HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carl Hagelin has saved our season

Old
03-18-2012, 04:38 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

vCash: 500
Carl Hagelin has saved our season

When the season started, people penciled us into the 4th to 6th spot in the East on this board. Looking at the season to date, the title of this thread should be the biggest story line of the season. Saved may not be the appropriate word here, but I'll stand by the statement in the title.

Looking solely based on stats, Hagelin is 5th on this team in total points. He doesn't get big PP time and worked his way up from the 4th line to being on the top line of the team. He plays an important part on the line too. It's not like he's feeding off the two great players he plays with. He's helping them as much as they are helping him.

From the standpoint of other players, Anisimov has had a somewhat down season in production, which was really just one big sequence of games where he was having some personal issues. Dubinsky hasn't been the player we expected. He put up 54 points last season and now he looks like a shell of himself in terms of production. Lately he's been turning it up, but the numbers aren't there. He has surpassed both of their numbers in at least 10 less games than both of them. Richards, who is supposed to be a P/G player, isn't that this season. His lower production, albeit, he's helped the team win more than they would without him, is still something to be slightly concerned about.

Sure, the defense and goaltending have been up to snuff over the course of the season, but without Hagelin's offense, speed, and two way capabilities, this team and season wouldn't be nearly as successful as it currently sits. Ironically, without him, I think we're in the same boat as Ottawa, Washington, Winnipeg, and to some extent New Jersey.

He's been that important to this team. You can say McDonagh, Girardi, Del Zotto, and Richards have made big impacts on this team, but I find it hard right now to say that Hagelin's hasn't been the biggest of the bunch. I really don't think it can be stressed enough that Hagelin has made this team go on many different nights during the season. Ironically enough, I think the next player that is going to make a big impact on our offense from this point on is Zucarello. Our least experienced guys could be a driving force for this team come playoff time.

Not bad for a 6th rounder....

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 05:04 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

yeah, "saved" is a bit too strong.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 05:41 AM
GRIZZ

hE'S A BEAUTY!

GRIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 06:14 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

This is a tough thread to put up when we're basically handing Pittsburgh the 1 seed we've held most of the season.

Saved our season? No, but he was important to our success.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 08:34 AM
Giacomin

It is a long season and the Rangers are neck and neck with the Penguins for first in the conference. I think this team is very good and think they will come out of the East. Hagelin has been a surprise but to say saved the Rangers season is a stretch. The regular season comes down to putting yourself in the best shot to win in the playoffs. Pittsburgh has looked great lately but they also lost 7 in a row this year so they might be peaking a little too early. It all comes down to who gets on a roll in the playoffs and with Lundqvist I like the Rangers chances.
LGR!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 08:41 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I wouldn't say "saved" but he sure has been a pleasant surprise with 35 points in 53 games.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 09:37 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Helped, far from saved.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 09:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
When the season started, people penciled us into the 4th to 6th spot in the East on this board. Looking at the season to date, the title of this thread should be the biggest story line of the season. Saved may not be the appropriate word here, but I'll stand by the statement in the title.

Looking solely based on stats, Hagelin is 5th on this team in total points. He doesn't get big PP time and worked his way up from the 4th line to being on the top line of the team. He plays an important part on the line too. It's not like he's feeding off the two great players he plays with. He's helping them as much as they are helping him.

From the standpoint of other players, Anisimov has had a somewhat down season in production, which was really just one big sequence of games where he was having some personal issues. Dubinsky hasn't been the player we expected. He put up 54 points last season and now he looks like a shell of himself in terms of production. Lately he's been turning it up, but the numbers aren't there. He has surpassed both of their numbers in at least 10 less games than both of them. Richards, who is supposed to be a P/G player, isn't that this season. His lower production, albeit, he's helped the team win more than they would without him, is still something to be slightly concerned about.

Sure, the defense and goaltending have been up to snuff over the course of the season, but without Hagelin's offense, speed, and two way capabilities, this team and season wouldn't be nearly as successful as it currently sits. Ironically, without him, I think we're in the same boat as Ottawa, Washington, Winnipeg, and to some extent New Jersey.

He's been that important to this team. You can say McDonagh, Girardi, Del Zotto, and Richards have made big impacts on this team, but I find it hard right now to say that Hagelin's hasn't been the biggest of the bunch. I really don't think it can be stressed enough that Hagelin has made this team go on many different nights during the season. Ironically enough, I think the next player that is going to make a big impact on our offense from this point on is Zucarello. Our least experienced guys could be a driving force for this team come playoff time.

Not bad for a 6th rounder....
He's been a great find. But to save he saved this season is going too far. And the way they're playing, they may yet finish in 4-6 range.

03-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Hank says "Hi"

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:01 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He's been a great find. But to save he saved this season is going too far. And the way they're playing, they may yet finish in 4-6 range.
That's the main reason for this thread. Without the production of Hagelin, which was unexpected, we'd be falling into the same spot we've been for the past 4 seasons having to deal with the likes of Winnipeg and the rest of the 7th through 11th teams. The others, outside of the major increases of McDonagh and Del Zotto, were expected to perform well. Hagelin was in discussion to be on the roster, but to be an impact player at this point of the season? People would have been crazy. He's saved the left side of our forwards and without him we'd have been in a very bad situation in terms of offense.

Also, my guess is without his production, Sather pulls the Nash deal at the deadline because the "retooling" wasn't going so well this season with Richards on board as well. We'd be seeing McDonagh or Del Zotto on Columbus instead of here.

If this team was sitting in 7th or 8th and falling like they are, I could only imagine what people would be talking about on here, possibly demanding Dubi be moved, Richards being a bust, and other things of the like. He might not have saved our season, but he at least saved everyone on here from going crazy about how some of our players are underperforming on the points side of things.

Old
03-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Saved the season? No.

Played great and shown he belongs on the Rangers top line? Yes

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

He hasn't saved it yet. Pittsburgh still has us bent over right now.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

He hasn't saved the season, but he's definitely been an excellent surprise.

Hopefully a Callahan 2.0.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:49 PM
NickyFotiu

I dont think our season needed saving but he sure has given the team a lot more jump. Also gives the fans a more entertaining team to watch. In terms of points per minute played I think he is second best on the team. That tells me a lot. I like watching him play on that first line.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:52 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

He's having a great rookie season, but saved? Only in the sense that we were counting on Dubinsky, and he stepped in and put up replacement production. If you want to thank someone for this season, thank Sidney Crosby for missing most of it.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Yeah I was gonna point out that he essentially replaced Dubi's production, he's playing at a 54 point pace right now. Now if Dubi were producing like he did last year, we'd be in good shape.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

This is a prophetic thread.

Hagelin is going to hat trick the Penguins in our last game against them, and end up being the difference in us beating out the flightless birds.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 02:37 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
This is a prophetic thread.

Hagelin is going to hat trick the Penguins in our last game against them, and end up being the difference in us beating out the flightless birds.
From this page to an email sent to God.

Old
03-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Replace Hank with Biron for the season and Hagelin doesn't "save" anything.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIZZ View Post
hE'S A BEAUTY!
A terrific story; 6th rounder stays all four years of college and gets progressively better each year. I love him as a player and we can only wish/hope/pray that Fasth is the 2nd coming of Hags!
Gotta love them Swedes, no?

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Vitto79

Saved no but been a big part of the success yep

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod