HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

2011-12 All Purpose Kings Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread VIII

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2012, 03:55 PM
  #26
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,925
vCash: 500
Carter isn't going to be playing center much in LA though and Richards is just a hair above 50%. They need someone other than Kopitar who can win more than half of his draws if they let Stoll walk as a UFA.

While I do think Stoll would accept a pay cut to return to LA, I don't think he'll sign for less than $3M, and I think there will be some clubs foolish enough to give him $3M or slightly more than that. Stoll also has a knack for committing plenty of stupid penalties at ill times. Eliminating his needless penalties could serve to benefit the Kings.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:32 PM
  #27
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 6,919
vCash: 500
Loktionov was starting to get hot before Stoll came back. Loki has also played about 55 NHL games in 3 seasons now...I would think it is his shot next year at that 3rd line center spot.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:32 PM
  #28
Fat Elvis
Registered User
 
Fat Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Money Pit
Country: United States
Posts: 5,285
vCash: 500
I can see some team giving Stoll a 3 yr 10-11 mil deal. I don't LA should be in that market for the price.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:50 PM
  #29
Winger23
Registered User
 
Winger23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Loktionov was starting to get hot before Stoll came back. Loki has also played about 55 NHL games in 3 seasons now...I would think it is his shot next year at that 3rd line center spot.
Hot? He scored by getting hit by the puck. Stoll is at least starting to try and run everyone over and takes face offs well.

I just don't see much in him. He has talent but not enough to make up for his size imo

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 06:12 PM
  #30
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,169
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I personally hope Loktionov gets traded. Kopitar and Richards are locked for the long haul at 1 and 2. Loktionov is not a Jordan Staal, he is looking like a terrific center, but he is a 2nd line center. I hope we acquire some more true bottom 6'ers and re-allocate assets like Loktionov to more lucrative pursuits. He doesn't belong on the wing and has no where to go here at center.

It is like with Hickey when we had Doughty and Johnson here, and now Voynov. Hickey would look terrific on a team like the Oilers as a 3-4 guy, like their own Voynov in a sense, but here he is wasting away fighting with Martinez for 5-6. It is the same with Loktionov, he has no shot whatsoever at the top 6, and I have a feeling we re-sign Stoll on the cheap, he will just be here wasting away, fighting over #3 and #4 center slots. Trade him for a promising winger or solid bottom 6 depth.

__________________

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 06:27 PM
  #31
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I personally hope Loktionov gets traded. Kopitar and Richards are locked for the long haul at 1 and 2. Loktionov is not a Jordan Staal, he is looking like a terrific center, but he is a 2nd line center. I hope we acquire some more true bottom 6'ers and re-allocate assets like Loktionov to more lucrative pursuits. He doesn't belong on the wing and has no where to go here at center.

It is like with Hickey when we had Doughty and Johnson here, and now Voynov. Hickey would look terrific on a team like the Oilers as a 3-4 guy, like their own Voynov in a sense, but here he is wasting away fighting with Martinez for 5-6. It is the same with Loktionov, he has no shot whatsoever at the top 6, and I have a feeling we re-sign Stoll on the cheap, he will just be here wasting away, fighting over #3 and #4 center slots. Trade him for a promising winger or solid bottom 6 depth.
Loktionov won't return much in a trade though.

LA hasn't done a whole lot to develop his offensive upside at the NHL level IMO. If he gets traded, he'll probably join the Simmond/Moulson/Purcell club.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 07:52 PM
  #32
Winger23
Registered User
 
Winger23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Loktionov won't return much in a trade though.

LA hasn't done a whole lot to develop his offensive upside at the NHL level IMO. If he gets traded, he'll probably join the Simmond/Moulson/Purcell club.
Perfect as part of a package. Young cheap and has potential

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 07:56 PM
  #33
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,182
vCash: 3733
Better to keep Lokti as our 3rd line center and give him a couple of skilled wingers to play alongside.

Trading him now is only going to come back and bite us on our *****.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:25 PM
  #34
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 12,215
vCash: 500
You don't need the Third line to be a shut down line anymore.

Loki is fine as a Third line center, just give him some skilled wingers. Mike Richards is used as the Shutdown guy.

Mike's line faces the Best Defensive players, and top lines most nights anyway.

Roll three scoring lines.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:37 PM
  #35
Vic Vinegar
Registered User
 
Vic Vinegar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
You don't need the Third line to be a shut down line anymore.

Loki is fine as a Third line center, just give him some skilled wingers. Mike Richards is used as the Shutdown guy.

Mike's line faces the Best Defensive players, and top lines most nights anyway.

Roll three scoring lines.
The third line doesn;t necessarily have to be a shutdown line, but it would definitely be nice to have a center other than Kopitar who has good faceoff numbers. We can't rely on Kopitar for everything.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 02:50 AM
  #36
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMak187 View Post
The third line doesn;t necessarily have to be a shutdown line, but it would definitely be nice to have a center other than Kopitar who has good faceoff numbers. We can't rely on Kopitar for everything.
That's pretty much the point I'm trying to make. Kopitar should have his minutes cut down a bit and reserve some of his big minutes in critical moments or games, not throughout the entire season.

A third center they can depend upon to kill penalties and take important face offs who can focus on the defensive side of the game can help assist the top two lines in allowing them to be more free flowing offensively.

Behind Nieuwendyk and Gilmour there was an Otto, behind Gretzky and Messier there was a MacTavish, behind Lemieux and Francis there was a Trottier, behind Yzerman and Fedorov there was Draper.

If Loktionov struggles, then they're going to be left scrambling to find a suitable third center. I'm not sure if him or Lewis or anyone else in the pipeline can handle the responsibilities that were previously performed successfully by Michal Handzus.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 04:22 AM
  #37
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!
 
agentfouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
That's pretty much the point I'm trying to make. Kopitar should have his minutes cut down a bit and reserve some of his big minutes in critical moments or games, not throughout the entire season.

A third center they can depend upon to kill penalties and take important face offs who can focus on the defensive side of the game can help assist the top two lines in allowing them to be more free flowing offensively.

Behind Nieuwendyk and Gilmour there was an Otto, behind Gretzky and Messier there was a MacTavish, behind Lemieux and Francis there was a Trottier, behind Yzerman and Fedorov there was Draper.

If Loktionov struggles, then they're going to be left scrambling to find a suitable third center. I'm not sure if him or Lewis or anyone else in the pipeline can handle the responsibilities that were previously performed successfully by Michal Handzus.
Just for the sake of discussion, would you say that Stoll is handling those duties adequately now?

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 10:59 AM
  #38
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Carter isn't going to be playing center much in LA though and Richards is just a hair above 50%. They need someone other than Kopitar who can win more than half of his draws if they let Stoll walk as a UFA.

While I do think Stoll would accept a pay cut to return to LA, I don't think he'll sign for less than $3M, and I think there will be some clubs foolish enough to give him $3M or slightly more than that. Stoll also has a knack for committing plenty of stupid penalties at ill times. Eliminating his needless penalties could serve to benefit the Kings.
Just curious as to why you think that Carter won't be moved to C at the end of the season? He is a natural C and would give us a truly formidable four lines up the middle.

I understand that he (JC) is playing well on the wing but having people play out of position as a go to plan isn't a great idea and typically doesn't work out well or as well if you would address the problems that made moving the players necessary.

Stoll can be a very effective player but I wouldn't be too worried to see him go. Center is a position that we can address from within. If we can add a top 6 wing by letting Stoll and his salary walk then we should imo.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 12:07 PM
  #39
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
Just for the sake of discussion, would you say that Stoll is handling those duties adequately now?
Not necessarily, no. I don't have the same confidence in his line as I did with Handzus. Stoll's line doesn't do anything particularly well and I felt that they were outmatched when they were stuck on the ice last night against Anaheim's top unit.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 01:10 PM
  #40
Nose of Sutter
Registered User
 
Nose of Sutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Not necessarily, no. I don't have the same confidence in his line as I did with Handzus. Stoll's line doesn't do anything particularly well and I felt that they were outmatched when they were stuck on the ice last night against Anaheim's top unit.
I agree here, I feel like Zues was more solid defensively and didn't take stupid penalties. He also helped our power-play alot with his screening

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 01:20 PM
  #41
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,169
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Carter has a lot more experience on the wing than Richards does. Not to mention, I wouldn't count Richards out for Carter's current success. Richards is creating a lot of chances and opening a lot of space out there for Carter, not to mention King has been a good compliment. Just because things aren't going Richards' way, doesn't mean that he isn't effectively helping that line produce. Carter should absolutely remain wing and Richards center, their skillsets work the best in that arrangement. Richards is the playmaker, Carter the sniper, and King the guy who goes into dirty areas and retrieves around the net and battles in front of the net.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 01:42 PM
  #42
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!
 
agentfouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Not necessarily, no. I don't have the same confidence in his line as I did with Handzus. Stoll's line doesn't do anything particularly well and I felt that they were outmatched when they were stuck on the ice last night against Anaheim's top unit.
This is what really struck me last night. That line has had decent games in the past so it's not impossible for them to contribute, but right now they're pretty ineffective. It's as if the Kings have two first lines and two fourth lines. Although the fourth line of Fraser between Nolan and Clifford is pretty effective as a kind of energy line, presumably that's in part because they draw easier assignments.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 02:04 PM
  #43
Minor Boarding
Registered User
 
Minor Boarding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Corleone
Posts: 1,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie to Brownie View Post
I agree here, I feel like Zues was more solid defensively and didn't take stupid penalties. He also helped our power-play alot with his screening
Handzus might be bought out by the Sharks since it seems that he can't find his game in SJ.
If that happened, what do you people think about the idea of signing Handzus to a 1 year deal at ~$1mio to play 3/4th line center? He seemed to work ok whilest with the Kings who don't play a uptempo game. Anyone opinion on that?

Maybe try and sign Ray Whitney to a 1 year ~$4mio contract with a NTC/NMC. Sign Handzus ~$1mio/1yr

A bigger 25 players roster (without any Kings prospects making it) with the lower cap projection (the cap could be as high as ~69mio):

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Dustin Brown ($3.175m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Jeff Carter ($5.273m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Dwight King ($1.350m)
Ray Whitney ($4.300m) / Michal Handzus ($1.000m) / Simon Gagne ($3.500m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Jarret Stoll ($2.500m) / Jordan Nolan ($0.532m)
Brad Richardson ($1.175m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.725m) / Trevor Lewis ($0.725m)
DEFENSEMEN
Drew Doughty ($7.000m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.400m)
Willie Mitchell ($3.500m) / Vyacheslav Voinov ($0.817m)
Matt Greene ($2.950m) / Alec Martinez ($0.738m)
Davis Drewiske ($0.617m) / Thomas Hickey ($0.850m)
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m)
Jonathan Bernier ($1.250m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $67,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,245,227; BONUSES: $130,000
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $3,054,773


Last edited by Minor Boarding: 03-17-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 02:24 PM
  #44
Minor Boarding
Registered User
 
Minor Boarding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Corleone
Posts: 1,331
vCash: 500
I would also liked if Lombardi could get Suter for ~$6-7mio cap hit.

Defensive pairings for the future:
Suter-DD
Mitchell-VV
Scuderi*-Greene
Martinez/Drewiske

Scuderi could be dealt in a package to upgrade the forwards position.

Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 02:28 PM
  #45
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,169
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I don't really see Handzus as a third line center anymore, and I don't see him doing much better than Fraser. All I really care about is defense at that point. Chipping in a goal or two is nice, but I don't see Handzus being all that effective anymore, I would rather have someone with energy and youth.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 03:21 PM
  #46
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,016
vCash: 500
If you think Handzus fell off last year...you should watch a few San Jose games.

4th line or pressbox most the time.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 03:29 PM
  #47
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,251
vCash: 672
I would absolutely LOVE to sign Ray Whitney. Dude has so much skill even at his age.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 03:36 PM
  #48
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
I don't see Carter remaining a wing doubly so if you consider the fact that he would give us three exceptionally skilled centers to go with our 3 exceptionally skilled RW's and will leave us only the need to fill in two legitimate LW sniper types. Imagine having Carter Kopitar and MR centering Brown Toffi and Williams, throw in the occasional Gagne King etc on LW and a true first line sniper and we are the scariest team in the league imo.

Carter is a good win and has done as well as expected here so far but consider this, he is an even better center. MR is too and given the offseason to regroup we could be a team that puts 3 ubber talented different styled lines that would be truly difficult to defend.

Our fourth line is going to be truly scary already. I think we are that LW sniper away from greatness.

Carter on wing is good but Carter at C with another top line LW wow.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 03:42 PM
  #49
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France
 
savemefromtears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: City of Angels
Country: United States
Posts: 1,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Boarding View Post
Handzus might be bought out by the Sharks since it seems that he can't find his game in SJ.
Don't you think you should have stopped right there?


savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 03:56 PM
  #50
JBernierFan
Drink up!
 
JBernierFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Boarding View Post
Handzus might be bought out by the Sharks since it seems that he can't find his game in SJ.
Or is it that he's getting old? Who's to say he wouldn't be playing like that on the Kings. We complained most of last year for his slowness and from what Sharks fans say, he's gotten slower. Next year, he's even older. The Handzus of a year or two ago is gone IMO. We need a player LIKE him, but not him anymore, and I love Zus.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.