HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lakers, Clippers, Dodgers, Angels Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2012, 03:30 PM
The VEGASKING
#1 fan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
Great move to get somebody to take Waltons contract. Can't believe they didn't use that free exemption on him. Now they can use it to kill another bad contract later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by took420s View Post
04 will never be forgotten!
Never yelled louder in my life when that went in. I made this right after it happened. So small but bandwidth wasn't so good back then.

Like everyone else I'm sad to see him go but he is done. Just too bad you can't keep a guy like that as your 11th or 12th man.

Old
03-15-2012, 05:11 PM
no name

Basically the trades involved clearing money. The players they got back are terrible and either are in the D league or should not be stepping on the court. Sessions is the exception but is a terrible starter. He is amongst the worst shooters in the NBA, has a terrible turnover percentage and can't hold an NBA job. He's worth a shot considering what we have but nothing they did today will truely help. They basically traded both first round draft picks to free up 21million, which equates to 42 million Jim Buss would have had to pay out.

Old
03-15-2012, 05:15 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASKING View Post
Great move to get somebody to take Waltons contract. Can't believe they didn't use that free exemption on him. Now they can use it to kill another bad contract later.

Never yelled louder in my life when that went in. I made this right after it happened. So small but bandwidth wasn't so good back then.

Like everyone else I'm sad to see him go but he is done. Just too bad you can't keep a guy like that as your 11th or 12th man.

They could have traded the exemtion for Sessions but Jim Buss wanted to double that value, 18 million, by not using it. Plus, by giving up his first he was able to dump Kapono and Walton. Altogether, Jim Buss just saved 60 million dollars total counting the exemption. That sounds good if they plan on using the money in the offseason but nobody believe Jim Buss truely cares about winning since taking over for his father, including Kobe.

Old
03-15-2012, 05:46 PM
took420s

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Basically the trades involved clearing money. The players they got back are terrible and either are in the D league or should not be stepping on the court. Sessions is the exception but is a terrible starter. He is amongst the worst shooters in the NBA, has a terrible turnover percentage and can't hold an NBA job. He's worth a shot considering what we have but nothing they did today will truely help. They basically traded both first round draft picks to free up 21million, which equates to 42 million Jim Buss would have had to pay out.
while i agree that most of the moves equated to a money savings that was much needed considering the new CBA, i disagree about Sessions being a terrible shooter etc.

1st of all the Lakers didnt need a shooting pg, Kobe, Gasol/Bynum are your scoring options 1-3. Sessions does have a low fg % at about 40%...but his 3 pt % is about 42 % (this year) and that is where his shots will come from when the doubles come to Bynum/Gasol and they need to kick out to a shooter.

RE Jim Buss, how quickly we forget that he traded for CP3 only to have Stern and the other owners block it. but its popular to hate on him, im just not so quick to judge the guy its clear he wants to win or else they would have dumped Gasol for peanuts and used the amnesty on Artest. Odom dump looks great now in hindsight the guy was not into it this year. people forget just how restrictive this new cba is to team over the cap.

Sessions also has a very good assist/turnover ratio at 2.5/1

He's not been given much of a chance to be a starter, but when given minutes Sessions has shown he's much better than Fish, and marginally better than Blake.

Fisher couldnt throw a lob to save his life nor could he convert a basic layup most attempts. Sessions job will be to get the ball to Bynum/Gasol and hit a few open threes when all else fails.

Sure Fisher hit some really big shots, but one has to ask if he was so slow on Defense all these years how many of those big shots would not have even been necessary? Either way Fish was/is a Laker legend. not HOF worthy and not worthy of his jersey to be retired...but a legend nonetheless.

Old
03-15-2012, 06:02 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawdler View Post
as long as McJerk keeps the parking lots I'm staying away, its reported that he'll get 14 million annually just by owning the lots, I want that guy completely gone from anything to do with the Dodgers
Park outside the stadium and hike in. Don't let McCourt spoil your love for the team after he sells.

Old
03-15-2012, 06:05 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

I'm not too excited that LA basically traded Odom and Fisher for Jordan Hill.

Old
03-15-2012, 06:11 PM
took420s

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
you cant look at it that way, the team was so far over the cap they had to make moves like that.

you gotta remember, new cba states that a team over the cap no longer has that Mid Level Exception contract they can use to add talent like they did before + the luxury tax is no longer 1:1 it scales up + increased revenue sharing etc.

they kept Gasol who could have netted them their biggest savings, now he still my be dealt in the offseason but the moves they made today say they think this current team can contend for a title THIS year at least.

Old
03-15-2012, 06:32 PM
HeadInjury

Fisher is 37 and the worst starting point guard in the league this season. That doesn't mean I love him any less, as he's probably the classiest Laker of all time. But the Lakers have a history of not getting sentimental and making unpopular moves for the sake of the team. Trading Goodrich, trading Norm Nixon, letting Wilkes go, trading Sam Perkins, etc. This has been going on for 30 years. It's cold, heartless ... and shrewd.

Sessions is an improvement over Fisher and Blake.

Old
03-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
It looks like McDougal got rocked today. I watched the first part of the game but didnt get to see him pitch. It was cool to see Gordon take that base too.

Old
03-15-2012, 06:38 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Don't forget about the first roun. Pick too....

Odom was a good bench player and if he wasn't a baby he still would be on the lakers.

I think all lakers fans love what fisher brought over the past decade, but he is such a liability on both ends this year.

And someone said it already but dumping Walton is a goodthing and sessions is a upgrade at the pg position.

These moves won't fetch the lakers a championship IMO, but they were pretty decent moves. Upgrading the roster and shedding salary is never a bad thing.

Old
03-15-2012, 07:44 PM
no name

Quote:
while i agree that most of the moves equated to a money savings that was much needed considering the new CBA, i disagree about Sessions being a terrible shooter etc.

RE Jim Buss, how quickly we forget that he traded for CP3 only to have Stern and the other owners block it. but its popular to hate on him, im just not so quick to judge the guy its clear he wants to win or else they would have dumped Gasol for peanuts and used the amnesty on Artest. Odom dump looks great now in hindsight the guy was not into it this year. people forget just how restrictive this new cba is to team over the cap.

Sessions also has a very good assist/turnover ratio at 2.5/1

He's not been given much of a chance to be a starter, but when given minutes Sessions has shown he's much better than Fish, and marginally better than Blake.

Sessions knock has always been his shooting. He couldn't shoot at nevada or any team he's been at. He is one of the worst finishers you will ever see and the Lakers need a penetrator.

Regarding Buss, it was well chronicalized that the CP3 trade would have saved the Lakers 8 million a year, which equates to 16 million a year. The rumors from the end of last year was that Lamar and his salary were going to be gone. Pau and CP3's salary is close to a wash but Pau was under contract for longer and had been quoted as mentioning the phrase "moving Pau's contract for the right piece". That says he was thinking just as much about money as he was player.

Analysts have been chronicalizing his every move and breaking down the patterns and his verbal reasoning behind them. he always slips up. That is why Kobe won't ever refer to him by name in interviews.

Old
03-15-2012, 07:49 PM
riseandfall9

I consider myself a pretty big Lakers fan.

But Jerry Buss is too busy with that young 24 year old p*ssy and Jim Buss is a complete moron.

Really? Fisher traded with a 1st to save $3.4 million dollars and an additional $900,000 in taxes ? They just signed a ****en Billion dollar TV deal. Jim Buss stop pinching pennies. Im telling you DL and Jim Buss need to stop watching ****en Money Ball. Get it through your head they arnt making a movie about you.

Old
03-15-2012, 07:51 PM
riseandfall9

Btw ... Can we get a Real Madrid thread too? L

Old
03-15-2012, 07:51 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
Don't forget about the first roun. Pick too....

Odom was a good bench player and if he wasn't a baby he still would be on the lakers.

I think all lakers fans love what fisher brought over the past decade, but he is such a liability on both ends this year.

And someone said it already but dumping Walton is a goodthing and sessions is a upgrade at the pg position.

These moves won't fetch the lakers a championship IMO, but they were pretty decent moves. Upgrading the roster and shedding salary is never a bad thing.
The Lakers traded that first round pick. Odom was a gonner no matter what. He was actively shopped the second the Lakers were allowed to and he ended up being traded twice.

Sessions is worth a try considering his age and they couldn't have three PG's on the roster all making over 4 million so Fisher had to be traded once the Blake deal fell through. But Fisher and the first were given away simply to move salary. Hill is a terrible ball player. He's more of an oddity than player.

Old
03-15-2012, 07:54 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
I consider myself a pretty big Lakers fan.

But Jerry Buss is too busy with that young 24 year old p*ssy and Jim Buss is a complete moron.

Really? Fisher traded with a 1st to save $3.4 million dollars and an additional $900,000 in taxes ? They just signed a ****en Billion dollar TV deal. Jim Buss stop pinching pennies. Im telling you DL and Jim Buss need to stop watching ****en Money Ball. Get it through your head they arnt making a movie about you.
Yup. Jim Buss will forever be known as the guy who said you can get a dozen drunks from a bar and they can do the same job as a scout. That was when he fired the Lakers head scout of 30 years. Stay classy.

Old
03-15-2012, 08:31 PM
took420s

Inheretence tax has been a real concern for the buss family since the team is their primary source of income and it's value is over a billion dollars. The new cba also takes a chunk of that as revenue sharing. I agree there are bad vibes surrounding the firing of staff last year while they were still in the playoffs. I scratch my head at the firing of asst gm Ronnie Lester who was responsible for scouting to make way for Jimmy's bartender, some guy named Chaz? Jerry is still consulted, Mitch is still an elite gm, and it's the Los Angeles effing Lakers!

I don't think Ramon sessions starts a single game this year barring a injury to Blake, which would mean the Lakers replaced their captain and starting pg for a backup pg...I'm a Blake fan I think he can take the starting job for rest of the year but Sessions will get 25ish minutes like Fish averaged but will do more with them. Blake will probably close most if not all games as well. That's my guess at least.

Old
03-16-2012, 03:35 AM
ru4reals

As a looooong time Laker fan all I have to say is the truth hurts and this team will not be winning a title for a very long time! This team cannot win on the road and they have a wretched bench! Two things that are extremely important to win a title! Love the Lakes but reality hits and I'm accepting the truth! Oh yeah Jim Buss is garbage! I'm pretty sure Kobe agrees with me!

Old
03-17-2012, 06:42 PM
no name

Rick Bueker (spelling) said that the Lakers sold the first round pick to the Rockets for 825,000 dollars. The deal was Fisher and his cap relief for Hill but the Rockets offered additional cash for draft picks and the Lakers bit. This was also hinted on by the LA Times.

So I guess this means Buss is hanging out with Frank McCourt and learning his ways. McCourt famously sold top catcher Carlos Santana for 2.5 million dollars in the Rob Blake trade a couple years back.

Old
03-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Dawdler

Quote:
Rick Bueker (spelling) said that the Lakers sold the first round pick to the Rockets for 825,000 dollars. The deal was Fisher and his cap relief for Hill but the Rockets offered additional cash for draft picks and the Lakers bit. This was also hinted on by the LA Times.

So I guess this means Buss is hanging out with Frank McCourt and learning his ways. McCourt famously sold top catcher Carlos Santana for 2.5 million dollars in the Rob Blake trade a couple years back.
I think you mean Casey Blake

Old
03-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
I still think Casey was a huge part of the playoff run that year.

Old
03-17-2012, 07:47 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
I still think Casey was a huge part of the playoff run that year.
Casey Blake was already traded for. The Santana deal was straight cash. Ron Swanson will back me on that.

Old
03-17-2012, 08:21 PM
took420s

Quote:

That pick was top 20 protected and Dallas had 6 years to deliver it. 1st round players get guaranteed contracts.

So LA sold a pick they wouldn't have been able to use for 6 years in all likelihood and avoided the guaranteed salary slot that would be needed should they be forced to take it.

They have developing players in Ebanks and Morris. Hill and Sessions are better than any player they are likely to see at a late 1st round.

Jim and Mitch did a phenomenal job at the deadline, got better while shedding salary. Fact.

Old
03-17-2012, 08:27 PM
no name

Quote:
That pick was top 20 protected and Dallas had 6 years to deliver it. 1st round players get guaranteed contracts.

So LA sold a pick they wouldn't have been able to use for 6 years in all likelihood and avoided the guaranteed salary slot that would be needed should they be forced to take it.

They have developing players in Ebanks and Morris. Hill and Sessions are better than any player they are likely to see at a late 1st round.

Jim and Mitch did a phenomenal job at the deadline, got better while shedding salary. Fact.
I'm not saying they did a bad job. I'm just pointing out a pattern. I'm sure a team that is very old like the Lakers could use all picks for development or trades for players, not cash. Those type of deals are not Mitch's style and he seemed very upset at the Fisher press conference. He seemed like he wasn't calling all the shots in the way he was talking about money and direction.

In regards to Sessions, I wouldn't get too used to him. He can opt out of his contract at seasons end and he's certain to require more cash than the 4.3 million he's set to make if he keeps his contract. If he makes any impact as a Laker he will be gone and the Lakers have shown no signs of wanting to pay.

Old
03-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Dawdler

Quote:
Casey Blake was already traded for. The Santana deal was straight cash. Ron Swanson will back me on that.
according to Baseball-Reference.com he was part of the Casey deal

Quote:
July 26, 2008: Traded by the Cleveland Indians with cash to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Jon Meloan and Carlos Santana.

Old
03-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawdler View Post
according to Baseball-Reference.com he was part of the Casey deal
He was, but he was only added so the Dodgers could receive money back. It was terrible. They should have been able to get Sabathia if they were trading the best prospect in baseball. That was all McCourt and Colletti. Such a terrible trade.

Closed Thread