HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

Finnish Top Prospects ( In Future)

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2012, 07:55 PM
LoveHateLeafs

vCash: 500
Now that the C-junior regular season is over, would anyone care to compare Saarela and Nattinen's seasons to some other great underage seasons? According to Eliteprospects, in terms of points per game they have produced the best underage c-juniors season in 5 years, when Mikael Granlund and Teemu Pulkkinen dominated the league. Of course, there's a pretty big gap: Pulkkinen had 3.91 points per game and Granlund 2.82, while Saarela has 2.57 and Nattinen 2.33. On the other hand, I'd be curious to know if Finnish junior-watchers think that the quality of the league is better or worse now than it was when Granlund and Pulkkinen played as 14-15 year olds.

Old
02-27-2012, 02:29 AM
YARR123

I'm pretty sure the competition is higher now. Now the league is made up of 10 teams, as opposed to 12 or 14 that it's been earlier. Also the stats of some more recent prospects have been a lot less impressive than those of Granlund, Rajala, Pulkkinen, even though some of these prospects are very good now.

Aleksander Barkov (C) Tappara U16 25. 20 + 25 = 45 1.80ppg
Juuso Ikonen (C/LW) Blues U16 21. 15 + 18 = 33 1.57ppg
Artturi Lehkonen (RW) TPS U16 14. 15 + 14 = 29 2.07ppg
Teuvo Teräväinen (RW) Jokerit U16 22. 9 + 12 = 21 0.95ppg
Markus Granlund (C) Laser HT U16 11. 5 + 11 = 16 1.45ppg

Old
02-27-2012, 01:07 PM
ToBBa

Could someone tell me a little about Tommi Taimi? I've seen a couple of his games but I haven't really realised that he's quite a promising dman.

If Ässät won't be playing in the finals this spring, maybe he might even get a chance at the WC training camp.

Old
02-28-2012, 10:40 AM
thomast

Watching Juuso Ikonen once again, he's so ridiculously talented. If this kid was about 5'10 he would be VERY high pick. I have no doubt that he's most talented player offensively from finland for 2013 draft.

Old
02-29-2012, 09:35 PM
thomast

I have to bring up Artturi Lehkonen he had 54pts in 40 games at A-SM with +29 rating as an double/triple underager. 2nd best pointscorer in that team had 38 pts in 48 games, runner up for +\- had +18 in that team. 5th in points and tied 3rd in +\- in whole league. Granlund had 57pts in 35 games in his pre-draft year playing with much better linemates. His numbers are special and he have been flying under radar. HUGE sleeper IMO. He is quite late born draftee aswell.

Old
03-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Tormentor

Pohjola camp for 97’s

All-stars:
GK – Arttu Kulmala, Tappara
D – Jarkko Parikka, Ketterä
D – Atte Töyry, JYP
F – Julius Nättinen, JYP
F – Aleksi Saarela, Lukko (*MVP*)
F – Arttu Ruotsalainen, Kärpät

Top scorers:
1. F - Aleksi Saarela, Lukko (6gp 5g+12a=17p)
2. F - Julius Nättinen, JYP (6gp 10g+1a=11p)
3. F - Petrus Palmu, Jokipojat (6gp 7g+4a=11p)
4. F - Arttu Ruotsalainen, Kärpät (6gp 4g+6a=10p)
5. F - Topi Piipponen, KalPa (6gp 6g+3a=9p)
6. F - Sebastian Aho, Kärpät (6gp 6g+2a=8p)
7. F - Jonne Tammela, YJK (6gp 5g+3a=8p)
8. F - Niko Lönnroos, HIFK (6gp 4g+4a=8p)
9. F - Sami Tavernier, HIFK (6gp 3g+5a=8p)
10. D - Elias Ulander, HIFK (6gp 2g+6a=8p)
11. F - Joni Tuominen, Ilves (6gp 3g+4a=7p)
12. F - Jimi Nylund, Jeppis-MuiK (6gp 3g+4a=7p)
13. F - Kami Kortelainen, Jokerit (6gp 2g+5a=7p)
14. F - Joonas Niemelä, Blues (6gp 2g+5a=7p)
15. F - Erik Embrich, HIFK (6gp 1g+6a=7p)
16. F - Joonas Laaksonen, TPS (6gp 3g+3a=6p)
17. D - Veeti Vainio, Blues (6gp 1g+5a=6p)
18. F - Mikael Huhtala, Pelicans (6gp 5g+0a=5p)
19. F - Otto Rehelmä, Lukko (6gp 4g+1a=5p)
20. F - Niko Peltonen, Lukko (6gp 3g+2a=5p)

Old
03-04-2012, 11:09 AM
ChadS

Here's the list of -97 born "national team candidates" chosen at the Pohjola-camp:

http://www.leijonat.fi/index.php/maa...en-ryhmae.html

I was really suprised not to see Henrik Borgström on the list, even though he was only 24th in the camp scoring. He's 3rd in the C2-juniors scoring and in the games I've seen, he's been clearly Jokerit's best player. He's a bit small but his skill level is quite high, so I find him not being on the list at all a bit weird. Kami Kortelainen is the only Jokerit kid on that list and I personally don't think he's very close to Borgström in terms of talent. One guy from Jokerit sounds pretty bad by the way, hope there'll be a couple late bloomers on that team...

Old
03-04-2012, 03:12 PM
RKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Here's the list of -97 born "national team candidates" chosen at the Pohjola-camp:

http://www.leijonat.fi/index.php/maa...en-ryhmae.html

I was really suprised not to see Henrik Borgström on the list, even though he was only 24th in the camp scoring. He's 3rd in the C2-juniors scoring and in the games I've seen, he's been clearly Jokerit's best player. He's a bit small but his skill level is quite high, so I find him not being on the list at all a bit weird. Kami Kortelainen is the only Jokerit kid on that list and I personally don't think he's very close to Borgström in terms of talent. One guy from Jokerit sounds pretty bad by the way, hope there'll be a couple late bloomers on that team...
Seems like this is pretty bad age group for Jokerit, but I wouldn't be too worried about it. We've had some great age groups lately, especially the -95 borns and they'll easily make up for one weaker group. Borgström not getting selected was surprising, but maybe he just had a weak camp or something. I think his size (168/56) would hold him back in international games. This Kortelainen kid is absolutely huge though if his measurements are correct.

Old
03-04-2012, 03:39 PM
glassbangers
Samu MacGyver

vCash: 50
Jr. A - KalPa vs. Ässät

I were yesterday in Niiralan Monttu watching a game between KalPa and Ässät (Jr. A first playoff round, game 2). My eyes caught KalPa's Toni Kallela who dominated like a friggin' beast. He had so big adventage with his absolutely amazing skating and he has ridiculous hands. Kallela's 6-1 goal was BEAUTY. He skated Ässät's Juusela up, took two defenders with unbelievable deke and scored against Laasala with "forsberg-deke". He was best scorer in regular season with 75 points (33 goals) in 45 games. What is Kallela's potential? Future 1st liner in FEL?

Old
03-05-2012, 03:44 AM
TwoHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
Seems like this is pretty bad age group for Jokerit, but I wouldn't be too worried about it. We've had some great age groups lately, especially the -95 borns and they'll easily make up for one weaker group. Borgström not getting selected was surprising, but maybe he just had a weak camp or something. I think his size (168/56) would hold him back in international games. This Kortelainen kid is absolutely huge though if his measurements are correct.
Maybe Jokerit -97s does not have too many shining individuals but as a team they have done pretty well this season. Two first lines (Heikkinen-Borgström-Okkonen / Kortelainen-Baranov-Aalto ('98)) have scored 259 points combined so they have been quite good pointswise as well. Borgström will be a real late bloomer in my eyes as he is still waiting to grow up so this was not his year yet. Kortelainen is a huge boy and possibly will not grow much anymore, still a hard worker.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Eyelanders

I have seen Alex Lintuniemi three times this year and he seems to be the most promising defenseman on his team (Jokerit B). He is so calm with the puck and has a very good point shot. Lintuniemi also has very good size at 6´2". He is a player who can be used in all situations and he does many things well.

Other players to watch in the same team are Santeri Saari (a physical defenseman who can move the puck), Timi Lahtinen (a competitive and fairly skilled forward), Anton Heikkilä (a very skilled forward who can put up points) and Kevin Lankinen (a very promising goaltender). There are lots of good players on the team. By the way, Jokerit B looks like more of a Junior A team, because they can really skate and think the game at a high level.

Old
03-07-2012, 09:40 AM
RKC

Even though Jokerit was a horribly managed club for a long time, they have always produced good individuals from their own juniors. And now that Kekäläinen has put the whole organization in order from top to bottom I expect even better results from there. Huge player masses and excellent coaching will produce top level players. Hopefully these talented age groups can form a future core for the first team, I'm damn fed up seeing these old, heartless mercenaries cashing in on downside of their careers meanwhile own talented juniors have been moving to other clubs. Fortunately the situation has been getting better after a real professional took control of the club.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:41 AM
Tormentor

Pohjola camp final on Youtube: 1st period, 2nd period

Aleksi Saarela (#8, white) plays centre forward on the 1st line and scores both of his teams goals. The score sheet has some errors in it, but the line-ups are here.

Old
03-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Jere26

It really looks like Aleksi Saarela is dominating the C-Junior playoffs, based by only looking at his stats:
4GP, 8+9 = 17
Not bad.

Old
03-13-2012, 12:58 PM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere26 View Post
It really looks like Aleksi Saarela is dominating the C-Junior playoffs, based by only looking at his stats:
4GP, 8+9 = 17
Not bad.
Mikael Granlund had 10 pts in 8 games and Teemu Pulkkinen had 17pts in 6 games at 15 year old at C-SM playoffs.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:05 PM
ToBBa

Artturi Lehkonen scored against Ässät. He deserves much more hype.

Old
03-18-2012, 02:01 AM
Tormentor

Two Finns made it to THN Future Watch 2012 top-50: Mikael Granlund (2nd) and Joel Armia (24th).

Team top-10’s:
Anaheim Ducks: D – Sami Vatanen (4th)
Buffalo Sabres: RW – Joel Armia (2nd)
Calgary Flames: C – Markus Granlund (7th)
Colorado Avalanche: GK – Sami Aittokallio (7th)
Detroit Red Wings: RW – Teemu Pulkkinen (8th)
Edmonton Oilers: LW – Teemu Hartikainen (4th)
Florida Panthers: RW – Joonas Donskoi (9th)
LA Kings: GK - Chris Gibson (6th)
Minnesota Wild: C – Mikael Granlund (1st)
Nashville Predators: LW – Miikka Salomäki (8th)
St. Louis Blues: D – Jani Hakanpää (6th)
San Jose Sharks: GK – Harri Säteri (8th)

Old
03-18-2012, 02:30 AM
Tormentor

There was also an article about Jake Virtanen (1st overall pick in the 2011 WHL draft). The Flying ‘V’ is apparently planning to visit Finland:

Culturally speaking, it was almost assured Jake Virtanen would become a hockey player - and not just because he hails from British Columbia. “My dad was born in Finland,” he said. “They love hockey there and he got me into it. I’m going to head up there when I’m 19 and see what the culture’s like.”

I hope the people at Finnish Hockey Association contact him and ask if he’s interested of coming to one of the U17 national team camps this summer.

Old
03-18-2012, 03:57 AM
edd1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
There was also an article about Jake Virtanen (1st overall pick in the 2011 WHL draft). The Flying ‘V’ is apparently planning to visit Finland:

Culturally speaking, it was almost assured Jake Virtanen would become a hockey player - and not just because he hails from British Columbia. “My dad was born in Finland,” he said. “They love hockey there and he got me into it. I’m going to head up there when I’m 19 and see what the culture’s like.”

I hope the people at Finnish Hockey Association contact him and ask if he’s interested of coming to one of the U17 national team camps this summer.
Heard good things about him. If he comes to Finland when he's 19 it's too late to get him in team Finland jersey.

Also he seems like that kind of talent who is in NHL at that point.

Jääkiekkoliitto should definitelly send him an invite asap. But the odds are against us, i think.

Old
03-18-2012, 05:29 AM
ChadS

Does that mean he's coming to Finland to do his military service or just coming to visit? It only says his dad was born in Finland, so I have no idea if the kid is actually half-Finnish.

Minnesota must have a good prospect pool since Haula isn't on the top10? 46 points in 40 games makes him tied for 12th in the NCAA.

I'm going to check out the last Jr.A semifinal between Jokerit and HPK tonight, should be a good game.

Old
03-18-2012, 05:45 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Seeing Virtanen in our junior camp should be awesome. However that wouldn't mean he will play in blue and white national jersey

Quote:
Does that mean he's coming to Finland to do his military service
No way he goes to finnish army. He would be the biggest idiot ever.

Quote:
It only says his dad was born in Finland, so I have no idea if the kid is actually half-Finnish.
His father is Finnish-Swede, Jake has Finnish and Canadian nationality.

--

9 games in WHL this season 3+1.

Old
03-18-2012, 05:46 AM
edd1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post

Heard good things about him. If he comes to Finland when he's 19 it's too late to get him in team Finland jersey.

Also he seems like that kind of talent who is in NHL at that point.

Jääkiekkoliitto should definitelly send him an invite asap. But the odds are against us, i think.

Old
03-18-2012, 05:58 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
I don't give a **** about the odds. But I want him to the same camp than TOP finnish -94, -95 or -96 born players. They will see the difference between world class junior player and themselves.

Try to catch Jake on skates!

Old
03-18-2012, 09:02 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
No way he goes to finnish army. He would be the biggest idiot ever.
Your mind changed during the service?

I told you

Old
03-18-2012, 10:26 AM
edd1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
I don't give a **** about the odds. But I want him to the same camp than TOP finnish -94, -95 or -96 born players. They will see the difference between world class junior player and themselves.

Try to catch Jake on skates!
What, do you think someone cares about you not caring?

It doesnt change the fact that the odds are against us. Period.

Dont be an ass in here.

Closed Thread