HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Official Ex-Habs Thread Part IV (All Former Habs Players Discussed Here!)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2012, 05:02 PM
  #376
TheBuriedHab
Registered User
 
TheBuriedHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,181
vCash: 500
I'm so happy we chose to keep Price. I'm so at peace with it that I don't even check Halaks stats to see how hes doing because I know we picked the right guy. Ill cheer for St louis though, as I want to see him do well.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:21 PM
  #377
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
Saying the main reason for his success is because of Hitchcock is crazy,like if the guy didn't prove anything in the past.

Hitchcock is helping but like I said he would still have some good stats afterall Davis Payne was also a defensive oriented coach.



The guy was burning the league the first 2 months last year.The Blues was a dominant team during that period.Then half the team got injured.Halak also played injured during the month of January before being put in IR for a hand injury,during that time the team had lost all it's momentum.When he came back he finished the year strong just like he started.If Halak wasn't injured and had either Oshie or Perron still playing,the Blues would have probably made the post-season.

I admit he wasn't at his peak during the first 6 games of the season but Halak was already starting to play some solid hockey when Davis Payne was still around.People think that it's Hitchcock that saved his season,it's BS...he was already starting to show some signs before the firing.

When Halak was on fire during the 09-10 season,I don't think I remember people screaming Ahhh it's because of Jacques Martin's system!! New Jersey played the trap for years but nobody ever said that Martin Brodeur wouldn't be that good whitout it.

Halak is burning the league right now,the system is helping him but even whitout it,he would be having a great year.
Why so bitter bro? No one is bashing Halak's here. I think everyone agrees that he is a really good goalie. We are just saying that he is even better with the system implented by Hitchcock and the number shows it. His GAA and SV% from last year and the first seven games of the season compared to his numbers with Hitchcock are quite telling. Its like night and day.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 07:50 PM
  #378
the
Registered User
 
the's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
are you under a rock. There are a lot of people who believe Brodeur benefited substantially under that system.

The thing that will always be a detriment to what Halak brings is that he hasnt shown capable of playing 60-70 games a year. Its a fact. He will get a lot more recognition if he shows he is a number one instead of splitting the duties. Its harder to maintain the level of 30 great games a year to someone who needs to be great for 60+ games a year.

Also, Halak has been great but he has also put up the numbers versus worse teams than even his teammate.

Based on todays standings, you would have Elliot playing 21 games against playoff teams in just 33 games while you have Halak playing only 17 games against playoff teams in 41 games.

Like I said Halak has played very well this year, but it nice to see him to actually play a full season where he is the main man facing all the playoff calibre teams
I agree,I wish Jaroslav could play more games.If it wasn't for his hand injury he would have probably play 70 games and have a decent season.I guess what fans want to see is him playing a good amount of games but also have great stats.The thing is he already proved in the past he can play loads of games and have good stats.

During the 09-10 season he played 45 fans for the Habs,he then played 7 games during the Vancouver Olympics where they did the unthinkable by defeating Russia and finished his banner year by playing 18 games in the playoffs.

Total 70 games .922 SV% 2.44 GAA 4033 MIN

There's no doubt in my mind Jaroslav can be a ELITE goalie in this league.

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:03 PM
  #379
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
I agree,I wish Jaroslav could play more games.If it wasn't for his hand injury he would have probably play 70 games and have a decent season.I guess what fans want to see is him playing a good amount of games but also have great stats.The thing is he already proved in the past he can play loads of games and have good stats.

During the 09-10 season he played 45 fans for the Habs,he then played 7 games during the Vancouver Olympics where they did the unthinkable by defeating Russia and finished his banner year by playing 18 games in the playoffs.

Total 70 games .922 SV% 2.44 GAA 4033 MIN

There's no doubt in my mind Jaroslav can be a ELITE goalie in this league.
but those numbers arent elite now, see how that works. They are good but not elite. And again, it doesnt equal what a number one who plays in the playoffs plays. Its there regular season and if you use Olympics argument, it works same for other goalies and now they even play more.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:06 PM
  #380
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
I agree,I wish Jaroslav could play more games.If it wasn't for his hand injury he would have probably play 70 games and have a decent season.I guess what fans want to see is him playing a good amount of games but also have great stats.The thing is he already proved in the past he can play loads of games and have good stats.

During the 09-10 season he played 45 fans for the Habs,he then played 7 games during the Vancouver Olympics where they did the unthinkable by defeating Russia and finished his banner year by playing 18 games in the playoffs.

Total 70 games .922 SV% 2.44 GAA 4033 MIN

There's no doubt in my mind Jaroslav can be a ELITE goalie in this league.
That's entirely different for so many reasons.
First off, traveling. During the Olympics, there's no 3-4h flights to go play a game.
Second, the POs should not be counted. Otherwise, the goalies Halak is being compared too have played more games as well. If you add him POs games, you should ask the other guys PO games as well, which mean even more games.

Bottom line is, a #1 goaltending in the NHL usually plays 65-70games. You can stretch it for 60. After that, there's the POs.
So, if you want to be fair, Halak's total in 09-10 should have been around 85-90, not 70. Also, didn't people say Halak started to fatigue when we reached the Flyers, around the 65game mark?

So, stick to the regular season. Personally, I have no idea if he can handle it. I hope so for him because he's a class act, wish him nothing but the best. But it's false to think he has proven it.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:53 PM
  #381
Fuelled by Passion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 562
vCash: 500
How could anyone claim that Price is better goalie than Halak is beyond me. Maybe he will be and maybe he won't. Let's face some facts.
Price has lost the head to head to Halak eventho organization favored him on Slovak big time.
Halak took habs to conference finals
Halak's overall numbers are better as well as his contract looks better to me. I don't believe Price will sign for money offered to Halak.
Situation with Elliot is very simple to me. No self respected talented goalie will sign to be "no mater how you produce you'll be back-up to Price". Plain and simple

Fuelled by Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 08:57 AM
  #382
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,107
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Seriously, though. Price is incredible.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 09:26 AM
  #383
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelled by Passion View Post
How could anyone claim that Price is better goalie than Halak is beyond me. Maybe he will be and maybe he won't. Let's face some facts.
Price has lost the head to head to Halak eventho organization favored him on Slovak big time.
Halak took habs to conference finals
Halak's overall numbers are better as well as his contract looks better to me. I don't believe Price will sign for money offered to Halak.
Situation with Elliot is very simple to me. No self respected talented goalie will sign to be "no mater how you produce you'll be back-up to Price". Plain and simple
Context is everything. There was none of this talk last year when Price had clearly better numbers. Halak is a good goalie, and I really liked him and what he did in the playoffs for the Habs was special. However, there are certain areas of his game that I can completely understand why the Habs picked Price. I think it was the right choice.

Price CAN play 70 games a year. He is a workhorse. Halak can't. He tends to burn out after 4-5 games in a row. He did that in Montreal and he has done it in St. Louis. Price is also bigger and can handle players crashing the net. Did you forget the many times Halak would get pushed into the net with the puck under him?

Both good goalies, but I can't put Halak above Price when he can't beat out a guy like Elliott (who's having a career year for some reason...wonder why?). Halak at this point is a 1A goalie. He's not a #1 goalie who can play 65+ games. Until he can show me that, he's not better than Price.

Price has some mental lapses but he's a DAMN good goalie....it's odd though cuz I feel like Hab fans tend to under-appreciate him.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 10:11 AM
  #384
Fuelled by Passion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Price CAN play 70 games a year. He is a workhorse. Halak can't. He tends to burn out after 4-5 games in a row. He did that in Montreal and he has done it in St. Louis. Price is also bigger and can handle players crashing the net. Did you forget the many times Halak would get pushed into the net with the puck under him?
I really believe not letting goalie pushed with a puck to the net is D's job. Price didn't prove yet he can carry an average team to conference finals, Halak did. What if Price will get injured long-term and someone will have to cover for this 70 games?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I can't put Halak above Price when he can't beat out a guy like Elliott
But Halak could beat a guy like Price. Does it say anything about "a guy like Elliot" or maybe a guy like Price?

Fuelled by Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 10:58 AM
  #385
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,619
vCash: 500
Where was everyone defending Halak last year when he was average to below average most of the year? Or where were they when he was absolutely putrid before Hitchcock came in this year? Funny.

Much like Price this year(though Price's stats aren't even bad at all), Halak's stats were bad when the team in front of him was bad last year in St.Louis and for the first 15 games of this year.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 10:58 AM
  #386
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelled by Passion View Post
I really believe not letting goalie pushed with a puck to the net is D's job. Price didn't prove yet he can carry an average team to conference finals, Halak did. What if Price will get injured long-term and someone will have to cover for this 70 games?
Actually, doing it once doesn't mean you've proven anything. Gionta scored 48goals once, does that mean he's proven he can do it again?
Everybody can have one crazy good season, but you'll only be given the credit of proof once you do it again.
What if Miller gets injured? What if Lundqvist gets injured? I don't see what that has to do with Price.
We need to improve our goalie depth, yes, which is why we should draft a keeper with good potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelled by Passion View Post
But Halak could beat a guy like Price. Does it say anything about "a guy like Elliot" or maybe a guy like Price?
Price could also beat Halak. Price will have average-bad years, and so will Halak, so will every keeper in the NHL. Are we going to go back and forth every time one has the upper hand in a season over the other? It's retarded. Halak is in St-Louis, Price is in Mtl. Let it go already.


Clearly you're a fan of Halak, and you know what, how can anybody not be? Guy was a class act that lead us deeper than we've been since 93. Management still made the right call however.
It'll be interesting to see how Halak performs this year in the POs going in as the #1 seed. But even if the guy wins the cup and the Conn Smythe, he'll still be in St-Louis, and we still have a great keeper in Mtl.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:40 AM
  #387
Fuelled by Passion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Actually, doing it once doesn't mean
What if Miller gets injured? What if Lundqvist gets injured? I don't see what that has to do with Price.
Did NYR or Buffalo organizations show to the league that if king Henrik or Miller will not produce and lose their place as a starting goalie they will trade a what used to be back-up goalie in order to make them #1 goalie again? My point is if they will get injured they have back-up goalies who will try to step in and maybe prove the organization they should be #1 goalie. It's all about opportunities, everyone wants to grow. If Price will get injured who will be willing to step in? What the point? Holy cow will be a #1 goalie no mater what
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Price could also beat Halak.
He could, but he didn't. Also we are talking about who is better goalie right now. So we are looking on what both goalies have achieved so far. Yes Halak did good PO run only once, Price haven't done it at all.

P.S I'm not a Halak or Price fan. I'm a fan of pure producing factor, disregarding last-names, passports and PR campaigns.

Fuelled by Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 02:32 PM
  #388
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelled by Passion View Post
Did NYR or Buffalo organizations show to the league that if king Henrik or Miller will not produce and lose their place as a starting goalie they will trade a what used to be back-up goalie in order to make them #1 goalie again? My point is if they will get injured they have back-up goalies who will try to step in and maybe prove the organization they should be #1 goalie. It's all about opportunities, everyone wants to grow. If Price will get injured who will be willing to step in? What the point? Holy cow will be a #1 goalie no mater what
Euh, no, they don't in NYR, their back up is Biron. And again, this has nothing to do with Price or Halak.
This has to do with depth, and everybody here agrees we need to draft a good goalie.
And are you actually saying Price was a back up goalie? We had two great goalies. One with a much higher potential than the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelled by Passion View Post
He could, but he didn't. Also we are talking about who is better goalie right now. So we are looking on what both goalies have achieved so far. Yes Halak did good PO run only once, Price haven't done it at all.

P.S I'm not a Halak or Price fan. I'm a fan of pure producing factor, disregarding last-names, passports and PR campaigns.
Hummm, no, I'm not looking at that. What Halak did was amazing, but he also got tired after two rounds and nobody should ever expect such a run from a goalie.
So Price didn't lead us to an ECF, so what? Does that mean Halak didn't fatigue? No.
Does that mean Halak can play 65-70 regular season games + perform well in the POs? No.

The only thing you're basing you opinion on is that run. That's it that's all.

Two are great goalies, one has a bigger upside, seriously, the decision was quite easy.

If you're really not a fan of either goalie, it'd be quite simple to understand this. You make it sound as if we traded a superstar keeper in order to give the spot to a back up goalie.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 02:43 PM
  #389
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
What's that? Agnostic high on Halak?

Damn, what else is new?
Don't hate me because I'm smart.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 02:47 PM
  #390
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Don't hate me because I'm smart.
Whatever helps you sleep at night buddy.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 10:14 AM
  #391
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,307
vCash: 243
I was never a Grabo fan when he was here but the kid really has grown. We need players with his heart. Taking on Chris Neil ffs.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 10:40 AM
  #392
GordonGraham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I was never a Grabo fan when he was here but the kid really has grown. We need players with his heart. Taking on Chris Neil ffs.
Right on you will never see the tomas the gangsta try somethign like this

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 10:50 AM
  #393
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Right on you will never see the tomas the gangsta try somethign like this
Why the **** would anyone want their star two-way center (yes, he's up there in terms of 2-way forwards) to fight Chris Neil? That's stupid, what if he ends up with a broken nose or a broken wrist/hand? People would question his sanity.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 10:56 AM
  #394
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Why the **** would anyone want their star two-way center (yes, he's up there in terms of 2-way forwards) to fight Chris Neil? That's stupid, what if he ends up with a broken nose or a broken wrist/hand? People would question his sanity.
You may not want to see it, but when you have 3 wins in close to 20 games, sometimes someone has to show people they have leave everything they have on the ice.

The Leafs won the game, so as stupid as that is in theory, if it gets your whole team to take over, any team guy would take that.

Em Ancien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:04 AM
  #395
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
You may not want to see it, but when you have 3 wins in close to 20 games, sometimes someone has to show people they have leave everything they have on the ice.

The Leafs won the game, so as stupid as that is in theory, if it gets your whole team to take over, any team guy would take that.
Obviously in their situation it's less of an issue, even if he misses the rest of the season, no one would care. But that doesn't justify taking a shot at Plekanec for not fighting. Our team is a better team with Pleks, in any game.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:05 AM
  #396
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,011
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Why the **** would anyone want their star two-way center (yes, he's up there in terms of 2-way forwards) to fight Chris Neil? That's stupid, what if he ends up with a broken nose or a broken wrist/hand? People would question his sanity.
Leafs season is done. Basically this would be the equivalent of Neil trying to intimidate Leblanc and Plekanec coming to the rescue. I'd praise Plekanec if he did but won't blame him if he didn't.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:07 AM
  #397
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Leafs season is done. Basically this would be the equivalent of Neil trying to intimidate Leblanc and Plekanec coming to the rescue. I'd praise Plekanec if he did but won't blame him if he didn't.
You playing NHL today?

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 04:43 AM
  #398
katatoniak
Registered User
 
katatoniak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jonquiere, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,217
vCash: 500
So everybody talks about Kostytsin when he gets 5 pts in 5 game ... but nobody talks about him when he's 0 in 4 ?

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:04 AM
  #399
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
So everybody talks about Kostytsin when he gets 5 pts in 5 game ... but nobody talks about him when he's 0 in 4 ?
Heh, was coming here to see if anyone was talking about it.

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:23 AM
  #400
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
So everybody talks about Kostytsin when he gets 5 pts in 5 game ... but nobody talks about him when he's 0 in 4 ?
Isn't that what you're doing?

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.