HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues vs. Bolts - 6:00 CST: "May the Schwartz Be With You Edition"

Old
03-18-2012, 06:38 PM
h22prelude93

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
I don't think it is. As much as people ***** about Stewart it's hilarious how much of a free pass D'Agostini gets. He's just as one-dimensional as Stewart is. All D'Agostini can do is skate and shoot. And he doesn't even use his shot enough. His 9 goals this year was really lighting it up so let's bench Stewart for him immediately! I just don't get why anyone would rather see D'Ags in there but that's just me.

But nonetheless, fantastic news on all of our injured players and it'd be sweet to get them back before the playoffs.
Notice I still included Stewart in my top 9. All I was saying is Hitchcock will definitely have to weigh all his options IF we were to in fact have full healthy roster. I think D'Agostini plays with more energy than Stewart on most nights, but that's just my opinion. I also think Stewart could end up surprising some people in the playoffs...he's been clutch for us on a few occasions and my hope is that he turns it on heading into the post season. To be honest, I really like the level of competition Porter has been bringing to the table lately too. Either way, there's so many talented players on this team that I definitely would hate to have to be the one to make those kinds of decisions.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 07:09 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
Notice I still included Stewart in my top 9. All I was saying is Hitchcock will definitely have to weigh all his options IF we were to in fact have full healthy roster. I think D'Agostini plays with more energy than Stewart on most nights, but that's just my opinion. I also think Stewart could end up surprising some people in the playoffs...he's been clutch for us on a few occasions and my hope is that he turns it on heading into the post season. To be honest, I really like the level of competition Porter has been bringing to the table lately too. Either way, there's so many talented players on this team that I definitely would hate to have to be the one to make those kinds of decisions.
My bad, I should have clarified but my post was not directed at you personally. I was just ranting.

I agree with you though. I still don't think you can roll just 4 scoring lines in the playoffs. We are going to need guys like Nichol, Porter and/or Reaves in the playoffs to play physical and give us some energy. But if all these injured players come back, who sits? It really is a tough call, but we'll see if we even get to that point.

Either way, we are going to have an abundance of forwards next season (especially if Tarasenko comes over and any of Arnott/Langenbrunner/Nichol are re-signed). I think it's inevitable that that one or maybe even two forwards are dealt, possibly with that left-handed d-man coming back our way. And IMO, D'Agostini would be one of the more expendable players, but again, we'll see.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 08:01 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I'm pretty confident Hitchcock would keep Nichol in there for his faceoffs and his cycling and the fact he's a center.

After him, I think it's 1. Crombeen, 2. Porter, 3. Reaves for Hitch, in that order. Crombeen is the best of that group defensively, and after a slow first couple of games has been strong. If the roster is so full that at least two of those guys are sitting, it means there's more scoring in the lineup and thus they need Porter less than Crombeen.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Rizzo90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
I don't think it is. As much as people ***** about Stewart it's hilarious how much of a free pass D'Agostini gets. He's just as one-dimensional as Stewart is. All D'Agostini can do is skate and shoot. And he doesn't even use his shot enough. His 9 goals this year was really lighting it up so let's bench Stewart for him immediately! I just don't get why anyone would rather see D'Ags in there but that's just me.

But nonetheless, fantastic news on all of our injured players and it'd be sweet to get them back before the playoffs.
I half & half agree, love stewart as far as speed & size, but I can't remember the last time I didn't count @ least ten times per game that he easily got the puck knocked from his stick, more often than not @ a crucial time like during an otherwise great entry into the offensive zone. He's faster than Dags, but I actually started to nickname Dags "Tenacious-D" because of his play. I can't decide where the trade off is & or what is more important. But Dags tenacity to me would come in handier during a 7 game series...also depends on how big & or physical the opponent is or isn't.....so I feel sorta torn.... I like both guys

I do know this...if I were Hitch the 1st guy I would sit in an "all healthy" roster would be crombeen.

Rizzo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 08:46 PM
diehardbluesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
At LEAST 1, in any case. Which is why it is essential that the others get healthy. I think that Steen WILL be ready to work out. But he hasn't skated in a long time AND has lost 15 lbs (much of it muscle). So, EVEN if he's back, will an out-of shape, weakened Steen be better than playing an eager D'Agostini or a still-trying-to-find-his-way Stewart? These are questions for Hitch to consider.

I'd like the following (assuming that Steen does his test skate tomorrow, and stays okay, and then starts skating every day, and lifting weights):

Schwartz-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Berglund-Perron
Steen-Arnott-Langenbrunner/Stewart/D'Agostini(late fill-in)
Sobotka-Nichol(Sobotka late fill)-Stewart/D'Agostini/Crobeen/Reaves/Porter

Colaiacovo/Huskins-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak
Huskins/Colaiacovo-Cole

Stewart is probably the weakest link at forward, but, I hate to remove his big body. I wish he'd get Backes'/Oshie's/Schwartz's competitive spirit and work ethic. He tries hard at times, but his heart isn't in it all the way. Some people have that drive and others just don't.
Do you have a link to where Steen has lost 15 lbs of muscle? Strickland just tweeted earlier he's been working out/skating on a daily basis. Here is the tweet,

Quote:
Alex Steen to meet with Ken Hitchcock on Tuesday..could resume practicing with #Blues this week. Been skating/working out on a daily basis

diehardbluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 09:08 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
You don't lose 15 pounds of muscle in that short of time.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbluesfan View Post
Do you have a link to where Steen has lost 15 lbs of muscle? Strickland just tweeted earlier he's been working out/skating on a daily basis. Here is the tweet,
He has only been working out since his symptoms started to disappear. He probably has gained some of that bulk weight back since starting lifting again. With luck, he might be down just a few pounds by the time he plays again. I don't have a link. But I read it from JR, Andy, Korac, or some blogger. I doubt that someone just made that up. I know it's quite possible.

When I tore cartilage in my knee, and was out for 4 months(back in the mid '60s), I went down from 185 to 172. So, I know how that goes. It took me a LOT of lifting to creep back up to 180. I NEVER got back to 185 again (I have a wiry frame). I weigh 157 now at 65 years old. Of course, back then, we didn't have sophisticated steroids and knew less how proteins helped in muscle building (we just ate a lot of steaks). That would be really expensive now! Ha! Ha!

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 09:28 PM
h22prelude93

It's certainly possible. He's been out for nearly 3 months. His playing weight is listed 206...with a lack of exercise and proper diet it's not too far of a stretch that he went down to 191. My grandma actually dated a Blues player in the early 70's(Ted Harris)and she says he claimed his weight would sometimes fluctuate 10lbs after games. Not sure if he was exaggerating as I never had the chance to meet him, but I wouldn't be surprised. Also, if Steen did in fact lose that much weight...I imagine a good deal of that would be water weight.

Old
03-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
It's certainly possible. He's been out for nearly 3 months. His playing weight is listed 206...with a lack of exercise and proper diet it's not too far of a stretch that he went down to 191. My grandma actually dated a Blues player in the early 70's(Ted Harris)and she says he claimed his weight would sometimes fluctuate 10lbs after games. Not sure if he was exaggerating as I never had the chance to meet him, but I wouldn't be surprised. Also, if Steen did in fact lose that much weight...I imagine a good deal of that would be water weight.
Fluctuating before and after games is almost totally losing water. You sweat A LOT (if you're not a floater!) Ha! Ha!

Every day, my morning weight is about 7 pounds less than my evening weight (it's all water). It's been like that since I've been about 13-14. That has nothing to do with average daily weight dropping drastically when one stops working out. Muscle weight disappears when you don't use your muscles. It's what would happen to astronauts on long space voyages. It's a problem scientists haven't been able to deal with. The only answer so far is to build it back up again, pound by pound.

Last edited by Robb_K: 03-18-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old
03-18-2012, 09:39 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Weight always fluctuates in games like Hockey, Lacrosse, and Football, but that is mostly due to water weight because of the excessive amounts of sweating.

A significant amount of weight will be lost because of surgeries, but that is because of the actual surgery.

Steen will lose some strength, just like anyone who isn't able to workout for more than 2 weeks. He won't necessarily lose a significant amount of muscle, but he will need at least a week to get his strength back, which it appears he is getting now.

Steen will lose water weight and fat, which he will have to get back to help retain water during games. A rough estimate for athletes is for them to be between 8% and 12% body fat, with 15% probably being the highest preferred.

I think as long as Steen is at 195, he should be just fine. He isn't the type of player to throw his body around, so I don't think it will be that big of a deal.

Old
03-18-2012, 09:42 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Fluctuating before and after games is almost totally losing water. You sweat A LOT (if you're not a floater!) Ha! Ha!
Lol exactly, I guess that means Chris Stewart only loses about 5lbs.

Old
03-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Weight always fluctuates in games like Hockey, Lacrosse, and Football, but that is mostly due to water weight because of the excessive amounts of sweating.

A significant amount of weight will be lost because of surgeries, but that is because of the actual surgery.

Steen will lose some strength, just like anyone who isn't able to workout for more than 2 weeks. He won't necessarily lose a significant amount of muscle, but he will need at least a week to get his strength back, which it appears he is getting now.

Steen will lose water weight and fat, which he will have to get back to help retain water during games. A rough estimate for athletes is for them to be between 8% and 12% body fat, with 15% probably being the highest preferred.

I think as long as Steen is at 195, he should be just fine. He isn't the type of player to throw his body around, so I don't think it will be that big of a deal.
I agree. I think that his starting a couple days ago, will allow him to get back to adecent strength level, by the time he's got his skating stride and wind back, and is ready to play again.

Old
03-18-2012, 09:50 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
I agree. I think that his starting a couple days ago, will allow him to get back to adecent strength level, by the time he's got his skating stride and wind back, and is ready to play again.
With all the talk today, I am a lot more optimistic about Steen returning, and even a return before the playoffs.

Doesn't skating and working out mean he is symptom free? If so, it should be interesting to see if he skates with the team or even practices with the team during the road trip.

Old
03-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
With all the talk today, I am a lot more optimistic about Steen returning, and even a return before the playoffs.

Doesn't skating and working out mean he is symptom free? If so, it should be interesting to see if he skates with the team or even practices with the team during the road trip.
Hitchcock stated that Steen will join the team in Anaheim Tuesday, and will probably skate with them. If he's been lifting weights and skating lightly and his symptoms haven't returned, he should be okay to workout with the team to test more. If that goes well, he can start accelerating the intensity.

Last edited by Robb_K: 03-19-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old
03-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Quote:

It probably means he hasn't had any symptoms for a little while. But they have to see if skating and working out bring symptoms. Skating could bring them back.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 10:00 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:

Hitchcock says he "feels great" so I imagine he is symptom free. Apparently he's already in Cali where he's been receiving hyperbaric chamber treatments, and will most likely skate with the team this week and return to St.Louis with them from the road trip.

Old
03-18-2012, 10:05 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

I wonder what it means when Hitchcock said he is feeling great. Hitchcock doesn't seem like someone who would say something like that, if he truly didn't mean it. Does it mean he is simply progressing, having no symptoms, or does he expect a relative imminent return.

Old
03-19-2012, 12:56 AM
BlueDream

I believe it was during a game telecast that Darren Pang was talking about it and said Steen told him he had lost 15 pounds.

Nobody just makes this up.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:09 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

In fairness, I don't think Hitchcock really spends all that much time obsessing about the details of Steen's recovery. When he was first injured, Hitchcock was a little bewildered when Steen's actions weren't matching the more optimistic prognosis Hitch seemed to think he had. Probably Steen told him he's been feeling great and Hitchcock was probably pleased to hear it, but until he's getting back up to speed in drills every day at practice and getting his conditioning back and there's been no regression for awhile, we're really just guessing.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:28 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
In fairness, I don't think Hitchcock really spends all that much time obsessing about the details of Steen's recovery. When he was first injured, Hitchcock was a little bewildered when Steen's actions weren't matching the more optimistic prognosis Hitch seemed to think he had. Probably Steen told him he's been feeling great and Hitchcock was probably pleased to hear it, but until he's getting back up to speed in drills every day at practice and getting his conditioning back and there's been no regression for awhile, we're really just guessing.
Yup and that's what makes it so frustrating as a fan. Can't imagine what i must be like for Steen. Hope he back soon

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:29 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 133
Quote:
You don't lose 15 pounds of muscle in that short of time.
I believe Andy McDonald lost something similar to this. He's still effective, but he talked about this in a recent interview. He feels the board battles are a little tougher.

I'll take a lighter Steen and his hockey sense in the post-season any day.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote