HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Zucker: the next Drury or the next Potulny?

Old
03-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Al Lagoon

vCash: 50
Zucker: the next Drury or the next Potulny?

College prospects seem very difficult to predict:

On one hand, Zucker has the great numbers and international experience. He seems to have loads of character. Good speed and goal scoring ability.

On the other hand, you look at guys like Irmen, or Potulny, who had some of those characteristics, who never really made in the NHL. There are tons of promising college guys who flame out once they hit the rigors of pro hockey.

I guess the fact that Zucker has done all he has in college as an 18-19 year old is one thing that sets him apart.

Opinions? Boom or bust?

Al Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:08 AM
nickschultzfan

vCash: 500
Next Parise.

Ok, poor-man's Parise.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Jbcraig1883

To me, Zucker has speed, a good shot, and is always hustling. Irmen hustled and had a decent shot but did not have good speed. If I remember correctly, most were hoping he could become a great third liner that could bang and provide a goal here and there, but his skating ability/speed did not allow him to be effective. Potulny (Ryan) had lots of skill but I don't feel he had enough skill to make it as a top 6 and not the game for a bottom 6. As for Grant, I just thought he was a guy that never quit hustling who was average at everything.

So, whereas the guys mentioned above maybe had one great skill, I think Zucker has 2 or 3 that will allow for him to make it in the NHL. Before the draft, most thought he would be a feisty bottom 6 player since he has speed, can get in on the forecheck, and is not afraid of physical play. But now that he has shown some offensive ability since the draft, some are hoping he can make it in the top 6.

It's hard to say. My own gut feeling is that his speed/skating ability will provide him with several opportunities. As to whether his goal scoring will transfer to the NHL, I don't know. I see him being a good 3rd liner who causes turnovers, and someone who has speed and a shot to capitalize on the turnovers. Put him with someone fast, physical, an a good shot (Clutterbuck?), and I think defensemen will really start feeling pressure.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Neither. He will be the first Jason Zucker.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:00 AM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

"Wild" guess 2nd line pot.

SphinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:24 AM
forthewild

zucker has the skill to be a top 6 guy but he also has the game to be a great 3rd line player who steps up into t6 when needed.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:47 AM
nickschultzfan

The nice thing about Zucker and Bulmer is that they don't have to be bottom-6 guys like Clutterbuck. They will bring energy, toughness, and goal scoring to the top lines without killing the offense.

Clutterbuck on the other hand will always be a 3rd liner by trade. He can chip in offense, but he can't play either the cerebral offensive game or the cycle offensive possession game.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Dee Oh Cee

I think the ideal situation is we have enough offensive guys where it's necessary to have him 'down' on the 3rd line...we've been so deficient offensively that we don't really know what it's like to have 3 scoring lines (or 3 lines that CAN score) so just by saying he is a 3rd liner is not really a slight but a hopeful projection for where the team is heading in the future.

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:54 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
dammit Generic User beat me to it.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If he can score 25+ goals and play his heart out every shift, I see no reason why he'd have to be on the third line. He doesn't seem nearly as streaky as say Setoguchi, but then again one's a prospect the other's an NHL'er.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:36 PM
MNman

Zucker - Cullen - Clutterbuck

would make for a very good 3rd line.

Initially I was on the bandwagon that Zucker could become a 30 goal scorer in the NHL, but since, my feelings have tempered. Still feel he will make a quality NHL player, but hover around the 3rd line / 2nd line tweener for the most part. Probably like what we see out of Cullen these last two years.

MNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:46 PM
BagHead

Jason Zucker is a player that I see as a Casey Wellman plus. Wellman had the speed, the hustle, and the shot. Zucker has all that, plus physical play. That alone should make him at least a NHL bottom six player, if he keeps it up at the next level.

I've seen a lot of comparisons here, and a lot of ideas for lines. I don't like him on a line with Clutterbuck, because that almost requires a Granlund or PMB to play between them, because neither are great playmakers. I'd like to see him on a line with a player like Coyle and Phillips/Larsson. Playmakers who can set him up when he hits the high circles or slot.

I don't see him being the next Drury, Potulny, or Parise-lite. I see him being part Clutterbuck, part Wellman, and possibly better than both offensively.

BagHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:06 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

It's hard to predict college prospects, it's not anywhere near major junior or the AHL, he could be on a great team and putting up great stats, or on a **** team putting up lame stats like Coyle was.

Never seen him play, but maybe next training camp or if he jumps into the AHL next season.

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:13 PM
sioux210

zucker had a great game today, really like the way he plays, hes always a threat when hes on the ice, i definitely see him ending up as a 2nd or 3rd liner

sioux210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 08:13 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Next Sakic in my opinion...

Na, I don't really know who to compare him to. He has a lot of qualities both in his game and mentality where I'd be hesitant to peg him at any sort of floor. I know for a fact that he's playing with multiple fairly significant injuries right now. Kid is a gamer and a player teams win with. Thrilled that the Wild hold his rights.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Zucker is a hell of a lot better than Wellman. He put up better numbers at 18 than Wellman did at 22. He represented his country in the WJC's. He's not quite as tall but sure has a better build.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagHead View Post
Jason Zucker is a player that I see as a Casey Wellman plus. Wellman had the speed, the hustle, and the shot. Zucker has all that, plus physical play. That alone should make him at least a NHL bottom six player, if he keeps it up at the next level.

I've seen a lot of comparisons here, and a lot of ideas for lines. I don't like him on a line with Clutterbuck, because that almost requires a Granlund or PMB to play between them, because neither are great playmakers. I'd like to see him on a line with a player like Coyle and Phillips/Larsson. Playmakers who can set him up when he hits the high circles or slot.

I don't see him being the next Drury, Potulny, or Parise-lite. I see him being part Clutterbuck, part Wellman, and possibly better than both offensively.
I respectfully disagree. How often has Clutterbuck scored his goals from PMB or a playmaker? Most of his goals have come from turnovers where he has gone down the wing and used his wristshot, or he has gone to the front of the net and gotten garbage goals.

Clutterbuck has not scored a lot by maintaining offensive zone pressure, cycling, etc. Nor have we had the talent to score a lot on rushes that are not odd-man.

I see Zucker being able to do the same thing with his speed and shot. And with both of them together, those opportunities should increase.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 02:30 PM
BagHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post
I respectfully disagree. How often has Clutterbuck scored his goals from PMB or a playmaker? Most of his goals have come from turnovers where he has gone down the wing and used his wristshot, or he has gone to the front of the net and gotten garbage goals.

Clutterbuck has not scored a lot by maintaining offensive zone pressure, cycling, etc. Nor have we had the talent to score a lot on rushes that are not odd-man.

I see Zucker being able to do the same thing with his speed and shot. And with both of them together, those opportunities should increase.
Which is exactly my point. Clutterbuck scores inconsistently because this is how he scores. Zucker has the wheels that Clutterbuck does, and he can make his own chances, but he is better known for his speed and shooting than his puck carrying, so it would benefit his scoring greatly to have a guy who can carry a puck around in the offensive zone on that line, and Clutterbuck can't/doesn't do that.
Zucker may turn out to be a poor mans Parise yet, and he certainly looks like one in college, I just don't know if he can do some of the things he does in college at the NHL level. What I'm trying to say is that he can do all the same things Clutterbuck can do, and a few other things as well, but their weaknesses are also very similar. I'm incredibly high on this kid, I just think having he and Clutterbuck on one line would be somewhat redundant, and I'm not sold on effective either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Zucker is a hell of a lot better than Wellman. He put up better numbers at 18 than Wellman did at 22. He represented his country in the WJC's. He's not quite as tall but sure has a better build.
Agreed. I meant in terms of play style, not talent.

Last edited by BagHead: 03-18-2012 at 02:36 PM.
BagHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 07:19 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

forgive me if i'm wrong, but i feel that a close comparison could be James Neal? zuckers got a great shot, and he gets a lot of goals by being in the right place at the right time.

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 12:09 AM
Beegoalie

Zucker reminds me of a poor man's Devin Setoguchi...they play the exact same game.

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 12:19 AM
SauceHockey
Retired

[QUOTE=Beegoalie;46325573]Zucker reminds me of a poor man's Devin Setoguchi...they play the exact same game.[/QUOTE
Zucker is more consistant as other people have poited out.

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote