HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At least Ennis showed up

Old
03-18-2012, 12:42 AM
Squantosawuss

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
Well, I'm pretty much sure that Lindey Ruff won't coach the team 3014.
Ever heard of the "Twilight Zone"?

Lindy behind the bench in 3014:

"It is a joke. I repeat: It is a joke"

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:45 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roymustgo View Post
The Ugly: Kevin Sylvester's call on Ennis' goal. "Ennis...is a Menace!"

Holy crap, that guy has to go.

RJ is clearly winding down his epic career. We are going to need to replace him, and soon. It just can not be Sylvester.

Sylvester and Gare do not even come across as "commercial grade" announcers. They sound like a pair of Sabres fans pretending to be broadcasters in their basement with the volume turned down on the real broadcasters.
QFT.

No lie, I've heard student interns broadcasting junior A that are better.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:54 AM
cybresabre
Zemgus!

vCash: 921
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
We are at a fifty fifty moment. I either do more car bombs or say something that gets me punched in the face... I'm leaning face
Cliffhanger!

What was up with the early camerawork? It felt like a minor league game or like I was in attendance but had tunnel vision.

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:58 AM
PanicItsVanek26

Was I watching that game in slow-motion? The first 50+ minutes was pretty sore on the eyes. Two points out, but it doesn't matter unless Miller has a .960 save percentage in the playoffs.

Anyone else feel like Vanek is playing his way out of Buffalo? We can handle a slump, but at 7.142 you need to at least compete and not throw a fit every time you shoot without scoring. He's not the type of player that is self-motivated and Lindy can't get him going. We need our best players to carry us and the top forwards are MIA.

PanicItsVanek26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:36 AM
cybresabre
Zemgus!

vCash: 921
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
Ever heard of the "Twilight Zone"?

Lindy behind the bench in 3014:

Last edited by cybresabre: 03-18-2012 at 01:46 AM. Reason: ocd- touched up the tie.
cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:38 AM
dire wolf
be cool

FES line was solid - mostly E
Sekera looked pretty good considering he just had pneumonia a few days ago.

Everyone else was pretty sucky for the most part.

Vanek is a head case, plain and simple. You don't bounce back and forth between being dominant and crappy like he does unless you have major confidence issues. Terry needs to hire a team shrink.

Meanwhile, anyone checked out Soupy's stats this year? Unbelievable. That might have been an even bigger f-up than losing Briere. I'm sure we could have extended him for less than $5M/year.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 03:20 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Anyone notice the huge "****" by Vanek after the shootout attempt? Back to frustration for him.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 04:04 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Meanwhile, anyone checked out Soupy's stats this year? Unbelievable. That might have been an even bigger f-up than losing Briere. I'm sure we could have extended him for less than $5M/year.
He wanted 5+ for a ******** of years. No thanks.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 06:28 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
The PP, PP breakout, and ES breakout have been a shade of what they were when he was here since he left. Amazing he still goes unheralded by so many people, as if he were a cancerous poison when here.

It's sba's GBU for tonight vs. Jame's "I'm leaning face" for post of the week, month, calendar year, and possibly season. The runner-up to the winner should take solace in being part of history: having two POTS candidates in the same thread… a GBU, nonetheless.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 06:53 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I vomited tonight.... Been a long time... Still going strong though... This dude next to me called my a vaaajine for not doing another car bomb ...now he thinks I'm the biggest dork ever cuz I told him it was a hockey message board (game was on at bar)... We are at a fifty fifty moment. I either do more car bombs or say something that gets me punched in the face... I'm leaning face
Hey drunk avatar teddy bear, Y U no wear green?

(suggest moving recap of last night's events to the OT thread)

FWIW, my money is on "both" for you: did more car bombs, AND got punched in face...

brian_griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 07:56 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
The PP, PP breakout, and ES breakout have been a shade of what they were when he was here since he left. Amazing he still goes unheralded by so many people, as if he were a cancerous poison when here.

It's sba's GBU for tonight vs. Jame's "I'm leaning face" for post of the week, month, calendar year, and possibly season. The runner-up to the winner should take solace in being part of history: having two POTS candidates in the same thread… a GBU, nonetheless.
Personally, I thought he was good for the team. He was also offered a pretty fair amount of money to stay here. There was no way that Buffalo should have matched what Chicago offered him though. I also have no sour grapes regarding Campbell, but he did go mercenary.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 09:13 AM
aceface33

Just waking up...it seems like the most exciting thing that happened last night is the suspense over whether or not Jame got punched in the face.

aceface33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 09:30 AM
HogtownSabresfan

It's funny to read this thread and wonder what people would have said if we WON the shoot out. The team did not float in this one. They played a tight game, the D was on. The story was the same because our scorers cannot close.this has been the story all year -- fatal lack of scoring. No room for error like soft second goal on MIller.
Call it effort? I dunno. Maybe it's just lack of talent. Is stafford really a 30 goals scorer? No. Boyes washed up for a few years now. Pommers is a 20-25 goal guy. Roy is realistically a 25 goal guy. Leino can be better but he's not a 20 goal guy. Gerbe was out but what has he proven at an NHL level. The only real proven scorer is Vanek (seems injured) and we don't know Ennis' upside yet. The team needs more scoring. Clearly.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 09:40 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
Now that is awesome

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
QFT.

No lie, I've heard student interns broadcasting junior A that are better.
I read all the time about how bad Neal is, and Gare, and Sylvester. I think there are way more important things to discuss, and the only one that is out of place is probably Gare. Suggesting that they should use a shoot out in the playoffs is...wow...so missing the spirit of hockey that he should not really be ever allowed to watch it again.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Zip15

vCash: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
No, he asked for the 5/25 deal the summer before the 2007-08 season, and Goli/Quinn wanted to hold off. Then he got off to a great start and that offer was no longer going to get it done. Before he was traded, Quinn and Golisano made him a predictably unacceptable offer (3yrs, $17m, IIRC), which led to a rare moment when Regier's frustration with ownership was palpable: Regier said those type of offers aren't going to be good enough to retain top players.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 10:52 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
Well, I'm pretty much sure that Lindey Ruff won't coach the team 3014.
With Pegula's bank roll, I wouldn't rule out the use of time travel to bring this level of suck too future generations.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:38 PM
gallagt01

Am I the only one who thought Hodgson had one of his better games as a Sabre last night? I thought he played with a little more jump and made some really nice passes that (surprise surprise) weren't buried by his teammates.

He had a few opportunities himself, but he didn't finish. The shootout sucked though, yeah.

I thought last night was a step in the right direction for Hodgson. I didn't hate that line as much as I thought I would.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:46 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Matt Ellis "I CHOOSE YOU!" should be in that conversation IMO.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:15 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
(Re: Gare & Sylvester) QFT. No lie, I've heard student interns broadcasting junior A that are better.
Honestly, I thought @Fla was one of their better games, but I had a TV broadcast. I can see (read: hear) however, that Sylvester is nowhere near as descriptive, timely, and appropriately terse for a radio broadcast, and I now base that opinion on a large enough sample set. There were several cases where the puck had traveled from one goal line to the other before he updated where the puck was and who had it. Duff, however, is a consumate pro. During the 2nd intermission, when I was listening but not watching, his voice sounded very Ted-Darling like (but I assume that's just the Ontario accent I'm latching onto).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
FES line was solid - mostly E
Sekera looked pretty good considering he just had pneumonia a few days ago.

Everyone else was pretty sucky for the most part.

Vanek is a head case, plain and simple. You don't bounce back and forth between being dominant and crappy like he does unless you have major confidence issues. Terry needs to hire a team shrink.

What's even more amazing are the minutes Sekera played last night, and how well he played despite being sick for so long. Just magnifies how utterly putrid many other Sabres are playing this time of year.
As for Vanek, I said weeks ago the guy has to be injured. If he isn't, we need to find the alien space ship that abducted him. And, to me, he hasn't bounced back and forth. He played well the first half, then has been garbage since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
It's funny to read this thread and wonder what people would have said if we WON the shoot out. The team did not float in this one. They played a tight game, the D was on. The story was the same because our scorers cannot close.this has been the story all year -- fatal lack of scoring. No room for error like soft second goal on MIller.
Call it effort? I dunno. Maybe it's just lack of talent. Is stafford really a 30 goals scorer? No. Boyes washed up for a few years now. Pommers is a 20-25 goal guy. Roy is realistically a 25 goal guy. Leino can be better but he's not a 20 goal guy. Gerbe was out but what has he proven at an NHL level. The only real proven scorer is Vanek (seems injured) and we don't know Ennis' upside yet. The team needs more scoring. Clearly.
I missed the first 23 minutes of the game, but from that point on, I thought the Sabres team D was excellent in keeping stuff out wide and away from Miller, especially from the high slot down to the crease. Very few second, third chances, only one 2-on-1 that I recall, didn't take stupid penalties, etc.

I'll address the scoring at the end of this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
I thought both teams sucked at the shootout. neither team really seems to want that extra point. weird. well, I guess the Sabres wanted it less.
Players from both teams would have scored if they lifted the puck over Miller's or Theodore's pad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
I think Ehrhoff would too, but point taken.
Erhoff at a $4M cap hit is a steal, and he's earning a lot more of that $10M actual salary this season than many think he is. Without Erhoff and Miller, no way BUF would have picked up as many points as they have in the past couple weeks, especially with Myers suspended and Sekera hurt. Some are calling Sekera the Defensive MVP this year, but I'm not so sure it isn't Erhoff. It seemed like he played all 5 minutes of the OT against Colorado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
This team needs a serious infusion of speed. We have got to be one of the slowest teams in the league. Either that or nobody on this team cares enough to go all out. Either way, out with the old in with the new Darcy!!
It's not either / or, it's both / and. Moreover, the only guys who play a straight ahead game are Gerbe, Kaleta, Vanek (who's been in 4WD-Lo for a few weeks) and formerly Kassian who really didn't have any speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
I almost wonder if it's better (for me) if they don't make the playoffs. Watching this team just pisses me off at times. Maybe it's better if the season just ends. IDK
Watching this team pisses me off almost all the time. But I still love the passion in playoff hockey.

==
As for the anemic scoring, let's assess potential (arbitrary lines):
V-A-P = 75G
F-E-S = 60G
G-R-K = 45G
8, 78, 19, 37, 23, others = 30G
Defense = 35G
Total potential = 245, IMO
Add 1 (to make the math easy) = 246/82 = 3.0 gpg
2011-12 through 72 games, BUF is scoring 2.5 gpg
0.5 gpg difference
Is this season simply a confluence of suck, injuries, and circumstances?
(replies to this probably belong in the "summer offseason" thread, not the GBU.)

IMO, sba's best post ever was in the @Was GDT (last Spring?) when Vanek picked up the puck (in OT??) at center ice, skated through 2 Cap forwards, then between 2 Cap defenders (including a recent AHL callup) to score a sick goal. sba's actual post:
"I just came."

brian_griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Havok89

For those missing Campbell, I'd rather have Ehrhoff at $4M with Tyler Ennis than Campbell.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Vanek was definitely floating.

Montag DP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 02:18 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

hey panthers fan checking in. The game was a weird one last night. Momentum swings that happened at unlikely times. But overall i thought the sabres did an excellent job of not giving the panthers an inch of space all night long. Every sabre i thought did an excellent job of working hard along the boards.

I cant say enough good things about tyler ennis. Kid is a beast. Goes to the net hard excellent passing. Him and stafford are playing with a ton of confidence right now.

Good luck the rest of the way. Would be an epic comeback if you guys make it to the postseason.

PanthersHockey1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

So sick of Ennis and whoever plays with him being the only threat out there...

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
The Good -

- As much as I hate the Panthers' broadcast crew, I had their feed most of the game and they were much better than what I have watched of the DVR of Sylvester/Gare.
- Ennis continues to be the straw that stirs this drink.
- Weber's hit and scuffle gave them momentum and resulted in a goal.
- Getting that far into the shootout is a credit to Miller.

The Bad

- Not scoring on various opportunities after getting that far on Miller.
- Such a scrambly, dead-puck type game. It was all about the puck bouncing around between the bluelines most of the night.

The Ugly -

- Squandering a chance at a point this late in the season.
- Squandering so many points in November and December was worse.