HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Rank this Years Trades

Old
03-15-2012, 01:31 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

vCash: 500
They all sucked except the Klink trade.

Klink
Ben
Turris
Lee

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Germz
4th liners ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by darglor View Post
1. Klinkhammer - Decent depth guy procured essentially for free. Definite win on the trade.

2. Bishop - Potential starter. Worst case is that he provides some internal competition, which is good. Didn't give up too much to get him. Win on the trade.

3. Turris - Fills a hole in the organization and should prove good long term. So far a win but could wind up being a loss on the trade.

4. Gilroy - Lateral movement. Little to no impact. Draw on the trade.
I more or less agree here, but I would actually switch #3 and #1 at this point, the reason being that although the Klink trade was better value, the Turris trade was a bigger game-changer for the organization and while it could backfire, it has the potential to be one of Murray's finer moves as GM. Klink is nice but probably will be close to irrelevant in the grand scheme.

So I guess I agree with Ralph Malfredsson.

Germz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:37 PM
SNAPshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
They all sucked except the Klink trade.

Klink
Ben
Turris
Lee
Muckler? Nice of you to stop by.

I don't know that we'd still be in the playoff hunt if it wasn't for the Turris acquisition.

SNAPshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:42 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPshot View Post
Muckler? Nice of you to stop by.

I don't know that we'd still be in the playoff hunt if it wasn't for the Turris acquisition.
I've been told the Turris trade wasn't made for this year. As a rebuilding and long term move, it has the potential to backfire big time.

And it's not like Turris has been lighting it up. He's helped but meh

Old
03-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPshot View Post
There is no need, we can use Alfie on the point and have Petersson on the wing.

That, or bring back good old Mattias Karlsson and run a Karlsson - Karlsson back end.
Stick Klink on it and you can have a KKK powerplay...

I JOKE I JOKE PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!

But I feel we've had a great success this season with regards to deals... Bish and Turris have so far been good... Especially as DR7 doesn't appear to play much for Pheonix yet

As for Klink, for a 7th it's a steal...

As for Gilroy, a fairly lateral trade... I see him as a slightly better Lee (Think Lee in a few years) but not that bothered... Doubt he'll be back anytime soon...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:45 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

1. Bishop for 2013 2nd rounder - he looks great so far and gives us much needed depth in nets going forward.

2. Turris for Rundblad and 2012 2nd rounder - Perhaps slight overpayment on the Sens part, but I'm hopeful that Turris is the true #2 centre this organization has been looking for since...forever.

3. Rob Klinkhammer for a 2013 7th rounder - Klinkhammer will be a group 6 UFA this offseason (not an RFA as many of you seem to think - see below), but he's added some nice depth to the squad this year. Who knows, perhaps he'll be re-signed before becoming a UFA.

4. Matt Gilroy for Brian Lee - meh.

Per article 10.1 (c) of the CBA:

"Group 6 free agents.

Means any Player who is age 25 or older who has completed three (3) or more professional seasons, who SPC (standard player contract) has expired, and (i) in the case of a Player other than a goaltender, has played less than 80 NHL games..."

http://www.nhlpa.com/docs/about-us/n...a_2005_cba.pdf

Klinkhammer is 25 years old...his contract ends at the end of 2011-12...is playing in his 5th professional season...and to date has played in 6 total NHL games.

The Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:56 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Jimmy View Post
1. Bishop for 2013 2nd rounder - he looks great so far and gives us much needed depth in nets going forward.

2. Turris for Rundblad and 2012 2nd rounder - Perhaps slight overpayment on the Sens part, but I'm hopeful that Turris is the true #2 centre this organization has been looking for since...forever.

3. Rob Klinkhammer for a 2013 7th rounder - Klinkhammer will be a group 6 UFA this offseason (not an RFA as many of you seem to think - see below), but he's added some nice depth to the squad this year. Who knows, perhaps he'll be re-signed before becoming a UFA.

4. Matt Gilroy for Brian Lee - meh.

Per article 10.1 (c) of the CBA:

"Group 6 free agents.

Means any Player who is age 25 or older who has completed three (3) or more professional seasons, who SPC (standard player contract) has expired, and (i) in the case of a Player other than a goaltender, has played less than 80 NHL games..."

http://www.nhlpa.com/docs/about-us/n...a_2005_cba.pdf

Klinkhammer is 25 years old...his contract ends at the end of 2011-12...is playing in his 5th professional season...and to date has played in 6 total NHL games.
MIKE FISHER

Turris has never ever produced like Fisher.

Mike Fisher's equivalent 22 yo season
2002-03 Ottawa Senators NHL 74 18 20 38

Similar to Turris right?

Murray traded from a position of weakness in the prospect pool to a position of strength. Not only that, he gave up the player with the most potential + a 2nd round pick (which is significant: see Silfverberg and Lehner)

Old
03-16-2012, 01:11 AM
DrEasy
Get well soon, BM!

vCash: 840
1- Bishop, even though he can't move laterally (that one's for Spezza19). Can't believe Murray managed to address such a short term (Anderson's injury) and long term (depth at G) problem so easily, while plenty of teams out there are still looking for a goalie. The price wasn't too high either. We could easily trade Bishop for someone else's 2nd round pick (probably a higher one too!) after the season if we wanted to, but why do it, since we've addressed a major need for years to come.

2- Klink, a 7th round pick for someone who is contributing at the NHL level is always a win.

3- Turris: I like him and I wanted to trade for him, but I still think the price was high, especially given the situation Phoenix was in. I agree that Turris has significantly contributed to making this a surprising playoff team, but this trade means we gave up not only on Rundblad, who could still be a top 2 D, but also indirectly on Da Costa who has nowhere to play now. Also, next time somebody tells you not to cry over that 2nd round pick, just answer: Bishop.
We still need time to fully assess the quality of this trade.

4- Gilroy. I didn't say anything at the time because I didn't know Bishop well. Having seen him in a few games, and especially given that he's a FA at the end of the season, I can't say I like this trade at all. The argument that Lee wouldn't have been re-signed anyway is flawed: why wouldn't you keep a player who has proven solid D, and is still young and cheap? If you burned your bridges with Lee and he wants to get away then you also have yourself to blame. For this trade to be a success, Gilroy had to be significantly better than Lee, and that has not been the case.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:31 AM
Philadelphia Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
I believe that in three or four years time the Lee and Rundblad trades will be regarded as huge mistakes and will forever tarnish the Bryan Murray legacy. Too Dramatic?
I'd agree that the Rundblad trade has the potential to be terrible for us but if anyone brings up Lee tarnishing Murray's legacy i'd lol

Philadelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

Klinkhammer
That conditional 7th was never gonna play an NHL game, and Hammer Time has been good. Zero risk, decent reward.

Bishop
Think of it as drafting Ben Bishop in the 2nd. We fixed a temporary leak, and will likely get what we gave up in return when we probably trade him next year.

Gilroy
I hated Lee and although Gilroy sucks, I value this trade because Gilroy will walk via UFA where as Lee would have signed another 1yr deal. Getting rid of Lee is good lol.

Turris
I don't care what people say... He is NOT a 1st line Center. He is a 2nd liner, and we gave up a potential 1st pairing Dman and a 2nd. Silfverberg, Prince and Bishop have recently been aqcuired via 2nd rounders FYI. Plus, he takes Zibby's roster spot for next year, making it harder for other rookies like Stone to make the team.

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:39 AM
ShotDownCrosby

So we traded a 2nd line centre for an unproven prosect who doesn't have a place on the first line as the offensive d man. The more I look at the Turris trade the more I actually like it.

We may have gave up too much for him, but its not known if rundblad will even be able to adjust his game... He is still years away from making an impact. Turris made an impact now, and hopefully with an offseason to train he improves. While he hasn't necessarily lit it up, he hasn't actually been bad either. He has been responsible, and something that 2nd line needs.

I would rank trades...

Klink/Bishop
Turris
Gilroy (this trade was fine, but didn't seem to accomplish anything either).

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:34 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Four Good Trades that Improve the Team:

1. Klinkhammer was brought in to help Bingo & has been so good he is now playing in Ottawa. How can that not be a great trade for a 7th?

2. Ottawa lacked consistency at the 2nd line centre spot so Murray traded for a young 21 yr old dynamic centre with tremendous potential. Yes, he traded away a possible top 4 defenceman & a 2nd rounder but so what? We got what we needed, we filled a hole & IMO with a pretty good two way player, this is also a win IMO.

3. Ottawa has lacked goaltending depth for a few yrs & with only a 2nd rd pick got the best AHL goalie & who some call the best goalie that was not in the NHL. Again another win IMO & they have the option of trading him for more than what they spent to get him, if they want. How is that not a good deal? But they should & likely will keep Bishop for at least next season, Lehner needs the competition to motivate him.

4. Gilroy is a pmd & IMO the potential replacement for Gonchar who only has another yr in Ottawa. Trading Lee, a 7th d for most of his career here in Ottawa was a no brainer IMO. Gilroy has 18 pts to Lee's 12 pts which I find hard to believe, not that long ago he recorded his first pt, he must be on a roll. Regardless Gilroy is by far the better defenceman & IMO will be even better next yr. Another win for Murray.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Greeningfan14

Turris
Bishop
Klink
Gilroy

Greeningfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote