HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offensive Underperformers

Old
03-16-2012, 02:52 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Offensive Underperformers

All of our forwards must contribute well offensively because our defense was not built to score. This puts a lot of pressure on our forwards, but regardless, not performing is 100% unacceptable. I'm not talking assists though ladies, I'm talking goals. We have a few guys who have been nothing more than glorified penalty killers and have not carried their weight offensively.

Boyle (6 goals, $1.7M)
Dubinsky (7 goals, $4.2M)
Rupp (4 goals, $1.5M)

17 goals for $7.4M.

These are the three biggest offenders IMO.

I wouldn't criticize Boyle if he was playing on the fourth line (where he belongs), but as a third line center he's coming up too short.

Dubinsky is by far the most immensely overpaid player on our roster right now. The worst part is he keeps getting chances and keeps missing these opportunities.

I don't even think Rupp kills penalties. For $1.5M he's getting paid to be more than a goon, so if he isn't going to kill penalties he better put the puck in the net more.

Who do you guys think the offensive slackers are?

Last edited by KingWantsCup: 03-16-2012 at 07:42 PM.
KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Boyle (6 goals, $1.2M)
Rupp (4 goals, $1.5M)
One of these is very much not like the others.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:57 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
One of these is very much not like the others.
I'm not asking for the moon from Rupp. I know he's a fourth line goon but he is overpaid until he puts a few more in for us. I would be happy with 8 goals from him. You can call that nit picking, but in the cap era I want maximum production per dollar.

Old
03-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
I'm not asking for the moon from Rupp. I know he's a fourth line goon but he is overpaid until he puts a few more in for us. I would be happy with 8 goals from him. You can call that nit picking, but in the cap era I want maximum production per dollar.
I'm not talking about Rupp, I'm talking about the guy that makes more money than the other two combined and has more career points than the other two combined.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Rupp earned half his paycheck with the Winter Classic. The other half is his to earn in the playoffs.

Like the OP, I wouldn't have a problem with Boyle if he was on the fourth line. But Torts acknowledged yesterday that his line is getting scored on too much, so maybe he finally gets moved down.

Dubinsky is the one I have a big problem with, and if he shows nothing in the playoffs, then I have no problem with Slats if he trades him at the draft.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:02 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I'm not talking about Rupp, I'm talking about the guy that makes more money than the other two combined and has more career points than the other two combined.
Haha apologies then. I was expected to be attacked for picking on a fourth liner.

Further validating my Rupp point since I'm on the topic, he averaged 11 goals a year with the Penguins. He's gotta pick it up a bit. Dubinsky is the worst of the three though, I agree.

Old
03-16-2012, 03:04 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Rupp earned half his paycheck with the Winter Classic. The other half is his to earn in the playoffs.

Like the OP, I wouldn't have a problem with Boyle if he was on the fourth line. But Torts acknowledged yesterday that his line is getting scored on too much, so maybe he finally gets moved down.

Dubinsky is the one I have a big problem with, and if he shows nothing in the playoffs, then I have no problem with Slats if he trades him at the draft.
I too am holding out judgement on Dubinsky until the playoffs conclude for us. He still is one of our best playoff performers. If that vanishes, then he's in deep trouble.

Old
03-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
I too am holding out judgement on Dubinsky until the playoffs conclude for us. He still is one of our best playoff performers. If that vanishes, then he's in deep trouble.
I wasn't opposed to Sather trading him at the deadline for an upgrade, but now we're kind of stuck with him, so either he shows us why he stayed, or he's out this summer.

Old
03-16-2012, 03:29 PM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

I used to think dubi was as good as cally but this season really turned me around on that one, hate to think dubi is the type of player who will only show at contract time (dont believe that), i heard all this season from sam and joe how they felt he was tryin too hard but only 7 goals seems incredibly small at this point of the year. there is still the playoffs and as a dubi fan i would love to see him see the light.
as for boyle, i dont think it is production as opposed to production vs toi, his line seems to do a fair job keepin the puck in the offensive zone but never seem to capitalize. if boyle is on pk and 4th line id be hard pressed to get as upset over his numbers. a lot of the venom voiced at boyle has to be placed at the foot of torts who continues to try and hammer the square peg into the round hole.
rupp missed part of the season and is on the 4th line so his numbers are harder to pick on. earlier poster had it right, WC was basically saved on his stick and where he earned a lot of ranger fans over. hes not a top 9 forward and hasnt been as to play on any of top 3 lines much so he gets a pass, at least to me.

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:07 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
All of our forwards must contribute well offensively because our defense was not built to score. This puts a lot of pressure on our forwards, but regardless, not performing is 100% unacceptable. I'm not talking assists though ladies, I'm talking goals. We have a few guys who have been nothing more than glorified penalty killers and have not carried their weight offensively.

Boyle (6 goals, $1.2M)
Rupp (4 goals, $1.5M)

These are the three biggest offenders IMO.

I wouldn't criticize Boyle if he was playing on the fourth line (where he belongs), but as a third line center he's coming up too short.

Dubinsky is by far the most immensely overpaid player on our roster right now. The worst part is he keeps getting chances and keeps missing these opportunities.

I don't even think Rupp kills penalties. For $1.5M he's getting paid to be more than a goon, so if he isn't going to kill penalties he better put the puck in the net more.

Who do you guys think the offensive slackers are?
They're not paying Rupp to score goals. And the goals he's scored have been big.

03-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Brad Richards is underperforming too, to be fair.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:08 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Brad Richards is underperforming too, to be fair.
He's just started to play with Gaborik and the ice time they're spending together is really starting to pay off. His numbers this year are actually pretty good, despite not playing with Gaborik much.

Old
03-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

20+ goals is also a good deal more than seven.

Seven.

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 06:42 PM
ThirdEye

I think Richards has redeemed himself. Plus, he has 8 GWG.

Dubinsky and Boyle have been a complete disaster offensively. Their under-performing will probably ultimately cost us the division

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Boyle makes 1.7 mil.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Ail
k.

Dubinsky's streakiness and inconsistency have worn out their welcome. For once I agree this kid needs to be traded because he's not going to live up to that contract.

Last edited by Ail: 03-16-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 07:04 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Dubinsky's streakiness and inconsistency have worn out there welcome. For once I agree this kid needs to be traded because he's not going to live up to that contract.
He hasn't even been streaky this season. Just flat out invisible

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 07:41 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Boyle makes 1.7 mil.
Even worse.

I'll update it.

Old
03-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billionaire Bot View Post
20+ goals is also a good deal more than seven.

Seven.
It's truly unacceptable. Especially when he's given the opportunity to prove himself again and again, and has no injury problems that we know of. The mystery of Dubinksy is something to behold.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:17 PM
smoneil

Hey look, this thread again. Thank god we're having this thread for the one billionth time this season, or I never would have known that Dubinsky is having a down year.

Honestly, at this point, I don't know what's more amusing--the fact that the same 5 or 6 guys feel the need to **** on a struggling player for an off year at EVERY opportunity, or the fact that they honestly seem to think that Dubinsky is the first 25 year old player in history to have an off year.

One last time--he's pressing. Based on the literally hundreds of professional athletes who have gone through a similar situation, he's almost certainly going to bounce back once he can put this season behind him (ie- the postseason or next season--he needs a new start to get his head straight). If he DOES get traded, it's absolutely idiotic to do it before the 2013 trade deadline. But go ahead. Keep beating that dead horse. I think it can get just a little bit more dead.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Since I was bored, I decided to calculate how many goals and points are scored per each million of a forward's contract: (This is cap hit, not salary)

Goals Per Million
Richards 3.5
Dubi 1.7
Cally 6
Artie: 7.4
Gabby: 4.7
Hags (ELC) 16
Step (ELC) 17
Boyle: 3.5
Mitchell: 7.7
Rupp 2.7
Feds: 5.7
Prust: 6.25

Now, I'd argue that overall points are more important, or else Vancouver should theoretically kick H. Sedin out of town:

Richards 8.3
Dubi 6.19
Cally 11
Artie 17
Gabby 8.8
Hags (ELC) 40
Step (ELC) 51
Boyle 11
Mitchell 23
Rupp 3.3
Feds 11
Prust 21

Keep in mind that these are just numbers. They know nothing of a player's age, defensive play, intangibles, leadership. Also, these will get higher over the course of the season, as I used current point totals, not projected ones.

Old
03-16-2012, 11:26 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
Hey look, this thread again. Thank god we're having this thread for the one billionth time this season, or I never would have known that Dubinsky is having a down year.

Honestly, at this point, I don't know what's more amusing--the fact that the same 5 or 6 guys feel the need to **** on a struggling player for an off year at EVERY opportunity, or the fact that they honestly seem to think that Dubinsky is the first 25 year old player in history to have an off year.

One last time--he's pressing. Based on the literally hundreds of professional athletes who have gone through a similar situation, he's almost certainly going to bounce back once he can put this season behind him (ie- the postseason or next season--he needs a new start to get his head straight). If he DOES get traded, it's absolutely idiotic to do it before the 2013 trade deadline. But go ahead. Keep beating that dead horse. I think it can get just a little bit more dead.
This thread is not solely about Dubinsky. This is about every offensively under performing player, so don't try and make it our like I'm some kind of Dubinsky hater.

Do you think I enjoy knowing that Dubinsky is struggling? My first Rangers jersey ever was a Dubinsky jersey. Of course I want him to succeed. I haven't forgotten that he's our best playoff performer besides Lundqvist. This is a team with real needs offensively however. I'm very disappointed with his production and I know he is too, I know he genuinely cares. He's a heart and soul type player, but when you look at things objectively this is a bad situation.

Dubinsky is NOT a cheap player. In the event that he doesn't show up in the playoffs, do you take a $4.2M gamble on Dubinsky next year to keep him on the team with the risk of his value lowering even further? At the very least, Sather would listen to trade offers over the Summer.

Do I want it to come to that? Hell no. The fact of the matter remains that Dubinsky signed the type of contract that makes people look to him to score goals, and he's not keeping up with his end of the deal. The playoffs will be huge for him, and I will be there rooting for him.

Old
03-17-2012, 12:26 AM
Mrpuck

While I am not terribly excited about Boyle and Rupp, they serve their purpose if played on the 4th line. Boyle also contributes on the PK and in the FO circle.

Rupp is a character guy, not crazy about him but for 1.2 I can deal with it. You'll want his body out there in a series with the Flyers or Devils.

Dubi is the real problem.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 04:05 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
This thread is not solely about Dubinsky. This is about every offensively under performing player, so don't try and make it our like I'm some kind of Dubinsky hater.

Do you think I enjoy knowing that Dubinsky is struggling? My first Rangers jersey ever was a Dubinsky jersey. Of course I want him to succeed. I haven't forgotten that he's our best playoff performer besides Lundqvist. This is a team with real needs offensively however. I'm very disappointed with his production and I know he is too, I know he genuinely cares. He's a heart and soul type player, but when you look at things objectively this is a bad situation.

Dubinsky is NOT a cheap player. In the event that he doesn't show up in the playoffs, do you take a $4.2M gamble on Dubinsky next year to keep him on the team with the risk of his value lowering even further? At the very least, Sather would listen to trade offers over the Summer.

Do I want it to come to that? Hell no. The fact of the matter remains that Dubinsky signed the type of contract that makes people look to him to score goals, and he's not keeping up with his end of the deal. The playoffs will be huge for him, and I will be there rooting for him.
No hes right whether you meant it or not dubs is in an offensive horror movie whereas boyle and rupp are performing rught about where they should b. You were mistaken to include those two this really is just about dubs. He flat out sucks this year

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 08:41 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
No hes right whether you meant it or not dubs is in an offensive horror movie whereas boyle and rupp are performing rught about where they should b. You were mistaken to include those two this really is just about dubs. He flat out sucks this year
Boyle scored over 20 goals last year, he has 6 right now.

You can argue Rupp I'll give you that, but Boyle is without question Dubinsky's biggest company in terms of under production.