HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Embarrassment Of Riches

Old
03-18-2012, 06:55 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

vCash: 500
Embarrassment Of Riches

After listening to the bull-ish on nbc today, i got to thinking, we have a little bit of talent ourselves. what do you folks think our team will look like in the next couple years by the year? Pretty naive to think there wont be any major changes barring the salary cap going up 20+ mills.

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 07:08 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

the next big franchise move will be acquiring replacements for pronger and kimmo in the coming years.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 07:17 PM
SgtJoseph

Homer and company have this club in excellent shape......All the Homer hate is by folks who "think" they understand pro hockey and what it "really" takes to build a solid organization from top to bottom.I will say and have said for years that the Philadelphia Flyers are one of the Top NHL franchises in the league.....What more can you really want as a fan ? Takes a little lady luck to win the cup whether some want to admit it or not....Look at how close Tampa came to knocking the Bruins out last year for example ? Look how close the # 8 seed Flyers came in 2010 ? Its a crap shoot,and the Flyers Organization is right in the middle of it again !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 07:43 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

i hear you both! i was more thinking carle out do we look to the farm or bring in somebody new, or with Jake needing a raise, do we trade him and let wellwood fill the void (for the record i would like to see voracek here for a while!)

Harts - Giroux - jvr
Simmer - Schenn - Voracek
Wellwood - Couts - Reader
Rinaldo - Talbot - Z?
Holmstrom

Hurts to say it, but Briere out in the favor of picks/prospects/stud dman package. The Kids have to play afterall. Also curious if Jagr resigns.
Wouldnt hurt my feelings to see Coburn and Grossmann be a long term pairing, obviously a big stud acquisition with Timonen (after losing one or both of Carle and Mez), Kubina if at a reasonable hit, and raising Gus, Manning, and maybs Bourdon.

Fire away!

Old
03-18-2012, 07:44 PM
duffy9748

Embarrassment of drafting in the top 2 five years in a row...

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 07:48 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Embarrassment of drafting in the top 2 five years in a row...
Who the oilers or penguins?

Old
03-18-2012, 07:50 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersjamminontheone View Post
Who the oilers or penguins?
uhhh....both?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 07:54 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
uhhh....both?
zzzzing!

Old
03-18-2012, 08:08 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

I think someone having an "embarrassment of riches" means they have almost no riches that its quite embarrassing. But hey, whatever.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 08:11 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
I think someone having an "embarrassment of riches" means they have almost no riches that its quite embarrassing. But hey, whatever.
An embarrassment of riches is an idiom that means an overabundance of something, or too much of a good thing. as per wikipedia. hater.

Old
03-18-2012, 08:12 PM
PJStock*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersjamminontheone View Post
i hear you both! i was more thinking carle out do we look to the farm or bring in somebody new, or with Jake needing a raise, do we trade him and let wellwood fill the void (for the record i would like to see voracek here for a while!)

Harts - Giroux - jvr
Simmer - Schenn - Voracek
Wellwood - Couts - Reader
Rinaldo - Talbot - Z?
Holmstrom

Hurts to say it, but Briere out in the favor of picks/prospects/stud dman package. The Kids have to play afterall. Also curious if Jagr resigns.
Wouldnt hurt my feelings to see Coburn and Grossmann be a long term pairing, obviously a big stud acquisition with Timonen (after losing one or both of Carle and Mez), Kubina if at a reasonable hit, and raising Gus, Manning, and maybs Bourdon.

Fire away!
Nice looking set of forwards, although I'd wonder where the leadership comes from after Timonen/Jagr and to a lesser extent Briere are gone. I'm not sure if they could maintain consistency. Giroux and Hartnell are both well liked by their teammates, but aren't exactly mature on the ice.

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 08:29 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Hmmm good point, I guess Talbot, Timonen for a couple more years, giroux (probably the next captain in a couple of years when timonen is done with it), coburn, Couts is pure class and should be eventually. One would think that the dman that may or may not come in the summer will have their fair share of responisbility as well.

Old
03-18-2012, 09:09 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Briere is going to see the life of his contract here, and I wouldnt doubt if he is resigned when it is up at a cheap cap hit. If not will most likely retire. He has a NMC as well as a foundation here both for himself and his kids and I have a feeling he will be another addition to the group of past flyers working for the organization after his career is thru.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 09:18 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Im not a big fan of Crosby or Ovechkin, but people, in reality, its just to attract fans.

NBC doesn't care about the die-hards because no matter what they put on the air, we will all watch it. They have to promote Crosby and Ovechkin, its just life I guess.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Mgkibbles

If Carle is gone, I'll be happy.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 10:08 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
If Carle is gone, I'll be happy.
I'm just not feeling this. I don't think I want him for 5 mil, but he's pretty decent for his current salary.

If you want to see a bad defender, thats Meszaros.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 10:14 PM
achdumeingute

I'd be for moving a couple assets to get a better one...it makes sense that we need to move a couple guys due to their eventual looming paydays. We will need another "top" scorer on this team, hopefully thats JVR, but that remains of course unknown.

Is this the real Hartnell? If so...he's getting a raise for sure from us.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 08:01 AM
kimmofan44

i was getting sick of eddie o's "ooooo" "and awwwww" everytime malkin touched the puck, i got a little unnerved that they felt the need o replay eery single g d thing crosby did with the puck, without the puck, on the bench. i choked back the vomit from the crosby's back 1st intermission that i a knew was going to come, but to completely ignore the team that i only behind the pens(and the rangers) by a couple of points and run with a segamant called "pittsburg an embarassment of riches" during the second is just disgusting, a lay person would have assumed i was watching the pens brodcast and not a national game. i know they have to promote the star of the league,but to diddle the entire teams bungs for 2 and a half hours is crazy!

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 08:21 AM
thelos
Bunk

It's great to see that guys like Voracek can be a force for us at times. We have a lot of weapons

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 08:36 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
i was getting sick of eddie o's "ooooo" "and awwwww" everytime malkin touched the puck, i got a little unnerved that they felt the need o replay eery single g d thing crosby did with the puck, without the puck, on the bench. i choked back the vomit from the crosby's back 1st intermission that i a knew was going to come, but to completely ignore the team that i only behind the pens(and the rangers) by a couple of points and run with a segamant called "pittsburg an embarassment of riches" during the second is just disgusting, a lay person would have assumed i was watching the pens brodcast and not a national game. i know they have to promote the star of the league,but to diddle the entire teams bungs for 2 and a half hours is crazy!
It was nauseating.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 08:42 AM
ekim997

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Homer and company have this club in excellent shape......All the Homer hate is by folks who "think" they understand pro hockey and what it "really" takes to build a solid organization from top to bottom.I will say and have said for years that the Philadelphia Flyers are one of the Top NHL franchises in the league.....What more can you really want as a fan ? Takes a little lady luck to win the cup whether some want to admit it or not....Look at how close Tampa came to knocking the Bruins out last year for example ? Look how close the # 8 seed Flyers came in 2010 ? Its a crap shoot,and the Flyers Organization is right in the middle of it again !
flyers were 7th seed then...mtl was 8th

ekim997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:18 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim997 View Post
flyers were 7th seed then...mtl was 8th
Wasn't it the only time in history a 7-8 seed met for conference final as well?