HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What snipers should we seek BESIDES Parise?

Old
03-17-2012, 01:53 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
All I'm saying is nobody over the age of 31... please.
Why? A veteran scorer would be a nice acquisition.

03-17-2012, 07:18 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Agree that Parise isn't a sniper per se. He's a very smart--on the small side--hard working winger who crashes the net--more likely to get dirty goals than clean ones.

Not saying the Rangers won't get him as an UFA but i have a lot of doubt about it. I don't think we'll get Ryan or Nash either--mainly because I think they'll cost too much.

Whitney is too old and Boyes sucks. Rangers offensive stats would be a lot better if they had a better pwp. That might happen sticking with what we have now and adding someone like Suter or someone with a big shot that can play pwp point.

Final analysis though--no matter what we don't have the talent of a healthy Penguins team. We have to close the gap with them in another way. And that will require a commitment to defense.
Can't play much better D then presently, generally speaking.

No, sorry IMO we need to reverse that gap; the question is how, with who, at what cost?

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 07:34 PM
bernmeister

My thanks to everyone for reply posts to date.
Sorry have not had a chance to respond personally to more.
Will try to do so over the coming weeks.

I note that:
We are talking about the usual suspects = Nash + Ryan.
I appreciate that.

What I had in mind was any suggestions of good fit names we are overlooking?
For example, there is discussion that Radulov may be returning. I know he's RW and we'd prefer left at the moment, but he could be a fit.

Shout out to Fitz on Kosteityn.

Who else, let's think outside the box besides the obvious...

Many thanks.

As to Suter, not expecting he's leaving Nashville for sure. Still that's a good point.
At the risk of offending a handful of you, I would say IF we get Suter, and given the potential upside of our other D, I would consider Girardi our prime trading chip (close, but prefer to keep Staal).

Suter is not the dominant shot of Chara, Weber, etc. but seems to get the job done and would be helpful, especially as to PP.

But we'd need at least 1 other actual sniper, regardless of Parise

Keep it coming, thanks...

Old
03-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

vCash: 50
At this point, just get rid of Bickel and I'll be happy.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 03:19 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
My thanks to everyone for reply posts to date.
Sorry have not had a chance to respond personally to more.
Will try to do so over the coming weeks.

I note that:
We are talking about the usual suspects = Nash + Ryan.
I appreciate that.

What I had in mind was any suggestions of good fit names we are overlooking?
For example, there is discussion that Radulov may be returning. I know he's RW and we'd prefer left at the moment, but he could be a fit.

Shout out to Fitz on Kosteityn.

Who else, let's think outside the box besides the obvious...

Many thanks.

As to Suter, not expecting he's leaving Nashville for sure. Still that's a good point.
At the risk of offending a handful of you, I would say IF we get Suter, and given the potential upside of our other D, I would consider Girardi our prime trading chip (close, but prefer to keep Staal).

Suter is not the dominant shot of Chara, Weber, etc. but seems to get the job done and would be helpful, especially as to PP.

But we'd need at least 1 other actual sniper, regardless of Parise

Keep it coming, thanks...
Not offended, But IMO I keep Girardi. He's proved himself a beast without Staal. Him and McD were (they're burned out now) great

TCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 10:38 PM
wafflepadsave

Couple players I would like to hear people talk about are:
Ryan Clowe, Curtis Glencross, and Brenden Morrow. All of them would bring some dynamics that the rangers do not have.

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 10:42 PM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
I have my heart set on Parise or Bobby Ryan, but I'd like Pavelski, I'd trade away Dubi and a pick to get him. Maybe even a prospect

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:07 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Why? A veteran scorer would be a nice acquisition.
Because I want someone who can stay here for a while with less of a risk of sustaining an injury because of age and less of a chance of falling out of their prime. I know players aged 30-40 CAN STILL play damn well but I just think someone under let's say 31-33 would be ideal. We don't need no bad knees on this shiz!

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 05:50 AM
Dfence033

Earlier this year, I was on board with pursuing Zack Parise. But the more I look at next year's UFA class, the more I'm hesitating to head down that road. Parise is a hell of a player, and would certainly do wonders for this team, but with the uncertain nature of the new CBA looming, I don't like the idea of handing out another retirement contract. Some of the possibilities from next years class:

C: Ryan Getzlaf, Jordan Staal, Derek Roy, Travis Zajac, Stephen Weiss
W: Corey Perry, Nathan Horton, Teddy Purcell, Troy Brouwer
D: Tobias Enstrom, Alexander Edler, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Anton Babchuk

Personally, I'd visit trading for players on teams that are up against it next year. Ducks will have issues getting Getzlaf and Perry signed while replacing Selanne and depth and staying in a budget. The Bruins are going to be in trouble with Seguin, Marchand, Horton, and Lucic. Canucks could have issues with Edler and Burrows. Penguins will have trouble with Cooke, Staal, Crosby, and Kennedy. The Canadians could be quite up against it with Patches, given all the FA they have to sign this year (12 RFA's, 4 UFA's this year, 3 more RFA's next year including Patches). Oilers could have issues filling out a roster around the same time as Eberle/Hall's ELCs are up.

I'd be content to sign a few one-year stop-gaps and see what shakes out. Roll something like:

Boyes-Richards-Gaborik
Hagelin-Stepan-Callahan
Kreider-Wellwood-Ponikarovski
Prust-Rupp-Boyle
Fedotenko

Staal-Girardi
McD-MdZ
Erixon-Stralman
Eminger

Use Anisimov and Dubinsky to maneuver around in the draft, or as chips for trading for the 2013 FA's. Staal can be used as a trade chip (especially if the Rangers can land Schultz). McIlrath, McColgan, Thomas, and St. Croix can be added.

2013:
Kreider-Getzlaf-Gaborik
Pacioretty/Trade/Etc-Richards-Callahan
Hagelin-Stepan-Miller
XXX-Rupp-Boyle
Fasth/Yogan possibilities

MdZ-Girardi
McD-Schultz
Erixon-Sauer (?)

You all wanted youth movements, well, there it is. Average age would be around 26-27 years old. Homegrown youth, solid veteran leadership, continued infusion of Rangers draft choices, and a team 3 scoring lines deep to play in front of a solid 6-deep defense and the King, with minimal FA additions.

Last edited by Dfence033: 03-19-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Dfence033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 06:06 AM
Dfence033

Imagine if Columbus IS shopping their 1st this year (Yakupov). Rangers trade Staal, Dubinsky/Anisimov, McIlrath, and a 1st for it (or whatever that package they were asking for Rick Nash was).

2013 could look like:
Yakupov-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Dubinsky/Anisimov-Miller
XXX-Boyle-Rupp

MDZ-Girardi
MCD-Erixon
Sauer-Stralman

And that's without signing a single free-agent (even if Dubinsky stays in favor of Anisimov, this would still give the Rangers about 10-11 million dollars of cap-space if Kreider and Yakupov got max bonus deals and that 4th line spot is taken by a $1 million player, with Stepan, Hagelin, Erixon, Sauer, and McD being the only free-agents to resign in the next season). There are just too many options available for next year, when a CBA will be officially worked out (no concerns over cap going from 70 mil to a cutback within months), and too many elite-level FA available. Pass on Parise (my bet is on Nashville, for a variety of reasons, anyway), see what the draft and new CBA brings first. Don't trade the farm for $7.8 million Rick Nash. I don't care what he MIGHT be in another system with "real" players. If we are selling off that much, I want a cost-controlled 18 year old on an ELC, not an extremely expensive 65 point winger. Sign a few fillers if you have to, target guys like Justin Schultz otherwise, and keep it going with what they have. I know it's a "long way off," but now is the time to start setting the team up for that summer of 2014. That's going to be a killer unless they can make some shrewd moves now.

Last edited by Dfence033: 03-19-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Dfence033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfence033 View Post
Imagine if Columbus IS shopping their 1st this year (Yakupov). Rangers trade Staal, Dubinsky/Anisimov, McIlrath, and a 1st for it (or whatever that package they were asking for Rick Nash was).

2013 could look like:
Yakupov-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Dubinsky/Anisimov-Miller
XXX-Boyle-Rupp

MDZ-Girardi
MCD-Erixon
Sauer-Stralman

And that's without signing a single free-agent (even if Dubinsky stays in favor of Anisimov, this would still give the Rangers about 10-11 million dollars of cap-space if Kreider and Yakupov got max bonus deals and that 4th line spot is taken by a $1 million player, with Stepan, Hagelin, Erixon, Sauer, and McD being the only free-agents to resign in the next season). There are just too many options available for next year, when a CBA will be officially worked out (no concerns over cap going from 70 mil to a cutback within months), and too many elite-level FA available. Pass on Parise (my bet is on Nashville, for a variety of reasons, anyway), see what the draft and new CBA brings first. Don't trade the farm for $7.8 million Rick Nash. I don't care what he MIGHT be in another system with "real" players. If we are selling off that much, I want a cost-controlled 18 year old on an ELC, not an extremely expensive 65 point winger. Sign a few fillers if you have to, target guys like Justin Schultz otherwise, and keep it going with what they have. I know it's a "long way off," but now is the time to start setting the team up for that summer of 2014. That's going to be a killer unless they can make some shrewd moves now.
Id imagine the bolded is what Columbus wants too, which is why they were shopping Nash in the first place.

Acquiring Nash is something that is possible. Acquiring the #1 pick from a rebuilding Columbus team is pure fantasy.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 08:30 AM
JanErixon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Best option---> Sign Parise, Trade Dubinsky at the draft (probably not in that order )'

2nd best option---> Trade for Rick Nash

3rd best option---> Trade for Bobby Ryan (imho, will cost more than nash, hes younger, better contract, and can't dictate where he is going to.

4th best option---> Stand pat. Least desireable of these choices, but the Rangers shouldnt make a panic Kotalik type move. imho, its Parise, Nash, Ryan or bust this summer. if we cant get any of those 3, dont sign ANYONE. go even younger.
Agree 100%.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 08:32 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfence033 View Post
Parise is a hell of a player, and would certainly do wonders for this team, but with the uncertain nature of the new CBA looming, I don't like the idea of handing out another retirement contract.
Parise would not be a retirement contract, but I doubt the team can afford another $6m contract without being in cap hell. The team is going to have to (and I believe that they can) improve organically. With over 45% of the cap taken up by Gaborik, Richards & Henke, they simply cannot afford to take on another big contract. Not to mention the fact that if anything, the cap is bound to decrease, not increase.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:13 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Parise would not be a retirement contract, but I doubt the team can afford another $6m contract without being in cap hell. The team is going to have to (and I believe that they can) improve organically. With over 45% of the cap taken up by Gaborik, Richards & Henke, they simply cannot afford to take on another big contract. Not to mention the fact that if anything, the cap is bound to decrease, not increase.
It wouldn't be nearly as bad as many here make it out to be.

Step 1) Trade Dubinsky for picks/prospects
Hypothetical:
To TOR:
Dubinsky + Bourque

To NYR:
Biggs + 4th '13

Step 2) Re-sign MDZ, Prust, Bickel, Stralman, Mitchell, MZA

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Carl Hagelin ($0.875m) / Brad Richards ($6.667m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Zach Parise ($7.500m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Chris Kreider ($1.750m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.875m) / Mats Z.-Aasen ($1.500m)
Michael Rupp ($1.500m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Brandon Prust ($1.500m)
John Mitchell ($0.800m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.750m)
Tim Erixon ($1.750m) / Mike Sauer ($1.250m)
Anton Stralman ($1.000m) / Stu Bickel ($0.850m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($0.875m)
BUYOUTS
Chris Drury ($1.667m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,933,334; BONUSES: $1,462,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,366,666

That's the line-up with MZA @ 1.5 million, Kreider @ 1.75 million and (3) extra players on the cap all season (Which will not happen). Also, that has Parise making 7.5 million/season. The cap has NOT gone up in this which is being rumored to be happening.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:46 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
It wouldn't be nearly as bad as many here make it out to be.
It is not next year that I fear so much. It is the year after.

Old
03-19-2012, 12:18 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
I sense anger. He has the hands and shot to be a sniper. He's shot like and played like one on quite a few occasions.
No, that guy was right, Parise is certainly not a sniper. Guys like Kovalchuk and Ovechkin are snipers. Zach even admits his slapshot is poor, and will even joke about it in the media.

Parise is a weird combination of a finesse goal scorer and a garbage goal scorer, and is, IMO, perhaps the best "tipper and redirector" of the puck in the entire NHL. He can pick quadrants of the net with his redirections, which is sick to watch.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 12:30 PM
pld459666

If we are thinking outside the box, then I want Corey Perry.

Shift him to his off wing and let the one-timers fly.

Fast, physical, solid in boths ends of the rink and can score goals.

Reminds me of Tomas Sandstrom

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 12:33 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
No, that guy was right, Parise is certainly not a sniper. Guys like Kovalchuk and Ovechkin are snipers. Zach even admits his slapshot is poor, and will even joke about it in the media.

Parise is a weird combination of a finesse goal scorer and a garbage goal scorer, and is, IMO, perhaps the best "tipper and redirector" of the puck in the entire NHL. He can pick quadrants of the net with his redirections, which is sick to watch.
It's his hockey IQ that is off the charts. He knows how to use his body and get to the spots he needs to. I would never classify Parise as a sniper. He is a goal scorer.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:51 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post

That's exactly why he fits the Rangers better than Nash does. Torts would rather (I would as well, have always loved Parise since his UND days) Parise over Nash.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Bardof425*

Eric Cole

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
If we deal Dubi and don't bring back any salary, the addition of Parise doesn't add that much to the cap situation. And it's a major upgrade on the ice.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 03:59 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
If we deal Dubi and don't bring back any salary, the addition of Parise doesn't add that much to the cap situation. And it's a major upgrade on the ice.
No one is questioning that it is an upgrade. But dealing Dubi and not taking back salary will not be nearly as easy as you think. I am not ready to deal him for a bag of pucks. I still beleive that he can be a very good two-way second line player.

Old
03-19-2012, 04:16 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Eric Cole
I like him but he's signed through 14-15 at 4.5M.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 04:17 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Yeah, I was hoping we would sign Cole this off-season but the Habs gave him money and terms he would be dumb to turn down.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 05:01 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
If we are thinking outside the box, then I want Corey Perry.

Shift him to his off wing and let the one-timers fly.

Fast, physical, solid in boths ends of the rink and can score goals.

Reminds me of Tomas Sandstrom
Perry --- more of the pure sniper.
Does that look feasible?
Can't see Ducks not really holding on; what price do you offer?