HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Helm -second degree MCL sprain, will miss 4-6 weeks

Old
03-18-2012, 10:01 AM
zombi
I D D Q D

vCash: 500
Helm -second degree MCL sprain, will miss 4-6 weeks

Quote:
SAN JOSE, Calif. – It was a game of big-time collisions Saturday night, but there was one particular hit that was heard loud and clear in the press box about six or seven floors above the ice surface at HP Pavilion.

Unfortunately for Darren Helm, the consequences of the hit may sideline the Red Wings’ center for the remaining three weeks of the regular-season with a lower-body injury.

“I was hoping I'd be healthy and playing my best going into the playoffs. That obviously is not going to be the case,” Helm said. “Hopefully, I'll be healthy and excited to play the first game of the playoffs. Hopefully I'll be ready before that. I don't know how long it's going to take. We'll find out on Monday.”

Helm left the game midway through the third period. He was hurt after delivering a body check on Sharks center Dominic Moore in the neutral zone with 8:37 left in the period.

“I was going to hit Moore, kind of took not the best angle on him,” said Helm, who got the worst of the it. “He kind of jumped out of the way a little bit, trying to avoid the hit and we just kind of collided. I was trying to hit him pretty good and he got out of the way. It was just one of those funky collisions. I was in pain right away.”

Both players fell to the ice, but Helm got up very slowly before making his way to the Wings’ bench. A few minutes later, he left the ice under his own strength and did not return to the game.

An MRI is scheduled for Monday in Detroit, Helm said.
This sounds bad....

zombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 10:04 AM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

It's not official so he might feel better by Monday. Maybe the MRI will show no structural damage.

I doubt the Wings will get that lucky though.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Not going to lie, I thought it was going to be a facepalm injury due to title.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Everyone loves it when we play physical. This is one of the risks to being physical. In Kronner fashion Helm suffered one of those freak injuries. At least Kronner seems to have hitting down and hopefully Helm will get this straightened out when he gets back into game shape. If he can deliver open ice hits and cause turnovers his speed will give him lots of chances at breakaways.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 10:30 AM
wingnutjeff

It looked like it was a knee hyperextending as their two legs met. With Helm being a speed guy this could be bad.

wingnutjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

I fear it's an ACL tear.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:30 AM
SoupGuru

That was just a stupid hit. He's lucky he didn't get called on it. It looked like he had him lined up, realized he couldn't make the hit he wanted so then he bailed on it.... then a split second later he decides to try it anyway.

SoupGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:31 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
I fear it's an ACL tear.
If it was an ACL tear, he wouldnt have skated off by himself. When i tore mine, i couldnt even move. If he tore it, he would have been down for a while.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:52 AM
FlashyG

Its more likely an MCL injury than an ACL. As Zetterberg40 said, the ACL is a major part of your knee's stability and skating or walking on it would be near impossible if his ACL was torn.

From his symptoms is sounds like a Grade 3 MCL tear, the worst kind unfortunately, that prevents the knee from bending and healing time is normally 6 weeks + and includes immobilization, so rehab work to regain strength afterwards.

I hope its less serious cause if it is an MCL tear he's likely done for the season.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:02 PM
ZetterBurger

His knee bent in. It looked bad. I think he's done for a while.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:02 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
If it was an ACL tear, he wouldnt have skated off by himself. When i tore mine, i couldnt even move. If he tore it, he would have been down for a while.
Hatcher and Pronger both skated off after tearing their ACLs. I had previously thought the same thing but after seeing other guys skate on torn ACLs, I can't believe for sure that it's not a tear until the MRI results come back.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Hatcher and Pronger both skated off after tearing their ACLs. I had previously thought the same thing but after seeing other guys skate on torn ACLs, I can't believe for sure that it's not a tear until the MRI results come back.
IIRC Rafalski doesn't even have an ACL anymore which is why his mobility was hampered later in his career and he had to wear a permanent brace.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:57 PM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Everything has gone down hill since the home win streak ended, or the trade deadline. Pick one.

...or maybe it was Ericsson injury. Maybe he really is the glue the holds this team together...

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 02:00 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
Everything has gone down hill since the home win streak ended, or the trade deadline. Pick one.

...or maybe it was Ericsson injury. Maybe he really is the glue the holds this team together...
It started when the nucks beat the wings to end the streak, only brutal games after that.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post

I'm probably the biggest Ericsson fan on here - by default, obviously - and even I don't buy that. I think losing your:

Top goalie
Top forward
Top d-man
And a very solid 5v5 and PKing dman

Has taken its toll. We've got two guys back and should get E back in short order. We have to wait and see how long Lids and Helm will be out. So long as we get healthy prior to the start of the playoffs I think we'll be in decent shape. I'm not writing this team off during a time when they've struggled due to injury. That makes no sense to me. The one area of criticism is not giving a guy like Nyquist more opportunity given how much our complimentary forwards have struggled. Gus is going to be the next Val Filppula, we could use more of those guys, especially come playoff time. Cleary and Hudler are going to get eaten alive once the playoff start. It is not going to be pretty.

Old
03-18-2012, 02:31 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
It started when the nucks beat the wings to end the streak, only brutal games after that.
Coincidentally, that was also the first game Datsyuk was out due to injury, and the Wings haven't had their full starting lineup since.

When healthy the Wings are a top 5 team, possibly even #1.

Old
03-18-2012, 02:36 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
Coincidentally, that was also the first game Datsyuk was out due to injury, and the Wings haven't had their full starting lineup since.

When healthy the Wings are a top 5 team, possibly even #1.
When healthy... it doesn't seem like they will be completely healthy until next season.

Old
03-18-2012, 02:47 PM
joe89

Nyquist recalled..

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 02:47 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Everyone loves it when we play physical. This is one of the risks to being physical. In Kronner fashion Helm suffered one of those freak injuries. At least Kronner seems to have hitting down and hopefully Helm will get this straightened out when he gets back into game shape. If he can deliver open ice hits and cause turnovers his speed will give him lots of chances at breakaways.
This is a good point. I think the fans/posters compain about players not putting their 100% every game every shift, but the result would be much more injuries.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 03:10 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
When healthy... it doesn't seem like they will be completely healthy until next season.
The only person that is likely to miss substantial time is Helm, and even that isn't certain.

You're the only person I've seen that is convinced Lidstrom won't be back, but from what I've seen you're never that optimistic about anything Red Wing related.

Old
03-18-2012, 03:15 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
The only person that is likely to miss substantial time is Helm, and even that isn't certain.

You're the only person I've seen that is convinced Lidstrom won't be back, but from what I've seen you're never that optimistic about anything Red Wing related.
I think Lidstrom could be back but in the last 1-2 games of the regular season and obviously he won't become 100% until a few weeks after that and wings might be out of the playoffs by then. Same with Helm. Cleary will have surgery and he's playing well under his standard's.

So even if the team is healthy on paper with everyone playing there will be atleast 3 that are playing injured and I haven't even counted in Zetterberg's issues, he who always take "maintainence" days off instead of practicing.

Old
03-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Stuck in Socal

Yeah people have skated off when tearing ACL's. Heck, didn't Mule finish the game and score the game winner 2 years ago when he tore his ACL. I feel like Helm is going to be done for the season and playoffs, but we won't know until MRI. Those wondering why he couldn't get an MRI after the game, with Knee injuries, it is best to wait till the next day to see how it really is.

Stuck in Socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Nyquist recalled..
Well that's one bit of good news.

Old
03-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Anchor Town

It is certainly possible to use your leg with a torn ACL, you still have 3 other major ligaments holding the two bones together. Usually when people are unable to do it it is because of the pain and not because they are physically unable to.

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Its more likely an MCL injury than an ACL. As Zetterberg40 said, the ACL is a major part of your knee's stability and skating or walking on it would be near impossible if his ACL was torn.

From his symptoms is sounds like a Grade 3 MCL tear, the worst kind unfortunately, that prevents the knee from bending and healing time is normally 6 weeks + and includes immobilization, so rehab work to regain strength afterwards.

I hope its less serious cause if it is an MCL tear he's likely done for the season.
The hit was straight on so it isn't likely that it was a MCL, MCL injuries in hockey almost always are from side impact whereas ACL injuries come from straight on collisions. Hopefully it's only a partial tear to keep his rehab time down.

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote