HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Taylor Hall - 03/27/12 UPDATE Out For Rest Of Season With Labrum Surgery

Old
03-17-2012, 01:14 AM
Whoyawit*

vCash: 500
I am so fkn sick of watching guys take runs at THall with absolutely no repercussions. Everyone claims he plays wreckless and too fast and thats why he gets laid out - BS, he gets laid out because we are a team full of pu**ies that refuse to do anything to protect each other. Teams we play laugh at us, and we wonder why theres no respect.
It makes me sick to my stomach to watch these gutless pigeons not stand up for each other.
This better be the last straw for Renney - it seemed to me Tambilini was crawing out of his skin during his interview wanting someone to step up an do something. The only problem is Renney punishes guys for sticking up for each other when they take penalties.
Get us a coach that understands hockey and how to react to situations like tonights.
Embarrassing......

Whoyawit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 01:17 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemsky8371 View Post
Based on early comments from Renney and Eberle, the concussion doesn't sound too serious.

Let's hope this is the case.
they are all serious, and once you get your 1st concussion, they are easier to get more concussions (especially when you play a physical game like hockey)...look at Todd McLelland in SJ, the other day when the oilers scored, he looked extremely uncomfortable from the noise of the goal horn, to the point where he should have went into the hallway to escape the noise.

30 goals is done this year (and isnt even important anymore). Still had a pretty good season, but long term, this is not good. Bring up Tulip next year, try to sign Tootoo and try to draft Wilson this year, we obviously need some players that dont take s*** from the other teams and we need a coach that is willing to use these players to protect the kids.

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 01:19 AM
Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
its rare for any player to play full 82 games anytway
True enough but I still feel Hall will miss more than the average amount of games players miss due to injury.
Of course he can still fill out his frame and actually become a guy that puts people out of a game with a huge hit. People said Ovy would have an injury riddled career due to how he plays the game but he is doing alright health wise. I'm hoping Hall's career mimics Ovy in that regard.

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 01:29 AM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
I still don't think he was knocked out "cold", at least not to what my understanding of "cold" is. Yes his arms were up, but he never stopped moving, was talking to the trainer immediately, and didn't look horrible skating off the ice. All I'm saying is I've seen guys in way worse shape after similar hits.

I'm hoping they take their time with him, but I think talking about sitting him out for 90 days without contact might be a little extreme without knowing the extent of his injury.
He was out...If you watch his arms, they stiffen up completely for about 2 full seconds. He was out during those 2 seconds. That is enough.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 01:30 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
I don't think anyone is saying that it is a "clean hit." A clean hit would imply that a authorized style of hitting that a player could use on a nightly basis. That being said it is not a dirty hit either, Hall lost an edge which cause his body and head to lower to the point that Sarich's intended initial point of contact was no longer a viable option and there was no opportunity to abort the hit in time. Unfortunate circumstance led to Hall's injury, and defiantly not suspension worthy.
agree that he lost his edge, but even if he didnt lose an edge there, he would have gotten smoked because Sarich wasnt letting up on a player that was watching the puck come around the boards (what else was he supposed to do there?) and was therefore in a vulnerable position (isnt that the EXACT type of hit they are trying to get out of the game)? Or will they make an "exception" because the flamers are in a playoff race? Looked to me like he was coming at him elbows up (seems to be the way everybody hits nowadays, would be nice to see them get taught to hit with their lower bodies like they did years ago).

Old
03-17-2012, 01:45 AM
Oilers10

This is really depressing. I love the character of HAll but his play needs work.

Like seirously, he's always falling and tripping over himself its getting ridiculous. For a guy that's supposed to be such a good skater why is he always falling? Last game he almost got cut in the face when he fell for no apparent reason. I like the guy but he's so hard to cheer for watching him play like this.

WHY CAN'T WE GET A STAMKOS!!! We're gonna likely have 3 picks in the top 2 of the draft and none of them will be generational talents (although I love RNH he's gonna be something special).

Oilers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 01:48 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post
agree that he lost his edge, but even if he didnt lose an edge there, he would have gotten smoked because Sarich wasnt letting up on a player that was watching the puck come around the boards (what else was he supposed to do there?) and was therefore in a vulnerable position (isnt that the EXACT type of hit they are trying to get out of the game)? Or will they make an "exception" because the flamers are in a playoff race? Looked to me like he was coming at him elbows up (seems to be the way everybody hits nowadays, would be nice to see them get taught to hit with their lower bodies like they did years ago).

That all depends on what you think Hall would have done if he hadn't lost an edge, if he had stayed facing the glass playing the puck then yea Sarich's hit would have been extremely dangerous as Hall would have been in a vulnerable position as you said. However when I watch the play it is my opinion that based on the angle Hall was going at at the moment prior too and just as he looses the edge Hall was getting ready to try and break out across the blue line which would have brought him face to face with Sarich. This would have likely of lead to a shoulder to shoulder or shoulder to chest hit based on where his shoulder was in the video. Could you have made an argument for a potential charging penalty, sure I guess but I don't think that if Hall had kept his footing hit would have been any more dangerous than what actually happened to him.

03-17-2012, 02:07 AM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
I just wish he was more like Messier and he would just crosscheck someone to face
I don't think a crosscheck helps Hall stay on his feet any better. Sarich is a knob, but the concussion wasn't his fault.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 02:14 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
That all depends on what you think Hall would have done if he hadn't lost an edge, if he had stayed facing the glass playing the puck then yea Sarich's hit would have been extremely dangerous as Hall would have been in a vulnerable position as you said. However when I watch the play it is my opinion that based on the angle Hall was going at at the moment prior too and just as he looses the edge Hall was getting ready to try and break out across the blue line which would have brought him face to face with Sarich. This would have likely of lead to a shoulder to shoulder or shoulder to chest hit based on where his shoulder was in the video. Could you have made an argument for a potential charging penalty, sure I guess but I don't think that if Hall had kept his footing hit would have been any more dangerous than what actually happened to him.
not really sure if we're agreeing to disagree or if we're agreeing with each other, but either way, you now have a new player that deserves to get his head crushed. The kids and the Hall approve this message.

Old
03-17-2012, 02:21 AM
Dont Hinder Jinder

I guess this is what they meant when they said "Reckless", I think the impact would have been significantly less severe had he not fallen. Which is becoming too common now...

Dont Hinder Jinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 02:32 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Don't worry, our injuries will lessen once the new arena opens.

Better ice, FTW.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 03:07 AM
Gabriel6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoyawit View Post
I am so fkn sick of watching guys take runs at THall with absolutely no repercussions. Everyone claims he plays wreckless and too fast and thats why he gets laid out - BS, he gets laid out because we are a team full of pu**ies that refuse to do anything to protect each other. Teams we play laugh at us, and we wonder why theres no respect.
It makes me sick to my stomach to watch these gutless pigeons not stand up for each other.
This better be the last straw for Renney - it seemed to me Tambilini was crawing out of his skin during his interview wanting someone to step up an do something. The only problem is Renney punishes guys for sticking up for each other when they take penalties.
Get us a coach that understands hockey and how to react to situations like tonights.
Embarrassing......
I completely agree. I was at the flyers game when grossman mugged hall in the corner. It was unreal. And no oilers did ANYTHING. Eager was on this ice with grossman the next shift and didn't even look at him funny. The next game hall gets run at again and same thing. No reaction. So he strts to get frustrated and chippy. This team is embarrassing to watch in this way. Weak.

Gabriel6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 03:08 AM
Nacho
Special

So does this mean Magnus is coming up again...

Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 03:23 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
So does this mean Magnus is coming up again...
If so it'd be nice to see him play with Omark for at least a few games to see if they can get something going. That said he was playing pretty well with Hemsky before being sent back down.

03-17-2012, 03:30 AM
SilverHaireDevil

If you watch the replay closely, Hall had the wind knocked out of him by Sarich's knees and he's struggling to take a breath. Look at his legs when he stands up, no bambi/spaghetti legs like a guy who just got KO'd, he took a mean knock to the head to be sure, I think it looked worse than it actually was.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 03:48 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

so how many injuries is this now?

might as well stickythis for the kid and his injuries

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 03:54 AM
Cam98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
If you watch the replay closely, Hall had the wind knocked out of him by Sarich's knees and he's struggling to take a breath. Look at his legs when he stands up, no bambi/spaghetti legs like a guy who just got KO'd, he took a mean knock to the head to be sure, I think it looked worse than it actually was.
either way Hall has concussion according to renny. I think Hall is done for the season.

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 04:16 AM
LaGu

Even if he would not have fallen the last sec it would still have been a huge hit. Looking back at it now it actually seems as if Hall falls because he sees the hit coming... I may be wrong about it but look at the replay and at the moment Hall becomes aware of Sarich his body reacts, and then he falls. I obviously get why a player wouldn't want to be crushed (I myself would probably die from a hit like that...) but you need to commit to the hit even if you're at the 'bad end' of of it. The fall made it much worse.

****!

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 04:38 AM
Soundwave

He needs to build up a ton more upper body strength, so he can absorb hits better and not wipe out all over the ice too.

Go train with Gary Roberts.

That didn't look good though. Don't know what else to say about it. I think he's probably done for the year. If he were to come back to play a meaningless few games and got another concussion, then you are beginning to talk about something that could be career threatening like Crosby.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 04:48 AM
Philly85
Moody'

He'll be alright, kids a warrior.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 04:50 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
He'll be alright, kids a warrior.
The problem is concussions aren't one of those things you can "suck it up" and just play through.

The NHL honestly needs to switch to soft cap shoulder pads as well, the amount of concussions is just getting ridiculous at this point.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 08:06 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Hasn't he been injured twice allready in a very similar fashion; once in the pre-season against Vancouver and once against Colorado.

This kid will definately have a very short career. Also, given the response from the rest of the team, not likely in Edmonton. Watch Hall demand a trade soon.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Shizuka

Yeah, I'm with the fans who are putting some of the onus on Hall to improve his balance and strength in the off-season, because while he has incredible blazing speed he stumbles a hell of a lot. I also think he needs to be far more aware of those mack truck collisions coming his way, and play smarter. He still doesn't utilize linemates as well as Eberle, or Nuge -- he (over?)handles the puck alot and as a result, not just because of his draft pedigree, he gets targeted and blown up in huge hits like that.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
I just wish he was more like Messier and he would just crosscheck someone to face
x2........ unfortunately even if he had that mean streak I don't think he would have had time to do it, and that is the problem I have with the hit. Sarich is arriving at the puck at close to the same time as Hall, but Sarich has zero intention of trying to be the first guy to the puck and instead is looking for the hit the second he decides to pinch. Looked early to me. Either way. reminded me of this hit from Sarich a few years back in the first round:

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Sayuri

It's really a shame, unlucky circumstance. For some reason I'm not worried it will affect him, not sure why....just seems like a bounce back guy I guess. Hopefully I'm right.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote