HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

**OFFICIAL** GDT 2/11 - Kings vs. Blackhawks

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2006, 04:15 AM
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream

vCash: 500
Hey, I had to work today and only saw highlights... did they check the second goal for a high stick? Sure looked like one to me at first glance...........

Old
02-12-2006, 05:00 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Take just about any good defenseman with a bit of skill (Norstrom, Gleason or similar) and give him the big, quality minutes (always on the #1 PP, always with the league-leading d-man, almost always with the top line) that Corvo gets and I bet that he'd have close to the same number of points. Corvo might edge most by a little bit--I don't deny that he has a bit more skill than most--but he's very replaceable.

I disagree with the notion that replacing him is anything to worry about. Give another defenseman the same opportunities and you'll see a similar breakthrough season, IMO. We've seen a glimpse of what I mean with Norstrom this season, and he's gotten only a tiny fraction of the opportunity.
I'm sorry but it is quite evident that the only defenseman on the Kings that could match Corvo's puck handling skills is Lubomir Visnovsky. You seem to really underestimate Corvo has the most powerful shot from the point (albeit off-target every so often, just as many other Kings). Look at how many times have we seen Corvo pick the upper corners with his booming shot. He also has some pretty slick hands as we've seen with his penalty shot goal and shootout goal.

Norstrom and Gleason would tell you that they can't do some of the Kings Corvo can with the puck. I'm not his biggest fan or supporter, but it is easy to recognize his talents and I will guarantee most of you will be talking about his abilities being sorely missed, just as discussed when Boucher's name is brought up.

Old
02-12-2006, 05:05 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFanInRI
Hey, I had to work today and only saw highlights... did they check the second goal for a high stick? Sure looked like one to me at first glance...........
They checked it...it was clear to me that it was the right call.

Yes, Norstorm and other d-men around the league have comparable number of assists to Corvo BUT they do not and can not score as many goals as him. Corvo puts the puck in the net just like Lubo. Losing that offensive threat would be a big loss to the Kings. His offensive potential is unlimited.

Old
02-12-2006, 05:47 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life
Yes, Norstorm and other d-men around the league have comparable number of assists to Corvo BUT they do not and can not score as many goals as him. Corvo puts the puck in the net just like Lubo. Losing that offensive threat would be a big loss to the Kings. His offensive potential is unlimited.
Assists aren't any less impressive or more important to a team than goals, IMO. An assist means that a goal was scored, just as a goal does. Whether you assisted on 10 goals or scored all 10, yourself, there were still 10 goals scored. Corvo isn't better than Visnovsky because he has more goals than him. I'm sure that everyone would fully agree with that. Similarly, Weight wasn't coveted a few weeks ago beacuse of his measly 11 goals. I don't think that many defensemen would score as many goals as Corvo in his position, no, but I believe that they'd have more assists (Corvo has only a paulty 7 PP assists, for example), balancing things out.

I think that the heart of the matter is that, despite what he's accomplished, Corvo doesn't make players around him better (in the same way that Norstrom, who has more assists than Corvo, doesn't); instead, the players around him (Visnovsky, Demitra, Conroy, Frolov) make him better. I believe that most good replacements would benefit in the same way, and that's largely what makes Corvo pretty replaceable.

Last edited by Osprey: 02-12-2006 at 06:04 AM.
Old
02-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
If ever the bananas were appropriate...

Sincerely,
- Banana Police

Old
02-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
I think that the heart of the matter is that, despite what he's accomplished, Corvo doesn't make players around him better (in the same way that Norstrom, who has more assists than Corvo, doesn't); instead, the players around him (Visnovsky, Demitra, Conroy, Frolov) make him better. I believe that most good replacements would benefit in the same way, and that's largely what makes Corvo pretty replaceable.
That's what I've been trying to say for a long time. He's benefitted the most from playing with that unit.

Old
02-12-2006, 12:21 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Assists aren't any less impressive or more important to a team than goals, IMO. An assist means that a goal was scored, just as a goal does. Whether you assisted on 10 goals or scored all 10, yourself, there were still 10 goals scored. Corvo isn't better than Visnovsky because he has more goals than him. I'm sure that everyone would fully agree with that. Similarly, Weight wasn't coveted a few weeks ago beacuse of his measly 11 goals. I don't think that many defensemen would score as many goals as Corvo in his position, no, but I believe that they'd have more assists (Corvo has only a paulty 7 PP assists, for example), balancing things out.

I think we're pretty much all in agreement that Corvo would be good in the # 6 spot.

One thing that I do think that he can contribute to the team that few other spare powerplay parts could pertains to his puck-carrying ability. He's one of the few players on the team who can gain zone penetration on his own. I think that fact combined with his shot makes him ideal for the #2 PP unit. However, if the Kings powerplay system restricts such penetration( I'm not sure if it does or not), then I guess that, for now, that would be a moot point.

Old
02-12-2006, 01:34 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Back to the whole DEFENSEman thing again.. Since obviously people aren't bright enough to understand that just because your a DEFENSEman doesn't always mean your job is to be stellar on defense.

And I love how people bring up his mo-hawk like it makes him a worse hockey player or something. Yeah, its dumb.. But its no reason to add it in your argument as to why Corvo is a 'bad player.'

Old
02-12-2006, 01:42 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceoffsRLikeWins4Us
Back to the whole DEFENSEman thing again.. Since obviously people aren't bright enough to understand that just because your a DEFENSEman doesn't always mean your job is to be stellar on defense.

And I love how people bring up his mo-hawk like it makes him a worse hockey player or something. Yeah, its dumb.. But its no reason to add it in your argument as to why Corvo is a 'bad player.'
No, it doesn't mean your primary job is defense. But he has to be passable in his own end to be considered top-4. Everyone knows he's an offensive d-man, but to not be considered a # 6, he has to shore up his backend play.

Name another D-man who kicks in the amount of offense Corvo does and is as ineffectual on defense as Corvo and is in the top-4 on their team.

For us to ignore the defense issue, he'd have to have much better offensive stats...even then, it'd be tough.

Old
02-12-2006, 01:55 PM
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream

As much as I like Corvo (I have been a fan of his since the Kings' AHL team was in Lowell) I fear he is becoming Paul Coffey Light; real good offensively but couldn't defend a guy who died in 1997 being tried for a crime that took place in 2001.
He would make a good forward.

Old
02-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:

The most important thing to do is to put the puck into the net. Basically, your saying the PP would be better without Corvo since we can put in a guy like Matty and Matty would have more assists and the team would have more goals. I disagree because Matty can't bring the puck into the zone like Corvo, pass like Corvo, or fire a laser like Corvo.

I think he does make players around him better. Without Corvo's shot teams would always zoom into Lubo and not allow him any space. When I see Corvo load up to shoot, I know the puck has a relatively good chance of finding its way in back of the net or atleast forcing the goalie to make a pretty good stop. In years past, I knew he had a rocket but the only thing it found was the boards.

Closed Thread