HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mailbag for w/e 3-16-12

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2012, 12:51 PM
  #1
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,817
vCash: 500
Mailbag for w/e 3-16-12

http://media.fans.nhl.com/_Isles-Mai...57/111820.html

__________________
Homeland Security is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:54 PM
  #2
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,462
vCash: 50
Interesting that he thinks Streit should be traded. Not sure Garth will do it, but if he does he needs to have a PP QB coming back. I know he gets a lot of heat in general but you can't deny his big help on the PP.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:23 PM
  #3
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,366
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Interesting that he thinks Streit should be traded. Not sure Garth will do it, but if he does he needs to have a PP QB coming back. I know he gets a lot of heat in general but you can't deny his big help on the PP.
In the same mailbag he points out how weak the ufa market looks,questioning if the isles won't have Donovan,De Haan and Ness on the NYI roster.Three rookies!

Yeah ,trade Streit for a "decent " return, go with 3 rookies on the roster and sign or trade for a couple of 2nd tier d-men.Playoffs here we come.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 06:35 PM
  #4
seafoam
Registered User
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 36,880
vCash: 1000
Wow Streit gone and Weight as the coach? MacKinnon or Barkov here we come!

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 07:35 PM
  #5
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,429
vCash: 500
Question is, does he have an inside track on the Wieight as the coach stuff, or is he getting the vibe by reading the writing on the wall, like we all are?

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:09 PM
  #6
kasper11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,837
vCash: 500
No way would I make Tavares the captain next year. He has enough to deal with carrying the offense every game, don't put any more pressure on him until he has some support around him.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:27 PM
  #7
Veteran journeyman
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
Doug Weight coaching this team is a terrible idea. It's worse than grabbing another AHL coach...Weight has never coached anywhere at any level. The organization needs some experience somewhere. Anywhere. It's not the owner, there is no president of hockey ops, it's not the GM...it has to be the coach then. I don't know if it's an ego thing with Garth or what that he's so opposed to bringing in someone who might know more than he does about the game of hockey.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:50 PM
  #8
Furkmyster
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
I think the team is very much at a cross roads right now. The re-build has stocked prospects into the system, so that cupboard isn't bare anymore. However the lack of an identity at the NHL level, the lack of non-geriatric leadership in the room is a significant problem. I dare say Eaton adds some, as he is not completely useless as a 5th/6th defenceman, but other than him, what FA signing in the last three years has done anything to help? I guess the influx of Devils was an attempt, but it didn't work, as they don't have the talent their roster positions deserved.

Regardless of who is head coach next year, or captain, I really hope the FA adds this off-season are better than what we have been getting recently.

Furkmyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:33 PM
  #9
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk
 
IslesRock4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 20,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
No way would I make Tavares the captain next year. He has enough to deal with carrying the offense every game, don't put any more pressure on him until he has some support around him.
He is already the leader of the team and he knows it. I don't think his mindset will change at all with the C on his chest, it will only be a formality.

__________________

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:21 PM
  #10
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks
 
åboriginal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LV-426
Country: Finland
Posts: 24,027
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
do not want weight as coach. ugh when will this end.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 02:45 AM
  #11
SDIsles34
Registered User
 
SDIsles34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by åboriginal View Post
do not want weight as coach. ugh when will this end.
I've never been the type of fan to say " If -------- happens, I am done with this team forever" but Doug Weight being named head coach would just about do it.

Always considered myself optimistic and faithful but enough is enough. A coach with NO experience whatsoever running an NHL team is downright embarrassing.

After the Ted Nolan experience, I believe Garth and Charles have the same philosophy, dont hire anyone with more credibility or experience than I do because I WANT THE UPPER HAND!! I WANT TO BE RESPECTED!!

SDIsles34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 03:25 AM
  #12
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
He is already the leader of the team and he knows it. I don't think his mindset will change at all with the C on his chest, it will only be a formality.
.....and in another universe where mental giants run pro teams, a club acquires a leader who can play on the first line and commands top dollar for his ability to improve the team.

We got a defenseman who was sent to play forward as our captain because he had a Grabneresque year. He replaced the old man river guy we made captain before AARP got to him.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 06:50 AM
  #13
chokei
#59
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
.....and in another universe where mental giants run pro teams, a club acquires a leader who can play on the first line and commands top dollar for his ability to improve the team.

We got a defenseman who was sent to play forward as our captain because he had a Grabneresque year. He replaced the old man river guy we made captain before AARP got to him.
Streit definitely wasn't named captain because of his "Grabneresque" year - he was injured the whole year before being named captain, so I don't think it was a performance-based decision.

Before the Islanders, Streit was captaining the ZSC Lions in Switzerland and the Swiss National team. He did that as soon as he reached an age where it seems legitimate to be named captain of a team. To me it seems more like Streit, together with his performance - but not only - , is a leader where he goes.

But yeah, for you Streit only existed since the season playing forward with the canadiens.

I feel sorry for Streit. He signed with the Islanders thinking that the team will improve over time and that he'll get a chance to be a leader. He took his chance, he played his game (and made good money doing so), but the team stood still. And now he's suddenly the scape goat. He would deserve a fresh start in a fitting role with a new, better team. He has still a few good years in him.

chokei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 08:20 AM
  #14
BillD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Streit definitely wasn't named captain because of his "Grabneresque" year - he was injured the whole year before being named captain, so I don't think it was a performance-based decision.

Before the Islanders, Streit was captaining the ZSC Lions in Switzerland and the Swiss National team. He did that as soon as he reached an age where it seems legitimate to be named captain of a team. To me it seems more like Streit, together with his performance - but not only - , is a leader where he goes.

But yeah, for you Streit only existed since the season playing forward with the canadiens.

I feel sorry for Streit. He signed with the Islanders thinking that the team will improve over time and that he'll get a chance to be a leader. He took his chance, he played his game (and made good money doing so), but the team stood still. And now he's suddenly the scape goat. He would deserve a fresh start in a fitting role with a new, better team. He has still a few good years in him.
Streit is still highly respected on LI, no need to feel sorry for him. He took the offer for a chance to prove that he was a complete defenseman, not a hybrid 4th line forward/PP defenseman/bench warmer that Montreal used him as. He got his chance and a real nice salary. Late 2009 and again this season he has been inconsistent on the D side of the puck, sometimes being outright terrible with his handling, effort, and positioning, but still a gifted play maker. He will get his points but he is not now a 2 way defenseman.
I see him as an adequate #3 defenseman and power play staple. If he does not regress further, that is a nice spot for him, which pushes AMac to #5, a great spot for him on a good defense. Only problem is we need to fill a llegit #1 and #4 D spot as Hamonic IMO can take over the #2 spot regularly.
Streit as a #3 does not mean he has to give up the C, but he is not a vocal leader or is he a guy who always leads by example on the ice. It would be best if Streit voluntarily gave it up to Tavares, who if he will take it, is the prohibitive favorite for the job. Toews was Captain at age 21, Johnny will be 22 and its his team now.

BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 09:18 AM
  #15
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,366
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Streit is still highly respected on LI, no need to feel sorry for him. He took the offer for a chance to prove that he was a complete defenseman, not a hybrid 4th line forward/PP defenseman/bench warmer that Montreal used him as. He got his chance and a real nice salary. Late 2009 and again this season he has been inconsistent on the D side of the puck, sometimes being outright terrible with his handling, effort, and positioning, but still a gifted play maker. He will get his points but he is not now a 2 way defenseman.
I see him as an adequate #3 defenseman and power play staple. If he does not regress further, that is a nice spot for him, which pushes AMac to #5, a great spot for him on a good defense. Only problem is we need to fill a llegit #1 and #4 D spot as Hamonic IMO can take over the #2 spot regularly.
Streit as a #3 does not mean he has to give up the C, but he is not a vocal leader or is he a guy who always leads by example on the ice. It would be best if Streit voluntarily gave it up to Tavares, who if he will take it, is the prohibitive favorite for the job. Toews was Captain at age 21, Johnny will be 22 and its his team now.

Good post.

I think Streit is still respected by some fans ,but he's a whipping for other frustrated fans.

With 4 open spots on next season's blueline ,Snow's inability all season to add a qualit ,top 4 d-man and the weak ufa market , I want to know how many blueline rookies is too many for next season's NYI roster?I think 2 is plenty.Anymore and we are not pushing for a playoff spot.

Few rookie defensemen can do what Hamonic and MacDonald surprisingly did: step onto an nhl roster and play at a high level in the top 4.Think of all the rookie defensemen we've had over the yrs and how few been able to just step in and play so well.

I don't want to go into next season ,heavily counting on De Haan ,Donovan ,Ness and Katic.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 10:05 AM
  #16
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,143
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Streit is still highly respected on LI, no need to feel sorry for him. He took the offer for a chance to prove that he was a complete defenseman, not a hybrid 4th line forward/PP defenseman/bench warmer that Montreal used him as. He got his chance and a real nice salary. Late 2009 and again this season he has been inconsistent on the D side of the puck, sometimes being outright terrible with his handling, effort, and positioning, but still a gifted play maker. He will get his points but he is not now a 2 way defenseman.
I see him as an adequate #3 defenseman and power play staple. If he does not regress further, that is a nice spot for him, which pushes AMac to #5, a great spot for him on a good defense. Only problem is we need to fill a llegit #1 and #4 D spot as Hamonic IMO can take over the #2 spot regularly.
Streit as a #3 does not mean he has to give up the C, but he is not a vocal leader or is he a guy who always leads by example on the ice. It would be best if Streit voluntarily gave it up to Tavares, who if he will take it, is the prohibitive favorite for the job. Toews was Captain at age 21, Johnny will be 22 and its his team now.
Streit isn't a leader at all. He should cough it up.

I said it earlier this year GJ, barring Wang growing a heart and finally supporting his club, our roster will remain the same or get worse next season. Our woes on defense will only compound this summer.

I will say it is nice to see Mr. Compton finally stop blowing BS up our skirts about the Isles improving the blue line this summer and actually make an educated guess, unlike in the past.

I don't see them moving Streit though, not at least until the Winter deadline if/when they are out of it. And if Snow does not forge a trade for a good defensive prospect and we ice two rookies...

Oh brother, it will suck to be an Islander fan.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.