HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Coyotes 3 Oilers 2 SHOOTOUT

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-18-2012, 10:28 PM
  #51
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,147
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Which has more to do with people on this board developing a particular dislike for certain players than what said players actually bring to the table.

Citing what this board would want on this matter is specious. Pretty much everybody here, including cup of oil, felt the brule trade was a steal and Raffi junk. Pretty much everybody here felt Eager would be better.

Hows that working for ya.
Maybe he just wasn't that good? When Raffi was on, he was great. Unfortunately that wasn't very often. He floated about 80% of the games he played in.

The deal was fine when it went down. Raffi hasn't had more than a 31 point season since he left here. He hasn't had a 20 goal season either. He was horrible when he got traded to the Sabres, and mildly effective for the Canucks.

Players like him are a dime a dozen.

GreatKeith is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:29 PM
  #52
dobiezeke*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Precisely. A lot of counting eggs before they're hatched. A year ago we don't even know if Petry will be an NHL player. Now that few months with all the acolades.

Brutal decisions by him tonight. Also getting owned in the OT period and resulting in the penalty.

As for Torres of course I'm going to be talking about this. Anybody on this board STILL prefer a plug like Eager over Torres?

You guys know who you are. fess up.

Torres with 14goals and counting despite getting bottom minutes and less than 11/night. This would still be a 20 goal scorer with any kind of minutes.

Finally, anybody else watch how Torres braces for hits along the boards and never gets badly drilled or hurt? Should be required watching for our entire club. The Oilers were trying to run Torres tonight and couldn't hurt him at all.
I'd prefer neither...which was exactly what we got tonite. Therefore, perfect situation.

dobiezeke* is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:29 PM
  #53
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
I was at the game (I was sitting really close and had a really nice view of Phoenix's comeback) and I didn't think that the Oilers necessarily sat back in the 3rd. A couple of breakdowns and boom. In the net. Pretty even tilt all around. SO losses are always a shame.

Also, when you're at the game and sitting that close to the action it really becomes apparent how truly incompetent these officials are. Television DOES NOT do it justice. Also, they need to lose some damn weight. No wonder they can't keep up with the play. One of the officials had a gut that was nearly hanging out of his freaking sweater.

Also x2 screw Ray Whitney. I hate that puke and I always will.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:29 PM
  #54
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Its far too early to be calling what Petry is except our illustrious GM did that thinking that Petry is going to be an excellent and solid D for years to come. Will he?

We'll see.

heh, I care about Torres. A crowd of a few here. Never could understand the dislike for the player. He'd make us a better club. WE have about 2 players on this club that could wire that tying goal home like Torres did. How'd you like to have a guy like that on bottom six that can change the whole outcome of a game?
OMG, some people think that Petry MIGHT be an excellent defender for years to come based on a terrific 2nd half to the season in his 2nd NHL season. Oh the horror. Of course nobody knows how he will turn out but the returns look good so far, there's no need to pile on him after one game in which he didn't even play that badly outside of a couple of glaring mistakes.

There are tons of players that could help the Oilers, lets talk about all of them.
Lets talk about Yandle and OEL, ya know, players worth talking about.

CupofOil is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:32 PM
  #55
Koto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,258
vCash: 500
the PP units in OT were clueless

rnh with a LHD

hemsky with a RHD


well done "coaches"

Koto is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:32 PM
  #56
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,147
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I was at the game (I was sitting really close and had a really nice view of Phoenix's comeback) and I didn't think that the Oilers necessarily sat back in the 3rd. A couple of breakdowns and boom. In the net. Pretty even tilt all around. SO losses are always a shame.

Also, when you're at the game and sitting that close to the action it really becomes apparent how truly incompetent these officials are. Television DOES NOT do it justice. Also, they need to lose some damn weight. No wonder they can't keep up with the play. One of the officials had a gut that was nearly hanging out of his freaking sweater.

Also x2 screw Ray Whitney. I hate that puke and I always will.
Yeah the officials missed their fair share today. They missed an easy high stick in OT...

GreatKeith is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:34 PM
  #57
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb View Post
What a terrible pp in ot. No killer instinct.
Gagner had no business being out there, we had absolutely no down low presence, we should've had Smyth or even Harski in front of the net.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:34 PM
  #58
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Maybe he just wasn't that good? When Raffi was on, he was great. Unfortunately that wasn't very often. He floated about 80% of the games he played in.

The deal was fine when it went down. Raffi hasn't had more than a 31 point season since he left here. He hasn't had a 20 goal season either. He was horrible when he got traded to the Sabres, and mildly effective for the Canucks.

Players like him are a dime a dozen.
BS he's averaged around 150hits/year, about 16 goals/yr since leaving here and with many game winning goals in the bunch. afairc he had something like 10GWG in his stint in Columbus. Basically led the team along with Nash in that category.

A guy that averages around 15goals/yr on 11mins/night. You kidding me?

You got guys like that on your club and its a Solid contribution. No less than Shane Doan has referenced Torres solid play and contribution several times this year.

Replacement is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:35 PM
  #59
Lobotomizer*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Which has more to do with people on this board developing a particular dislike for certain players than what said players actually bring to the table.

Citing what this board would want on this matter is specious. Pretty much everybody here, including cup of oil, felt the brule trade was a steal and Raffi junk. Pretty much everybody here felt Eager would be better.

Hows that working for ya.
Good thing for Torres that the GM's and coaches in the league see his value.

Oh wait, 4 teams in 4 years. Yup, definitely an asset.

Lobotomizer* is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:35 PM
  #60
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Gagner had no business being out there, we had absolutely no down low presence, we should've had Smyth or even Harski in front of the net.
One fan in our area literally stood up and started heckling Renney for his PP personnel decisions near the tail end of that powerplay. I felt like telling him, "Man, I share your sentiments, but he can't hear you."

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:36 PM
  #61
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500


We got a point and indirectly put another dagger into Calgary's playoff hopes.

Turrican* is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:36 PM
  #62
The Bored Man
#94
 
The Bored Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,386
vCash: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Gagner had no business being out there, we had absolutely no down low presence, we should've had Smyth or even Harski in front of the net.

The Bored Man is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:37 PM
  #63
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Gagner had no business being out there, we had absolutely no down low presence, we should've had Smyth or even Harski in front of the net.
Suggest you replay it again. Gagner worked it fine and was setting up the only chances. Unfortunately nobody was moving. Everybody forgot to move around.

Plus how is Gagner supposed to have "down low presence" when he was working the point on that stint? Jebus I think Potter was on the ice. Somebody has to be playing D.

Replacement is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:37 PM
  #64
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Precisely. A lot of counting eggs before they're hatched. A year ago we don't even know if Petry will be an NHL player. Now that few months with all the acolades.

Brutal decisions by him tonight. Also getting owned in the OT period and resulting in the penalty.

As for Torres of course I'm going to be talking about this. Anybody on this board STILL prefer a plug like Eager over Torres?

You guys know who you are. fess up.

Torres with 14goals and counting despite getting bottom minutes and less than 11/night. This would still be a 20 goal scorer with any kind of minutes.

Finally, anybody else watch how Torres braces for hits along the boards and never gets badly drilled or hurt? Should be required watching for our entire club. The Oilers were trying to run Torres tonight and couldn't hurt him at all.
Maybe you didn't but I sure as hell did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Haha, the first time we hear Torres' name at all in 4 games against Phoenix this year and guess who shows up?

Raise your hand if you're surprised.
Hands down for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredMan View Post
Er, did I miss a thread on Eager and Torres?
Apparently. Maybe when Torres shows that he can fight we can compare the two.

Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:39 PM
  #65
Lobotomizer*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Suggest you replay it again. Gagner worked it fine and was setting up the only chances. Unfortunately nobody was moving. Everybody forgot to move around.

Plus how is Gagner supposed to have "down low presence" when he was working the point on that stint? Jebus I think Potter was on the ice. Somebody has to be playing D.
Trade Gagner for Torres!!!

Lobotomizer* is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:39 PM
  #66
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
Good thing for Torres that the GM's and coaches in the league see his value.

Oh wait, 4 teams in 4 years. Yup, definitely an asset.
Some GM's deserve what they get. Including here. Oh wait, you're counting that one.

Oh yeah, the clueless decision to trade Torres for Brule straight up.

Replacement is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:40 PM
  #67
Lobotomizer*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Some GM's deserve what they get. Including here. Oh wait, you're counting that one.

Oh yeah, the clueless decision to trade Torres for Brule straight up.

Ummm...wasn't counting 'that one'.

Columbus
Buffalo
Vancouver
Phoenix

Lobotomizer* is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:41 PM
  #68
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post

Also x2 screw Ray Whitney. I hate that puke and I always will.
Why is that MV? It was our fault he's not playing for the Oilers...on two separate occasions.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:42 PM
  #69
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Maybe you didn't but I sure as hell did.
I was one of the few people here giving Petry credit and benefit of doubt here last season. If you remember correctly most of the board were busy burying him.



Quote:
Apparently. Maybe when Torres shows that he can fight we can compare the two.
Well kind of statement considering petrell and Gagner have been in as many fights as Eager this year.
Torres isn't a fighter. Does everybody need to be one? Is Jones one?

Replacement is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:43 PM
  #70
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
One fan in our area literally stood up and started heckling Renney for his PP personnel decisions near the tail end of that powerplay. I felt like telling him, "Man, I share your sentiments, but he can't hear you."
Yeah it made absolutely no sense, no down low presence at all, Gagner was a very poor choice for a 4 on 3. 5 on 3 I'd be less critical but that was a bunk coaching decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Suggest you replay it again. Gagner worked it fine and was setting up the only chances. Unfortunately nobody was moving. Everybody forgot to move around.

Plus how is Gagner supposed to have "down low presence" when he was working the point on that stint? Jebus I think Potter was on the ice. Somebody has to be playing D.
Gagner was on the point, my point is that we needed someone to occupy a d-man down low while RNH and Eberle played a 2 man game/passed back to the point.

Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:43 PM
  #71
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
Why is that MV? It was our fault he's not playing for the Oilers...on two separate occasions.
Irrational hatred. Never liked him. Can't explain it.

If he would stop dialling it up against the Oilers I might be able to wipe him from my memory.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:45 PM
  #72
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I was one of the few people here giving Petry credit and benefit of doubt here last season. If you remember correctly most of the board were busy burying him.



Well kind of statement considering petrell and Gagner have been in as many fights as Eager this year.
Torres isn't a fighter. Does everybody need to be one? Is Jones one?
I've been a huge fan of Petry's since his Freshman year in college, I've never doubted his potential even when many were writing him off in his sophomore year because MSU was putrid and it reflected on his stats.

As for Eager, his fights are just a tad more effective than the other guys, he can actually scrap a bit. Ask Mike Brown.

Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:46 PM
  #73
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
Ummm...wasn't counting 'that one'.

Columbus
Buffalo
Vancouver
Phoenix
Buffalo was a rental but anyway.

I think Torres was a good player for all of the clubs he played at least a season with.

He's been a good player for Phoenix for what his assignments are.

Replacement is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:48 PM
  #74
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
One thing I noticed tonight was how Hordichuk really struggles to keep up with the flow and pace of NHL speed. He can find that reserve in spurts but the look on his face is quite comical when he digs down deep.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 10:50 PM
  #75
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I've been a huge fan of Petry's since his Freshman year in college, I've never doubted his potential even when many were writing him off in his sophomore year because MSU was putrid and it reflected on his stats.

As for Eager, his fights are just a tad more effective than the other guys, he can actually scrap a bit. Ask Mike Brown.
I've seen Eager get his ass handed to him real good as well. You have too. @ 240lbs he should be a hell of a lot better hockey fighter than he is. Gary Roberts at the age of 41 and giving up around 25lbs destroyed Eager. Sure you know about that one.

Eager isn't all that great at getting positioning and the right clench in fights. Which is odd. Guy has a lot of weight but should be a lot stronger than he is.

Replacement is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.