HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I'm becoming more impressed with the Rangers

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-10-2006, 09:41 PM
  #1
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,429
vCash: 500
I'm becoming more impressed with the Rangers

ability to stay the course throughout the more physical match-up's over the last month.

I'm one of the more vocal guys looking to get someone in here that can dish out punishment equal to what we receive on an almost nightly basis, but after watching the gutty gritty effort against the Flyers and the way we handled the Senators and now tonight after stomping a mudhole in the Leafs I'm very very impressed with how the Rangers don't change the way they approach the game and seem to have total faith in the system that they play and the players they are playing with.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still like to get someone in here like a Nolan or a Tkachuk but if it doesn't happen I think that we're going to be alright.

Yeah, we did our damage on the PP, but that's where you hurt the more physical teams. They tend to take the more aggressive penalties and when that happens, there's nothing better to use to deflate a physical team than a PP goal against them

And I think that we should all give a collective THANK YOU, to Gonchar because that one-timer he taught Jarg is absolutely sick

Let's all get behind Weekes for a very important road game tomorrow before the break.

He could use our support now more than ever.


LET'S GO RANGERS

pld459666 is offline  
Old
02-10-2006, 09:49 PM
  #2
g52*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to g52*
The Rangers have finally snapped out of the mid December/January suck streak and are moving back to the old style of winning like crazy in mid October/November.

g52* is offline  
Old
02-10-2006, 10:00 PM
  #3
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,689
vCash: 500
a win tomorrow gives them 6 in a row...what a great way to head into the break!

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
02-10-2006, 10:09 PM
  #4
NYRGoalieGlut*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g52
The Rangers have finally snapped out of the mid December/January suck streak and are moving back to the old style of winning like crazy in mid October/November.
The Rangers didn't suck as much as they were average (at worst).

NYRGoalieGlut* is offline  
Old
02-10-2006, 11:07 PM
  #5
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor
 
klingsor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 14,106
vCash: 500
Man, remember all those odd man rushes against us the past seven years and 2 d-men on one guy leaving another guy uncovered.

Renney

klingsor is offline  
Old
02-10-2006, 11:08 PM
  #6
TheZherdev
Registered User
 
TheZherdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRGoalieGlut
The Rangers didn't suck as much as they were average (at worst).
Sometimes history HAS to repeat itself with this team. Dec/Jan is always the low point for some reason and to being only avg those games is impressive.

TheZherdev is offline  
Old
02-10-2006, 11:37 PM
  #7
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,730
vCash: 500
All this positivity is starting to freak me out...







McRanger is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 12:32 AM
  #8
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,878
vCash: 500
How couldn't one be impressed with NYR? They are beating every team in their way. And I could care less if Philly didn't have Forsberg, Ottawa is in a mid-February stupor, Toronto is borderline playoff, etc. Those are all good teams with talent.

Best compliment one can give a hockey team is that they are playing like a machine. As on Feb. 10th, NYR is a machine. They are hitting on all cylinders. You can only hope they are at this level come April. If they are, they will be a significant post-season factor.

Yes, I know on paper, they need ya-da-ya-da. Personally, outside of a dropdead offer of a center or depth dman, I wouldn't rush to make any trade pre-deadline. And I certainly would not be looking to move anyone off of the NHL roster.

These will be hard times for the chronic traders on this board.

Trottier is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 01:22 AM
  #9
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,575
vCash: 500
Every team is going to lose sometime. They've been able to bounce back from losses and keep out of losing streaks. Yes they get outhit and they're not that good on faceoffs. You look at some of the d-men and think they're not really that good. Even so they keep on keeping on and hopefully Kevin has a good game tonight and takes us into the break with another 2 points.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 01:26 AM
  #10
Block More Shots
Registered User
 
Block More Shots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
It's all about the system we have and the players' roles in the system. Thank you Renney!

Block More Shots is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 01:31 AM
  #11
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger
All this positivity is starting to freak me out...






Yeah, well if we win tomorrow night we will be twenty games over .500. I'm feeling pretty freaky myself......but in a good way.

Pizza is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 03:06 AM
  #12
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 10,079
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
How couldn't one be impressed with NYR? They are beating every team in their way. And I could care less if Philly didn't have Forsberg, Ottawa is in a mid-February stupor, Toronto is borderline playoff, etc. Those are all good teams with talent.

Best compliment one can give a hockey team is that they are playing like a machine. As on Feb. 10th, NYR is a machine. They are hitting on all cylinders. You can only hope they are at this level come April. If they are, they will be a significant post-season factor.

Yes, I know on paper, they need ya-da-ya-da. Personally, outside of a dropdead offer of a center or depth dman, I wouldn't rush to make any trade pre-deadline. And I certainly would not be looking to move anyone off of the NHL roster.

These will be hard times for the chronic traders on this board.

Trottier just come over to the dark side, I know you want to.

And this is a great point. I've already been flamed by fellow Ranger fans on "standing pat" unless the deal is too good to pass up, but glad someone else, even an Islander fan, feels the same way.

MisterUnspoken is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 11:55 AM
  #13
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
Trottier just come over to the dark side, I know you want to.

And this is a great point. I've already been flamed by fellow Ranger fans on "standing pat" unless the deal is too good to pass up, but glad someone else, even an Islander fan, feels the same way.


Nah, I'm having a swell time in hockey purgatory.

Regarding trades, it's a fine line. Not saying don't make a deal; you always look to improve. But I would not want to upset my current NHL roster. "Chemistry" is an overused word, but take 20+ guys in room who are kicking *** and suddenly break them up down the stretch drive...and you are tempting fate.

Rather, it becomes an issue of who in your system (non-NHLers) would you be willing to move for the right "piece(s)"...and of course, who would be desired by a trade partner). Of course, you do not mortgage the future;you don't have to. But at the same time, you do not even think a nanosecond about moving guys like Rucchin for "futures," or bring up the "R" word when you are challenging for the top of the Conference in mid-February! Newsflash: you have rebuilt! You have gone in a NY minute (pun intended) from a pulseless franchise to a contender, odd as that may still sound. Now the challenge is to get to the very top rung. And the chance to do that is squarely right in front of you over the next four months, especially April onward.

IMO, Any moves from here until March have to be with a focus exclusively on improving your chances to win the Cup this spring. Sound weird? Well, I'm wondering how many people in February 2004 thought the Lightning and Flames were headed to the Cup Finals, either.

I recognize that a lot of NYR fans are gunshy about moving any young talent whatsoever, given the team's record of failure "going old" in recent years. And, likely, some still do not see a contender when looking over the names of paper. (I'm still trying to figure out who exactly is your "#2 center"! ) But the record - this far into the season - doesn't lie. Skepticism in November, even early January, may have been wise. Not anymore, IMO. This team is not going to remain as red-hot, now through June, as they are today, but they are legitimate contenders.

So...When you see a chance you take it...because they do not necessarily come around every season. NYR CLEARLY has a chance, non-believers notwithstanding.

Just my opinion.


Last edited by Trottier: 02-11-2006 at 01:55 PM.
Trottier is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 12:24 PM
  #14
Block More Shots
Registered User
 
Block More Shots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
If we're going to make any moves, we have to make sure they fit and are known to have good working attitudes. For example, Petr Sykora...probably the best possible fit for us and the fact that he is a top 6 forward was great.

If we go for a 6th or 7th d-man, let's get someone who has the ability to play within the system and get the job done.

Block More Shots is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 12:39 PM
  #15
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Question. how do you can your GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier


Nah, I'm having a swell time in hockey purgatory.

Regarding trades, it's a fine line. Not saying don't make a deal; you always look to improve. But I would not want to upset my current NHL roster. "Chemistry" is an overused word, but take 20+ guys in room who are kicking *** and suddenly break them up down the stretch drive...and you are tempting fate.

Rather, it becomes an issue of who in your system (non-NHLers) would you be willing to move for the right "piece(s)"...and of course, who would be desired by a trade partner). Of course, you do not mortgage the future;you don't have to. But at the same time, you do not even think a nanosecond about moving guys like Rucchin for "futures," or bring up the "R" word when you are challenging for the top of the Conference in mid-February! Newsflash: you have rebuilt! You have gone in a NY minute (pun intended) from a pulseless franchise to a contender, odd as that may still sound. Now the challenge is to get to the very top rung. And the chance to do that is squarely right in front of you over the next four months, especially April onward.

IMO, Any moves from here until March have to be with a focus exclusively on improving your chances to win the Cup this spring. Sound weird? Well, I'm wondering how many people in February 2004 thought the Lightning and Flames were headed to the Cup Finals, either.

I recognize that a lot of NYR fans are gunshy about moving any young talent whatsoever, given the team's record of failure "going old" in recent years. And, likely, some still do not see a contender when looking over the names of paper. (I'm still tritng to figure out who exactly is your "#2 center"! ) But the record - this far into the season - doesn't lie. Skepticism in November, even early January, may have been wise. Not anymore, IMO. This team is not going to remain as red-hot, now through June, as they are today, but they are legitimate contenders.

So...When you see a chance you take it...because they do not necessarily come around every season. NYR CLEARLY has a chance, non-believers notwithstanding.

Just my opinion.
& still leave him in charge? As much as some people have complained about Sather it could actually have been worst, we could have had Milbury. How that guy lasted as long as he did shows how much Wang knows about hockey.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 01:52 PM
  #16
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
& still leave him in charge? As much as some people have complained about Sather it could actually have been worst, we could have had Milbury. How that guy lasted as long as he did shows how much Wang knows about hockey.
The idea is to leave Milbury in until the trade deadline in March...so he can mess up the franchise even more before a new GM takes over.

The best thing to ever happen to Sather and NYR, ironically, was the salary cap. He has been forced to build a team with less ($$$), and regardless of what any revisitonists wish to suggest, Sather did build a dynasty, on a shoestring budget no less, in his previous life. NYR, like every other NHL team, are now forced to build through drafting and development, shrewd trades...and creative identification of player personnel (e.g., seeing something in a Rozival, a Ward.). And they are doing just that.

While I'm not rejoicing in NYR's resurgence, I love the idea that they are flourishing in a salary cap league...when nearly every single small market CBA advocate on this board last summer was pronouncing the Rangers dead, what without the ability to spend lavi$hly. Irony indeed.


Last edited by Trottier: 02-11-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Trottier is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 02:05 PM
  #17
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 19,886
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Really is a great job to respond with 5 straight wins after that tough loss that Monday night vs Philly.

Fire Sather is offline  
Old
02-12-2006, 12:11 AM
  #18
BlueShirt
Registered User
 
BlueShirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MSG
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
The best thing to ever happen to Sather and NYR, ironically, was the salary cap. He has been forced to build a team with less ($$$), and regardless of what any revisitonists wish to suggest, Sather did build a dynasty, on a shoestring budget no less, in his previous life. NYR, like every other NHL team, are now forced to build through drafting and development, shrewd trades...and creative identification of player personnel (e.g., seeing something in a Rozival, a Ward.). And they are doing just that.

While I'm not rejoicing in NYR's resurgence, I love the idea that they are flourishing in a salary cap league...when nearly every single small market CBA advocate on this board last summer was pronouncing the Rangers dead, what without the ability to spend lavi$hly. Irony indeed.
Your post is right on. I always hated the fact that the Rangers always tried to fix their problems with overspending. It made them the joke of the league. I also thought Dolan cared more about signing big names to sell tickets than just winning. As a Rangers fan, I was all for the salary cap because I knew it would force the Rangers to build their teams right.

The funny thing is you mentioning those that said the Rangers would be dead without the ability to overspend. The overspending was the thing that was killing the Rangers. Most serious Ranger fans knew that. As much as I hated the lockout, I knew deep down that it would be the best thing for the Rangers, and so far, it looks like I was right.

Another ironic result of the lockout, are those small market teams that used to whine about the large market teams, now oversigning big names. As soon as the playing field was leveled they started doing what they were complaining about for years. My biggest example of that is the Pens. Look at all those vet players they brought in. Remember how many were ready to hand them the Cup before the first face off? I was thinking, they are doing what the Rangers had tried to do and failed. Now the Pens look like the old Rangers. It's funny how some don't learn from others proven mistakes.


Last edited by BlueShirt: 02-12-2006 at 12:20 AM.
BlueShirt is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.