, it would likely be a similar scenario. And unlike the Jagr Ranger teams of the past, we actually have the defense and center depth to not rely 100% on Jagr as the only weapon.

I don't think we should go after Jagr unless we miss out on Parise and Suter, and Howson continues to demand too much for Nash, and Ryan and any other true snipers aren't available. At that point we'd be better off signing Jagr as a stop-gap than standing pat, like Jon said. Like I said, I'm certainly not advocating that Jagr should be our target, but if it's between Ryder and Jagr, it's a no brainer. Ryder is everything negative about Gaborik, minus the speed, and half the goal scorer. He can score when he's wide open. Not much else to his game. If he was a FA, then he might be considerable as a Plan D, but to give up assets for Michael Ryder? He didn't even crack 20 goals the previous two years. He's having a good year for sure, but he's not a solution for this team at all. Wildly inconsistent from game to game, and doesn't play the Ranger style at all.

Old
03-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:

Ryder isn't even a free agent. He's suggesting trading for him I guess....

Old
03-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
I really like Whitney (and have wanted him here since Bure was here). I just think he may be redundant right now.

The beauty of Ryder is he's signed for next season. So you can see how he does here before committing to him.
I hear you, but it seems like we've always taken on this projects or a player that we hope can pan out, for once I'd like to take the (almost) sure-thing. Also, I thought Ryder was a UFA so my bad on that one.

Ih8theislanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

The thing with Ryder is that he was never majorly relied on for offense in Boston, although he had a very good playoff run with them, he was more of a depth guy for them. He's more heavily relied on in Dallas for offense, since Dallas lacks the offensive depth BOS had last year (When healthy) So he can play both roles, is what I'm getting at.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:18 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
I don't think they lack skill, they lack skill that finishes. Anisimov and Dubinsky have plenty of skill and lack plenty of finish.

And if you add Whitney and play him with Richards and Gaborik, you still have the same problem one line of production.
Outside of Richards, Gaborik, and Stepan, I don't see a guy on the roster with amazing skill. Hagelin uses his speed to gain an advantage on players. Cally scores more dirty goals, but he's showing his skill more and more. Anisimov and Dubi show flashes, but it's not consistent enough IMO. Whitney provides a consistent force in the top 6. He's turned Radmin Vrbata into a 30 goal guy, and I think Vrbata is a good player, but not a 30 goal guy. He's a better option than Doan as well. Outside of Parise, he'd be the next player I want to sign in free agency based on the team we have and the players we have improving and/or coming up from the minor levels. Putting Whitney with Gabby and Richards is an option. I'd like him on another line balancing the lines out instead of having on amazingly talented line and 3 other lines.

Also, I'd take Whitney over players like Nash and Ryan for the simple fact they require sending assets we have to get them. I'd take Ryan over Nash, but I'd take Whitney over them both as we keep our young players, expand our depth, and give up nothing except cap space to get him onto the roster. Keep our youth, plug pieces in through free agency, trade when it is the proper time, which I don't think it is time to yet. we've just started building. Let's get more depth in this draft and then I'd be willing to move assets to pick up another elite talent if needed.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:18 PM
eco's bones

Agree that Parise isn't a sniper per se. He's a very smart--on the small side--hard working winger who crashes the net--more likely to get dirty goals than clean ones.

Not saying the Rangers won't get him as an UFA but i have a lot of doubt about it. I don't think we'll get Ryan or Nash either--mainly because I think they'll cost too much.

Whitney is too old and Boyes sucks. Rangers offensive stats would be a lot better if they had a better pwp. That might happen sticking with what we have now and adding someone like Suter or someone with a big shot that can play pwp point.

Final analysis though--no matter what we don't have the talent of a healthy Penguins team. We have to close the gap with them in another way. And that will require a commitment to defense.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:20 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Parise. Please.

His mindset and the way he approaches every shift, fits this team's identity. And he's a stud.

Trade Dubinsky at the draft to move up.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:36 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Ryder isn't even a free agent. He's suggesting trading for him I guess....
Help? Form a guy with 30 goals? Yeah, the NYR could use that kind of help. See? Smilies are fun. I mean, it's true, Ryder is no Mats Zuccarello.

Old
03-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

I'd be very happy signing Parise to a retirement deal, and Boyes to a cheap 1 year deal.

Hagelin Richards Gaborik
Parise Stepan Kreider
Dubinsky Anisimov Callahan
Boyes Boyle Prust
Rupp
Mitchell

Not necessarily the lines, but the depth chart.

Boyes could be cheap insurance in case Kreider really isn't ready.

He's a former 40 goal scorer. I think quite a few teams will be offering him a 1 year deal.

Old
03-16-2012, 09:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
The thing with Ryder is that he was never majorly relied on for offense in Boston, although he had a very good playoff run with them, he was more of a depth guy for them. He's more heavily relied on in Dallas for offense, since Dallas lacks the offensive depth BOS had last year (When healthy) So he can play both roles, is what I'm getting at.
He wouldn't relied on here if he played on the second line. Behind a Richards-Gaborik line.

Old
03-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I actually wouldn't mind having Jagr for a year.

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Jagr
Rupp-Boyle-Prust
i dig these lines. i think Dubi might go this off season however.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Help? For a guy with 30 goals? Yeah, the NYR could use that kind of help. See? Smilies are fun. I mean, it's true, Ryder is no Mats Zuccarello.
Oh my goodness, he scored 30 goals with tons of ice-time in Dallas? No way!

He scored 18 and 19 goals the two previous years on a Boston team that is similar to how our team will look next year in terms of depth. He won't be getting the ice-time he got this year on the Rangers.

Not to mention he's WILDLY inconsistent from game to game, doesn't block shots or play defense, and has only cracked 60 points once (03-04). Do you really believe another inconsistent "maybe player" is the solution for us? Come on.

Like I said, if he were a free agent, he could be a decent stop-gap backup plan if all else falls through, but you're seriously advocating giving up assets for him???

Old
03-16-2012, 09:43 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I hear you, but it seems like we've always taken on this projects or a player that we hope can pan out, for once I'd like to take the (almost) sure-thing. Also, I thought Ryder was a UFA so my bad on that one.
I don't disagree that they need a guy who pans out. I'd just rather that be a goal scorer.

Old
03-16-2012, 09:54 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Oh my goodness, he scored 30 goals with tons of ice-time in Dallas? No way!

He scored 18 and 19 goals the two previous years on a Boston team that is similar to how our team will look next year in terms of depth. He won't be getting the ice-time he got this year on the Rangers.

Not to mention he's WILDLY inconsistent from game to game, doesn't block shots or play defense, and has only cracked 60 points once (03-04). Do you really believe another inconsistent "maybe player" is the solution for us? Come on.

Like I said, if he were a free agent, he could be a decent stop-gap backup plan if all else falls through, but you're seriously advocating giving up assets for him???
Yeah. He's a guy who's scored no less than 50 points only three times in his career but has scored over 55 five times with this year probably making it six.

Consistency? He averages 57 points a season and 32 goals a season. Can you say that Dubinsky or Anisimov (or Zuccarrello) can do that? Yeah, I'd take that consistency.

Cracked 60 point once? How many second liners have cracked 60 points? How many have averaged 3 points less for a career?

And giving up assets to get him offers the opportunity to move salary. Oh, and capspace is an asset. Even if the Columbus GM doesn't realize that.

Old
03-16-2012, 09:56 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
We rarely see eye to eye, but I agree with this.

Parise is outstanding and would fit in perfectly on this team. However, with Kreider coming up, and the chance that Parise re-signs in NJ especially if they do well in the playoffs somehow, I'd really like to see us go hard after Suter. I just feel that Suter has more of an impact on a game on a shift by shift basis than Parise. Suter is the perfect blend of Staal and Girardi, and an even better passer than both combined. He does EVERYTHING exceptionally well, and is the epitome of a playoff warrior defenseman. If we signed Suter to a retirement deal and thus minimizing his cap-hit, then we'd have more options to move a guy like DZ if the right star winger becomes available. Key word: the RIGHT star winger. Ie: NOT 7.8 Rick Nash (who I'd still trade for at the right price, just not DZ or McD). If we trade for Nash, especially after what Howson pulled the first time, it will be on our terms and people will be calling it the Gomez trade part 2.
Like your attitude

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:57 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Revisit the Nash trade.

To expect Kreider to come in and fix the offensive woes on this team is setting yourself up for disaster and I like Kreider.

And please keep Jagr as far away from this team as possible.

Trade bait: Dubinsky, Anisimov, 1st round pick.
Like the trade bait.

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:58 PM
satrabyk

Oh 2 snipers isnt enough we need a handfull, maybe a dozen. will give 5 mil each and than parise to 10 mil for the first year and move Richie down to the 2nd line, than get Ryan and maybe Getzlaf on the third line.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote