HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Happened?

Old
03-16-2012, 09:51 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

vCash: 500
What Happened?

What the heck has happened to this defense?

I think I know what it may be. but they should be better than this.

It's not just a couple of games, it's like 2 months now.

They're not going anywhere if they don't get back to playing defensively like they have most of the season.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post

They're not going anywhere if they don't get back to playing defensively like they have most of the season.
Hit a rut. Its what happens when you get overplayed. Need to be re-energized/rested. Erixon may need to be called up soon.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:36 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post

Del Zotto's been hurt since 25 FEB. They have gone 5=4=1 in games he's either played injured or hurt.

That increases Stralman's ice time, increases Bickel's ice time and gave Eminger a chance to play.

Additionally, Sather felt that Staal would be his old No. 1 self by this time, which is why he didnt make a move at the deadline. As we all know, Staal has been painful to watch sans a few good games.

That puts the onus on Girardi and Macdonagh. They have been shutting people down all season, and now they just seem burnt out. That's why it's important to clinch 1st overall as early as possible so they can get a few days off prior to the playoffs

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:01 PM
NYRKindms

They are completely gassed. When McD is getting beat by avg skaters in the NHL you know he is tired.

All the reaching / stick checks and lack of consistent body work shows this to be a tired hockey club. It was bound to happen with this style of play. I just hope that they can find someone to fill the tank again before the real season starts.

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Said it before; We're gassed out. Thats what happens when this style is played and we dont periodically rest guys

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:19 PM
OverTheCap

I saw this coming a mile away when Girardi and McDonagh were both logging 27 minutes a game earlier in the season. Now they are gassed and Girardi is more of a first half player to begin with.

Stralman, Eminger, and Bickel are all 6-7 defenseman who play almost every game. Staal is clearly not 100% this year.

So many fans are focusing on the offense but it's the defense that has been a major problem lately. Too many mistakes, turnovers, and defensive lapses. Defense and goaltending were a major strength and now it seems like the team routinely surrender around 3 goals against per game. This team may not be an offensive powerhouse but they have proven to be opportunistic when the defense and goaltending keeps them in the game, and that hasn't been the case as of late.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:39 PM
SnowblindNYR

St. Louis hasn't gotten tired playing the same style and with even less goal support.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
St. Louis hasn't gotten tired playing the same style and with even less goal support.
Pietrangelo doesn't average as much ice time as either player on the top pair for us. Shattenkirk is 2nd, but Del Zotto was averaging more ice time than him. Plus, St Louis hasn't been playing that style all year.

I don't know if I buy the tired argument necessarily. Teams and players go through ruts that don't have anything to do with fatigue. This feels more like that to me.

There isn't always a tangible explanation for these things.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

vCash: 50
To be fair, I rather struggle defensively now so we can fix it before the play-offs start

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

This team is still in prime position to win the Presidents Trophy, let alone 1st in the East.

Pittsburgh can kiss my ass. They scored 5 on Biron with their absolute full lineup while we were missing Henrik, Cally, Del Zotto.

They have a very tough schedule the rest of the way, and while no games are a sure thing, we have a slightly easier schedule. If we finish this home stand strong, we'll most likely take 1st in the East and the league.

St. Louis has 3 more points than us in 2 more games played. Meaning, if we win the two games in hand, we're the top seed in the entire league, even after a rough patch the last couple of weeks.

We play Pittsburgh one more time next month. Henrik will be in, and if we're healthy, we're going to show them why WE are the team to beat, not a bunch of dirty, diving babies who think they've won the cup after winning ten games in a row.

We got this.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:30 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Minutes through a long 82 game season catch up to guys. We had guys like Girardi and McDonagh playing increase minutes when Staal was out. Seeing the effects now. Just gassed.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:13 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
This team is still in prime position to win the Presidents Trophy, let alone 1st in the East.

Pittsburgh can kiss my ass. They scored 5 on Biron with their absolute full lineup while we were missing Henrik, Cally, Del Zotto.

They have a very tough schedule the rest of the way, and while no games are a sure thing, we have a slightly easier schedule. If we finish this home stand strong, we'll most likely take 1st in the East and the league.

St. Louis has 3 more points than us in 2 more games played. Meaning, if we win the two games in hand, we're the top seed in the entire league, even after a rough patch the last couple of weeks.

We play Pittsburgh one more time next month. Henrik will be in, and if we're healthy, we're going to show them why WE are the team to beat, not a bunch of dirty, diving babies who think they've won the cup after winning ten games in a row.

We got this.
No we don't. They are worn out and in a rut. Pittsburgh has a number of advantages over the rangers. 1) Way more talent 2) A better coaching staff and I love what Torts has done with team building this year 3) When Fleury has his confidence high, rangers can't beat him 4) their team is way more tougher, but they draft that way 5) And most importantly, they are dirty, will dive when they get the opportunity, and will get all the calls, the NHL will make sure of it!
Every series I've seen against the pens is stacked against us. Did anybody notice the lack of contact with Crosby last night? He looked like he was playing in a non-contact league.

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 04:30 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflepadsave View Post
No we don't. They are worn out and in a rut. Pittsburgh has a number of advantages over the rangers. 1) Way more talent 2) A better coaching staff and I love what Torts has done with team building this year 3) When Fleury has his confidence high, rangers can't beat him 4) their team is way more tougher, but they draft that way 5) And most importantly, they are dirty, will dive when they get the opportunity, and will get all the calls, the NHL will make sure of it!
Every series I've seen against the pens is stacked against us. Did anybody notice the lack of contact with Crosby last night? He looked like he was playing in a non-contact league.
I think that post was meant as more of a kiss my ass directed at pitt and hes right screw pittsburgh I dont give a good ******* if theyve won 50 in a row they're a scrub team in my eyes and we're better. Hate that team too much to praise them right now. If they were on fire i wouldnt piss on them to put them out...yea that level of hate

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 04:45 AM
chosen

Funny to see people hating on Pitt. They are not a dirty club. They are incredible fun to watch. I want NY to beat them but anyone who doesn't enjoy watching Crosby and Malkin are missing the point of why hockey can be an amazing watch.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 09:00 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
I think that post was meant as more of a kiss my ass directed at pitt and hes right screw pittsburgh I dont give a good ******* if theyve won 50 in a row they're a scrub team in my eyes and we're better. Hate that team too much to praise them right now. If they were on fire i wouldnt piss on them to put them out...yea that level of hate
Yes I know. Just don't believe we have enough to beat them when it counts the most.

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflepadsave View Post
Yes I know. Just don't believe we have enough to beat them when it counts the most.
I think we definitely do, assuming by the playoffs our coach will have some idea of which players are grinders, which are scorers, and which players should be riding AHL buses. But hey, Bickel over Stralman makes sense. I'm sure Scott will get in the lineup over Zuccarello next game.

This team is in first place in spite of Tortorella, not because of him.

Old
03-17-2012, 09:06 PM
valence

rest is all they need...heck we are in the playoffs...just rest the D who cares if we come 5th-6th we are in

valence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by valence View Post
rest is all they need...heck we are in the playoffs...just rest the D who cares if we come 5th-6th we are in
Because Tortorella The Motivator is the worst in-game coach in the league, and thus, needs all the help he can get having the last change.

Old
03-17-2012, 09:10 PM
MDL8981

The defense has been **** for a month now. It all started with that loss to the Hawks at home. Actually even the game prior to that in which we won 3-0 in Boston, but got outshot 42-20...Hank stood on his head.

Last edited by New York RKY: 03-17-2012 at 09:28 PM.
MDL8981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:04 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
This team is in first place in spite of Tortorella, not because of him.
this is laughable

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:06 PM
CM PUNK

hank has slumped and isn't covering up for all the mistakes, simple as that. it isn't not like stu bickel wasn't the same guy before this stretch

and the only guys that can claim to be tired are girardi and mcdonagh, no one else plays that much...and they only play so much because of the lack of depth thanks to the injuries, not the 'style of play'. if staal and sauer were healthy all year, girardi and mcd wouldn't have had to play so much

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:12 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
this is laughable
We have the Vezina winner.

We have a goal scorer tied for 3rd place in the league.

We have a rookie who SHOULD be a Calder candidate considering he's 10 points behind Droolfest Nugent Hopkins and 11 behind Landeskog (who Hagelin actually has a much higher PPG average than, since Landeskog has played 20 more games than Hagelin) while averaging far less overall and powerplay ice-time.

We have a great defense.

We have Brad Richards.

We have Ryan Callahan.

We've found a way to ride Henke to 1st place in the East for 3 months, yet our powerplay is 29th out of 30. Only Phoenix has a worse PP. Even mother****ing Columbus has a better powerplay than us!! And the coaching staff has done absolutely nothing to attempt to remedy it. Just keep sticking guys in front of the net, even when the other 4 Rangers are struggling to even get control of the puck in the offensive zone!! Expel energy, chase pucks up and down the boards, slap the puck around the boards from one side to the other. Good thing we have Cally or Boyle parked in front doing absolutely nothing, though! You get to the front of the net when it makes sense to. Arrive there right before a shot gets taken so a goalie can't just setup and peer around you. Standing still there only eliminates the actual advantage and allows the penalty killers to defend the other four Rangers 4 on 4. Why are other teams so aggressive on the PK against us? Because we only have four legit passing options!! The fifth Ranger is stationary in front of the net for the entire time were in the zone, even when we're desperately trying to get "set up." He just sits parked there, doing nothing. Nobody has to worry about him unless a shot actually gets through, which it rarely does because it's a 4 on 4 and teams can easily block our shots, especially when we hesitate to shoot off the pass.

Stralman has been better than expected since day 1. He's a fluid skater, with great puck control who can actually make a tape to tape pass without hesitation. He has the wheels to skate the puck out of trouble. He has taken Torts challenge to play tough and has been physical every single game. I'm not even talking about the rare beauty of a hip check that he throws. He simply battles at a high level every time he's defending someone 1 on 1. He had one bad turnover five games ago. Before and after that, he's been damn near flawless. He sure as hell hasn't been any worse than Marc Staal! These are all qualities that describe the antithesis of Bickel. He does not have wheels to skate the puck out of trouble. He throws grenade passes, and suicide passes to guys standing still in the neutral zone, although Del Zotto looked drunk tonight as well. It's clear as day that Stralman is a solid NHL defender. With the right partner, there's nothing really holding him back from even being a top 4 d-man. Yet, Stralman gets scratched in favor of Bickel, who is the epitome of an AHL journeyman. I appreciate the effort, Stu, but you are a major liability and the antithesis of a "heady" and decisive player like Stralman. What kind of message does that send to Stralman? Play your ass off at both ends of the ice, do everything that's asked of you, and you'll get scratched in favor of some AHL goon.

Zuccarello has looked like a blessing on the PP. Finally someone other than Richards (who is the ONLY one who can actually carry it in and not throw it away as soon as he gets any semblance of pressure) who can make a quick turn with the puck along the boards and actually move it cleanly to the stick blade of the open man. I'm sure that means John Scott will take his spot next game.

Boyle and Mitchell can do no wrong. The rules that apply to Zuccarello and Stralman don't apply to Mitchell and Boyle. Tortorella plays favorites and he puts players he doesn't like in situations to fail, while continuing to reward Mitchell's blatant puck-hogging over-handling and Boyle's painfully Rozsival-speed slow skating and stick waving poor excuse for a forecheck with more and more ice-time!! And in key situations!! Zuccarello has a great game, but he's still with Rupp at even strength, while Mitchell and Boyle get bumped up with Cally and Dubinsky and Stepan for odd shifts when we're trying to SCORE A GOAL TO TIE THE GAME.

When Zuccarello was called up, Torts couldn't even praise his good efforts in the AHL. He had to take a cheap shot and say he was "decent" but he can praise Boyle to no end. For what? Grimacing on the bench every damn game because he fell awkwardly trying to turn in the corner with his big clown feet? Del Zotto and Boyle really have the worst "I'm hurt so bad but Ill play through it, just please know that I'm super tough and in a ton of pain" faces.

Yes, were in first place in spite of Tortorella. Don't even get me started on the games where it was an obvious Henrik start and he started Biron who got eaten alive.

He has some great attributes and I like his no nonsense atmosphere, but he is truly his own worst enemy. Unwilling to adapt or admit he's wrong, he'll bench a guy for an entire game because making a point is more important than putting out the player who gives the team the best chance to score a goal and tie or win the game. And he's the absolute worst in-game coach in the league. Overly aggressive. Textbook moves. So predictable. Goal scored for or against? Throw Boyle out there right away!

Down by 1 against a trapping team that's clogging the neutral zone? Let's pull Henke with 2 and a half minutes left so that we can add yet ANOTHER body to the cluster **** party in the neutral zone and gift-wrap the icing on the cake for the other team.

K I'm done now. LET'S GO FLYERS! (just for today)

Last edited by Zuccarello Awesome*: 03-18-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old
03-18-2012, 12:17 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Because Tortorella The Motivator is the worst in-game coach in the league, and thus, needs all the help he can get having the last change.
Get out of town. You are blaming Tortorella?
Hard to please, very hard to please, obviously.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:20 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post
They are completely gassed. When McD is getting beat by avg skaters in the NHL you know he is tired.

All the reaching / stick checks and lack of consistent body work shows this to be a tired hockey club. It was bound to happen with this style of play. I just hope that they can find someone to fill the tank again before the real season starts.
Not necessarily. It's not like they cannot recover from this. Completely gassed is pretty severe. I don't believe that. Some adjustments are needed, but McDonagh and others can handle it, they are all big boys.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:30 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Get out of town. You are blaming Tortorella?
Hard to please, very hard to please, obviously.
He deserves some of the blame, absolutely.

What rationale is there to scratch Stralman over Bickel?

Bickel has been involved directly in 4 or 5 goals against in the last two games alone.

Stralman has been nothing short of solid. He battles for every puck, and he actually has TALENT. There was absolutely no reason for Torts to scratch him. Not a chance on Earth that Hunwick scores that goal against Stralman. Also no chance Stralman butterfingers the puck into his own net against the Penguins on the first shift.

Tortorella has not fixed the powerplay, nor has he even addressed an actual problem with it. He just keeps demanding that we have that net presence, keeping a guy parked there at all times, essentially eliminating the actual advantage and allowing the penalty killers to defend the other four Rangers aggressively in a 4 on 4! Tortorella and Sullivan are the worst powerplay coaches I've ever seen. The only reason it's even started to look slightly better lately is because of Zuccarello and Richards taking control.

Tortorella is holding this team back. With the years some of these guys are having, and especially the year Henrik is having, most coaches would've had 1st place and the Presidents trophy clinched as of last week. We've thrown away games because Tortorella could not make an adjustment. All the games we lost by 1 or 2 goals prior to this week, Tortorella threw Mitchell and Boyle out there late in the game to try to score a goal, refusing to put Richards and Gaborik together until 70 games into the season. Most coaches would've had this team firing on all cylinders a long time ago. We're lucky to have scraped by on Henrik and the defense's back for so long. Many coaches have gotten far more offense with even less talent and less "goal scorers" than we have. Lindy Ruff would've had this team at 105 points by now, easily.