HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking ahead. Playoff final standings, 1st and 2nd rounds.

Old
03-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by xifentoozlerix View Post
I would rather face the toughest matchup in the first round than in the fourth round....
Agreed, knowing you mean potential 3rd round match up.

What is more important, having an easier time making it to the second round or having an easier route to the finals?

Eventhough the Flyers aren't a healthy club right now, if they are going to have to play the Pens or Rangers, it might as well be in the first round. This team probably has a load of day-to-day injuries on it already and that's not going to be any better come round 2 or 3. I'd rather play the Pens in round 1 than in round 3, hope to beat them, and hope that there is another upset in the East to make the road to the finals easier.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 187
AND!

Jagr's old bones will be in better shape in round 1 where hopefully him and Max Talbot will be geeked out to play against their old club.

I bet Jags would light it up in Pittsburgh.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:16 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Screw #6 I want the #1.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 12:16 AM
PJStock*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Screw #6 I want the #1.
I think Winnipeg will sneak in as the 8th seed. Actually, I wouldn't want to play Winnipeg or the Washington. The Caps are struggling badly, but they have a lot of firepower. Who knows if that team can turn it on in the playoffs. Winnipeg just gives us fits every time we play them. Would rather play the Penguins or Rags.

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:10 AM
RussianRocket10

Only 2 points behind Pittsburgh and 3 behind the Rangers. Still a realistic shot at first in the conference. Never would have thought that before the season started.

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:31 AM
TheLegendkiller

I don't want first in the conference it always seems like the 1st seed is upsetted at some point in time in the playoffs.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:00 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
I don't want first in the conference it always seems like the 1st seed is upsetted at some point in time in the playoffs.
Yes... and it's precisely BECAUSE they are the first seed...

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:55 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I don't like what I saw from the Pitt game tonight. I wouldn't want them in the first round. JVR and Talbot are our only real injuries on offense (unless I'm forgetting someone), and they successfully held us without goals for two periods...and held us to two shots in the second. Their defense was dominant for much of that game. I think Pittsburgh is getting underrated in here.

03-19-2012, 03:04 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't like what I saw from the Pitt game tonight. I wouldn't want them in the first round. JVR and Talbot are our only real injuries on offense (unless I'm forgetting someone), and they successfully held us without goals for two periods...and held us to two shots in the second. Their defense was dominant for much of that game. I think Pittsburgh is getting underrated in here.
I agree with you. I think most of the Rags games have been much closer contests. Pit has had big moments of dominance against us.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 03:05 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I agree with you. I think most of the Rags games have been much closer contests. Pit has had big moments of dominance against us.
My turn to agree with you. In the Rangers games, it was often Lundy being awesome. For two periods today, Fleury wasn't even challenged.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 03:13 AM
PALE PWNR

Want no parts of the Rangers or Pitt. Rags have given us fits all year, and look at what Pitt did tonight, you think we can miraculously turn it around at least 4 times in a 7 game series like that, or better yet keep a healthy crosby off the score board? I don't. No thank you to either, I'll take the 1st seed and Home Ice all the way thru and hope there can be some upsets somewhere along the way, and if not at least have home ice against them.

What are people so afraid of in Winnipeg or Washington? I'd rather play either one of them over Florida. Florida is criminally underrated they've been playing good hockey all year and have a couple of guys who made their shiny new contracts they got in FLA in the playoffs. Washington perennially choke and still can't figure out their goaltending and to be quite honest winnipeg doesn't scare me. Sure Pavelec could steal a game maybe 2 but I can't see them matching up with us well.

Its practically impossible to go against the other teams and Im not sure I would want Boston whether they are playing poorly or not. Sens scare me a bit as well. The only one I feel confident against is NJ and who knows if the stars align and they make a run.

Old
03-19-2012, 03:55 AM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

dgaf, we'll role anyone in the east. LEGO.

If you can't tell I'm being SUPER confident

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 04:37 AM
John Flyers Fan

At this point we have a better chance of finishing 1st than dropping to the 6th spot.

Key us beating the Rangers in regulations, and taking 3 points from the Pens.

We should win any and all tiebreakers.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 04:54 AM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
At this point we have a better chance of finishing 1st than dropping to the 6th spot.

Key us beating the Rangers in regulations, and taking 3 points from the Pens.

We should win any and all tiebreakers.
Not only that the whole rest of this month are against non playoff or fringe playoff teams, besides Florida and Ottawa in the last game of the month. April is a guantlet bunch of games against pitt and nyr. We win most of our games this month than take a majority in April and we own the conference

Old
03-19-2012, 05:55 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

as much as i dread a first round playoff series against the rags or the pens, it's all but certain unless we catch the rags and pens and win the division. we can beat any team in the east if we stay healthy, but with rivalry match-ups coming early that's almost certainly not going to happen. it's not the worst thing in the world; the morale boost from bouncing a rival in the first round would be huge. if we can't beat them, we don't deserve the cup anyway.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStock View Post
I think Winnipeg will sneak in as the 8th seed. Actually, I wouldn't want to play Winnipeg or the Washington. The Caps are struggling badly, but they have a lot of firepower. Who knows if that team can turn it on in the playoffs. Winnipeg just gives us fits every time we play them. Would rather play the Penguins or Rags.
O please.... if our goaltending holds up and if we get our players back I would love to play any of the teams you mentioned in 1st and 2nd rounds instead of NY Rangers or Pens.

Caps & Jets? Really?

Last edited by Kaktus*: 03-19-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Icedog2735

I'll take this team against anyone in a 7 game series right now, of course if they continue their recent streak of play. And let's not forget that just because we might be "banged up" in a potential 3rd round matchup against the Pens (as some have said here in their preference to play them 1st round), I'm going to assume the Pens would come in banged up too. If we can play physical against teams like Pitt, NYR, and BOS and not mindlessly throw the puck around our own zone (Briere, Simmonds), I personally would give ourselves a chance against anyone in the East no matter what round.

Icedog2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Appleyard

I think the team has proven that is has the capability to beat anyone in this league so long as they play a 'decent' game, apart from the Rags, Pens and Bruins, I cannot see us losing a series to anyone else in the east.

Really hope we can get 1st overall so we don't have to face those teams until most probably the 3rd round.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't underrate the Pens, but I'm not scared of them either. What is the Flyer record vs. them in evening games this year?

I loved yesterday's game because it was another step on the learning curve for all our young players and esp. the 7 rookies we had in the lineup. Couturier played great vs. Malkin. Schenn was solid. Read is just good (horrible fail to clear with 90 secs left notwithstanding), Wellwood and Rinaldo both looked good too, and Gus and Manning played well on D vs. a top team - loved their composure with the puck.

All we need is Bryz to hold us in games like that and I can see the Flyers beating the Pens in a series this year. Let's hope they just peaked over the last few weeks, and that the Rangers peaked in January.

We need to get our injured guys back, because if you loved how Voracek was shredding the Pens with his speed, you'll love it even more with JVR doing it on the other side.

And add Meszaros, Kubina and Lilja to the D too, we were playing without two of the top 6....the Pens had their whole top 6 - which is a good solid group but not better than ours.

I don't know how it'll pan out. The Flyers have to beat the Rangers once and the Pens twice to win the Division - and even that won't guarantee it, but at least it's in their control. Win out and prosper.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:13 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Want no parts of the Rangers or Pitt. Rags have given us fits all year, and look at what Pitt did tonight, you think we can miraculously turn it around at least 4 times in a 7 game series like that, or better yet keep a healthy crosby off the score board? I don't. No thank you to either, I'll take the 1st seed and Home Ice all the way thru and hope there can be some upsets somewhere along the way, and if not at least have home ice against them.

What are people so afraid of in Winnipeg or Washington? I'd rather play either one of them over Florida. Florida is criminally underrated they've been playing good hockey all year and have a couple of guys who made their shiny new contracts they got in FLA in the playoffs. Washington perennially choke and still can't figure out their goaltending and to be quite honest winnipeg doesn't scare me. Sure Pavelec could steal a game maybe 2 but I can't see them matching up with us well.

Its practically impossible to go against the other teams and Im not sure I would want Boston whether they are playing poorly or not. Sens scare me a bit as well. The only one I feel confident against is NJ and who knows if the stars align and they make a run.
So you wont go as far as to say the Flyers can keep Crosby off the score sheet as they did yesterday, using that one game as your only example, but will use the pens dominance of 40 minutes as the indicator for a 7 game series?

Of course it is highly unlikely to keep him off the sheet, but just as unlikely as it would be for the Pens to dominate us the way they did for 40 minutes. And look no futher then the 3rd and OT last yesterday for evidence of that....

Give me whoever, this team can beat anybody, can lose to anybody. Whats important is the type of hockey they play when it matters, not who its against.

They will have to beat the best to go the distance, no sense 'hoping' for a weaker opponent from the get go as if it isnt going to get any tougher.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

They need to get healthy but they have a few weeks to do that.

The offensive depth combined a defense that now has a bit of a nasty snarling edge they have been missing since Pronger's injury with the addition of GrossmanN and Kubina, all solidifying around a goaltender who knows he can't be beat right now is a scary thing. This team can go toe to toe with anyone in the East right now in a 7 game series, the key is going to be getting healthy for long series which will be the case if we are in the 4/5 series playing either the Pens or Rags. The 1 seed is well within possibility and with three games remaining against those two teams, those are 6 points to take away from direct competition.

I'm going to be casually optimistic and say we take the 4 seed against the Penguins but I'm not cheering to get a 6th seed for a "more favorable" opponent. I don't care who we play, to win the cup, you have to beat the best at some point. We will have to play Pittsburgh or New York at some point down the road, get it done over with, and earn a short series like we did in 2010 with the Habs.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:02 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
So you wont go as far as to say the Flyers can keep Crosby off the score sheet as they did yesterday, using that one game as your only example, but will use the pens dominance of 40 minutes as the indicator for a 7 game series?

Of course it is highly unlikely to keep him off the sheet, but just as unlikely as it would be for the Pens to dominate us the way they did for 40 minutes. And look no futher then the 3rd and OT last yesterday for evidence of that....

Give me whoever, this team can beat anybody, can lose to anybody. Whats important is the type of hockey they play when it matters, not who its against.

They will have to beat the best to go the distance, no sense 'hoping' for a weaker opponent from the get go as if it isnt going to get any tougher.

This. The Pens are 1-2-1 against us so maybe their team just doesn't match up well.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
This. The Pens are 1-2-1 against us so maybe their team just doesn't match up well.
Do not let that record fool you.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Broad Street Elite

The 4th/5th seeds in the East probably have the toughest road to the SCF. It's probably what we'll face, so you just play it one game/series at a time, but consecutive hard fought, 6-7 game series to start the playoffs with an incredibly young team is a rough start. Then you could end up drawing the defending Champions in the EC Finals before the SC Finals.

Rough.

Should make for an intense playoffs for sure.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:00 PM
PJStock*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
O please.... if our goaltending holds up and if we get our players back I would love to play any of the teams you mentioned in 1st and 2nd rounds instead of NY Rangers or Pens.

Caps & Jets? Really?
Well gee, thanks, you just further reinforced my point about those matchups. You can't take any team lightly. You think they would just breeze through?

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote