HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Improving skating

Old
03-16-2012, 01:39 AM
Joppy

vCash: 50
Improving skating

I'm looking to improve my skating ability and was wondering what you all could teach me about doing so. I need to be stronger on my skates, need better balance, agility, speed, you name it.

I'm 19 years old, in good shape, and willing to put in the effort to improve my skating. I'm looking for both on and off ice drills that I could do as well as weight lifting tips.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Joppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Logie

vCash: 500
I'm working on my skating, im often told i don't have enough knee bend which is crucial to a lot of things in skating. So i do a lot on trying to get a deep knee bend.

When i do get it, you be surprised how much extra speed you get.

I also work on both edges on both feet to make doing crossovers (front & back) and stopping both ways

Logie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Gino 14

Take powerskating.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Take powerskating.
This

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Joppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logie View Post
I'm working on my skating, im often told i don't have enough knee bend which is crucial to a lot of things in skating. So i do a lot on trying to get a deep knee bend.

When i do get it, you be surprised how much extra speed you get.

I also work on both edges on both feet to make doing crossovers (front & back) and stopping both ways
Getting a deeper knee bend is something I definitely need to work on. Always been too much of an upright skater. What are you doing to deepen your bend?

I don't know how much of an option power skating lessons are for me due to lack of availability. Is this something I can do by watching videos online and trying to practice them when I get ice time?

Old
03-16-2012, 12:04 PM
hockeymass

How long have you been playing? Getting a deeper knee bend is pretty easy...however much you're bending your knees, bend them more. If you're not getting low when you skate, you're not getting the extension you need for powerful strides and you're not going to be able to cut turns as well.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:30 PM
vyktor

here is the best advice I've ever gotten:get private lessons instead of power skating classes. Find an instructor who does both figure skating and hockey skating.

At first it is going to seem a lot more expensive, where I live for instance a power skating classes costs about $25 for an hour (about $150 for 6 1 hour sessions) Private instruction is $25/ half hour, but you get the instructors complete attention and individualized instructions. In a group lesson you are going to be lucky to get 5 mins of actual teaching.

With my son we spread it out to instruction every other week an the weeks between practicing what he learned.

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 08:36 AM
SydNap

Joppy, send me a PM. I have a spreadsheet that I use to track my workouts (includes upper body weights, lower body weights, cardio, stickhandling, and skating). I'll send it over. Good luck!

SydNap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 01:04 PM
biturbo19

Get low, and do edge drills until the cows come home! haha.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppy View Post
Getting a deeper knee bend is something I definitely need to work on. Always been too much of an upright skater. What are you doing to deepen your bend?
It seems obvious but when you work on getting low make sure you are not getting too forward at the same time. Thats a problem I always have.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

If you want to save money, just do edge drills non-stop. If you can master both edges going forward and backward, you'd be a much better skater.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Joppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
How long have you been playing? Getting a deeper knee bend is pretty easy...however much you're bending your knees, bend them more. If you're not getting low when you skate, you're not getting the extension you need for powerful strides and you're not going to be able to cut turns as well.
I started playing inline hockey 5 years ago and transitioned to a year ago. Despite this I am actually a pretty decent skater. Able to keep up with players on my club college team that have played there whole lives. Just need that extra gear.

Quote:
here is the best advice I've ever gotten:get private lessons instead of power skating classes. Find an instructor who does both figure skating and hockey skating.

At first it is going to seem a lot more expensive, where I live for instance a power skating classes costs about $25 for an hour (about $150 for 6 1 hour sessions) Private instruction is $25/ half hour, but you get the instructors complete attention and individualized instructions. In a group lesson you are going to be lucky to get 5 mins of actual teaching.

With my son we spread it out to instruction every other week an the weeks between practicing what he learned.
I'll definitely look into this. Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Joppy, send me a PM. I have a spreadsheet that I use to track my workouts (includes upper body weights, lower body weights, cardio, stickhandling, and skating). I'll send it over. Good luck!
Sent you a message! Thanks a lot for this.

Old
03-17-2012, 03:15 PM
dwreckm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydNap View Post
Can I have it too?

Anyways, after reading this thread, I really concentrated at my game last night on just trying to keep a deep knee bend. I've always been too straight legged, and besides hurting my back, I just didn't skate very well. Boy, what a difference the knee bend makes. I can finally stop without doing 360's, I can skate faster, I can turn better, everything just goes better.

dwreckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 05:00 PM
berzark

When you guys say get a private instructor, it cost 25$ 1\2 hour, do you consider that we have to rent the ice for 150-250$ an hour?

berzark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 05:08 PM
BigDuke6

Quote:
Originally Posted by berzark View Post
When you guys say get a private instructor, it cost 25$ 1\2 hour, do you consider that we have to rent the ice for 150-250$ an hour?
At my local rink private instructors will work with you at public sessions or during stick time. You end up having to pay around $20 for the ice time (depending on the length), but you don't have private ice.

BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 05:37 PM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6 View Post
At my local rink private instructors will work with you at public sessions or during stick time. You end up having to pay around $20 for the ice time (depending on the length), but you don't have private ice.

Yeah, this. I do a private lesson once a week if I can, and it's done during stick and puck time($10). So I have my lesson for an hour ($60), then mess around on my own (or with anyone that will practice with me) for another hour or two as long as the stick and puck session goes. It's still not inexpensive, but I eat lunch cheaply during the week so I can splurge on my lesson. And I look forward to that hour every week! It's helped me so much!

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 06:15 PM
BigDuke6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
Yeah, this. I do a private lesson once a week if I can, and it's done during stick and puck time($10). So I have my lesson for an hour ($60), then mess around on my own (or with anyone that will practice with me) for another hour or two as long as the stick and puck session goes. It's still not inexpensive, but I eat lunch cheaply during the week so I can splurge on my lesson. And I look forward to that hour every week! It's helped me so much!
With myself and 9 year old son in hockey, my 6 year old daughter in figure skating - I have yet to find an aspect of these sports that is inexpensive.

BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyktor View Post

This is great advice. I've seen the results of this on the ice with kids on my son's team. Power skating classes are fine, but personal instruction from a skating coach who teaches both is awesome. The best skater, by far, on my kid's 12 year old PeeWee team is a 9 year old kid whose mom is a figure skating coach.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Stickmata

With regard to knee bending, as others have said, make sure you're bending at the knees, not leaning with your upper body. If you're bending properly, your knees are out over your toes and your ankles are rolled forward, as if you're sitting on the edge of a chair. I think anyone who takes up skating later in life, struggles with this, at least for a while. What I do to work on this is I spend a period of every skate and shoot I attend, staying in the full bend full time for about 5 minutes at a time, skating hard, without standing up. I just force myself to stay down. I also do this in warm ups before games for a minute or so.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote