HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GM 72: Vancouver Canucks @ Minnesota Wild - Mar 19 - 5:00PM PST - SPAC

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2012, 12:56 AM
  #26
luongo321
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 10,016
vCash: 500
Lu playing in Minnesota. He better snap ot of his Minny funk. heh

luongo321 is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 01:01 AM
  #27
Cool Hand Goof*
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Victoria BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,527
vCash: 500
i hope the team comes up big for luos sake if he is in net

Cool Hand Goof* is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 01:03 AM
  #28
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theripper View Post
you guys are getting beyond obnoxious with this schneider crap. if you think hes better than luongo you dont know ****.
Sounds like you're the one being obnoxious here.

Shareefruck is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 01:05 AM
  #29
theripper
Registered User
 
theripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
so what youre saying is , people went into hiding when luongo was playing well? lol hm i wonder why they didn't criticize him when playing well. lol hm i wonder why they only call for schneider when luongo is playing badly. hmmmmmmm maybe play schneider when luongo isn't playing well and play luongo more when he is... its so crazy that it just might work. LOL
you dont get it. they went into hiding because their argument would look dumb when trying to push their agenda when he is playing excellent. they waited for an opportunity such as a few bad games to pounce. its like a sucker punch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
and maybe those fans criticize luongo because they dont like his up and down game and meltdowns in big playoff games and have a shorter leash for him? if so, its well deserved. people aren't going to be blind homers and accept lousy play. are they harder on someone who they expect more of, yes. if you dont understand peoples reasoning for any of this, you are completely clueless. i dont even agree and i find myself backing them up because the people who think they are just trolling or dont know what theyre talking about are just as annoying because i understand completely. though i choose the glass half full and think we can still win with his shortcomings because other goaltenders have shortcomings too. i just prefer to sit here and hope the coach knows when to go with another goaltender incase its not his night. and before the game is out of reach



i rather keep luongo than schneider because you know he'll give you a chance every year but even i can admit unlike most luongo fans, that he does infact meltdown. luongo doesn't rely on his quick reaction skills (hes got a crap glove hand), he doesn't rely on being quick on his feet, his lateral movement blows, he doesn't have good puck handling skills. what hes good at, is reading the plays and cutting down angles and covering alot of the net. he works off his d and his game depends on the d playing their game. if they dont play their game perfectly. hes typically pretty screwed.
give me a break. every goalie is screwed if the d mails it in. in the finals for example, he had 3 shutouts. i guarantee you if there wasnt this unfounded luongo hate ,any other goalie would be receiving praise for getting 3 shutouts in the finals when his team couldnt even score, instead of focusing on such a retarded argument that he let in 8 goals in a game. i seem to remember the last 3 or 4 goals came in the last few minutes in the game when every canucks player basically just stood there, or took a penalty, and were waiting for the clock to wind down. i also seem to remember, was it bob mckenzie who would pick luongo for conn smythe if the canucks were able to win the last game. thats basically saying he was the best player on the team in that series. please tell me who else at least gave them a chance to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
schneider plays his game, no matter what. sometimes its not quite as good but still good enough to win like the columbus game, but in the end, you know you'll get a certain level of play that doesn't depend so much on how the D play

maybe canuck fans feel more confident with that than a player who melts down with the D, over and over.

fans get on peoples cases for a reason, fans didn't make up this stuff. fans get on him when he plays poorly, fans give him a short leash because hes earned that short leash. the masses wouldn't think this if it weren't some truth to it.
maybe people are drawing conclusions with such a small sample size. scheniders played what, about 26 games this year. what is so impressive with these wins. alot of them were against bottom feeders or bad teams. pretty ordinary when you can pop in here and there and play a game always fresh. its not so much what schneider has done. its just hate.



Mar 17 COB W 4-3 its columbus
Mar 8 WPG W 3-2 out of playoff spot

Feb 24 @ NJD W 2-1 good win
Feb 19 @ EDM W 5-2 its edmonton
Feb 9 @ MIN W 5-2 its minnesota

Jan 31 CHI W 3-2 average win
Jan 10 @ TAM W 5-4 its tampa
Jan 7 @ BOS W 4-3 good win
Dec 29 @ ANA W 5-2 its anaheim
Dec 6 COL W 6-0 its colorado
Nov 29 COB W 4-1 bluejackets
Nov 26 @ SAN W 3-2 out of playoffs spot

Nov 25 @ PHO W 5-0 good win
Nov 23 @ COL W 3-0 again,colorado,whos fighting many teams for last spot
Nov 20 OTT W 2-1 good win
Oct 22 MIN W 3-2 its minnesota
Oct 10 @ COB W 3-2 blowjackets


lets put this guy in the playoffs who has won 12 of his 16 wins against the nhls bottom dwellers, instead of the guy who has been numerous times nominated and runner up for the vezina,has a gold medal,has one of the best save percentages since the lockout,had 3 shutouts in the stanley cup finals with absolutely no team support. get the **** out of here with that logic

theripper is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 01:06 AM
  #30
eklunds source
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ed Snider's basement
Posts: 7,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theripper View Post
different years,different teams, different players,different strategies. that record means nothing.
How often do you think Luongo played in Minnesota while he was with Florida and the Islanders?

The Canucks play in Minnesota 3 times a year (it was 4 times up until last season).. He's had the same coach his entire time here (same system), and very similar personnel.

Florida and the Islanders play in Minnesota once every 3 years.


All but 2 or 3 of Luongo's starts in Minnesota have been with the Canucks, and since Luongo joined the Canucks they've won the division 4 times in 5 years; they've had a good team most of the time he's been here.




I don't think he's necessarily 'bad' in Minnesota - the team has put up some real stinkers there, and I think the statistic about being bad in a particular arena doesn't have much weight; in such a small sample size every goaltender is guaranteed to be awful in one arena or another... but that said, it's not really different teams/systems/etc.

eklunds source is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 01:09 AM
  #31
eklunds source
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ed Snider's basement
Posts: 7,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theripper View Post
you dont get it. they went into hiding because their argument would look dumb when trying to push their agenda when he is playing excellent. they waited for an opportunity such as a few bad games to pounce. its like a sucker punch.



give me a break. every goalie is screwed if the d mails it in. in the finals for example, he had 3 shutouts. i guarantee you if there wasnt this unfounded luongo hate ,any other goalie would be receiving praise for getting 3 shutouts in the finals when his team couldnt even score, instead of focusing on such a retarded argument that he let in 8 goals in a game. i seem to remember the last 3 or 4 goals came in the last few minutes in the game when every canucks player basically just stood there, or took a penalty, and were waiting for the clock to wind down. i also seem to remember, was it bob mckenzie who would pick luongo for conn smythe if the canucks were able to win the last game. thats basically saying he was the best player on the team in that series. please tell me who else at least gave them a chance to win.



maybe people are drawing conclusions with such a small sample size. scheniders played what, about 26 games this year. what is so impressive with these wins. alot of them were against bottom feeders or bad teams. pretty ordinary when you can pop in here and there and play a game always fresh. its not so much what schneider has done. its just hate.



Mar 17 COB W 4-3 its columbus
Mar 8 WPG W 3-2 out of playoff spot

Feb 24 @ NJD W 2-1 good win
Feb 19 @ EDM W 5-2 its edmonton
Feb 9 @ MIN W 5-2 its minnesota

Jan 31 CHI W 3-2 average win
Jan 10 @ TAM W 5-4 its tampa
Jan 7 @ BOS W 4-3 good win
Dec 29 @ ANA W 5-2 its anaheim
Dec 6 COL W 6-0 its colorado
Nov 29 COB W 4-1 bluejackets
Nov 26 @ SAN W 3-2 out of playoffs spot

Nov 25 @ PHO W 5-0 good win
Nov 23 @ COL W 3-0 again,colorado,whos fighting many teams for last spot
Nov 20 OTT W 2-1 good win
Oct 22 MIN W 3-2 its minnesota
Oct 10 @ COB W 3-2 blowjackets


lets put this guy in the playoffs who has won 12 of his 16 wins against the nhls bottom dwellers, instead of the guy who has been numerous times nominated and runner up for the vezina,has a gold medal,has one of the best save percentages since the lockout,had 3 shutouts in the stanley cup finals with absolutely no team support. get the **** out of here with that logic
Terrible analysis. San Jose is pretty clearly a lot better than "out of playoffs spot" - in that November game, Schneider stopped 43 of 45 shots and was the games first star!

Tampa Bay might have trouble winning games, but they're also top-10 in offense.

I like your passion but you need to calm down and look at things from another perspective. It's also a lot more difficult when you're not playing games regularly - that doesn't make things easier.

You can't just discount those wins because they're not terrific teams.. On any night, any team can beat any other team, and Schneider has rarely had a bad game, and you can count on one hand how many bad goals he's let in. That's the best you can hope for from a backup, and there's a reason he'll be in high demand in this offseason. A LOT of teams would love him as their starter.

eklunds source is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 01:11 AM
  #32
stumper93
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Iowa
Country: United States
Posts: 222
vCash: 500
Well whoever is in goal, let's hope they can get a win!

I'll be there tomorrow night!

stumper93 is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 01:21 AM
  #33
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,118
vCash: 814
Won't be able to watch this one, Shouldn't miss much anyways.

Royal Canuck is online now  
Old
03-19-2012, 01:22 AM
  #34
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg
 
VinnyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 新香
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,883
vCash: 500
Luongo in Minnesota?

oh boy.

VinnyC is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 01:33 AM
  #35
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theripper View Post
you dont get it. they went into hiding because their argument would look dumb when trying to push their agenda when he is playing excellent. they waited for an opportunity such as a few bad games to pounce. its like a sucker punch.



give me a break. every goalie is screwed if the d mails it in. in the finals for example, he had 3 shutouts. i guarantee you if there wasnt this unfounded luongo hate ,any other goalie would be receiving praise for getting 3 shutouts in the finals when his team couldnt even score, instead of focusing on such a retarded argument that he let in 8 goals in a game. i seem to remember the last 3 or 4 goals came in the last few minutes in the game when every canucks player basically just stood there, or took a penalty, and were waiting for the clock to wind down. i also seem to remember, was it bob mckenzie who would pick luongo for conn smythe if the canucks were able to win the last game. thats basically saying he was the best player on the team in that series. please tell me who else at least gave them a chance to win.



maybe people are drawing conclusions with such a small sample size. scheniders played what, about 26 games this year. what is so impressive with these wins. alot of them were against bottom feeders or bad teams. pretty ordinary when you can pop in here and there and play a game always fresh. its not so much what schneider has done. its just hate.



Mar 17 COB W 4-3 its columbus
Mar 8 WPG W 3-2 out of playoff spot

Feb 24 @ NJD W 2-1 good win
Feb 19 @ EDM W 5-2 its edmonton
Feb 9 @ MIN W 5-2 its minnesota

Jan 31 CHI W 3-2 average win
Jan 10 @ TAM W 5-4 its tampa
Jan 7 @ BOS W 4-3 good win
Dec 29 @ ANA W 5-2 its anaheim
Dec 6 COL W 6-0 its colorado
Nov 29 COB W 4-1 bluejackets
Nov 26 @ SAN W 3-2 out of playoffs spot

Nov 25 @ PHO W 5-0 good win
Nov 23 @ COL W 3-0 again,colorado,whos fighting many teams for last spot
Nov 20 OTT W 2-1 good win
Oct 22 MIN W 3-2 its minnesota
Oct 10 @ COB W 3-2 blowjackets


lets put this guy in the playoffs who has won 12 of his 16 wins against the nhls bottom dwellers, instead of the guy who has been numerous times nominated and runner up for the vezina,has a gold medal,has one of the best save percentages since the lockout,had 3 shutouts in the stanley cup finals with absolutely no team support. get the **** out of here with that logic
And you're telling me what you're doing ISN'T pushing an agenda?

It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that Luongo doesn't receive flack simply because people hate him for no reason. Luongo has been both great and horrible in big games. Some fans have lost some confidence in him-- that's something that you can't disprove or rationalize, it's just a fact based on events that have happened in the past.

Schneider hasn't proven anything, obviously, but he's done nothing but inspire confidence in fans-- enough that some would be more comfortable seeing him than Luongo in a big game. Nobody knows whether or not this will be more fruitful, but different fans will feel differently about it. It's entirely justified. What's the big problem here? Why is it okay to push a pro-Luongo agenda but not a pro-Schneider one? There are clearly both positives and negatives about going forward with either scenario.

Discrediting Schneider's stats the way you are, you could just as easily flip your argument around and replace the advantage of being "fresh" with the disadvantage of being "rusty" and the disadvantage of "getting burned out playing more consecutive games" with the advantage of "getting into a groove/routine playing more consecutive games. It isn't logic or even an argument, it's just hate, perspective-skewing, and bias back in the opposite direction. You're 100% guilty of what you're complaining about.

Why be up in arms about some attitude people have when you're doing the exact same thing? I mean, come'on, get over yourself.

And heck, for the purpose of this singular game, there's no reason to think Schneider wouldn't be able to be as good as Luongo. This season, he's at least matched him save for save, even taking into account quality of opposition. It would be silly to debate this.

Edit: Anyone who points out Luongo's finals performance and argues "Look, 3 shutouts!" while ignoring his four awful games or vice versa are clearly not being impartial. If awful defense can be an excuse for his poor performances, then fantastic defense can be used to discredit his great performances. Luongo in the finals is the definition of inconsistency and a see-saw performance. One game he looks amazing and the next he looks awful. Noone should be using it as a demonstration of anything regarding how good or bad Luongo is. If anything, that performance is a sign of how frustrating he/our defense can be.


Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-19-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Shareefruck is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 02:40 AM
  #36
serge2k
Registered User
 
serge2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theripper View Post
you dont get it. they went into hiding because their argument would look dumb when trying to push their agenda when he is playing excellent. they waited for an opportunity such as a few bad games to pounce. its like a sucker punch.



give me a break. every goalie is screwed if the d mails it in. in the finals for example, he had 3 shutouts. i guarantee you if there wasnt this unfounded luongo hate ,any other goalie would be receiving praise for getting 3 shutouts in the finals when his team couldnt even score, instead of focusing on such a retarded argument that he let in 8 goals in a game. i seem to remember the last 3 or 4 goals came in the last few minutes in the game when every canucks player basically just stood there, or took a penalty, and were waiting for the clock to wind down. i also seem to remember, was it bob mckenzie who would pick luongo for conn smythe if the canucks were able to win the last game. thats basically saying he was the best player on the team in that series. please tell me who else at least gave them a chance to win.



maybe people are drawing conclusions with such a small sample size. scheniders played what, about 26 games this year. what is so impressive with these wins. alot of them were against bottom feeders or bad teams. pretty ordinary when you can pop in here and there and play a game always fresh. its not so much what schneider has done. its just hate.



Mar 17 COB W 4-3 its columbus
Mar 8 WPG W 3-2 out of playoff spot

Feb 24 @ NJD W 2-1 good win
Feb 19 @ EDM W 5-2 its edmonton
Feb 9 @ MIN W 5-2 its minnesota

Jan 31 CHI W 3-2 average win
Jan 10 @ TAM W 5-4 its tampa
Jan 7 @ BOS W 4-3 good win
Dec 29 @ ANA W 5-2 its anaheim
Dec 6 COL W 6-0 its colorado
Nov 29 COB W 4-1 bluejackets
Nov 26 @ SAN W 3-2 out of playoffs spot

Nov 25 @ PHO W 5-0 good win
Nov 23 @ COL W 3-0 again,colorado,whos fighting many teams for last spot
Nov 20 OTT W 2-1 good win
Oct 22 MIN W 3-2 its minnesota
Oct 10 @ COB W 3-2 blowjackets


lets put this guy in the playoffs who has won 12 of his 16 wins against the nhls bottom dwellers, instead of the guy who has been numerous times nominated and runner up for the vezina,has a gold medal,has one of the best save percentages since the lockout,had 3 shutouts in the stanley cup finals with absolutely no team support. get the **** out of here with that logic
2.

and 4 horrendous games.

serge2k is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 02:40 AM
  #37
flack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,366
vCash: 500
Minnesota lost 8 out of their last nine in regulation. We should win this.

flack is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 02:51 AM
  #38
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,278
vCash: 50
Well, looks like I'm going to bed at 5PM tomorrow. Should have lots of energy the next morning.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 03:03 AM
  #39
theripper
Registered User
 
theripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
And you're telling me what you're doing ISN'T pushing an agenda?

It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that Luongo doesn't receive flack simply because people hate him for no reason. Luongo has been both great and horrible in big games. Some fans have lost some confidence in him-- that's something that you can't disprove or rationalize, it's just a fact based on events that have happened in the past.
every great goalie has been great and horrible in big games. brodeur? roy? when you are good and can get to the big games frequently,you will have good ones and bad ones. even if luongo was perfect, you would then get the argument that its because of the team in front of him.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post

Schneider hasn't proven anything, obviously, but he's done nothing but inspire confidence in fans-- enough that some would be more comfortable seeing him than Luongo in a big game. Nobody knows whether or not this will be more fruitful, but different fans will feel differently about it. It's entirely justified. What's the big problem here? Why is it okay to push a pro-Luongo agenda but not a pro-Schneider one?
it isnt justified. wins over blue jackets and other basement dwellers doesnt mean much. putting it all on a guy with no notable achievements who's a coin toss is not just reckless,its idiotic.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Clearly the situation changes once the games become more important, but for the purpose of this one game, there's absolutely no reason to think Schneider wouldn't be able to be as good as Luongo against the Wild.

Discrediting Schneider's stats the way you are, you could just as easily flip your argument around and replace the advantage of being "fresh" with the disadvantage of being "rusty" and the disadvantage of "getting burned out playing more consecutive games" with the advantage of "getting into a groove/routine playing more consecutive games. It isn't logic or even an argument, it's just hate, perspective-skewing, and bias back in the opposite direction.
i'm not discrediting his stats. im writing facts. you seem impressed with wins over bluejackets,im not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Why be up in arms about some attitude people have when you're doing the exact same thing? I mean, come'on, get over yourself.
it isnt the same thing. one one side you have a goalie who hasnt played much at the nhl level,has no nhl noteable achievements,has most of his wins against weak teams, on the other hand you have a veteran goalie with olympic gold, has been in the vezina running numerous times,has one of the best save percentages post lockout,has been everywhere and was a game away from winning it all with 3 shutouts in the finals. forget the names at the back of the jersey. ask random people which option they would choose.they'd laugh in your face.

theripper is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 03:06 AM
  #40
ProstheticConscience
XTORT
 
ProstheticConscience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canuck Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,930
vCash: 500
Glad I'll be doing OT and will have to PVR this one. I can fast-forward through the 55 minutes of boredom.

Better bloody well win.

ProstheticConscience is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 03:29 AM
  #41
Kassassin
#TeamSchneider
 
Kassassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Burnaby
Country: Canada
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
I love your passion about Luongo, theripper and it's very rare nowadays to see someone actually defending him and putting up solid points

However, until he wins a cup, people will still be going him crap. Being nominated for awards and recording shutouts don't mean a thing until he wins a cup

That's the sad truth really.

Kassassin is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 03:36 AM
  #42
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
Minnesota lost 8 out of their last nine in regulation. We should win this.
Probably means we'll come out flat.

timw33 is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 04:31 AM
  #43
flack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Probably means we'll come out flat.
Can you let me stay positive please?

flack is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 04:32 AM
  #44
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,278
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassassin View Post
I love your passion about Luongo, theripper and it's very rare nowadays to see someone actually defending him and putting up solid points

However, until he wins a cup, people will still be going him crap. Being nominated for awards and recording shutouts don't mean a thing until he wins a cup

That's the sad truth really.
Even if he wins a Cup, I can still see it being directed against Luongo as he wasn't a key part to the winning of it. That's just how Luongo get's treated, and it's sad. A Cup would definitely silence most of his critics, but I'm sure there'd actually be people arguing Luongo was lucky to get a Cup, wasn't the frontrunner to get the Canucks there etc.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 05:16 AM
  #45
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theripper View Post
every great goalie has been great and horrible in big games. brodeur? roy? when you are good and can get to the big games frequently,you will have good ones and bad ones. even if luongo was perfect, you would then get the argument that its because of the team in front of him.
This isn't true, and it's silly to think it is. When Luongo plays great, everybody loves him-- fans are knowledgeable enough to give him the benefit of the doubt when he's working hard, battling, and coming out on the losing end or outplayed. You seem to be under this impression that everyone just hates Luongo and want to see him fail, for no reason in particular, just because they want to hate on him, when this couldn't be further from the truth. Give the fans a little bit of credit. Fans want the team to win, and if they truly felt that Luongo gave them the better chance to win, their support would reflect this.

Your argument that Luongo doesn't deserve blame for our collapses is perfectly fine and valid, but understand that this is separate from what you're arguing-- whenever you go one step further and complain about how "even if he played perfect hockey, fans would trash him", it just comes across as childish and kills the credibility of whatever you're arguing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theripper View Post
it isnt justified. wins over blue jackets and other basement dwellers doesnt mean much. putting it all on a guy with no notable achievements who's a coin toss is not just reckless,its idiotic. i'm not discrediting his stats. im writing facts. you seem impressed with wins over bluejackets,im not.
You're going all over the map here. Let's not act like Schneider has only played bottom-feeders, he's had plenty of fantastic games against tough teams who have played well-- sometimes he's even stood on his head against them. You feel that Luongo is still better and plays against tougher competition, that's fine, but downplaying Schneider's abilities and performances does nothing to help your case, and only serves to make you seem even more biased and obnoxious than you probably are.

If we didn't have Luongo and we were grooming Schneider to be the starter, fans would be excited to see how well he could do against tougher and tougher competition and with higher and higher stakes, and would be confident with him going forward even if we didn't know what his future capabilities would be. Just because Luongo is in the picture, doesn't mean we shouldn't be similarly confident in what Schneider can do, unproven though he may be. He's done nothing but inspire our confidence in him. Would you agree with this? That Schneider's play isn't the issue, but simply whether or not we should be MORE confident in Luongo?

The problem again is that you're acting like Luongo's past achievements make him the easy choice regardless of how the two are playing at any given time, when this is clearly the most important thing to take into consideration.

Hopefully, the distinction here is that you feel Luongo has played great, and there's no reason to be worried about him going forward, and not that even if he wasn't, he should still get the nod over Schneider based on reputation alone (right?).

If this is the case, you're simply going to have to accept that others don't share this same confidence in Luongo as you do, and conversely, ARE confident in Schneider's abilities moving forward. Maybe Luongo's a bit of a question mark, maybe he isn't-- THIS is where the disagreement stands. Either way, Schneider looks ready and there's no reason to doubt him. People who have no problems with Luongo's mental game will prefer to go with him, and people who are unsure about Luongo's mental game would rather go with Schneider. Both suggestions make sense and are reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theripper View Post
it isnt the same thing. one one side you have a goalie who hasnt played much at the nhl level,has no nhl noteable achievements,has most of his wins against weak teams, on the other hand you have a veteran goalie with olympic gold, has been in the vezina running numerous times,has one of the best save percentages post lockout,has been everywhere and was a game away from winning it all with 3 shutouts in the finals. forget the names at the back of the jersey. ask random people which option they would choose.they'd laugh in your face.
Go one step further and forget the names at the back of the jersey and also forget their resume and what they've done in the past, ask a random person to watch the two play on any given night (let's say against similar opposition) and see which option they choose. Either choice would be perfectly reasonable, and I'm sure you'd have just as many people answering Schneider as Luongo. If you watch the two play, it certainly isn't visibly apparent that Luongo's the superior goaltender, if anything, most people would say that Schneider 'looks' more steady.


Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-19-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Shareefruck is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 05:53 AM
  #46
Orca Smash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassassin View Post
I love your passion about Luongo, theripper and it's very rare nowadays to see someone actually defending him and putting up solid points

However, until he wins a cup, people will still be going him crap. Being nominated for awards and recording shutouts don't mean a thing until he wins a cup

That's the sad truth really.
Really....? go to the cdc, there are tons of fans like the ripper who believe lou can do no wrong and even openly claim to wanting schneider gone so lou's spot as number 1 is not threatened. You cannot say anything even remotely critical about him on there without legions blindly attacking you for no reason, or much like the ripper showed if you suggest schneider should start you get an obnoxious angry response for no reason.

Most of us want to win, and feel schneider gives us the best chance against minny.

What some blind lou supporters dont seem to get is the team comes before lou, not the other way around. Av will play who he feels gives us the best chance against minny, and the stats will show schneider, now maybe he will take into consideration other things, but all we know is lou has not played well in that building.


Last edited by Orca Smash: 03-19-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Orca Smash is online now  
Old
03-19-2012, 05:53 AM
  #47
Xamboni
BoVat Horseman
 
Xamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cascadia
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
Even if he wins a Cup, I can still see it being directed against Luongo as he wasn't a key part to the winning of it. That's just how Luongo get's treated, and it's sad. A Cup would definitely silence most of his critics, but I'm sure there'd actually be people arguing Luongo was lucky to get a Cup, wasn't the frontrunner to get the Canucks there etc.
There are always gonna be haters, just have to embrace the hate.

Xamboni is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 05:57 AM
  #48
Orca Smash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theripper View Post
every great goalie has been great and horrible in big games. brodeur? roy? when you are good and can get to the big games frequently,you will have good ones and bad ones. even if luongo was perfect, you would then get the argument that its because of the team in front of him.




it isnt justified. wins over blue jackets and other basement dwellers doesnt mean much. putting it all on a guy with no notable achievements who's a coin toss is not just reckless,its idiotic.

Im sorry but this is an insulting statement. So boston, new jersey, san jose, chicago, senators, are basement dwellers? You seen those wins in that list you posted.

He is playing better then lou, the stats tell us that right now. Lou has done more as he is older, and has played well in the past, but were discussing right now, and right now schneider has been playing extremely well with great numbers. He could become greater then lou, he could possibly never be as good as lou, we dont know. All we know is right now he has put up better numbers this season...against many top teams and teams lou himself has trouble with like minny.


Last edited by Orca Smash: 03-19-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Orca Smash is online now  
Old
03-19-2012, 08:02 AM
  #49
billvanseattle
Registered User
 
billvanseattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bellingham
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theripper View Post
it isnt the same thing. one one side you have a goalie who hasnt played much at the nhl level,has no nhl noteable achievements,has most of his wins against weak teams, on the other hand you have a veteran goalie with olympic gold, has been in the vezina running numerous times,has one of the best save percentages post lockout,has been everywhere and was a game away from winning it all with 3 shutouts in the finals. forget the names at the back of the jersey. ask random people which option they would choose.they'd laugh in your face.
You sadly seem to have a problem with others having an opinion other than yours. You make valid arguements; the people you are mindlessly insulting have opinions that are just as valid as yours. Personally, if I had a choice with which goalie to take right now for the money, it would be Schneider. In fact, I suspect he is going to get something like a 3 yr $10M deal, and would still think he is a better value than Luongo. If they were making the same money I would stick with Luongo.

And man up 5 or 6 years from now when Schneider is deemed to be a top 5 goalie in the league. Which I think he will be.

billvanseattle is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 09:41 AM
  #50
Pseudonymous
Registered User
 
Pseudonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
Same move here with a different result.
Oh I know, it's a great move. But its the only one hes ever done. I think he's a bit too far away from burying that move on the regular, would be nice for him to find a move he's currently able to bury

Pseudonymous is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.