HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Hockey Talk by Country
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Talk by Country Talk about the other countries that are playing the world's greatest game!

Talent level by league

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2012, 04:16 PM
  #26
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 6,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krotak View Post

My ranking would be something like this:

NHL
KHL
SEL / AHL
NLA / SM Liiga / Czech Extraliga
DEL
Slovak Extraliga / EBEL
VHL / Allsvenskan
ECHL / Denmark / Belarus
France / Italy / UK / Kazakhstan...
Very solid list.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:32 PM
  #27
Ferros
Registered User
 
Ferros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Sweden
Posts: 397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
NHL
KHL
Elitserien/SM-liiga
Swiss NLA/AHL
DEL/Czech EL/VHL/Allsvenskan
Austria/Slovakia/Mestis
ECHL / France / Italy / UK / Denmark / Norway

I think this is the best list so far.

Though I would rank Elitserien slightly higher than SM-Liiga.

KHL
Elitserien
NLA/AHL/SM-Liiga
DEL/Allsvenskan

Those are, imo, the top leagues in Europe. Don't really know that much about VHL so I'm not going to rank them.

Ferros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 07:12 AM
  #28
Latex*
DM is good
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helsinki,Helsingfors
Posts: 5,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
I know, I don't get it. I'd rank them with SEL or just barely below. Ranking them with DEL is just wrong.
I'd say Elitserien is clearly (well maybe not that clearly, but still) the better league of the two, but SM-Liiga would be better than the other European leagues, on par with the AHL.

Like:

NHL

KHL

Elitserien

SM-Liiga/AHL
(Only a small gap here)
NLA
The rest...


Last edited by Latex*: 03-03-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:56 AM
  #29
Krotak
is the Legend
 
Krotak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 587
vCash: 500
Lol at all northern Europeans ranking Czech Extraliga and Slovak Extraliga so low .

Krotak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:31 AM
  #30
cheerupmurray
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krotak View Post
Lol at all northern Europeans ranking Czech Extraliga and Slovak Extraliga so low .
No disrespect but is the slovakian league really any good?

The Czech Extraliga deserves better credit than what they go so far in this thread though.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:00 AM
  #31
HC Bienne
@llopesso19
 
HC Bienne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bienne, Swiss
Country: Portugal
Posts: 539
vCash: 500
1. NHL
2. KHL
3. SEL
4. SM-LIGA/NLA/AHL
7. CZEECH EL/DEL

9. AUSTRIA/SLOVAK EXTRA LIGA/ Allsvenskan/VHL

13.ECHL/MESTIS/LNB(more stronger than french, dannish, Norwegian or italien league)

HC Bienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 05:51 AM
  #32
Agrafagr*
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Argentina
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Agrafagr*
- respect

my respect to you ))

Agrafagr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 03:59 PM
  #33
connor macdavid
Press Box Rat
 
connor macdavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,350
vCash: 400
North American Bias guys...we all suffer from it. THis is the DEFINITIVE list:
1) NHL - Still the league with the best coaching, facilities, and above all, players.

2) KHL (Russia) - Since its inception in 2008, the KHL has been steadily gaining on the NHL for the title of Best League in the World. While it's still quite a ways off the overall caliber of the NHL, teams like St. Petersburg and Chelyabinsk could probably compete with NHL-level competition. However, in contrast with those caliber teams, teams like Yekaterinburg and Chekhov, who are 10, 15 points in last place, really detract from the overall calibre of the league.

3) SEL (Sweden) - The Elitserien is still the best singular nation league (All teams in one country). When people try to convince me the American Hockey League is better than the SEL, I simply tell them to look at the elite players in the NHL, and of those players, how many were nurtured in the AHL, and how many were developed in the Elitserien. Pretty sure the talent per player ratio is higher in SEL-developed players than AHL-developed players. Also has a lot of draft-and-follows as well as signable prospects (Jakob Silfverberg, Robert Rosén, Richard Gynge).

4) AHL (North America) - While I had qualms about putting the league ahead of a few European circuits, it is still seen as the premier development league in the world in the eyes of many North American scouts.

5) SM Liiga (Finland) - Finland's top flight is pretty much tied with Germany's but I gave the SM Liiga the leg up on zee Deutsche because of the success of Finland's national team as opposed to Germany's, as well as the reduced number of imports in the Finnish league (better homegrown, developed players) and the number of Finns in the NHL (30, as opposed to Germany's 9).

6) DEL (Germany) - Still a great league with a lot of talent, just not the same domestic development as Finland, Sweden or Russia. A lot of over-the-hill North Americans (or career minor leaguers for that matter) can still stand out in this league, whereas they can't make a team in the SEL or KHL (i.e. John Tripp).

7) Extraliga (Czech Rep.) - Lots of NHL talent floating around in this league, most of it old and over-the-hill Czech guys. Very few high-end talented imports in this league.

8) NLA (Switzerland) - I love this league to bits and I love watching the Spengler Cup (Who doesn't? ) , but there just isn't a lot of high-end talent.

FULL LEAGUE LIST
1) NHL
2) KHL
3) Swedish
4) American
5) Finnish
6) German
7) Czech
8) Swiss
9) Slovak
10) Danish
11) English
12) Slovenian
13) Italian
14) French
15) Belgian
16) EVERYTHING ELSE (Portugal, Spain, Armenia, Iceland, etc...)

connor macdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 05:56 AM
  #34
Mirinho
Registered User
 
Mirinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
well ... hmm - interesting rankings

especialy NA friends - don't lie! and write us how many czech/slovak/german/austrian league matches have you ever seen?

Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 07:25 AM
  #35
Mathradio
Drive for 25
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinho View Post
well ... hmm - interesting rankings

especialy NA friends - don't lie! and write us how many czech/slovak/german/austrian league matches have you ever seen?
I never saw any actual games from those leagues...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 07:29 AM
  #36
Maverick41
Registered User
 
Maverick41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,483
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopanthersgo View Post
North American Bias guys...we all suffer from it. THis is the DEFINITIVE list:
1) NHL - Still the league with the best coaching, facilities, and above all, players.

2) KHL (Russia) - Since its inception in 2008, the KHL has been steadily gaining on the NHL for the title of Best League in the World. While it's still quite a ways off the overall caliber of the NHL, teams like St. Petersburg and Chelyabinsk could probably compete with NHL-level competition. However, in contrast with those caliber teams, teams like Yekaterinburg and Chekhov, who are 10, 15 points in last place, really detract from the overall calibre of the league.

3) SEL (Sweden) - The Elitserien is still the best singular nation league (All teams in one country). When people try to convince me the American Hockey League is better than the SEL, I simply tell them to look at the elite players in the NHL, and of those players, how many were nurtured in the AHL, and how many were developed in the Elitserien. Pretty sure the talent per player ratio is higher in SEL-developed players than AHL-developed players. Also has a lot of draft-and-follows as well as signable prospects (Jakob Silfverberg, Robert Rosén, Richard Gynge).

4) AHL (North America) - While I had qualms about putting the league ahead of a few European circuits, it is still seen as the premier development league in the world in the eyes of many North American scouts.

5) SM Liiga (Finland) - Finland's top flight is pretty much tied with Germany's but I gave the SM Liiga the leg up on zee Deutsche because of the success of Finland's national team as opposed to Germany's, as well as the reduced number of imports in the Finnish league (better homegrown, developed players) and the number of Finns in the NHL (30, as opposed to Germany's 9).

6) DEL (Germany) - Still a great league with a lot of talent, just not the same domestic development as Finland, Sweden or Russia. A lot of over-the-hill North Americans (or career minor leaguers for that matter) can still stand out in this league, whereas they can't make a team in the SEL or KHL (i.e. John Tripp).

7) Extraliga (Czech Rep.) - Lots of NHL talent floating around in this league, most of it old and over-the-hill Czech guys. Very few high-end talented imports in this league.

8) NLA (Switzerland) - I love this league to bits and I love watching the Spengler Cup (Who doesn't? ) , but there just isn't a lot of high-end talent.

FULL LEAGUE LIST
1) NHL
2) KHL
3) Swedish
4) American
5) Finnish
6) German
7) Czech
8) Swiss
9) Slovak
10) Danish
11) English
12) Slovenian
13) Italian
14) French
15) Belgian
16) EVERYTHING ELSE (Portugal, Spain, Armenia, Iceland, etc...)
I have not seen many games of most of these leagues, so I'll stick to the ones I have seen.

The Swiss League NLA is definitely better than the DEL, although the gap seems smaller than a few years ago, and I think the Czech league might be as well, but I am not sure, because I have never seen a game of this league.

One league you forgot ist the Austrain league which should be better at least than some of the leagues you have ranked 11th - 15th

Maverick41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:12 AM
  #37
HC Bienne
@llopesso19
 
HC Bienne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bienne, Swiss
Country: Portugal
Posts: 539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonsOnIce96 View Post
North American Bias guys...we all suffer from it. THis is the DEFINITIVE list:
1) NHL - Still the league with the best coaching, facilities, and above all, players.

2) KHL (Russia) - Since its inception in 2008, the KHL has been steadily gaining on the NHL for the title of Best League in the World. While it's still quite a ways off the overall caliber of the NHL, teams like St. Petersburg and Chelyabinsk could probably compete with NHL-level competition. However, in contrast with those caliber teams, teams like Yekaterinburg and Chekhov, who are 10, 15 points in last place, really detract from the overall calibre of the league.

3) SEL (Sweden) - The Elitserien is still the best singular nation league (All teams in one country). When people try to convince me the American Hockey League is better than the SEL, I simply tell them to look at the elite players in the NHL, and of those players, how many were nurtured in the AHL, and how many were developed in the Elitserien. Pretty sure the talent per player ratio is higher in SEL-developed players than AHL-developed players. Also has a lot of draft-and-follows as well as signable prospects (Jakob Silfverberg, Robert Rosén, Richard Gynge).

4) AHL (North America) - While I had qualms about putting the league ahead of a few European circuits, it is still seen as the premier development league in the world in the eyes of many North American scouts.

5) SM Liiga (Finland) - Finland's top flight is pretty much tied with Germany's but I gave the SM Liiga the leg up on zee Deutsche because of the success of Finland's national team as opposed to Germany's, as well as the reduced number of imports in the Finnish league (better homegrown, developed players) and the number of Finns in the NHL (30, as opposed to Germany's 9).

6) DEL (Germany) - Still a great league with a lot of talent, just not the same domestic development as Finland, Sweden or Russia. A lot of over-the-hill North Americans (or career minor leaguers for that matter) can still stand out in this league, whereas they can't make a team in the SEL or KHL (i.e. John Tripp).

7) Extraliga (Czech Rep.) - Lots of NHL talent floating around in this league, most of it old and over-the-hill Czech guys. Very few high-end talented imports in this league.

8) NLA (Switzerland) - I love this league to bits and I love watching the Spengler Cup (Who doesn't? ) , but there just isn't a lot of high-end talent.

FULL LEAGUE LIST
1) NHL
2) KHL
3) Swedish
4) American
5) Finnish
6) German
7) Czech
8) Swiss
9) Slovak
10) Danish
11) English
12) Slovenian
13) Italian
14) French
15) Belgian
16) EVERYTHING ELSE (Portugal, Spain, Armenia, Iceland, etc...)
you have by far the best hockey on the planet. no argument in that. but you should't be aloud to talk about europeen hockey. that is a ridiculous list.

portugal? c'mon man. there are no ice rink hockey to play portugal.

HC Bienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:49 AM
  #38
Ro Herregraven
Dutch hockey nut
 
Ro Herregraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsonice96 View Post
full league list
1) nhl
2) khl
3) swedish
4) american
5) finnish
6) german
7) czech
8) swiss
9) slovak
10) danish
11) english
12) slovenian
13) italian
14) french
15) belgian
16) everything else (portugal, spain, armenia, iceland, etc...)
hahahahahahaha!!!

Ro Herregraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:11 PM
  #39
CanucksBen
Registered User
 
CanucksBen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 82
vCash: 500
NHL
The rest

CanucksBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:54 PM
  #40
Latgale_fan
Registered User
 
Latgale_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
1. NHL
2. KHL
3. Elitserien
4. SM Liiga
5. AHL
6. NLA
7. DEL
8. Czech
9. Allsvenskan
10. Slovak
11. VHL
12. EBEL
13. Mestis
14. Belarus
15. OHL, QMJHL, WHL
16. MHL, USHL
17. ECHL
18. France
19. Denmark
20. England
21. Italy
22. Kazakhstan
23. Norway


Last edited by Latgale_fan: 03-21-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:35 PM
  #41
IIHFjerseycollector
Registered User
 
IIHFjerseycollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix , AZ
Country: North Korea
Posts: 744
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to IIHFjerseycollector
you really think the italian league is that low eh?

IIHFjerseycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:41 PM
  #42
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 18,344
vCash: 500
I personally don't think the talent level in Elitserien is good enough to be put on a level above SM-Liiga, and I'd put AHL and maybe put NLA with them, too. Maybe if we include all the NHL prospects around, but most of them don't play significant roles in the league. It's the depth that makes Elitserien the second best league in Europe, not the top end talent.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:02 AM
  #43
Hege
Rookie User
 
Hege's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
NHL
KHL
Finnish SML/SEL
DEL/Swiss NLA
AHL
Czech extraliga /Allsvenskan
Slovak / Mestis
...
...
...
The list goes on.

I think the situation with Swedish Elitserien and the Finnish SM-Liiga has been quite even during the last few years. The top teams in Finland are slightly better than those in Sweden, but when you look at the whole league in general you can see that the teams in the Swedish league are much more even, while in Finland the worse teams can't really compete against the top teams.

Because of this I would say that the Elitserien is a little better than the SM-Liiga.

this is what I mean...

The second last team in the Elitserien this year was Djurgĺrden, while in SM-Liiga it was HPK. I dare to say that Djurgĺrden would easily be the winner of this match.

Then again top teams such as HIFK and Jokerit, maybe also Kalpa or Jyp could probably beat any team in the Elitserien. This is my opinion

The top teams are quite even in both leagues, with a slight advantage to the SM-Liiga, whereas the bottom teams are easily a lot stronger on the Swedish side.

*Yes I did consider the fact that Elitserien has 12 teams, while SM-Liiga has 14...

Hege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:07 AM
  #44
Hege
Rookie User
 
Hege's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
It's interesting how the Allsvenskan is so much better than the Finnish Mestis, when the Elite leagues don't show that great of a difference at all.

This probably tells us something about Finland as a Hockey country.

Hege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:32 PM
  #45
cheerupmurray
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hege View Post
It's interesting how the Allsvenskan is so much better than the Finnish Mestis, when the Elite leagues don't show that great of a difference at all.

This probably tells us something about Finland as a Hockey country.
It got to have to do with the following things:

Better talent development a number of years in Sweden than in Finland, especially depthwise.
A lot more importplayers in Sweden than in Finland (which raises the quality).
Teams in Allsvenskan have good income from sponsors, audience and tv-contracts, Mestis clubs don't have the same kind of budget.
14 teams in SM-liiga vs 12 in Elitserien, Sm-liiga clubs have bigger roosters than Elitserie ones (leads to more quality players in the second tier)
Loads of players have reached Elitserien from Allsvenskan which makes it a much more attractive league to play in than Mestis (that don't export the same amounts to SM-liiga).

Sm-liiga was closed for a while which rally hurt Mestis I imagine.

BTW I don't think Allsvenskan is as good as Czech extraliga at all.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 04:59 PM
  #46
Latex*
DM is good
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helsinki,Helsingfors
Posts: 5,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
It got to have to do with the following things:

Better talent development a number of years in Sweden than in Finland, especially depthwise.
A lot more importplayers in Sweden than in Finland (which raises the quality).
Teams in Allsvenskan have good income from sponsors, audience and tv-contracts, Mestis clubs don't have the same kind of budget.
14 teams in SM-liiga vs 12 in Elitserien, Sm-liiga clubs have bigger roosters than Elitserie ones (leads to more quality players in the second tier)
Loads of players have reached Elitserien from Allsvenskan which makes it a much more attractive league to play in than Mestis (that don't export the same amounts to SM-liiga).

Sm-liiga was closed for a while which rally hurt Mestis I imagine.

BTW I don't think Allsvenskan is as good as Czech extraliga at all.
Bigger... roosters?

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:23 PM
  #47
Kiraly
Registered User
 
Kiraly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Posts: 2,931
vCash: 500
I imagine some of the Finnish players, especially the smaller ones, find the giant roosters somewhat intimidating and are much more tentative as a result. I'm sure this has a detrimental effect on the on-ice quality in the SM-Liiga.

Kiraly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 03:53 PM
  #48
Malchance
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
1.NHL
2.KHL
3.SEL
4. SM-Liga/Czech ELH/AHL
5. Swiss NLA/DEL
6.Slovak ELH
7. EBEL
8. Italy/France
...

Malchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 05:26 PM
  #49
Tomas W
Registered User
 
Tomas W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonsOnIce96 View Post
North American Bias guys...we all suffer from it. THis is the DEFINITIVE list:
1) NHL - Still the league with the best coaching, facilities, and above all, players.

2) KHL (Russia) - Since its inception in 2008, the KHL has been steadily gaining on the NHL for the title of Best League in the World. While it's still quite a ways off the overall caliber of the NHL, teams like St. Petersburg and Chelyabinsk could probably compete with NHL-level competition. However, in contrast with those caliber teams, teams like Yekaterinburg and Chekhov, who are 10, 15 points in last place, really detract from the overall calibre of the league.

3) SEL (Sweden) - The Elitserien is still the best singular nation league (All teams in one country). When people try to convince me the American Hockey League is better than the SEL, I simply tell them to look at the elite players in the NHL, and of those players, how many were nurtured in the AHL, and how many were developed in the Elitserien. Pretty sure the talent per player ratio is higher in SEL-developed players than AHL-developed players. Also has a lot of draft-and-follows as well as signable prospects (Jakob Silfverberg, Robert Rosén, Richard Gynge).

4) AHL (North America) - While I had qualms about putting the league ahead of a few European circuits, it is still seen as the premier development league in the world in the eyes of many North American scouts.

5) SM Liiga (Finland) - Finland's top flight is pretty much tied with Germany's but I gave the SM Liiga the leg up on zee Deutsche because of the success of Finland's national team as opposed to Germany's, as well as the reduced number of imports in the Finnish league (better homegrown, developed players) and the number of Finns in the NHL (30, as opposed to Germany's 9).

6) DEL (Germany) - Still a great league with a lot of talent, just not the same domestic development as Finland, Sweden or Russia. A lot of over-the-hill North Americans (or career minor leaguers for that matter) can still stand out in this league, whereas they can't make a team in the SEL or KHL (i.e. John Tripp).

7) Extraliga (Czech Rep.) - Lots of NHL talent floating around in this league, most of it old and over-the-hill Czech guys. Very few high-end talented imports in this league.

8) NLA (Switzerland) - I love this league to bits and I love watching the Spengler Cup (Who doesn't? ) , but there just isn't a lot of high-end talent.

FULL LEAGUE LIST
1) NHL
2) KHL
3) Swedish
4) American
5) Finnish
6) German
7) Czech
8) Swiss
9) Slovak
10) Danish
11) English
12) Slovenian
13) Italian
14) French
15) Belgian
16) EVERYTHING ELSE (Portugal, Spain, Armenia, Iceland, etc...)
Norway?

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 05:32 PM
  #50
cutchemist42
Registered User
 
cutchemist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
Should the NCAA be considered?

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.