HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Erik Karlsson's next contract/possible offer sheet

Old
03-16-2012, 05:12 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Angle View Post
Don't underestimate how easy it is to be greedy in a big money situation. You clearly don't know anything about Drew Doughty. He has just as many "ties" to the kings organization as EK does to the Sens. Doughty grew up idolizing the Kings and Gretzky.. he wore #99 as a kid. Most kings fans thought he would sign around $6M or a little under, since it was his dream to become a king and all.. But clearly that's not what happened.

I'm not saying EK is going to holdout, be greedy, or anything like that. But there's a very good possibility. If I were you, I would just assume he's going to demand $7M+ ..So that way, when he signs a $7.5 x 10 year deal, you would've already expected it, instead of getting pissed off because you thought he loved the Sens.
Do you really think that last offseason none of Stamkos (best goal scorer in the league), Doughty (one of the best young offensive Dmen in the league), or Weber (speaks for himself) got an offer sheet? I'm sure all 3 of them were presented with multiple offer sheets, but none of them signed a single one of them. I'm sure offer sheets are common, but a player signing one is not. If Weber, who has been rumoured to want out of NAS, and Doughty (who held out) didn't sign an offer sheet, why on Earth would you think Karlsson, who already has ties to this team and community, is a leader, and idolizes Alfie, who was primarily responsible for helping him adjust to the league and this part of the world would sign one? I have zero worries about Karlsson. I honestly don't even think he'd sign an offer sheet for league max for 10 years. Alfie has instilled his same sense of loyalty into EK, and EK is happy here. Heck, EK was even happier than Alfie was when Alfie scored his 400th goal. He was jumping around like a kid on Christmas. You really think he's going to stab his idol and mentor in the back?

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:30 PM
ghozzt

Offer sheet?! No GM in their right mind would send an offer sheet. He's going to get around 6.5M$ which would mean 3 first round picks. Thats just insane! Only Burke is crazy enough to do this.

ghozzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilYoung View Post
You know how when other people say Karlsson can't play defense you think in your head "how ignorant" you just did the same thing.

Your underrating Green big time
Maybe he's better now, but I can admit i was a bandwagon Caps the year Green hit 30 goals, and he was bad defensively. Maybe because of coaching, idk, but the guy was not good.

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 06:57 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghozzt View Post
Offer sheet?! No GM in their right mind would send an offer sheet. He's going to get around 6.5M$ which would mean 3 first round picks. Thats just insane! Only Burke is crazy enough to do this.
That would be the steal of the century for any team... 3 low to mid firsts for the best offensive Dman (by far) in the league? Any GM makes that trade in a nanosecond. Only problem for them is Ottawa matches that without thinking twice.

Old
03-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Brooklanders*

Pittsburgh would give up three firsts for Erik.

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 09:10 AM
barneyg

Quote:
There's no such thing a 3 1st round picks on the compensation scale. 2012-13 numbers haven't been announced, but for 2011-12, $6.5 million is two 1sts + one 2nd + one 3rd territory, and depending on scale inflation could become just 1st+2nd+3rd for next year.

Regardless, as the poster above wrote, as a Pens fan I have no problem paying draft pick compensation for Karlsson. However, it wouldn't be the smartest cap management scheme to try and fit an extra $6.5+ million d-man under the cap even if we dropped Martin (which we assuredly would do), and we have Letang who's the guy who resembles Karlsson the most in this league (I know, I know, Karlsson invented sliced bread, but Letang almost did, OK?).

That's all moot since Ottawa would easily match $6.5 without thinking twice, and then would call Ray Shero just to tell him "how stupid were you to believe you could get Karlsson from us for $6.5"

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 09:17 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
They are allegedly working on a 3 year deal that would put him as an RFA again when that contract is done.

I'll say 3 years, 6.5M per.
If Ottawa wants a 3 he'll likely want a 4. In order to get a 3 the $$$ will need to be higher. Either way the kid has earned it. What do you pay a 70 point dman...whatever he wants.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:21 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklanders View Post
Pittsburgh would give up three firsts for Erik.
Of course they would, considering that any offer sheet that we would even entertain the notion of not matching would be well above the 4 first rounders breakpoint. And even then we likely match, since all 4 picks would be very, very late first round. If Malkin was RFA, Ottawa would give up three firsts for him as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
If Ottawa wants a 3 he'll likely want a 4. In order to get a 3 the $$$ will need to be higher. Either way the kid has earned it. What do you pay a 70 point dman...whatever he wants.
I don't know what you have or haven't heard, but the media reports all say that Erik's agent and the team are working on a 3 year deal. And he most assuredly will be paid more to take that deal. Our owner is willing to pony up, and we have cap space to burn.

Old
03-18-2012, 01:56 PM
UFancyHuh

Quote:
yeah cuz burke's known for giving out offer sheets..

A 3 year deal would be the best case scenario for Sens. If he continues to play at this pace, sign him to a long term deal. No point in signing him for 7 years now.

UFancyHuh is offline   Reply With Quote