HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

(HF) Questions for Oil Scouts

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2003, 04:55 PM
theoil

vCash: 500
Hi Guy, I am interested in the mechanics of how they do their job now versus how they did them under Barry Fraser. Things like how often they report and the emphasis on the reports. I hear they started using a new software/hardware programme last year and I am wondering if they like it and what do they like about it and does it have any advantages for them.

Thanks.

Old
11-12-2003, 06:10 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Hey just so you guys and gals know... Chris McCarthy just emailed me to say he likes the questions you have been lining up for him already. I called him a cheater for peeking early but... what am I gonna do, complain?

Anyway... keep them coming because he's excited to answer all your queries.

Old
11-12-2003, 06:19 PM
Skylla

Guy:

Off the topic question (sort of):

Is Dave Semenko a coach for the Oilers now?

Thanks

Old
11-12-2003, 08:46 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Which what? Which scouts or which tournaments?

(I think I know what you meant but I'm just clarifying)
Both. I'm assuming that since Chris is Boston-based, he's likely to be at either the Hockey East or ECAC Conference Championship series. (my guess is the former since the Oilers have more prospects in HE than ECAC). But if he's not going to be at either one, will he attend either the CCHA or WCHA Conference Championship series? Also, is he planning on attending the any of the regional tourneys (after conference championship series) that "officially" kicks off the "Road to the Frozen Four". If so, which ones?

[sorry if this sounds confusing, but it's really not.]

Old
11-12-2003, 08:52 PM
creative giant*

Could you ask him why we didn't pick zach parise with the 17th pick? The only reasons I have heard of is his size, but I can't belive that would be the only reason.

Old
11-13-2003, 07:22 AM
Shizuka

Great to see this kind of access available to us regular fans, much appreciated GuyF and the Oil organization! On to the questions:

1. With the looming CBA talks (perhaps dooming next year's season) how do the scouts see this affecting those kids who are finishing in college / major junior, and are available to make the jump to the minor pros or even a longshot to make our roster on opening day? I am thinking of those in the CHL, particularly, whom the scouts feel would not be gaining anything by staying in their respective league? (I'm not even sure if the AHL shuts down or not? I would assume they keep playing, but could use some clarification on that please). How will this affect their development, and are there contingencies in place for the prospects i.e. going overseas perhaps?

2. Amongst the scouting staff, do each of you have a particular preference regarding the type of player you look for i.e. do you guys have "specialties" that you bring to the table, or do you all prefer to see the players each yourselves at some point during a season and reach a consensus? Mikhnov and Niinimaki in particular, seem to have come from left field i.e. particular scouts' picks?

3. Are we seeing a philosophical, fundamental shift in the Oilers' drafting mentality since this past 2003 draft had us drafting for a specific need (size) as opposed to choosing the best player available with the pick? Or, in my ignorance, am I just thinking that was the previous philosophy when really your draft methods haven't changed at all?

4. Since you're all relied upon heavily, as our team has to build through the draft, who in the end has the final word when there is a list of two or three prospects that you like? Does it just end up being reliance upon that one scout's word, a hunch?

5. What do you have to bring to the table, when you are a scout? Can any player who retires, end up being a scout (Frank Musil, Kent Nilsson) or does it take a certain eye?

Sorry to hog all the questions

Old
11-13-2003, 07:51 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka
Great to see this kind of access available to us regular fans, much appreciated GuyF and the Oil organization! On to the questions:

Sorry to hog all the questions
Not at all... those were all very good questions!

And for my part in this - your welcome!

Old
11-13-2003, 04:02 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Bump to get more questions...

There's less than 24 hours until the "weekend" starts so get those questions in quickly if you haven't already.

Old
11-13-2003, 04:08 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
I aim to please momentai (what's that mean by the way? the name I mean)
I think it's chinese for "Don't worry". As much as you might think I got the nick from the chinese language, I didn't. Haha.. It came from a cartoon show my sister used to watch a couple years ago.

Old
11-13-2003, 09:57 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

1 more bump before I lay this thread to rest.

Old
11-14-2003, 06:15 AM
momentai

It's probably late... but I'm wondering if you could ask them about some of the dmen of note in the upcoming draft. No sleepers... as I don't want them to give away any secrets. :p

But with the apparent lack of offensive dmen or stud potential #1 dmen in the wings for this Oiler club, I was wondering if they would do a quick rundown on their favorite players and why. IE/ Cam Barker, Alexandre Picard, etc.

Old
11-16-2003, 11:31 AM
Duff88

The big problem for Deslaurier is that he doesn't seem to gain experience. He's on his 3rd season here in Chicoutimi and he's still extremely inconsistent and when he's on a strong game, he'll always give a few weak goals.

These are his 2 big problems. He will come out strong 2 games out of 3, and on these two games, he'll be awesome but somewhere in the game, and it might happen more than one time, he'll give a goal in a weak 5-hole shot.

He seems to upgrade, but only at a slow rate. If he wants to become a good goaltender, he'll need to put his game together. I think he can, but the amount of work needed might exceed his capacity.

We'll see what happens in 5 years.

Closed Thread