HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#71 Rangers vs Avalanche

Old
03-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Esa 10

vCash: 500
Varlamov thoroughly outplayed Lundy, it's as simple as that. Henrik stopped one great Colorado chance all night, where he had to go across the crease in the middle of the 3rd. Bickel was a turnstile on Hunwick's goal (still a mystery why Torts prefers him to Stralman), Prust left Landeskog alone for some bizarre reason in front of the net after sticking to him earlier in the shift. Feds should've tried to block the point shot, but the 3rd line is on for another goal against. Lundy though needs to stop that even with a deflection. Your Vezina front runner needs to make a couple of amazing saves to win games this time of year, especially when the opposite goalie is standing on his head all night. Varly certainly did, just like Fleury on Thursday and many other goalies around the league every night. Lundy hasn't been in Vezina form for awhile now, he needs to get it together.

Overall they played a great game, excellent offensive chances, even the PP looked good half the time and they gave up very little defensively. They'll win most of the remaining games playing like this once Lundy's back in form.

Esa 10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

good game for the rangers but Varlamov was better.

Mann everytime I hear Varlamov's name I think of the playoffs :x I want that out of my head asap!

btw I was flipping through the Knicks, Rangers and part of the Mets game how did Erixon do?

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
Remember the year we beat Washington 6-0 and 7-0 in the regular season and I think only lost 1 game of the season series, then lost to them in the 1st round? I have a sinking feeling that Philly will end up, at this point the way we/they've been playing, beating us in a PO series.
Never thought we matched up well with Washington. We just didn't have the skill to beat them in a PO series. I believe we're the better team overall than Philadelphia. We'll see in our final game against them...

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:02 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
Varlamov thoroughly outplayed Lundy, it's as simple as that. Henrik stopped one great Colorado chance all night, where he had to go across the crease in the middle of the 3rd. Bickel was a turnstile on Hunwick's goal (still a mystery why Torts prefers him to Stralman), Prust left Landeskog alone for some bizarre reason in front of the net after sticking to him earlier in the shift. Feds should've tried to block the point shot, but the 3rd line is on for another goal against. Lundy though needs to stop that even with a deflection. Your Vezina front runner needs to make a couple of amazing saves to win games this time of year, especially when the opposite goalie is standing on his head all night. Varly certainly did, just like Fleury on Thursday and many other goalies around the league every night. Lundy hasn't been in Vezina form for awhile now, he needs to get it together.

Overall they played a great game, excellent offensive chances, even the PP looked good half the time and they gave up very little defensively. They'll win most of the remaining games playing like this once Lundy's back in form.
On the second goal, the Boyle line got completely caught in the offensive zone. Colorado was able to get the puck up quickly. By the time that line had gotten back, they totally missed their assignments.

That line is a SERIOUS problem with its lack of speed. Prust is pretty much the only guy with good wheels.

I am just going to say this right now. Brian Boyle will NEVER win a stanley cup. Especially as a third line center. I am not even sure he has enough physicality to be a good 4th liner. His skating is so poor and clumsy that he hurts this club more than helps. The only thing he does serviceably well is the PK.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:02 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Will not matter in the first round of the playoffs. We lose there, and the rest of the year is wasted.
I don't believe we will.

We have the Flyers's number this year.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

I don't understand how people can say that Hank should've stopped that shot.

The puck was deflected practically right in front of him, so there's no reaction time for the goalie.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
I don't believe we will.

We have the Flyers's number this year.
Assuming they get the Flyers, who are also playing better as of late.

Disintegrated MCL
rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Well, Id like to know thoughts. 1st place is lost, those are mine.

Have a mantastic time

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:07 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post

Lundqvist didn't get thoroughly outplayed. The first goal was a great finish, right under the crossbar. Bickel needs to lay Hunwick out. The second one was a deflection. Not a bad goal in the 2. Sure Varlamov outplayed him, but that's not saying much, he probably outplayed every goalie tonight. Varlamov was also the luckier goalie tonight. Why do I feel like I'm the only one defending Lundqvist now when I was the only one criticizing him earlier this season when he gave up legit bad goals? (I'm talking about one short stretch he had early in the year).

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:09 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Another thing that is DRIVING ME NUTZ lately is our transition play. Specifically, Torts overusing the stretch pass.

Dear God, we are not skilled enough to keep on trying to hit stretch passes from our own corner in the zone. We have to starting skating the puck up the ice as a five man unit.

These stretch passes are dumb as hell. Vancouver tried to do the same crap against the Bruins last year in the finals. Didn't work.

TORTS STOP COACHING LIKE ITS 2004!!!!!!

We can't even do decent dump ins because we would rather do stretch pass tips to start a forecheck. So our forwards are never are able to skate down the puck. Just really stupid coaching.

Old
03-17-2012, 11:10 PM
MDL8981

This team just isnt great. They've been .500 for a month now. They are finding ways to lose.

The defense isnt good...and although we can generate shots, we dont have the ability to finish. We'll probably get the Flyers in Round 1. Maybe we can beat them if Bryzgalov is shaky, but if he plays like he has been as of late...it will be a quick playoff exit.

Find more offensive talent for next year please.

MDL8981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:15 PM
trilobyte

I feel good about this team.

Sure, they have their challenges, but when you look at other teams, it's pretty hard to fault the Rangers. This team is not going to roll over and show their belly, they are going to regroup and get better. The real test is the playoffs, and I see nothing from any other team in the East that says the Rangers cannot beat them in a 7 game series.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:20 PM
MDL8981

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post

Sure, they have their challenges, but when you look at other teams, it's pretty hard to fault the Rangers. This team is not going to roll over and show their belly, they are going to regroup and get better. The real test is the playoffs, and I see nothing from any other team in the East that says the Rangers cannot beat them in a 7 game series.
What makes you think this team can beat the Pens? Heck if the Flyers get semi-decent goaltending we probably cant beat even them.

MDL8981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post

We just haven't had enough "comfortable" wins this year.

I want a game that's over 10 minutes into the 1st period. We just can't extend leads.

Megustaelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Stepan2Gaborik

Thank you Cuba gooding jr for the picture after the game. Hope you found 8th ave!!

Stepan2Gaborik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:36 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
We just haven't had enough "comfortable" wins this year.

I want a game that's over 10 minutes into the 1st period. We just can't extend leads.
Well that is partly a system issue. We grind on the perimeter a bit too much.

Blowout teams are skill teams that play a puck possession type of game. We don't play a puck possession game, we defer the puck. We would rather play away from the puck and wait for our chances to carry the play.

That is just our style. The only hope of blowing out teams are bad goaltending, or the other team doesn't even show up. Not likely at this time of the year.

Old
03-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Look, at the end of the day, we all know that Bobby Granger is to blame for the loss.

DAMN YOU BOBBY GRANGER!!!!

Old
03-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Machinehead
TG15:WoodlandCritter

No big deal. We outclassed them and the netminder stole one. That's hockey.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:57 PM
landstuhltaylor

Avs fan fan here, came on from the Boston area for the game. The Rangers played a great game and should have won if not for Varly. I'm routing for you guys in the East.

landstuhltaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:04 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Well that is partly a system issue. We grind on the perimeter a bit too much.

Blowout teams are skill teams that play a puck possession type of game. We don't play a puck possession game, we defer the puck. We would rather play away from the puck and wait for our chances to carry the play.

That is just our style. The only hope of blowing out teams are bad goaltending, or the other team doesn't even show up. Not likely at this time of the year.
That's part of it, but this team really just lacks finishers. We need Kreider to come in next year and be part of the answer. We need to hope Parise will come to New York. And we need to hope enough of the guys from the group of Fasth, Thomas, and St. Croix pan out in the coming years to give us enough offensive punch.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:04 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor View Post
Avs fan fan here, came on from the Boston area for the game. The Rangers played a great game and should have won if not for Varly. I'm routing for you guys in the East.
Prepare to be disappointed then, unless the Rangers continue playing like they did today and like they did most games in March, I don't see them going far. But as I said earlier they'll be good if they play like they did today. No they won't outshoot every team 42-20, but if they play with the same effort.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Machinehead
TG15:WoodlandCritter

Nothing to see here, never mind.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:11 AM
terrrrrible

i take all blame for this loss. the rangers are 1-5 in games i've been to in my lifetime. my girlfriend almost threatened to break up with me because we've lost every game we've ever gone to together.

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:15 AM
pld459666

Can't believe we are going to blow a 12 point lead down the stretch.

Watching this happen suuuuucks

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:22 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrrrrible View Post
i take all blame for this loss. the rangers are 1-5 in games i've been to in my lifetime. my girlfriend almost threatened to break up with me because we've lost every game we've ever gone to together.
Solution, although it doesn't seem intuitive: go to more games.

Megustaelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote