HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#71 - 03.17.2012 | Colorado Avalanche @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG 2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-17-2012, 02:01 PM
  #76
Dfence033
Registered User
 
Dfence033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 898
vCash: 500
No one else thinks this (Penguins run) is actually good for the Rangers?

First, the Penguins have played themselves right into a first-round date with the Flyers. If there is any team in the Conference that will inflict some damage, drag out a long and painful series, and (with Bryz getting hot) do some score-board damage to the Penguins in the first round, it's the Flyers.

Second, look at their "streak." They blew out a struggling Tampa team, beat a last-place Columbus team, barely squeaked by "powerhouse" division leaders Dallas and Florida in a shoot-out, beat Boston in the middle of their worst stretch of the year by a mile (Remember, everyone said that the Bruins Cup was just a formality, too), and beat a Rangers team missing several key players. They also beat Toronto, Colorado, and Phoenix in this stretch. That's three division leaders, one who was completely banged up (an excuse we heard all year long from them), and two who without playoff seeding would be 7th place in their respective Conferences. Sure, it's impressive to rattle off wins like they have, but it's not like this is the playoffs and they are playing powerhouse contenders every night while doing so.

Third, I feel they are peaking too early. They've won 10 in a row (11 if you assume they won't be blowing a 4-1 lead in one period to the Devils), but they have 12 games left before the playoffs after tonight. To be as serious of a threat because of this current streak of theirs in the post-season, they'd have to maintain this pace for 26-29 consecutive games at minimum to reach even the second round. That's just far too long to stay this hot, and they are bound to cool off. My money is on it happening just before the playoffs, which spells disaster against a Philly team finding their stride.

I'd rather the Rangers falter as they have now, and wake up in the next 3 games and realize the Penguins are right there with them to have something to play for (bear in mind, the Penguins had to go on a 10 game win streak to even get to 4 points back; the Rangers haven't had ANYTHING to play for in over a month), and get hot in the last 5-10 games going in. THOSE are the most dangerous teams. Playing at such a high level for 30 games is incredibly draining on a team. I just don't see the Penguins (because of this streak) as quite the threat a lot of you "sky is falling" guys are here.



That said, just get the win tonight.

Dfence033 is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 02:14 PM
  #77
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfence033 View Post
No one else thinks this (Penguins run) is actually good for the Rangers?

First, the Penguins have played themselves right into a first-round date with the Flyers. If there is any team in the Conference that will inflict some damage, drag out a long and painful series, and (with Bryz getting hot) do some score-board damage to the Penguins in the first round, it's the Flyers.

Second, look at their "streak." They blew out a struggling Tampa team, beat a last-place Columbus team, barely squeaked by "powerhouse" division leaders Dallas and Florida in a shoot-out, beat Boston in the middle of their worst stretch of the year by a mile (Remember, everyone said that the Bruins Cup was just a formality, too), and beat a Rangers team missing several key players. They also beat Toronto, Colorado, and Phoenix in this stretch. That's three division leaders, one who was completely banged up (an excuse we heard all year long from them), and two who without playoff seeding would be 7th place in their respective Conferences. Sure, it's impressive to rattle off wins like they have, but it's not like this is the playoffs and they are playing powerhouse contenders every night while doing so.

Third, I feel they are peaking too early. They've won 10 in a row (11 if you assume they won't be blowing a 4-1 lead in one period to the Devils), but they have 12 games left before the playoffs after tonight. To be as serious of a threat because of this current streak of theirs in the post-season, they'd have to maintain this pace for 26-29 consecutive games at minimum to reach even the second round. That's just far too long to stay this hot, and they are bound to cool off. My money is on it happening just before the playoffs, which spells disaster against a Philly team finding their stride.

I'd rather the Rangers falter as they have now, and wake up in the next 3 games and realize the Penguins are right there with them to have something to play for (bear in mind, the Penguins had to go on a 10 game win streak to even get to 4 points back; the Rangers haven't had ANYTHING to play for in over a month), and get hot in the last 5-10 games going in. THOSE are the most dangerous teams. Playing at such a high level for 30 games is incredibly draining on a team. I just don't see the Penguins (because of this streak) as quite the threat a lot of you "sky is falling" guys are here.



That said, just get the win tonight.
Thank you dude But here at the Rangers board we are the masters of the falling skies

Silence Of The Plams is online now  
Old
03-17-2012, 02:27 PM
  #78
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,043
vCash: 500
That's kinda the point people are making when they're upset this team is basically giving up the #1 seed.

It took Pittsburgh a TEN GAME WINNING STREAK to catch them, that's how big their lead was. Now, they're blowing it. It's not gone yet, but it's damn close and if they lose the number one seed with a lead so big it took a hot team to win 10 straight to catch them, everyone should be upset, regardless of where this team was "supposed" to be at the beginning of the year.

They play this hard all season and get themselves a nice cushion for the conference title, and then blow it in the last 20 games. Then they're going to be tired in the playoffs and instead of a much "easier" opponent in the form of the eighth seed, they're now facing a hungry division rival in the form of Philadelphia or New Jersey instead.

They'll be lucky to get to the second round if they lose the number one seed.

__________________
Ail is online now  
Old
03-17-2012, 02:28 PM
  #79
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfence033 View Post
No one else thinks this (Penguins run) is actually good for the Rangers?

First, the Penguins have played themselves right into a first-round date with the Flyers. If there is any team in the Conference that will inflict some damage, drag out a long and painful series, and (with Bryz getting hot) do some score-board damage to the Penguins in the first round, it's the Flyers.

Second, look at their "streak." They blew out a struggling Tampa team, beat a last-place Columbus team, barely squeaked by "powerhouse" division leaders Dallas and Florida in a shoot-out, beat Boston in the middle of their worst stretch of the year by a mile (Remember, everyone said that the Bruins Cup was just a formality, too), and beat a Rangers team missing several key players. They also beat Toronto, Colorado, and Phoenix in this stretch. That's three division leaders, one who was completely banged up (an excuse we heard all year long from them), and two who without playoff seeding would be 7th place in their respective Conferences. Sure, it's impressive to rattle off wins like they have, but it's not like this is the playoffs and they are playing powerhouse contenders every night while doing so.

Third, I feel they are peaking too early. They've won 10 in a row (11 if you assume they won't be blowing a 4-1 lead in one period to the Devils), but they have 12 games left before the playoffs after tonight. To be as serious of a threat because of this current streak of theirs in the post-season, they'd have to maintain this pace for 26-29 consecutive games at minimum to reach even the second round. That's just far too long to stay this hot, and they are bound to cool off. My money is on it happening just before the playoffs, which spells disaster against a Philly team finding their stride.

I'd rather the Rangers falter as they have now, and wake up in the next 3 games and realize the Penguins are right there with them to have something to play for (bear in mind, the Penguins had to go on a 10 game win streak to even get to 4 points back; the Rangers haven't had ANYTHING to play for in over a month), and get hot in the last 5-10 games going in. THOSE are the most dangerous teams. Playing at such a high level for 30 games is incredibly draining on a team. I just don't see the Penguins (because of this streak) as quite the threat a lot of you "sky is falling" guys are here.



That said, just get the win tonight.

Funny how you just discredited their entire 11-game winning streak. Listen I'm no Pens fan, but the fact of the matter is they are a great team with exceptionally talented players all playing great right now. I honestly don't see us beating them any time soon. I hope I'm wrong.

Fanned On It is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 02:33 PM
  #80
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP
 
poeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,590
vCash: 500
um what channel is MSG 2 HD on Time Warner Cable?

Does anyone know I need to watch it later and I dont know which channel that is

poeman is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 02:37 PM
  #81
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
um what channel is MSG 2 HD on Time Warner Cable?

Does anyone know I need to watch it later and I dont know which channel that is
http://tvlistings.timewarnercable.com/tvListings/

195

Ail is online now  
Old
03-17-2012, 02:42 PM
  #82
Death By BB Gun
#therightway
 
Death By BB Gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New York City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 305
vCash: 500
I'm so glad Pittsburgh already won the Stanley Cup. No there's no pressure on the team tonight! They should be loose and easy.

Death By BB Gun is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 02:45 PM
  #83
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,315
vCash: 500
Colorado is in a very tough position.

After this game, San Jose will have 4 games in hand, LAK with 3, They need points in the worst way. Expect desperation x 1000

GWOW is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 02:46 PM
  #84
Barbarossa4122*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Forest Hills Gardens
Country: United States
Posts: 185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
um what channel is msg 2 hd on time warner cable?

Does anyone know i need to watch it later and i dont know which channel that is
197

Barbarossa4122* is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 02:48 PM
  #85
Barbarossa4122*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Forest Hills Gardens
Country: United States
Posts: 185
vCash: 500
............in Queens.

Barbarossa4122* is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 03:04 PM
  #86
Dfence033
Registered User
 
Dfence033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
Funny how you just discredited their entire 11-game winning streak. Listen I'm no Pens fan, but the fact of the matter is they are a great team with exceptionally talented players all playing great right now. I honestly don't see us beating them any time soon. I hope I'm wrong.
Discredited? No. Made the point that it'd be next to impossible as a whole picture to assume that they are the "team to beat" for the Stanley Cup this year? Absolutely. Their run is impressive, no doubt. So was the Wings 20-something (23?) home games in a row. Did that make them the presumptive favorites for the Cup? It didn't even put them in position to win the Division. Win streaks happen all the time. Even 10-game win streaks happen often enough. The fact that it took an 11 game win streak by one team, coupled with one of the roughest patches of the season by another to even get Team A in a position to be CLOSE to Team B is a testament to just how good Team B has been.

It took them going 11-0-0 in their last 11 games to get this close. Does anyone really think they are going to close out the season 12-0-0 in their last regular season games? Even if they DO, does anyone think they go 4-0-0 in their next 4 to even reach the second round? Against another hot team finding its way in a division and in-state, hated rival? That's what it would take for them to even get to ROUND 2, much less win the Cup. That's 27 games in a row. If you don't think they finish 12-0-0, they could just as easily cool off (much more likely, even), and head into the playoffs on a 3-6-3 run and then are they still the presumptive Cup favorite? I've never seen a group of people as black-and-white as some of the posters here. First it was Boston, then it was the Rangers, now it's the Penguins.

The season is 82 games long, not 10. Wake me up if the Rangers don't start heating up now that everyone (Cally and Lundy most importantly) are back and healthy, and the Penguins win their next 12. Then I'll start considering them as Cup favorites.

Dfence033 is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 03:14 PM
  #87
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfence033 View Post
Discredited? No. Made the point that it'd be next to impossible as a whole picture to assume that they are the "team to beat" for the Stanley Cup this year? Absolutely. Their run is impressive, no doubt. So was the Wings 20-something (23?) home games in a row. Did that make them the presumptive favorites for the Cup? It didn't even put them in position to win the Division. Win streaks happen all the time. Even 10-game win streaks happen often enough. The fact that it took an 11 game win streak by one team, coupled with one of the roughest patches of the season by another to even get Team A in a position to be CLOSE to Team B is a testament to just how good Team B has been.

It took them going 11-0-0 in their last 11 games to get this close. Does anyone really think they are going to close out the season 12-0-0 in their last regular season games? Even if they DO, does anyone think they go 4-0-0 in their next 4 to even reach the second round? Against another hot team finding its way in a division and in-state, hated rival? That's what it would take for them to even get to ROUND 2, much less win the Cup. That's 27 games in a row. If you don't think they finish 12-0-0, they could just as easily cool off (much more likely, even), and head into the playoffs on a 3-6-3 run and then are they still the presumptive Cup favorite? I've never seen a group of people as black-and-white as some of the posters here. First it was Boston, then it was the Rangers, now it's the Penguins.

The season is 82 games long, not 10. Wake me up if the Rangers don't start heating up now that everyone (Cally and Lundy most importantly) are back and healthy, and the Penguins win their next 12. Then I'll start considering them as Cup favorites.
Why are you so convinced they land Philadelphia in the first round? If anything it looks more like the Rangers will be facing Philly, Boston, NJ, or Ottawa.

Ail is online now  
Old
03-17-2012, 03:14 PM
  #88
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,832
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfence033 View Post
First, the Penguins have played themselves right into a first-round date with the Flyers.
They are playing themselves into first round date with the Panthers/Capitals/Jets

Brian Boyle is online now  
Old
03-17-2012, 03:25 PM
  #89
Dfence033
Registered User
 
Dfence033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Why are you so convinced they land Philadelphia in the first round? If anything it looks more like the Rangers will be facing Philly, Boston, NJ, or Ottawa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
They are playing themselves into first round date with the Panthers/Capitals/Jets
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Are they still in 4th in the Conference? Yes? Are they still behind the Rangers in the division? Yes. Are they still in position to face the Flyers in the first round? Yes. Has this all held true despite them going on an 11-0-0 run? Yes.

I get that they are playing well right now. But it seems too many of you are assuming the Rangers will continue to be mired in mediocrity while the Penguins don't miss a beat for the duration of the year. They STILL have to get 3 points over the Rangers (5 if the Rangers win tonight) to take over 1st place. Did you all forget that the Penguins aren't the only team with games left?

The Rangers could go 6-3-3 in their last 12 games. That'd force the Penguins to go 10-2-0 in their last 12. They are still a decent bit away, and far enough to where once the Rangers start heating up again, the gap will widen. They WILL NOT continue to be undefeated for the rest of the season. In fact, if they do, I will eat a Penguins hat and post it on YouTube.

At the same time, the Rangers won't continue to play 43.75% hockey for the rest of the year (3-4-1 in their last 8, without Lundqvist [only a Vezina favorite], Callahan [only the team captain], and del Zotto [only one of the team's best defenseman]). The Penguins got to piss and moan all year about not having Letang and Crosby, but Cally, Lundy, and MdZ are equally as important (if not moreso) to the Rangers.

So unless you are all thinking the Rangers will go 5-6-1 in their last 12 (Penguins would still need to go 6-4-2 in their's to overtake them), while the Penguins continue this tear, then they are still not the Cup favorites.

Dfence033 is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 03:31 PM
  #90
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 50
O'Gaborik with the hatty.

KingWantsCup is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 03:32 PM
  #91
turcotte8
Registered User
 
turcotte8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Pat Leonard ‏ @NYDNRangers

#NYR LINEUP: Callahan, Del Zotto, Erixon, Lundqvist in... Anisimov and Eminger out due to injury. Stralman out as a healthy scratch

turcotte8 is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 03:32 PM
  #92
trilobyte
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 12,543
vCash: 500
Del Zotto in. Unexpected, at least for me, but nice.

trilobyte is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 03:33 PM
  #93
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
Pat Leonard ‏ @NYDNRangers

#NYR LINEUP: Callahan, Del Zotto, Erixon, Lundqvist in... Anisimov and Eminger out due to injury. Stralman out as a healthy scratch
Yes. DZ is back.

Clowes Line is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 03:36 PM
  #94
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 50
MDZ!

KingWantsCup is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 03:37 PM
  #95
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,695
vCash: 50
Scratch Stralman. Makes perfect sense.

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 03:40 PM
  #96
BlessThisMess513
Registered User
 
BlessThisMess513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Queens, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfence033 View Post
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Are they still in 4th in the Conference? Yes? Are they still behind the Rangers in the division? Yes. Are they still in position to face the Flyers in the first round? Yes. Has this all held true despite them going on an 11-0-0 run? Yes.

I get that they are playing well right now. But it seems too many of you are assuming the Rangers will continue to be mired in mediocrity while the Penguins don't miss a beat for the duration of the year. They STILL have to get 3 points over the Rangers (5 if the Rangers win tonight) to take over 1st place. Did you all forget that the Penguins aren't the only team with games left?

The Rangers could go 6-3-3 in their last 12 games. That'd force the Penguins to go 10-2-0 in their last 12. They are still a decent bit away, and far enough to where once the Rangers start heating up again, the gap will widen. They WILL NOT continue to be undefeated for the rest of the season. In fact, if they do, I will eat a Penguins hat and post it on YouTube.

At the same time, the Rangers won't continue to play 43.75% hockey for the rest of the year (3-4-1 in their last 8, without Lundqvist [only a Vezina favorite], Callahan [only the team captain], and del Zotto [only one of the team's best defenseman]). The Penguins got to piss and moan all year about not having Letang and Crosby, but Cally, Lundy, and MdZ are equally as important (if not moreso) to the Rangers.

So unless you are all thinking the Rangers will go 5-6-1 in their last 12 (Penguins would still need to go 6-4-2 in their's to overtake them), while the Penguins continue this tear, then they are still not the Cup favorites.
Inspiring words to help ease the pain during this rough patch. Shall I nominate you to motivational speaker status?
But I hope DZ is 100% and not rushing into things. Same with Cally.

BlessThisMess513 is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 03:48 PM
  #97
Dfence033
Registered User
 
Dfence033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessThisMess513 View Post
Inspiring words to help ease the pain during this rough patch. Shall I nominate you to motivational speaker status?
But I hope DZ is 100% and not rushing into things. Same with Cally.
If you must. I used to coach at various levels, so these kinds of rah-rah speeches about not getting down on yourselves more or less come naturally these days.

I agree about DZ, but I feel that this staff has done a great job with these situations all year long, and wouldn't rush him back if he isn't ready to go. Callahan, on the other hand, I could see being a bigger concern. He strikes me as the type of play-through-pain player that might misrepresent his injuries a little to get back to his team a little earlier, especially while they are middling around without him. I doubt the staff would let him put himself into any long-term or serious injury trouble, but he may not be quite 100%, either. Cally at 85% does wonders for this team as it is now, and as long as there isn't a risk of losing him this year (or down the line), I think that may be the case tonight.

Dfence033 is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 03:53 PM
  #98
Riverdale
Registered User
 
Riverdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 5,597
vCash: 500
So glad Cally & MDZ are back.

Lets just get the win, LGR!

Riverdale is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 03:55 PM
  #99
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,777
vCash: 500
They're ok today but two days ago against the best team in the universe was out of the question?

Machinehead is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 03:55 PM
  #100
The Perfect Paradox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,502
vCash: 50
MDZ and Cally back in? HELL YEAH.

LET'S GO RANGERS!! JUST ****ING WIN!

The Perfect Paradox is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.