HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

**OFFICIAL** GDT 2/11 - Kings vs. Blackhawks

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2006, 04:15 AM
  #151
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream
 
THEKingsFanInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Outside Providence
Country: United States
Posts: 1,721
vCash: 500
Hey, I had to work today and only saw highlights... did they check the second goal for a high stick? Sure looked like one to me at first glance...........

THEKingsFanInRI is offline  
Old
02-12-2006, 05:00 AM
  #152
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 33,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Take just about any good defenseman with a bit of skill (Norstrom, Gleason or similar) and give him the big, quality minutes (always on the #1 PP, always with the league-leading d-man, almost always with the top line) that Corvo gets and I bet that he'd have close to the same number of points. Corvo might edge most by a little bit--I don't deny that he has a bit more skill than most--but he's very replaceable.

I disagree with the notion that replacing him is anything to worry about. Give another defenseman the same opportunities and you'll see a similar breakthrough season, IMO. We've seen a glimpse of what I mean with Norstrom this season, and he's gotten only a tiny fraction of the opportunity.
I'm sorry but it is quite evident that the only defenseman on the Kings that could match Corvo's puck handling skills is Lubomir Visnovsky. You seem to really underestimate Corvo has the most powerful shot from the point (albeit off-target every so often, just as many other Kings). Look at how many times have we seen Corvo pick the upper corners with his booming shot. He also has some pretty slick hands as we've seen with his penalty shot goal and shootout goal.

Norstrom and Gleason would tell you that they can't do some of the Kings Corvo can with the puck. I'm not his biggest fan or supporter, but it is easy to recognize his talents and I will guarantee most of you will be talking about his abilities being sorely missed, just as discussed when Boucher's name is brought up.

Ziggy Stardust is online now  
Old
02-12-2006, 05:05 AM
  #153
Kingz4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Armenia
Posts: 2,105
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFanInRI
Hey, I had to work today and only saw highlights... did they check the second goal for a high stick? Sure looked like one to me at first glance...........
They checked it...it was clear to me that it was the right call.


Yes, Norstorm and other d-men around the league have comparable number of assists to Corvo BUT they do not and can not score as many goals as him. Corvo puts the puck in the net just like Lubo. Losing that offensive threat would be a big loss to the Kings. His offensive potential is unlimited.

Kingz4life is offline  
Old
02-12-2006, 05:47 AM
  #154
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life
Yes, Norstorm and other d-men around the league have comparable number of assists to Corvo BUT they do not and can not score as many goals as him. Corvo puts the puck in the net just like Lubo. Losing that offensive threat would be a big loss to the Kings. His offensive potential is unlimited.
Assists aren't any less impressive or more important to a team than goals, IMO. An assist means that a goal was scored, just as a goal does. Whether you assisted on 10 goals or scored all 10, yourself, there were still 10 goals scored. Corvo isn't better than Visnovsky because he has more goals than him. I'm sure that everyone would fully agree with that. Similarly, Weight wasn't coveted a few weeks ago beacuse of his measly 11 goals. I don't think that many defensemen would score as many goals as Corvo in his position, no, but I believe that they'd have more assists (Corvo has only a paulty 7 PP assists, for example), balancing things out.

I think that the heart of the matter is that, despite what he's accomplished, Corvo doesn't make players around him better (in the same way that Norstrom, who has more assists than Corvo, doesn't); instead, the players around him (Visnovsky, Demitra, Conroy, Frolov) make him better. I believe that most good replacements would benefit in the same way, and that's largely what makes Corvo pretty replaceable.


Last edited by Osprey: 02-12-2006 at 06:04 AM.
Osprey is offline  
Old
02-12-2006, 11:26 AM
  #155
Face Wash
Registered User
 
Face Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
If ever the bananas were appropriate...

Sincerely,
- Banana Police

Face Wash is offline  
Old
02-12-2006, 12:14 PM
  #156
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 31,223
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
I think that the heart of the matter is that, despite what he's accomplished, Corvo doesn't make players around him better (in the same way that Norstrom, who has more assists than Corvo, doesn't); instead, the players around him (Visnovsky, Demitra, Conroy, Frolov) make him better. I believe that most good replacements would benefit in the same way, and that's largely what makes Corvo pretty replaceable.
That's what I've been trying to say for a long time. He's benefitted the most from playing with that unit.

Reaper45 is offline  
Old
02-12-2006, 12:21 PM
  #157
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Assists aren't any less impressive or more important to a team than goals, IMO. An assist means that a goal was scored, just as a goal does. Whether you assisted on 10 goals or scored all 10, yourself, there were still 10 goals scored. Corvo isn't better than Visnovsky because he has more goals than him. I'm sure that everyone would fully agree with that. Similarly, Weight wasn't coveted a few weeks ago beacuse of his measly 11 goals. I don't think that many defensemen would score as many goals as Corvo in his position, no, but I believe that they'd have more assists (Corvo has only a paulty 7 PP assists, for example), balancing things out.

I think that the heart of the matter is that, despite what he's accomplished, Corvo doesn't make players around him better (in the same way that Norstrom, who has more assists than Corvo, doesn't); instead, the players around him (Visnovsky, Demitra, Conroy, Frolov) make him better. I believe that most good replacements would benefit in the same way, and that's largely what makes Corvo pretty replaceable.
I think we're pretty much all in agreement that Corvo would be good in the # 6 spot.

One thing that I do think that he can contribute to the team that few other spare powerplay parts could pertains to his puck-carrying ability. He's one of the few players on the team who can gain zone penetration on his own. I think that fact combined with his shot makes him ideal for the #2 PP unit. However, if the Kings powerplay system restricts such penetration( I'm not sure if it does or not), then I guess that, for now, that would be a moot point.

kingsfan25 is offline  
Old
02-12-2006, 01:34 PM
  #158
two out of three*
 
two out of three*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Back to the whole DEFENSEman thing again.. Since obviously people aren't bright enough to understand that just because your a DEFENSEman doesn't always mean your job is to be stellar on defense.

And I love how people bring up his mo-hawk like it makes him a worse hockey player or something. Yeah, its dumb.. But its no reason to add it in your argument as to why Corvo is a 'bad player.'

two out of three* is offline  
Old
02-12-2006, 01:42 PM
  #159
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceoffsRLikeWins4Us
Back to the whole DEFENSEman thing again.. Since obviously people aren't bright enough to understand that just because your a DEFENSEman doesn't always mean your job is to be stellar on defense.

And I love how people bring up his mo-hawk like it makes him a worse hockey player or something. Yeah, its dumb.. But its no reason to add it in your argument as to why Corvo is a 'bad player.'
No, it doesn't mean your primary job is defense. But he has to be passable in his own end to be considered top-4. Everyone knows he's an offensive d-man, but to not be considered a # 6, he has to shore up his backend play.

Name another D-man who kicks in the amount of offense Corvo does and is as ineffectual on defense as Corvo and is in the top-4 on their team.

For us to ignore the defense issue, he'd have to have much better offensive stats...even then, it'd be tough.

kingsfan25 is offline  
Old
02-12-2006, 01:55 PM
  #160
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream
 
THEKingsFanInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Outside Providence
Country: United States
Posts: 1,721
vCash: 500
As much as I like Corvo (I have been a fan of his since the Kings' AHL team was in Lowell) I fear he is becoming Paul Coffey Light; real good offensively but couldn't defend a guy who died in 1997 being tried for a crime that took place in 2001.
He would make a good forward.

THEKingsFanInRI is offline  
Old
02-12-2006, 02:04 PM
  #161
Kingz4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Armenia
Posts: 2,105
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Assists aren't any less impressive or more important to a team than goals, IMO. An assist means that a goal was scored, just as a goal does. Whether you assisted on 10 goals or scored all 10, yourself, there were still 10 goals scored. Corvo isn't better than Visnovsky because he has more goals than him. I'm sure that everyone would fully agree with that. Similarly, Weight wasn't coveted a few weeks ago beacuse of his measly 11 goals. I don't think that many defensemen would score as many goals as Corvo in his position, no, but I believe that they'd have more assists (Corvo has only a paulty 7 PP assists, for example), balancing things out.

I think that the heart of the matter is that, despite what he's accomplished, Corvo doesn't make players around him better (in the same way that Norstrom, who has more assists than Corvo, doesn't); instead, the players around him (Visnovsky, Demitra, Conroy, Frolov) make him better. I believe that most good replacements would benefit in the same way, and that's largely what makes Corvo pretty replaceable.
The most important thing to do is to put the puck into the net. Basically, your saying the PP would be better without Corvo since we can put in a guy like Matty and Matty would have more assists and the team would have more goals. I disagree because Matty can't bring the puck into the zone like Corvo, pass like Corvo, or fire a laser like Corvo.

I think he does make players around him better. Without Corvo's shot teams would always zoom into Lubo and not allow him any space. When I see Corvo load up to shoot, I know the puck has a relatively good chance of finding its way in back of the net or atleast forcing the goalie to make a pretty good stop. In years past, I knew he had a rocket but the only thing it found was the boards.

Kingz4life is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.