HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Negativity-**Only** Thread (A Place to go to vent)

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2012, 10:37 AM
NoNecksCurse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
not to be negative about your negativity, but when you play the minutes they play, its gonna happen...
definitely but its also a regular occurence game in and game out compared to the beginning of the year

Old
03-11-2012, 10:53 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Man I hope if Radulov comes back he doesn't **** up this team.

Old
03-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying it
I agree with you. It reminds me a lot of how Kings fans went back and forth on Alexander Frolov. He was probably the Kings best overall forward for about 3 years (on a team with Kopitar, Brown, etc...), but there was always a perception that he wasn't trying hard enough, could contribute more, etc... Fact was, it was just the style that the guy played. If you could get it in to your head that the guy was going to give you around 60 points, play adequate defense, and give excellent puck control, then you'd have no complaints, but fans wanted and expected more from him (40-45+ goals!?, more visible 'effort'), and were just setting themselves up to be disappointed.

Legwand is similar in many ways. Probably has a lot to do with being a #2 overall pick, playing in a top 6 role that he may/may not be best suited for, and plays a lot of minutes. Reality is that he has stepped up his game enough to have his best point production in 5 seasons, with numbers which mark him closer to a top 3 than a top 6, surprisingly enough. For a defensive-minded forward that is plugged into an offensively focused role, I'm more than pleased with what he's done this year, flaws and all. And it isn't as though we have a better option to anchor that 2nd line. Spaling is Legwand-lite, but with less offensive ability, Wilson is best to keep on the wing for now, and Smith should probably be down in Milwaukee getting playing time.

Old
03-11-2012, 02:29 PM
JR303

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
The Hornqvist goal was a pretty good play by Legwand. The other two, it's all SK and AK. People can prop up Leggy to be a scoring machine on those, but 99 out of 100 NHL players get secondary assits on those goals.

He could have had 8 assits tonight. Won't change my perception that's he's very average in the offensive zone. We have a sample size of hundreds of games.
The argument that he's average is fine, what is misguided here is that anyone would have picked up those assists because the brothers are the ones that made the passes. That's true, but the space only opened up because Legwand went to the slot, and that brought a defender up to defend him leaving a nice little 2 on 1 for the brothers to finish cleanly. Honestly, they looked like set plays to me, but there was nothing accidental about Legwand's intent with his positioning, or his direction with the puck. I can guarantee that he knew the moment that he sent those pucks to SK, that AK was the final recipient.

Being able to see the whole play doesn't make me a Lewand apologist, but being a Legwand detractor makes it impossible for one to see his positives.

Old
03-11-2012, 04:38 PM
cleangene

I remember my first year as Ice Pack season ticket holder and following the Preds closely, almost every fan around me blamed Leggy for everything that went wrong in a game. Unless he produces Lecalvier numbers and leads this team to the Cup, somehow I don't see him given as much credit to equal that blame. Just my .02.

Old
03-12-2012, 01:13 AM
ninetynine*

I miss Brian McGrattan

Old
03-12-2012, 02:31 PM
dubgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Anyone else feel slightly less pumped than usual the day after beating the wings?? It was great while it was happening, but today I think we weree mostly just lucky. I hope klein is back soon and cube has a seat...
I'm with you on that one. We squeaked by an injury depleted and out-manned team. The Red Wings will be a much different and better team in the playoffs.

Old
03-12-2012, 02:46 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubgeek View Post
I'm with you on that one. We squeaked by an injury depleted and out-manned team. The Red Wings will be a much different and better team in the playoffs.
I agree this was as much a GR Griffins lineup. Won't see that lineup or effort level in the post-season.
But I did see significant improvement in the compete level and puck possession for the Preds in that game. Not sure it can all be written off, especially if we see more of that in the coming days.
IMHO this team needs to consistently win the games it should (teams below them in standings) and steal a few down the stretch to enter the post-season with swagger.

Old
03-12-2012, 04:24 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubgeek View Post
I understand that thinking, but what I saw compared to the 3- final was two different things. I thought we controlled the game like we should have. Pekka really wasn't tested at all. Most shots were from outside the dots. I know lidstrom and datsyuk changes that dynamic. But to be honest, I don't care what their little excuse was.

as for negativity, I hate the arrogant wings fans on the main boards.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 03-12-2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: agreed, but a bit much
Old
03-12-2012, 11:47 PM
hockey diva

Are we capable of playing a full 60 minutes! Seriously, we have the yotes down by 2 goals and let them come back! Stupid blind passes and turnovers by the buckets! We are going to be one and done again.

Old
03-13-2012, 12:18 AM
cleangene

Remember the days when defense was a Predators STRENGTH????

Old
03-13-2012, 12:20 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Preds need to find a killer instinct before the regular season ends. D is really thin without Klein and Josi in there, but they've gotta stablize and as a whole the team has got to be better with their decisions with and without the puck as the clock winds down. No need to force plays or go for stretch passes defending a lead late..

Old
03-13-2012, 12:54 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

D is not as good without Klein and Josi, big surprise right? But our offense is making up for it

Old
03-13-2012, 01:06 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I'm hoping that we have enough playoff experience on our roster that we will elevate our game when the time comes.

But yeah a lack of killer instinct is a good way to describe us right now.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:48 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
OT negativity

I play too much Call of Duty and I can't seem to ever get a good kill streak going.

Old
03-14-2012, 12:36 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
Remember the days when defense was a Predators STRENGTH????
D was the strength and O was the weakness. Boy, that has flipped now, hasn't it?

The more you open up your offense the more your players will get caught out of position (especially when you turn the puck over like this team likes to do). The trick is to find a balance. Good teams have a great offense or a great defense, and they play to whichever is the strength. Great teams find a way to have both.

Old
03-14-2012, 01:15 PM
deanwormer

All year we've lived with growing pains of our young Dmen; starting year with Eck and Laakso and Blum, then Josi and Ellis. and for all the griping about KK, we're seeing where he adds a good bit of value. The Dmen are settling in and making fewer mistakes - especially with Gill. But our Fs - ugh! Some of the same "youth" things - missing assignments and such. But worse - they as a group are terrible at clearing the zone.

Find a fix for that over the last 15 games and our D might not be quite as strong as we're all used to, but it'll be more than good enough with the maturing and productivity of our O.

Old
03-14-2012, 03:54 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

The waiting sucks!!!!!!!

Old
03-17-2012, 10:37 PM
hockey diva

What a terrible road trip this is turning out to be. Give up a 2 goal lead in phx and have to win in a shootout, can't get a lick of offense going in SJ and lose in a SO. Getting the crap beat out of us by LA and it's just the beginning the second. Why do we get our hopes up for this team? They only disappoint us. Wilson is being misused like several players before him (Hartnell, Peverly anyone?) I have wanted trotz gone for 2 seasons and I still think that.

Old
03-17-2012, 10:57 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
What a terrible road trip this is turning out to be. Give up a 2 goal lead in phx and have to win in a shootout, can't get a lick of offense going in SJ and lose in a SO. Getting the crap beat out of us by LA and it's just the beginning the second. Why do we get our hopes up for this team? They only disappoint us. Wilson is being misused like several players before him (Hartnell, Peverly anyone?) I have wanted trotz gone for 2 seasons and I still think that.
Trotz is the reason this team is where it is.

We have no 1st line players (Erat if you want stretch it). He turned S Kosisyten into a pretty good 2nd line player (who has the play on the 1st line here). Both Legwand and Fisher are more good 3rd line centers than scoringline centers. We have rookies on defense almost every year having to eat up significant minutes. We get someone else scrubs (O'Brien, Zanon, , etc) and Trotz turns them into serviceable guys. There was some excitement in getting AK, Gill, and Guastaud, but they were non-integral parts of bad teams. There's some upside to their acquisition, but it's far from a given that their abilities make us a 'contender'.

Hartnell's scoring in Philly his first 4 years was similar to what he was producing in Nashville, and he had better line-mates. This has been a career year for him. Girioux and Jagr say hi though.

Old
03-18-2012, 01:44 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I guarantee none of you had as bad of a night as I did. Ask Johnius

(though it was self-inflicted for the most part)

Old
03-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Alright so this isn't exactly the same situation BUT

This weekend when I was covering Miami at the CCHA Championship, Miami lost 6-2 to Western Michigan in what I would call an EPIC collapse by the team leaders, particularly the seniors. Twice in one period senior blue liners failed to stop the puck on the offensive zone blue line and WMU had two easy goals on a break away (shorthanded) and a 3-1. Tommassoni (also a senior) was -3 and had 6 minutes in the box. Our Captain, Alden, didn't have a single shot, blocked shot, or any stat on the night and might as well have been in Mexico sipping on margaritas.

Our head coach, Rico, called out the seniors in the locker room, asking them if they had already had one foot out the ****ing door and had given up on their team.

Now I hate to make comparisons, but that is the way I have felt about Suter since the All-Star game. Weber to a lesser extent. Just my observation.

Last edited by Roman Yoshi: 03-18-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old
03-18-2012, 10:59 AM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Alright so this isn't exactly the same situation BUT

This weekend when I was covering Miami at the CCHA Championship, Miami lost 6-2 to Western Michigan in what I would call an EPIC collapse by the team leaders, particularly the seniors. Twice in one period senior blue liners failed to stop the puck on the offensive zone blue line and WMU had two easy goals on a break away (shorthanded) and a 3-1. Tommassoni (also a senior) was -3 and had 6 minutes in the box. Our Captain, Alden, didn't have a single shot, blocked shot, or any stat on the night and might as well have been in Mexico sipping on margaritas.

Our head coach, Rico, called out the seniors in the locker room, asking them if they had already had one foot out the ****ing door and had given up on their team.

Now I hate to make comparisons, but that is they why I have felt about Suter since the All-Star game. Weber to a lesser extent. Just my observation.
And a mighty good observation, if you ask me.

Old
03-18-2012, 11:08 AM
hockey diva

We can not seem to get "over the hump" passing Detroit in the standings, beating Detroit etc, getting past the first round (one exception was last season). The one consistent has been Trotz. We are easily pushed around, no one stands up for each other except in rare instances. Once again the consistent presence of Trotz. He is a good/great coach but the failure to take the franchise from good to great has got to be considered.

Additionally, why do we not have any top line forwards? Oh right, because Poile doesn't draft them. If they are drafted, Trotz turns them into 2 way forwards who forget how to score. Wilson could be a force for us but Trotz continually punishes him for "mistakes" when his vets are making the same damn mistakes!

Maybe it's not a personnel issue but a coaching/management issue. It's time for this franchise to go from being the little team that can to the team that does.

Old
03-18-2012, 11:59 AM
token grinder

we must have lost in regulation last night....

Closed Thread