HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#71 Rangers vs Avalanche

Old
03-18-2012, 01:30 AM
ltsthinaz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Their system certainly got them enough looks. But they probably would have gotten better looks in a puck possession system. Still, its all speculation.
As we know, they don't have the players for that type of system.

BTW, I thought Erixon looked a lot betterthan when he was here earlier in the season. I'd like to see them rest MDZ a little more, he still looks hurt.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:31 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Pens can beat you in a couple ways. They have a puck possession system as well as forechecking system that can be employed. If one approach isn't working, they switch to another. The point is, they have the ability to change their playing style.

I still don't think the Pens can win tight defensive games. I am not overwhelmingly impressed with their D corps besides Letang. It remains to be seen with them.
But tell me who are these great players that are better than Callahan on the Pens? It's Crosby, Malkin, to a much smaller extent Staal, Neal, and a bunch of scrubs. That's 4 players that are better than Callahan. Granted that's more players on the Pens who are better than Callahan than on the Rangers (Gaborik and Richards for sure, Stepan is arguable).

Edit: I left out Letang since he's a D-man.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:33 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
I love Cally but he's no Hartnell offensively.
He's also playing on a MUCH more offensively potent team. He has 7 more goals in 6 more games on a much better offensive team. He does have a lot more assists though.

Old
03-18-2012, 01:38 AM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
He's also playing on a MUCH more offensively potent team. He has 7 more goals in 6 more games on a much better offensive team. He does have a lot more assists though.
Ultimately it comes down to the Rangers getting healthy and a bit more rested, and Lundquist regaining his form.

On second thought tonight, though, he had no chance on either goal - he wasn't tested hard enough otherwise to know if he's back.

Old
03-18-2012, 01:39 AM
Fanned On It

Ya know it sucks because I really like that "puck-posession" style of play that Detroit and the Hawks and teams like that employ, but I'm a Ranger fan through and through =\. How I wish this team had more speed and more players with gifted hands. We need 1 more Gaborik and 1 more Richards and I think we'd see a lot more goals. Actually, what we really need is a guy like Tavares who can carry the puck and deke through defenders. We don't really have anyone on our team that is "slippery" and can squeeze through tight holes in the slot. Hagelin is almost there, though I don't know if he has the hands to do it.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:41 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsthinaz View Post
As we know, they don't have the players for that type of system.

BTW, I thought Erixon looked a lot betterthan when he was here earlier in the season. I'd like to see them rest MDZ a little more, he still looks hurt.
Oh for sure, they can't play a puck possession system with their current configuration. You can't have a Brian Boyle on a puck possession team. I was just speculating IF they were. Allow me to dream.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:44 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
You're right but that is always going to be the x factor on these teams compared to the Rangers meaning that even their fringe players are going to put up better numbers than if they played with the Rangers because they are playing with better offensive players on these teams.

Hartnell for example has put up over 200 goals in his career.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:47 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
But tell me who are these great players that are better than Callahan on the Pens? It's Crosby, Malkin, to a much smaller extent Staal, Neal, and a bunch of scrubs. That's 4 players that are better than Callahan. Granted that's more players on the Pens who are better than Callahan than on the Rangers (Gaborik and Richards for sure, Stepan is arguable).

Edit: I left out Letang since he's a D-man.
Its not that they are better players. Its some of those guys have skillsets that are useful in a puck possession system. Dupuis and Kunitz handle the puck better and pass better than Callahan. That doesn't mean they are better players.

I'll give you an example, John Mitchell could play on a lower line of Detroit. Why? Because he naturally likes to control the puck, and pass. He isn't that good of a player. But with the right team and coaching he can be serviceable.

Zuc is another example. His skillsets would fit a team like Detroit to a T. I don't think Zuc is a better player than Cally. But he has skillsets that compliment that team better.

Old
03-18-2012, 01:51 AM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Oh for sure, they can't play a puck possession system with their current configuration. You can't have a Brian Boyle on a puck possession team. I was just speculating IF they were. Allow me to dream.
Okay.

Old
03-18-2012, 01:57 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Its not that they are better players. Its some of those guys have skillsets that are useful in a puck possession system. Dupuis and Kunitz handle the puck better and pass better than Callahan. That doesn't mean they are better players.

I'll give you an example, John Mitchell could play on a lower line of Detroit. Why? Because he naturally likes to control the puck, and pass. He isn't that good of a player. But with the right team and coaching he can be serviceable.

Zuc is another example. His skillsets would fit a team like Detroit to a T. I don't think Zuc is a better player than Cally. But he has skillsets that compliment that team better.
So you'd rather have a team full of Mitchells than Callahan's, because he plays a style that is more conducive to long term success? There's something that's counterintuitive about Dupuis and Kunitz being on your ideal team over Callahan, while being worse players. Dupuis didn't pass all that great while he was here either.

BTW, here is the top 6 for Vancouver from another thread:

sedin sedin burrows
booth kesler higgins

Higgins, quite possibly the worst Ranger I've seen since the lockout. He seriously made Brian Boyle look like an offensive dynamo and is on the #4 offense in the league. Was he also a better passer than Callahan? Booth's career high is 60 points, his numbers don't look much better than Dubi's. He's on a 51 point pace this year. Nothing super special.

Old
03-18-2012, 01:57 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
0 for 5 on the PP
That is the key...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 02:01 AM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
0 for 5 on the PP
That is the key...
Avs had like 5 scoring chances the whole game and scored twice, Rangers had fives times that and scored one goal.

After the first two, last 3 PP's weren't that bad. Need someone to finish, bottom line.

Old
03-18-2012, 02:01 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
So you'd rather have a team full of Mitchells than Callahan's, because he plays a style that is more conducive to long term success? There's something that's counterintuitive about Dupuis and Kunitz being on your ideal team over Callahan, while being worse players. Dupuis didn't pass all that great while he was here either.

BTW, here is the top 6 for Vancouver from another thread:

sedin sedin burrows
booth kesler higgins

Higgins, quite possibly the worst Ranger I've seen since the lockout. He seriously made Brian Boyle look like an offensive dynamo and is on the #4 offense in the league. Was he also a better passer than Callahan? Booth's career high is 60 points, his numbers don't look much better than Dubi's. He's on a 51 point pace this year. Nothing super special.
I think your missing my point. I'm not advocating that Cally is not on this team(you need players like him on a championship team-you can plug him in anywhere). I don't think Cally is a DRIVING offensive player on a puck possession team. But Cally IS a driving offensive player on a grinding forechecking team. Hence we don't have dynamic scoring.

Look at my original comment. Dupuis and Kunitz both can play in a puck possesion system. But they are not driving offensive players for that team.

Old
03-18-2012, 02:12 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
0 for 5 on the PP
That is the key...
I think you might be on to something.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 02:14 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
I think you might be on to something.
I said earlier, the PP looked good. But they didn't get enough net presence.

Old
03-18-2012, 02:16 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
I think your missing my point. I'm not advocating that Cally is not on this team(you need players like him on a championship team-you can plug him in anywhere). I don't think Cally is a DRIVING offensive player on a puck possession team. But Cally IS a driving offensive player on a grinding forechecking team. Hence we don't have dynamic scoring.

Look at my original comment. Dupuis and Kunitz both can play in a puck possesion system. But they are not driving offensive players for that team.
Isn't at least Kunitz if not both Dupuis and Kunitz on the Pens top line? Bottom line you have Crosby and Malkin and you can have a bunch of grinders. Good passers or no.

Old
03-18-2012, 02:19 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Missed the game.

Good.

I'm going to cry when we pull an 05-06.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 02:22 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Missed the game.

Good.

I'm going to cry when we pull an 05-06.
I don't see that happening unless Gaborik gets hurt and Lundqvist turns into a complete sieve that can't stop a beach ball. That would still not be the equivalent since Jagr 05-06>>>>Gaborik of this year. Also this team has been far better than that team all year.

Edit: Jagr didn't get hurt for the last 5 games of the season but Lundqvist was terrible in those games as he was injured.

Old
03-18-2012, 02:29 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Isn't at least Kunitz if not both Dupuis and Kunitz on the Pens top line? Bottom line you have Crosby and Malkin and you can have a bunch of grinders. Good passers or no.
We are going in circles, I'm just going to drop it.

Old
03-18-2012, 02:30 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Just finished watching the game.

-Bickel ****ing sucks
-McD rusty, still
-Dubi thinks he's Gretzky behind the net
-Richards looked good
-Hank still a little rusty (that one save on the pass from EJ was sick, though)
-Cally still beasting

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 02:40 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Actually, I thought it looked good too for a while. I think I lost track. When I saw the stats and that they had 5 powerplays with zilch, and then look at all those 5 on 5 chances, I just say to myself what every other Rangers fan says, which is why?

Great team, full of mysteries. This is a great season. We are lucky to be having all these questions.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 02:43 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Actually, I thought it looked good too for a while. I think I lost track. When I saw the stats and that they had 5 powerplays with zilch, and then look at all those 5 on 5 chances, I just say to myself what every other Rangers fan says, which is why?

Great team, full of mysteries. This is a great season. We are lucky to be having all these questions.
Are you saying they didn't play well on the PP? They looked awful on the first PP, since then at the very least 3 of 4 PPs they looked really good. Just couldn't beat Varlamov.

Old
03-18-2012, 02:46 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Are you saying they didn't play well on the PP? They looked awful on the first PP, since then at the very least 3 of 4 PPs they looked really good. Just couldn't beat Varlamov.
Well they had a couple PP's were they couldn't transition(but that is a whole other issue). When they did get possession and start a cycle-they looked good.

Old
03-18-2012, 03:18 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
I wouldn't mind the Pens 1st.
Washington has more ROWs than them, and I could see Ovie and Semen beating out the two douches in ****sburgh

I think Pens sweep Caps. Caps could maybe steal a game.

If we lose #1 we gotta make sure Philly dont catch us. Need home field advantage.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 03:35 AM
shelaur22

Quote:
I think that's why Torts/Sullivan has Boyle standing stupidly in front of the net, looking unsure of what to do. He's our net presence, supposedly.

shelaur22 is offline   Reply With Quote