HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Soo Greyhounds 2011-12 Season Thread

Old
03-18-2012, 10:10 AM
saska sault

vCash: 500
Coaching is a big problem... i agree Dubas did put pieces there for a quality team... not a contender but a 5-8th place team... a playoff team.... he over paid to get some of those players, but at the end of the day the talent was their to at least make a team.... Coaching has got nothing out of players, systems never improved as the year went along.... it was the toughest year to watch ever as a season ticket holder... at least we get to watch another young, high draft pick... Nurse was a nice prize last year for a bad year, but I still am not convinced he is a franchise player he was tagged to be... a solid, stay at home, bruising defensemen... just dont know if he is exactly what the franchise needed... we better be taking a forward this year, that is for sure

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 10:33 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post
Coaching is a big problem... i agree Dubas did put pieces there for a quality team... not a contender but a 5-8th place team... a playoff team.... he over paid to get some of those players, but at the end of the day the talent was their to at least make a team.... Coaching has got nothing out of players, systems never improved as the year went along.... it was the toughest year to watch ever as a season ticket holder... at least we get to watch another young, high draft pick... Nurse was a nice prize last year for a bad year, but I still am not convinced he is a franchise player he was tagged to be... a solid, stay at home, bruising defensemen... just dont know if he is exactly what the franchise needed... we better be taking a forward this year, that is for sure
Hounds should take a forward
they might get Ho-Sang,Fabbri.who has SSM connections or McCann
Anybody else would be foolish,all 3 of the above are great players
As for Nurse I like him alot SSm should build their defence around him

hockeylegend11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:08 PM
dogsandwings

Well 1 point ..just as i figured a few months ago...If we don't take some forwards with our early picks i will personally make a visit to Mr Dubas and get some answers.
Interesting comments by Boughner re the Greyhounds celebrations LOL guess he doesn't want the kids to have any fun.
Who's gonna win now...not sure how healthy Sarnia is but my $$ will be on Plymouth..could be a few 4 game series also..Would be nice to see Sarnia after all the hard luck they've had this year make some noise.
Anyways i am grateful as Hell this season is over...it never felt right after the London game in November..
Not surprised Dubas got a vote of confidence from Lukenda ..the exact same words he used a few years ago...Hey maybe he needed a learning curve..Having been in business some of the best lessons we learn are the most painful.
Good crowd last night and our Captain went out in style..good luck to him and the other overagers..Dubchak for those who didn't know had a nice scrap with 20 seconds left in the game..
Go Wings Go
One thing i was not wrong about was the season Cousins had...didn't surprise me one bit..potential leading scorer next year..he got better as the year wore on...

dogsandwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 06:55 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsandwings View Post
Interesting comments by Boughner re the Greyhounds celebrations LOL guess he doesn't want the kids to have any fun.
I think Boughner is just surprised that a team who flopped in colossal fashion would be yukking it up in a meaningless game, and rubbing it in Windsor's face when they score on a 16yo rookie. It's sort of like the Washington Generals celebrating a free throw, I'd be pretty embarassed if my team missed the playoffs and acted like that. You celebrate when there's reason to celebrate, and an early tee off time is hardly the situation for that.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:40 AM
dogsandwings

It is still very funny and Boughner maybe more then mildly ticked if the Spits get hammered by London.He really doesn't like anyone celebrating unless it is a Spitfire...It obviously meant something to the players on the ice..go throw that theory out to the Edmonton Oilers...or the other also rans in the NHL..players do have pride it is not a commodity only inherent to Windsor hockey.
There maybe some Spits fans (with all of the plans they have) that will envy the draft pick we have in 3 weeks..
On the otherside..Boughner is very intense..and i am surprised he didn't try to punch out a teenager like you rother former Greyhound coachlove them both by the way

Old
03-20-2012, 02:06 AM
jughead42

Quote:
It is still very funny and Boughner maybe more then mildly ticked if the Spits get hammered by London.He really doesn't like anyone celebrating unless it is a Spitfire...It obviously meant something to the players on the ice..go throw that theory out to the Edmonton Oilers...or the other also rans in the NHL..players do have pride it is not a commodity only inherent to Windsor hockey.
There maybe some Spits fans (with all of the plans they have) that will envy the draft pick we have in 3 weeks..
On the otherside..Boughner is very intense..and i am surprised he didn't try to punch out a teenager like you rother former Greyhound coachlove them both by the way
If that team had any pride at all they are in the playoffs.

Old
03-20-2012, 08:56 AM
PacoSanchez15

Boughner is a hypocrite who criticizes other teams for doing the same thing he and his players do and have done over the years.

It wasn't about scoring on a 16 year old rookie, the Hounds players that were celebrating and pointing into the stands were the Hounds who had family and friends in town who don't get to see them play on a regular basis.

Other than that I didn't see too much over the top celebrating and there was plenty of chirping going on from both sides. Rychel made a point to skate over and past the Hounds bench more than a few times to run his mouth, most likely to say something to Cousins who was doing the same thing.

PacoSanchez15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:43 AM
dogsandwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
If that team had any pride at all they are in the playoffs.
Guess that means Taylor Hall and the Oilers are in the same boat."No Pride" by your standards anyways..you sound a bit like Boughner..(Your team made it virtue of 1 shot...the goal in Windsor..some people like to kick people when they are down..some like to lift them uP0

Last edited by dogsandwings: 03-20-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old
03-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Guess that means Taylor Hall and the Oilers are in the same boat."No Pride" by your standards anyways..you sound a bit like Boughner..(Your team made it virtue of 1 shot...the goal in Windsor..some people like to kick people when they are down..some like to lift them uP0
Edmonton is also in a league where half the teams don't make the playoffs...a little less than half, 14... but you get my point.

Only 4 teams miss the playoffs every year in the OHL. For a franchise to miss 3 out of the last 4 years should tell you something.

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:08 AM
jughead42

Quote:
Was Edmonton a supposed "contender" prior to the season, so much so that they mortgaged the future to bring in a one year player to help get them over the top? Didn't think so. Don't pretend that the Sault didn't have the talent to make the playoffs, they underachieved in perhaps the most stunning fashion anyone could have possibly imagined. You can say it was Dubas overestimating the talent, or Stapleton not doing his job as a coach, but at some point along the line you gotta figure the players take a bit of the blame. You missed the playoffs by what, one point? Teams with pride find a way to get that point, that's my point. It's pretty lame to be celebrating your failure in front of your family, and in front of your fans. If the Spitfires ever miss the playoffs, you can bet your ass they won't be yukking it up as time expires on their season. See how Kirby Rychel reacted after his hat trick goal for an example of how to celebrate in a meaningless game.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Was Edmonton a supposed "contender" prior to the season, so much so that they mortgaged the future to bring in a one year player to help get them over the top? Didn't think so. Don't pretend that the Sault didn't have the talent to make the playoffs, they underachieved in perhaps the most stunning fashion anyone could have possibly imagined. You can say it was Dubas overestimating the talent, or Stapleton not doing his job as a coach, but at some point along the line you gotta figure the players take a bit of the blame. You missed the playoffs by what, one point? Teams with pride find a way to get that point, that's my point. It's pretty lame to be celebrating your failure in front of your family, and in front of your fans. If the Spitfires ever miss the playoffs, you can bet your ass they won't be yukking it up as time expires on their season. See how Kirby Rychel reacted after his hat trick goal for an example of how to celebrate in a meaningless game.
I've never seen a player look so annoyed after he scored a goal (especially not a hat trick goal). It was a nice move he put on Campbell too so it's not like it was a lame goal.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:52 PM
PacoSanchez15

Show me one person outside Dogsandwings that said the Hounds were supposed "contenders" this season. Yes we expected them to make the playoffs but most realized 5th was probably a stretch. And yes they did underachieve and most of the blame should fall on the shoulders of the players mostly guys like the OA's who combined to go -58. Curcuruto who put up less points than when he was a rookie. Broll and his 8 goals. Even Campell to some degree, he definitely didn't come in and win them enough games to justify the price paid.

Rychel was annoyed because he nearly blew that play. He lost control of the puck on the initial move but managed to regain it at the last minute to score. He still had something to say to the Hounds bench afterwards as he skated by.

I can assure you no one associated with the organization is happy with the way the season went but god forbid some teenagers enjoyed themselves on home ice in front of friends and family in a meaningless game against probably their biggest rival. I would have much rather watched them pout and go through the emotions.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:00 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoSanchez15 View Post
Show me one person outside Dogsandwings that said the Hounds were supposed "contenders" this season. Yes we expected them to make the playoffs but most realized 5th was probably a stretch. And yes they did underachieve and most of the blame should fall on the shoulders of the players mostly guys like the OA's who combined to go -58. Curcuruto who put up less points than when he was a rookie. Broll and his 8 goals. Even Campell to some degree, he definitely didn't come in and win them enough games to justify the price paid.

Rychel was annoyed because he nearly blew that play. He lost control of the puck on the initial move but managed to regain it at the last minute to score. He still had something to say to the Hounds bench afterwards as he skated by.

I can assure you no one associated with the organization is happy with the way the season went but god forbid some teenagers enjoyed themselves on home ice in front of friends and family in a meaningless game against probably their biggest rival. I would have much rather watched them pout and go through the emotions.
Hey if u want to whoop it up and chirp against a team with 5 players out and starting a 16 year old goalie for the 1st time,in a meaningless game go ahead,it and victory over Kitchener who was missing 7 guys was probably the hightlites of your miserable season
We all know the Sault could not beat full rostered teams with something to play for enough times to make the post season
Hope the guys on the club enjoy their early start to the golf season

Old
03-20-2012, 01:14 PM
PacoSanchez15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Hey if u want to whoop it up and chirp against a team with 5 players out and starting a 16 year old goalie for the 1st time,in a meaningless game go ahead,it and victory over Kitchener who was missing 7 guys was probably the hightlites of your miserable season
We all know the Sault could not beat full rostered teams with something to play for enough times to make the post season
Hope the guys on the club enjoy their early start to the golf season
Yeah I'm sure the Spits have never done any of that in Boughner's time behind the bench. There was plenty of chirping going on from both sides of the ice so let's not pretend either side is innocent. Had the circumstances been the opposite I'm sure Windsor would have been the gracious host and not done any of the celebrating .

I'm sure they won't be enjoy being on the golf course early but don't worry the Spits tee times won't be too far behind.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Windsor is your biggest rival? Really?

Quote:
I'm sure they won't be enjoy being on the golf course early but don't worry the Spits tee times won't be too far behind.
At least two weeks later, and two home play-off dates I'm sure your ownership would have appreciated.

Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:28 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Yeah I'm sure the Spits have never done any of that in Boughner's time behind the bench. There was plenty of chirping going on from both sides of the ice so let's not pretend either side is innocent. Had the circumstances been the opposite I'm sure Windsor would have been the gracious host and not done any of the celebrating .

People wrote the Spits off last year before playing Erie and saginaw and we know how that went
A final 4 berth after winning 2 consecutive mem cups
I admit this year is more challenging, and without Windsor"s best offensive weapon Khocklachev it might be really hard to win,however the teams did play to a 3-3 record so anything possible
Can the OHL"s 2nd youngest team take out the No 1 seed unlikely but never count a Windsor team out
The fact that a team with 9 NHL picks like the Hounds cant squeeze into the playoffs is mind boggling to say the least,and the character on that club must be questioned,which I suppose is part of the outrage at the Hounds overcelebrating meaningless wins
BTW,Windsor will enjoy taking one of your best overagers as part of the Campbell deal,hopefully he has character

Old
03-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Libbs

Let it go boys... Couldn't have been an easy season for the fan base and outside of dogsandwings, they don't really need to have their futility hammered to them.

*Hops off my soap box

Old
03-20-2012, 02:54 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Let it go boys... Couldn't have been an easy season for the fan base and outside of dogsandwings, they don't really need to have their futility hammered to them.

*Hops off my soap box
good pt

Better to worry about our own then the sad state of others

Old
03-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Koss

Send a message via MSN to Koss
I love how short-term the memories of Spitfire fans are.

The bottom line is that no one other than the players know what was said between the benches. From my point of view at the Essar I didn't see any showboating other than the celebration after scoring and pointing to family members in the stands.

These last two games were meaningless for the standings, but for any team that has any pride, all games should have some meaning. Players needed to give something to the disparaged fans, and they did. They kids are also fighting for spots on the team next year. Winning is always better than losing.

It was a ridiculous finish to the game anyway being a 10-9 score. And the irony is pointing out someone else's lack of class is pretty classless as well. I just think Boughner knows how to get under the Hounds and their fans skin and doesn't really care about all the other stuff he said.

Good Luck in the Playoffs Windsor. I hate the Knights more than you guys.

Koss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:43 PM
PacoSanchez15

Quote:
BTW,Windsor will enjoy taking one of your best overagers as part of the Campbell deal,hopefully he has character
I hope you guys do take Findlay. He's more frustrating than enjoyable to watch, that is unless you like watching a guy that won't hit, lose more puck battles than he wins, forces passes when he should shoot and has an average shot at best. He's basically a less offensive Jason Spezza with more turnovers.

I'd much rather keep a trio of Miller, Alderson and either Quesnele or trade for another OA. Findlay can put up points but just look at his game log and you'll see he is very streaky and disappears for long stretches.

I'd also like to see the Hounds take Ho-Sang over Fabbri, he's got the offense that this team will need next year.

Old
03-20-2012, 03:52 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I hope you guys do take Findlay. He's more frustrating than enjoyable to watch, that is unless you like watching a guy that won't hit, lose more puck battles than he wins, forces passes when he should shoot and has an average shot at best. He's basically a less offensive Jason Spezza with more turnovers.

I'd much rather keep a trio of Miller, Alderson and either Quesnele or trade for another OA. Findlay can put up points but just look at his game log and you'll see he is very streaky and disappears for long stretches.

I'd also like to see the Hounds take Ho-Sang over Fabbri, he's got the offense that this team will need next year.
Dubas has a chance to hit a homerun here,the benefits of a non playoff spot,not meant to be a smart aleck here
I dont think he can go wrong here Fabbri or HoSang,Fabbri is gritty and skilled,while HoSang has off the chart talent
You draft Hosang u get him for 2 with Fabbri u might get 3
I understand he has Sault connections,whereas HoSang might not be thrilled going to SSM speculating on this one,though he should happy SSM is a great hockey town
Should be interesting
The ironic thing is that the Spits choose next after the hounds, and they may not take either fabbri or Hosang,would not be surprised if Windsor takes Mccann

Old
03-20-2012, 06:22 PM
dogsandwings

Hey Dogsand wings is having a great time..nice to win ..but you can't everyday...Think reading the comments says more about the personalities.
We are not the New York Yankees..Some Windsor fans and some from other cities revel in other peoples misery..to me misery is a big sliver under a fingernail (I had one today) Pleasure is being able to pull it out without a trip to the hospital.
I did the same with the Greyhound season ..all we can do is look forward to next season and i actually don't hate Windsor or the team.(They're not good enough to incite such an emotion)..in fact i am almost idifferent to the playoffs,,be nice to see Sarnia do well..
I also can't bring any emotion to people i have never met..
So have a good summer ...i live in the wilderness and the river has already melted..It is hard to miss hockey when you live in the best part of Canada..and ou look outa your bedrroom window and see a moose..bear..bobcat..I told you guys before ..i don't have bad days..
P.S apparently George Shunock is the problem Oh by the way did someone think i owed them an apology for over estimating the team???

Old
03-20-2012, 09:12 PM
dogsandwings

[QUOTE=Libbs;46394597]Edmonton is also in a league where half the teams don't make the playoffs...a little less than half, 14... but you get my point.

Only 4 teams miss the playoffs every year in the OHL. For a franchise to miss 3 out of the last 4 years should tell you something.[/QUOT
Come on enlighten us...tell us something we don't know

Old
03-20-2012, 09:53 PM
jughead42

Somebody's slacking, where's the offseason thread for the hounds? Probably best to leave this season behind and focus on the future rather than leaving the carcass out for the vultures to feed on.

I understand why Boughner said what he did, and it shone a pretty bright light on what the issue could be with the Hounds team this year. A good organization tries to develop professional attitudes because it leads to success on the ice, and success for the players in their lives. If the Hounds had accomplished anything, I'm sure nobody would have a problem with a bit of celebration or even trash talk. To the victor goes the spoils, as it should be. However the Sault has absolutely no reason to celebrate anything having to do with Windsor this year. You've got a meaningless regular season win against us, while we have all your prospects, picks and your playoff spot. We are trending up over the next few years, the hounds not so much. There's nothing to celebrate about that, nothing at all.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:37 PM
starismade

Quote:
Somebody's slacking, where's the offseason thread for the hounds? Probably best to leave this season behind and focus on the future rather than leaving the carcass out for the vultures to feed on.

I understand why Boughner said what he did, and it shone a pretty bright light on what the issue could be with the Hounds team this year. A good organization tries to develop professional attitudes because it leads to success on the ice, and success for the players in their lives. If the Hounds had accomplished anything, I'm sure nobody would have a problem with a bit of celebration or even trash talk. To the victor goes the spoils, as it should be. However the Sault has absolutely no reason to celebrate anything having to do with Windsor this year. You've got a meaningless regular season win against us, while we have all your prospects, picks and your playoff spot. We are trending up over the next few years, the hounds not so much. There's nothing to celebrate about that, nothing at all.
Wow i sense a bit of hatred..(What are you scared of??) We're out of the playoffs.
Did someone beat you up or trash talk you on a trip to the Soo??
I tend to believe you may take teenagers playing a game ..just a bit to serious..
P.S if the Spits win a game in the playoffs i will be surprised..everybody here seems to have dealt with the season the Hounds had are moving on...
If you really have a bone to pick with the team send Dubas and George Shunock a letter..
By the way my father is tougher then yours.

starismade is offline   Reply With Quote