HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Sign Yale's Leading Scorer and Captain Brian O'Neill (1 Year)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-14-2012, 06:15 PM
  #26
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
No way. You gotta remember he is entering his mid 20s. PDG at Michigan for example projects as a 2nd round pick and he is worlds better as a prospect.

I'd be shocked if he ever sees the NHL. Look at comparable players. And then factor in he is 5'8. This is an organizational depth move for Manchester/Ontario.

The big guys will be signing in the next couple weeks once their seasons end. I'll be real excited if the Kings can get JT Brown
Gotta agree here. 24 year old who went to Yale and is small. I doubt he ever sees NHL ice unless he has stilts.


Also Herby, OT but I still hold out hope of PDG being a late 1st round pick.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:17 PM
  #27
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,689
vCash: 500
Looks like he can help the Monarchs with their stretch run. Hope they make the playoffs so the kids can gain more experience.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:30 PM
  #28
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Yep, every year there seems to be one or two who really catch fire.



He's hit and miss to me. Remember Joe Piskula and Ray Kaunisto?
Kaunisto has actually been a real good character gone in Manchester this year if I am not mistaken.

Jason Lewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:54 PM
  #29
JBernierFan
Drink up!
 
JBernierFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
The big guys will be signing in the next couple weeks once their seasons end. I'll be real excited if the Kings can get JT Brown
That is actually who I want. I've watched the kid now that NBCSN plays college games. That kid can score! One of the games I watched, he scored 4 goals.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:29 PM
  #30
Duc620
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Please tell AEG we are not playing Soccer but Hockey so quit approving the signings of 5'-8" players. Now if there going to start a under 6' league were set.
For all the complaining around here about poor prospects, lack of quality players ready to come up to the big leagues, the shortness of our players, and the fact that our core is already past their prime having been playing in LA for 5 or so years, the reality is a bit different.

We keep rolling kids in who make an impact (King, Nolan, Voynov, Martinez)

We are the first or second biggest team in the league, sizewise.

We are the first or second youngest team in the league, agewise (AND we have a bunch of players with 2-400 games experience)

We still have quality prospects who are still getting quality time and developing their skills in the junior and minor leagues without having the pressure of filling spots on the big club before they are ready.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:32 PM
  #31
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
For all the complaining around here about poor prospects, lack of quality players ready to come up to the big leagues, the shortness of our players, and the fact that our core is already past their prime having been playing in LA for 5 or so years, the reality is a bit different.

We keep rolling kids in who make an impact (King, Nolan, Voynov, Martinez)

We are the first or second biggest team in the league, sizewise.

We are the first or second youngest team in the league, agewise (AND we have a bunch of players with 2-400 games experience)

We still have quality prospects who are still getting quality time and developing their skills in the junior and minor leagues without having the pressure of filling spots on the big club before they are ready.
Well said.

I try to keep giving the updates on our kids and have a great track record of letting everyone know who is ready vs who needs more time vs who isn't going to make it in our system but I think allot of us just have to see for themselves and even then be proven wrong for thinking so poorly of our own kids/system.

I spend allot of time around scouts/lower mgmt for other teams and we really are the envy of most of the NHL when it comes to our kids/prospects and team. Most are just as baffled as everyone here as to why we aren't among the top 6 teams in the league yet but everyone says in time we will be.


Last edited by etherialone: 03-14-2012 at 08:52 PM.
etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:39 PM
  #32
Malice430
Registered User
 
Malice430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lake Forest, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 3,347
vCash: 500
so the kings finally signed an Ivy League prospect that ISNT an enforcer?

Malice430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:45 PM
  #33
Fat Elvis
Registered User
 
Fat Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Money Pit
Country: United States
Posts: 5,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
No way. You gotta remember he is entering his mid 20s. PDG at Michigan for example projects as a 2nd round pick and he is worlds better as a prospect.

I'd be shocked if he ever sees the NHL. Look at comparable players. And then factor in he is 5'8. This is an organizational depth move for Manchester/Ontario.

The big guys will be signing in the next couple weeks once their seasons end. I'll be real excited if the Kings can get JT Brown

You want Jt Brown? The guy who is 2 inches taller and 5 pounds heavier than O'Neill? Same guy who has 46 points in 36 games, just like O'Neill?

You make a big deal about size yet say you want a guy marginally bigger than said player with the same numbers. Maybe we should be happy we got O'Neill since he seems just like JT Brown??

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:17 PM
  #34
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
You want Jt Brown? The guy who is 2 inches taller and 5 pounds heavier than O'Neill? Same guy who has 46 points in 36 games, just like O'Neill?

You make a big deal about size yet say you want a guy marginally bigger than said player with the same numbers. Maybe we should be happy we got O'Neill since he seems just like JT Brown??
O'Neill is 24 years old and plays in the ECAC. Brown is 22 and plays in the WCHA. There really is no comparison.

Teams will be doing backflips to try and sign JT Brown when UMD's season ends.

I'm sorry to be the downer, but this is a signing for Manchester or Ontario. There is nothing wrong with that, teams need to stock minor league affiliates.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:51 AM
  #35
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos
 
King'sPawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 8,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
O'Neill is 24 years old and plays in the ECAC. Brown is 22 and plays in the WCHA. There really is no comparison.

Teams will be doing backflips to try and sign JT Brown when UMD's season ends.

I'm sorry to be the downer, but this is a signing for Manchester or Ontario. There is nothing wrong with that, teams need to stock minor league affiliates.
I agree. This guy isn't being signed to be Matt Read. He may turn out that way, but I'm pretty sure the idea of the signing is for minor league depth.

Manchester still needs depth forwards as they push for the playoffs, but hell, even if they do intend to keep him, then I'd happily take him over Richardson.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:03 AM
  #36
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I'll be real excited if the Kings can get JT Brown
Agree 100% He's right up there on my list of kids to watch. I still want Dekeyser even though he's a D-man, but if we get a forward I'd like to see Brown or Spencer Abbott.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Kaunisto has actually been a real good character gone in Manchester this year if I am not mistaken.
Maybe, but it doesn't change from my point that as far as an NHL career goes he's a bust. I like Ray, but the last thing we need is a character forward who can't score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice430 View Post
so the kings finally signed an Ivy League prospect that ISNT an enforcer?
He isn't yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
You want Jt Brown? The guy who is 2 inches taller and 5 pounds heavier than O'Neill? Same guy who has 46 points in 36 games, just like O'Neill?

You make a big deal about size yet say you want a guy marginally bigger than said player with the same numbers. Maybe we should be happy we got O'Neill since he seems just like JT Brown??
You haven't seen Brown have you? I also assume you haven't played hockey either. Ask an NHL player if there's a difference between being 5'10, 170 and 5'8, 165. It can be a world of difference, especially depending on the body build of the player.

Also, comparing the different programs (Yale and U of M-D), not to mention age and years of development, Brown's just a far superior product.

There's way more to a player than stats can show.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:47 AM
  #37
Fat Elvis
Registered User
 
Fat Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Money Pit
Country: United States
Posts: 5,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post

You haven't seen Brown have you? I also assume you haven't played hockey either. Ask an NHL player if there's a difference between being 5'10, 170 and 5'8, 165. It can be a world of difference, especially depending on the body build of the player.

Also, comparing the different programs (Yale and U of M-D), not to mention age and years of development, Brown's just a far superior product.

There's way more to a player than stats can show.
No, haven't seen either player. But I've played competitive sports my entire life and know that 5 pounds is nothing (unless it puts you in a different weight class ). You have a point with the difference in the two divisions that Brown and O'Neill play in. But my point was that their size is not that different. Another player site had O'Neill at 5'9, so we can be talking a fraction of an inch. I'm just not sold when someone says X can't play because he's too small, yet Y is a stud when they are a fraction of an inch appart. I wasn't comparing their play, just their size.

But ya, having seen neither play. You are probably right in Brown playing the better hockey, but their size is a mute point I think (because they are so close).

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:07 AM
  #38
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Agree 100% He's right up there on my list of kids to watch. I still want Dekeyser even though he's a D-man, but if we get a forward I'd like to see Brown or Spencer Abbott.



Maybe, but it doesn't change from my point that as far as an NHL career goes he's a bust. I like Ray, but the last thing we need is a character forward who can't score.
As much as I'd love Dekeyser, we really do not need him. Every time I've watched him he's been great but we have more than enough young dman and signing him would mean possibly moving out someone the Kings have spent time and money to develop. I know you were just saying you'd like him but yeah I never see that happening

As for Kaunitso, have to agree here. If you look at potential 4th liners for us, we have much better prospects. Nolan scored 7 more points than him in 21 less games and Nolan is two years younger. We also have guys like Cliche and Andreoff who look like better 4th line prospects.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:17 AM
  #39
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
As much as I'd love Dekeyser, we really do not need him. Every time I've watched him he's been great but we have more than enough young dman and signing him would mean possibly moving out someone the Kings have spent time and money to develop. I know you were just saying you'd like him but yeah I never see that happening
Agreed. For Dekeyser's part I can't see him signing here either due to our depth. He's more likely to go to a team like Tampa Bay where he's almost guaranteed an NHL job right out of the gate.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 06:52 PM
  #40
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,269
vCash: 500
And he scores his 1st pro goal in his 1st pro game to break the tie. Clearly we were all wrong and we found our next superstar.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 08:01 PM
  #41
Flour Child
Unleavened User
 
Flour Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Drury Lane
Posts: 21,412
vCash: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
And he scores his 1st pro goal in his 1st pro game to break the tie. Clearly we were all wrong and we found our next superstar.
I like what you did there.

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 09:16 PM
  #42
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos
 
King'sPawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 8,208
vCash: 500
I feel like I'm asking a stupid question, but I genuinely don't know.

O'Neill signed a one year deal, but contracts expire July 1st... so does that mean he's only signed until July 1st, and he'll be a free agent again?

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 09:16 PM
  #43
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
I feel like I'm asking a stupid question, but I genuinely don't know.

O'Neill signed a one year deal, but contracts expire July 1st... so does that mean he's only signed until July 1st, and he'll be a free agent again?
No. Contract won't start until next year. He's in the AHL on an amateur try out.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 09:16 PM
  #44
Chazz Reinhold
Registered User
 
Chazz Reinhold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Stanley Cup
Country: United States
Posts: 6,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
I feel like I'm asking a stupid question, but I genuinely don't know.

O'Neill signed a one year deal, but contracts expire July 1st... so does that mean he's only signed until July 1st, and he'll be a free agent again?
I think someone pointed out that he'll be a RFA after this season.

EDIT: Or maybe what cns is true.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 09:20 PM
  #45
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
I think someone pointed out that he'll be a RFA after this season.

EDIT: Or maybe what cns is true.
I'm right. Trust me

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 02:14 PM
  #46
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
No. Contract won't start until next year. He's in the AHL on an amateur try out.
I believe actually it's a one year deal with LA.

Due to his age, O'Neill could only sign a one-year entry level contract. Those 21 and under can sign 3-year deals, 22 and 23 get 2-year deals and 24 gets a one-year deal. O'Neill is 24 before July 1st, which is the date used to determine a players age for the purposes of an entry-level deal

The contract will be over after the season (this year serves as the one year) and then LA can resign him beyond that. I assume a 2-3 year deal at whatever he signed for now (likely in the range of $925,000 per year).

http://www.hockeyfights.com/news/171913

According to this, the deal is with LA, not an amateur try-out.

That's how I understand it anyways.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 02:16 PM
  #47
Belanger25
ZUES!
 
Belanger25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Upland
Country: Italy
Posts: 3,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I believe actually it's a one year deal with LA.

Due to his age, O'Neill could only sign a one-year entry level contract. Those 21 and under can sign 3-year deals, 22 and 23 get 2-year deals and 24 gets a one-year deal. O'Neill is 24 before July 1st, which is the date used to determine a players age for the purposes of an entry-level deal

The contract will be over after the season (this year serves as the one year) and then LA can resign him beyond that. I assume a 2-3 year deal at whatever he signed for now (likely in the range of $925,000 per year).

http://www.hockeyfights.com/news/171913

According to this, the deal is with LA, not an amateur try-out.

That's how I understand it anyways.
Cap Geek is showing that the contract is next years, so they must have signed the PTO and started the contract next year. I assumed it started this year as well.

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=2178

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 02:45 PM
  #48
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
Cap Geek is showing that the contract is next years, so they must have signed the PTO and started the contract next year. I assumed it started this year as well.

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=2178
If so, I stand corrected.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 03:11 PM
  #49
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
If so, I stand corrected.
Yeah the above is correct. This is generally how college free agent signings work. The contracts are signed for the next season and while they CAN be signed for the rest of the current season, O'Neill isn't. Same situation with the Sens Cole Schneider. He signed a two year deal but is also in the AHL on a try out and his contract will start next season.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 07:59 PM
  #50
backhander
Registered User
 
backhander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
let's hope this guy is a 40 goal scorer if not i'll take 20

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.