HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#71 - 03.17.2012 | Colorado Avalanche @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Dfence033

vCash: 500
No one else thinks this (Penguins run) is actually good for the Rangers?

First, the Penguins have played themselves right into a first-round date with the Flyers. If there is any team in the Conference that will inflict some damage, drag out a long and painful series, and (with Bryz getting hot) do some score-board damage to the Penguins in the first round, it's the Flyers.

Second, look at their "streak." They blew out a struggling Tampa team, beat a last-place Columbus team, barely squeaked by "powerhouse" division leaders Dallas and Florida in a shoot-out, beat Boston in the middle of their worst stretch of the year by a mile (Remember, everyone said that the Bruins Cup was just a formality, too), and beat a Rangers team missing several key players. They also beat Toronto, Colorado, and Phoenix in this stretch. That's three division leaders, one who was completely banged up (an excuse we heard all year long from them), and two who without playoff seeding would be 7th place in their respective Conferences. Sure, it's impressive to rattle off wins like they have, but it's not like this is the playoffs and they are playing powerhouse contenders every night while doing so.

Third, I feel they are peaking too early. They've won 10 in a row (11 if you assume they won't be blowing a 4-1 lead in one period to the Devils), but they have 12 games left before the playoffs after tonight. To be as serious of a threat because of this current streak of theirs in the post-season, they'd have to maintain this pace for 26-29 consecutive games at minimum to reach even the second round. That's just far too long to stay this hot, and they are bound to cool off. My money is on it happening just before the playoffs, which spells disaster against a Philly team finding their stride.

I'd rather the Rangers falter as they have now, and wake up in the next 3 games and realize the Penguins are right there with them to have something to play for (bear in mind, the Penguins had to go on a 10 game win streak to even get to 4 points back; the Rangers haven't had ANYTHING to play for in over a month), and get hot in the last 5-10 games going in. THOSE are the most dangerous teams. Playing at such a high level for 30 games is incredibly draining on a team. I just don't see the Penguins (because of this streak) as quite the threat a lot of you "sky is falling" guys are here.

That said, just get the win tonight.

Old
03-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfence033 View Post

First, the Penguins have played themselves right into a first-round date with the Flyers. If there is any team in the Conference that will inflict some damage, drag out a long and painful series, and (with Bryz getting hot) do some score-board damage to the Penguins in the first round, it's the Flyers.

Second, look at their "streak." They blew out a struggling Tampa team, beat a last-place Columbus team, barely squeaked by "powerhouse" division leaders Dallas and Florida in a shoot-out, beat Boston in the middle of their worst stretch of the year by a mile (Remember, everyone said that the Bruins Cup was just a formality, too), and beat a Rangers team missing several key players. They also beat Toronto, Colorado, and Phoenix in this stretch. That's three division leaders, one who was completely banged up (an excuse we heard all year long from them), and two who without playoff seeding would be 7th place in their respective Conferences. Sure, it's impressive to rattle off wins like they have, but it's not like this is the playoffs and they are playing powerhouse contenders every night while doing so.

Third, I feel they are peaking too early. They've won 10 in a row (11 if you assume they won't be blowing a 4-1 lead in one period to the Devils), but they have 12 games left before the playoffs after tonight. To be as serious of a threat because of this current streak of theirs in the post-season, they'd have to maintain this pace for 26-29 consecutive games at minimum to reach even the second round. That's just far too long to stay this hot, and they are bound to cool off. My money is on it happening just before the playoffs, which spells disaster against a Philly team finding their stride.

I'd rather the Rangers falter as they have now, and wake up in the next 3 games and realize the Penguins are right there with them to have something to play for (bear in mind, the Penguins had to go on a 10 game win streak to even get to 4 points back; the Rangers haven't had ANYTHING to play for in over a month), and get hot in the last 5-10 games going in. THOSE are the most dangerous teams. Playing at such a high level for 30 games is incredibly draining on a team. I just don't see the Penguins (because of this streak) as quite the threat a lot of you "sky is falling" guys are here.

Thank you dude But here at the Rangers board we are the masters of the falling skies

Old
03-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Ail
k.

That's kinda the point people are making when they're upset this team is basically giving up the #1 seed.

It took Pittsburgh a TEN GAME WINNING STREAK to catch them, that's how big their lead was. Now, they're blowing it. It's not gone yet, but it's damn close and if they lose the number one seed with a lead so big it took a hot team to win 10 straight to catch them, everyone should be upset, regardless of where this team was "supposed" to be at the beginning of the year.

They play this hard all season and get themselves a nice cushion for the conference title, and then blow it in the last 20 games. Then they're going to be tired in the playoffs and instead of a much "easier" opponent in the form of the eighth seed, they're now facing a hungry division rival in the form of Philadelphia or New Jersey instead.

They'll be lucky to get to the second round if they lose the number one seed.

03-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:

Funny how you just discredited their entire 11-game winning streak. Listen I'm no Pens fan, but the fact of the matter is they are a great team with exceptionally talented players all playing great right now. I honestly don't see us beating them any time soon. I hope I'm wrong.

Old
03-17-2012, 02:33 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

um what channel is MSG 2 HD on Time Warner Cable?

Does anyone know I need to watch it later and I dont know which channel that is

Old
03-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
um what channel is MSG 2 HD on Time Warner Cable?

Does anyone know I need to watch it later and I dont know which channel that is
http://tvlistings.timewarnercable.com/tvListings/

Old
03-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Death By BB Gun
#therightway

I'm so glad Pittsburgh already won the Stanley Cup. No there's no pressure on the team tonight! They should be loose and easy.

Old
03-17-2012, 02:45 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Colorado is in a very tough position.

After this game, San Jose will have 4 games in hand, LAK with 3, They need points in the worst way. Expect desperation x 1000

Old
03-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Barbarossa4122*

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
um what channel is msg 2 hd on time warner cable?

Does anyone know i need to watch it later and i dont know which channel that is

Old
03-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Barbarossa4122*

............in Queens.

Old
03-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Dfence033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
Funny how you just discredited their entire 11-game winning streak. Listen I'm no Pens fan, but the fact of the matter is they are a great team with exceptionally talented players all playing great right now. I honestly don't see us beating them any time soon. I hope I'm wrong.
Discredited? No. Made the point that it'd be next to impossible as a whole picture to assume that they are the "team to beat" for the Stanley Cup this year? Absolutely. Their run is impressive, no doubt. So was the Wings 20-something (23?) home games in a row. Did that make them the presumptive favorites for the Cup? It didn't even put them in position to win the Division. Win streaks happen all the time. Even 10-game win streaks happen often enough. The fact that it took an 11 game win streak by one team, coupled with one of the roughest patches of the season by another to even get Team A in a position to be CLOSE to Team B is a testament to just how good Team B has been.

It took them going 11-0-0 in their last 11 games to get this close. Does anyone really think they are going to close out the season 12-0-0 in their last regular season games? Even if they DO, does anyone think they go 4-0-0 in their next 4 to even reach the second round? Against another hot team finding its way in a division and in-state, hated rival? That's what it would take for them to even get to ROUND 2, much less win the Cup. That's 27 games in a row. If you don't think they finish 12-0-0, they could just as easily cool off (much more likely, even), and head into the playoffs on a 3-6-3 run and then are they still the presumptive Cup favorite? I've never seen a group of people as black-and-white as some of the posters here. First it was Boston, then it was the Rangers, now it's the Penguins.

The season is 82 games long, not 10. Wake me up if the Rangers don't start heating up now that everyone (Cally and Lundy most importantly) are back and healthy, and the Penguins win their next 12. Then I'll start considering them as Cup favorites.

Old
03-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Discredited? No. Made the point that it'd be next to impossible as a whole picture to assume that they are the "team to beat" for the Stanley Cup this year? Absolutely. Their run is impressive, no doubt. So was the Wings 20-something (23?) home games in a row. Did that make them the presumptive favorites for the Cup? It didn't even put them in position to win the Division. Win streaks happen all the time. Even 10-game win streaks happen often enough. The fact that it took an 11 game win streak by one team, coupled with one of the roughest patches of the season by another to even get Team A in a position to be CLOSE to Team B is a testament to just how good Team B has been.

It took them going 11-0-0 in their last 11 games to get this close. Does anyone really think they are going to close out the season 12-0-0 in their last regular season games? Even if they DO, does anyone think they go 4-0-0 in their next 4 to even reach the second round? Against another hot team finding its way in a division and in-state, hated rival? That's what it would take for them to even get to ROUND 2, much less win the Cup. That's 27 games in a row. If you don't think they finish 12-0-0, they could just as easily cool off (much more likely, even), and head into the playoffs on a 3-6-3 run and then are they still the presumptive Cup favorite? I've never seen a group of people as black-and-white as some of the posters here. First it was Boston, then it was the Rangers, now it's the Penguins.

The season is 82 games long, not 10. Wake me up if the Rangers don't start heating up now that everyone (Cally and Lundy most importantly) are back and healthy, and the Penguins win their next 12. Then I'll start considering them as Cup favorites.
Why are you so convinced they land Philadelphia in the first round? If anything it looks more like the Rangers will be facing Philly, Boston, NJ, or Ottawa.

Old
03-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
First, the Penguins have played themselves right into a first-round date with the Flyers.
They are playing themselves into first round date with the Panthers/Capitals/Jets

Old
03-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Dfence033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Why are you so convinced they land Philadelphia in the first round? If anything it looks more like the Rangers will be facing Philly, Boston, NJ, or Ottawa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
They are playing themselves into first round date with the Panthers/Capitals/Jets
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Are they still in 4th in the Conference? Yes? Are they still behind the Rangers in the division? Yes. Are they still in position to face the Flyers in the first round? Yes. Has this all held true despite them going on an 11-0-0 run? Yes.

I get that they are playing well right now. But it seems too many of you are assuming the Rangers will continue to be mired in mediocrity while the Penguins don't miss a beat for the duration of the year. They STILL have to get 3 points over the Rangers (5 if the Rangers win tonight) to take over 1st place. Did you all forget that the Penguins aren't the only team with games left?

The Rangers could go 6-3-3 in their last 12 games. That'd force the Penguins to go 10-2-0 in their last 12. They are still a decent bit away, and far enough to where once the Rangers start heating up again, the gap will widen. They WILL NOT continue to be undefeated for the rest of the season. In fact, if they do, I will eat a Penguins hat and post it on YouTube.

At the same time, the Rangers won't continue to play 43.75% hockey for the rest of the year (3-4-1 in their last 8, without Lundqvist [only a Vezina favorite], Callahan [only the team captain], and del Zotto [only one of the team's best defenseman]). The Penguins got to piss and moan all year about not having Letang and Crosby, but Cally, Lundy, and MdZ are equally as important (if not moreso) to the Rangers.

So unless you are all thinking the Rangers will go 5-6-1 in their last 12 (Penguins would still need to go 6-4-2 in their's to overtake them), while the Penguins continue this tear, then they are still not the Cup favorites.

Old
03-17-2012, 03:31 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
O'Gaborik with the hatty.

Old
03-17-2012, 03:32 PM
turcotte8

Pat Leonard ‏ @NYDNRangers

#NYR LINEUP: Callahan, Del Zotto, Erixon, Lundqvist in... Anisimov and Eminger out due to injury. Stralman out as a healthy scratch

Old
03-17-2012, 03:32 PM
trilobyte

Del Zotto in. Unexpected, at least for me, but nice.

Old
03-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
Pat Leonard ‏ @NYDNRangers

#NYR LINEUP: Callahan, Del Zotto, Erixon, Lundqvist in... Anisimov and Eminger out due to injury. Stralman out as a healthy scratch
Yes. DZ is back.

Old
03-17-2012, 03:36 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

MDZ!

Old
03-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Scratch Stralman. Makes perfect sense.

Old
03-17-2012, 03:40 PM
BlessThisMess513

Quote:
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Are they still in 4th in the Conference? Yes? Are they still behind the Rangers in the division? Yes. Are they still in position to face the Flyers in the first round? Yes. Has this all held true despite them going on an 11-0-0 run? Yes.

I get that they are playing well right now. But it seems too many of you are assuming the Rangers will continue to be mired in mediocrity while the Penguins don't miss a beat for the duration of the year. They STILL have to get 3 points over the Rangers (5 if the Rangers win tonight) to take over 1st place. Did you all forget that the Penguins aren't the only team with games left?

The Rangers could go 6-3-3 in their last 12 games. That'd force the Penguins to go 10-2-0 in their last 12. They are still a decent bit away, and far enough to where once the Rangers start heating up again, the gap will widen. They WILL NOT continue to be undefeated for the rest of the season. In fact, if they do, I will eat a Penguins hat and post it on YouTube.

At the same time, the Rangers won't continue to play 43.75% hockey for the rest of the year (3-4-1 in their last 8, without Lundqvist [only a Vezina favorite], Callahan [only the team captain], and del Zotto [only one of the team's best defenseman]). The Penguins got to piss and moan all year about not having Letang and Crosby, but Cally, Lundy, and MdZ are equally as important (if not moreso) to the Rangers.

So unless you are all thinking the Rangers will go 5-6-1 in their last 12 (Penguins would still need to go 6-4-2 in their's to overtake them), while the Penguins continue this tear, then they are still not the Cup favorites.
Inspiring words to help ease the pain during this rough patch. Shall I nominate you to motivational speaker status?
But I hope DZ is 100% and not rushing into things. Same with Cally.

Old
03-17-2012, 03:48 PM
Dfence033

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessThisMess513 View Post
Inspiring words to help ease the pain during this rough patch. Shall I nominate you to motivational speaker status?
But I hope DZ is 100% and not rushing into things. Same with Cally.
If you must. I used to coach at various levels, so these kinds of rah-rah speeches about not getting down on yourselves more or less come naturally these days.

I agree about DZ, but I feel that this staff has done a great job with these situations all year long, and wouldn't rush him back if he isn't ready to go. Callahan, on the other hand, I could see being a bigger concern. He strikes me as the type of play-through-pain player that might misrepresent his injuries a little to get back to his team a little earlier, especially while they are middling around without him. I doubt the staff would let him put himself into any long-term or serious injury trouble, but he may not be quite 100%, either. Cally at 85% does wonders for this team as it is now, and as long as there isn't a risk of losing him this year (or down the line), I think that may be the case tonight.

Old
03-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Riverdale

So glad Cally & MDZ are back.

Lets just get the win, LGR!

Old
03-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

They're ok today but two days ago against the best team in the universe was out of the question?

Old
03-17-2012, 03:55 PM
The Perfect Paradox

MDZ and Cally back in? HELL YEAH.

LET'S GO RANGERS!! JUST ****ING WIN!

Closed Thread