HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2012, 11:28 AM
poetryinmotion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
He was a good, young starter at the time. The reason he didn't want to include him was probably because he was scared of the backlash. You're one season off.
You're right, he won the MVP the year that Kovy was drafted. It would have been a case of sacrificing the ONE best season a goalie can put up giving u a chance at the Cup, for longterm gains.

Would you include Price in a package for Yakupov? Assuming he will turn into an other Kovalchuk and knowing that Carey is and will be our MVP until he retires..

Old
03-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Hold on sec...there's giant balls and then there's stupidity. The Gomez trade was that a case of giant balls or stupidity? Or the Ribiero trade? sometimes you gotta let your giant brain over rule your giant balls.
Well there's a difference. You have to look at the scenarios.

After 2001, we fell way short of the playoffs because Koivu missed close to half of the season. We had 0 offensive potential outside of him. Theo just had his first season as the starter and had been good, but not great by any means. Prior to the draft, we have the ability to move up to #1 and grab the next big thing coming to the NHL in Kovalchuk. We didn't pull the trigger, which overall might've been for the best, but we still have yet to come close to a franchise forward.

Now, Gomez was brought in to replace Koivu, who we chose to let go. Gomez was largely perceived as having little to no value because of his declining production, his inability to carry a top line while on a massive deal. We give up a blue-chip prospect.

I don't know what was the whole thought process to moving Ribeiro, but from what was said, the reports were that Niinimaa was a top 4 defenseman, so it was perceived as a 'fair' deal by the organization because we needed help on D. Obviously, the rest is water under the bridge.

I don't see the link between a potential franchise make-or-break deal, a massive blockbuster, and general bad deals where we get fleeced due to either poor scouting or our inability to evaluate the talent in our organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
You're right, he won the MVP the year that Kovy was drafted. It would have been a case of sacrificing the ONE best season a goalie can put up giving u a chance at the Cup, for longterm gains.

Would you include Price in a package for Yakupov? Assuming he will turn into an other Kovalchuk and knowing that Carey is and will be our MVP until he retires..
But at the time, we didn't know Theodore was going to be that way. We know we had a great goalie, but we also had Garon coming up and no talent on offense except for Koivu.

You must've not watched hockey back in those days, Kovalchuk was biggest thing in hockey at the time, he was going to be as good as Bure, etc. Yakupov is nowhere near what Kovalchuk was at the time. For a Russian kid to overtake the spot of an OHL prodigy, he had to be amazing. Think someone being more hyped than Tavares in 09.

Old
03-19-2012, 02:23 AM
jphabs

Jacques Beaulieu

Here's an idea as coach or at least somewhere in the organization, don't know if it was mentionned before:

Jacques Beaulieu, head coach/GM of the Sarnia Sting...

Young, good record, GM of the year in St John, and also.. father of one Nathan Beaulieu...

He also coaches Galgenchuk (and Yakupov of course)

Probably doesn't speak french though, despite the name

Gut feeling?

Old
03-19-2012, 03:32 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

I actually think he does speak French

I'd rather have someone like Gallant if we're gonna pick a Q coach who isn't Roy. Probably as assistant coach or head in Hamilton.

Old
03-19-2012, 06:26 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphabs View Post
Here's an idea as coach or at least somewhere in the organization, don't know if it was mentionned before:

Young, good record, GM of the year in St John, and also.. father of one Nathan Beaulieu...

Gut feeling?
If he doesn't speak French then I gotta ask myself how he got that French accent when he speaks English. Isn't he Nathan Bealieu's dad. i remember Nathan saying that his mom taught his dad English when they first met.

Old
03-19-2012, 06:43 AM
psychonaut

No sure having your dad as your coach would be a good idea at the Nhl/Ahl level.

Old
03-19-2012, 06:44 AM
Schooner Guy

Jeff Marek was just on Brady & Lang In The Morning and said he thinks Tampa Bay will gas Boucher and that Boucher and Brisebois will bring their show to the Habs next season after apprenticing in Tampa.

I really can't see Stevie Y canning Boucher after the brutal Defense and Goaltending he had this year but it would be funny to see Boucher bring his 1-4 (or 0-5) system to Montreal. As long as they win, I don't care what system they play but if people thought JMartin's system was boring you have another thing coming...

Old
03-19-2012, 06:51 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I actually think he does speak French

I'd rather have someone like Gallant if we're gonna pick a Q coach who isn't Roy. Probably as assistant coach or head in Hamilton.
Even as a fellow maritimer I'm not a Gallant fan. I think Mike Kelly is the brains on Saint John SeaDogs coaching staff with Gerard Gallant being the figurehead. Also, Gallant's had one helluva group of talent since he's been there to throw out on the ice. I know someone who worked with Columbus when Gallant was there and he told me their practices were house league calibre. They rarely even practiced their powerplay. When Hitchcock replaced him, the changes in structure, organization and overall professionalism were extremely dramatic...night and day.

Old
03-19-2012, 07:12 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

Gut feeling?
When don't we ask every coach/GM in minor league while we're at it.

Old
03-19-2012, 07:17 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
Too bad the organization doesn't use the Best Person Available policy when it comes to general managers and coaches. Political pandering is turning this team into the NHL family's inbred country cousin.
Admittedly I am not french and do not speak it but I am a fan of this team and first priority is a winning team,not what language,place of birth,or colour of skin.
The thing is, "The Best Person Available" is subjective. Toronto did just that by hiring Burke and it turned out differently. So if nothing is certain, might as well pick a good hockey mind that can speak the language. People talk about Nill and I raise you Scotty Bowman. As much a good hockey mind but someone that is bilingual.

Old
03-19-2012, 10:20 AM
jphabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
If he doesn't speak French then I gotta ask myself how he got that French accent when he speaks English. Isn't he Nathan Bealieu's dad. i remember Nathan saying that his mom taught his dad English when they first met.
I don't know if he speaks french, I just figured. If he does, all the better.

Old
03-19-2012, 10:21 AM
jphabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
When don't we ask every coach/GM in minor league while we're at it.
I'm not talking about every coach/GM in minor league, I'm talking about a particular guy with an interesting pedigree. Don't answer if you have nothing intelligent to say.

Old
03-19-2012, 10:23 AM
jphabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Jeff Marek was just on Brady & Lang In The Morning and said he thinks Tampa Bay will gas Boucher and that Boucher and Brisebois will bring their show to the Habs next season after apprenticing in Tampa.

I really can't see Stevie Y canning Boucher after the brutal Defense and Goaltending he had this year but it would be funny to see Boucher bring his 1-4 (or 0-5) system to Montreal. As long as they win, I don't care what system they play but if people thought JMartin's system was boring you have another thing coming...
I don't think that's gonna happen. At least for Boucher. Brisebois is a possibility though.

Old
03-19-2012, 10:24 AM
jphabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut View Post
No sure having your dad as your coach would be a good idea at the Nhl/Ahl level.
Has it ever happened?

Old
03-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Has it ever happened?
It worked just fine for Montreal back in '94 with Felipe and Moises Alou .

Old
03-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Koivu_habs#1

Quote:
Has it ever happened?
Boom Boom coached is son, and said it was the worst thing that could happen to him.

Old
03-19-2012, 11:22 AM
jwolf

Marinaro mentioned this article from Dans Les Coulisses this morning: http://www.danslescoulisses.com/site/

Apparently, Roy and Molson have been in contact and conditions have been laid out in an effort to make Roy the next coach of The Habs. Reportedly, Benoit Groulx and Andre Tourigny have been tapped to flank Patrick behind the bench.

My question is: in what bizarro universe does an owner hire a coach without the input of his GM? The article goes on to claim that Gauthier is out as of the end of the season, which comes as no surprise to anyone, but why would he negotiate with a HC before sorting out the GM situation?

They go on to speculate that one or more of Julien Brisebois, Vincent Damphousse and Pierre Lacroix are being pursued to fill the GM slot.
Personally, I think this entire article is one giant cocktail of speculation, wishful thinking and all-out rumour mongering.

But then again, what do I know?

Old
03-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Marinaro mentioned this article from Dans Les Coulisses this morning: http://www.danslescoulisses.com/site/

Apparently, Roy and Molson have been in contact and conditions have been laid out in an effort to make Roy the next coach of The Habs. Reportedly, Benoit Groulx and Andre Tourigny have been tapped to flank Patrick behind the bench.

My question is: in what bizarro universe does an owner hire a coach without the input of his GM? The article goes on to claim that Gauthier is out as of the end of the season, which comes as no surprise to anyone, but why would he negotiate with a HC before sorting out the GM situation?

They go on to speculate that one or more of Julien Brisebois, Vincent Damphousse and Pierre Lacroix are being pursued to fill the GM slot.
Personally, I think this entire article is one giant cocktail of speculation, wishful thinking and all-out rumour mongering.

But then again, what do I know?
This was already discussed here. Marinaro is late, and pretty ridiculous he would actually mention this rumor from such an unreliable website on air.

Old
03-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Purely sensationalist article, even with all the observations behind it. It would be a kick in the nuts for any new GM to have a coach already put in place before even interviewing for the position.

Tony obviously went ahead and used it as an example of how his "Geoff Molson is pulling the strings" statement is validated.

And if it turns out that Patty Roy isn't the HC, he will just say "it wasn't me, it was Dans Les Coulisses" and act all pretty.

Old
03-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

For something this major to slip through the cracks of the tight-lipped Habs' wall of silence, only to fall to some unreliable site's sources, I find that very hard to believe.

It's not totally nonsensical, but I highly doubt there's any real solid base to this rumor outside of speculation.

Old
03-19-2012, 12:47 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
For something this major to slip through the cracks of the tight-lipped Habs' wall of silence, only to fall to some unreliable site's sources, I find that very hard to believe.

It's not totally nonsensical, but I highly doubt there's any real solid base to this rumor outside of speculation.

Actually, this is one of the very very rare, good rumour websites. Of course you have to take it with a grain of salt but it usually makes quite a lot of sense and the guy has pretty good sources usually. But like everything, you can take it all seriously either.

Old
03-19-2012, 12:57 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:

Gut feeling?
Beaulieu Sr. is a Franco-Ontarien who could not speak English until he was 16.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...s-a-boston.php

L'importance du français

Le nom de Beaulieu suscite certaines attentes chez les amateurs qui veulent encourager des joueurs capables de parler français. C'est également le souhait du père de Nathan Beaulieu.

«C'est sûr que j'aimerais ça qu'il parle le français, a-t-il dit. Moi, je ne parlais pas anglais avant l'âge de 16 ans et sa grand-mère ne parle pas anglais non plus.

«Nathan a surtout été élevé par sa mère, car j'étais toujours parti à cause du hockey. Mais ça s'apprend. Je veux qu'il démontre du respect envers la langue française. Et ça ne pourrait qu'être une bonne chose pour lui étant donné la taille du marché de Montréal et toute l'attention médiatique.»

Old
03-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Beakermania*

The Rumor is ridiculous.

If PG is the GM going forward, he should be picking the coach, not Molson.

If Molson is taking over from PG, firing him at the end of the year, and bringing in a new guy, then the new guy should hire the coach he wants.

It doesn't make sense that Molson is hiring Roy, right now and before the QMJHL playoffs.

I like Roy as the next coach but to suggest this is a done deal and its gone down in the way described seems like a stretch to me.

Old
03-19-2012, 03:11 PM
thewall

I have read the article danslescoulisses.com

All I can say guys is I have the same opinion has the writter on the blog. I have a friend who's assistant coach in the QJMHL. From what i have heard from him, Roy will be the next coach of the Habs and there is a really good possiblity that Tourigny will be his assistant. Roy rejected the Habs coaching job and GM job in December because he is commited to Grigorenko for this season.

From what i know there is also a good chance that Roy will be the one taking decisions on all the hockey related matters and the New Habs GM will be there for Cap management purposes. (Julien Brisebois) is the name Rumored or Vincent Damphousse. Damphousse was the NHLPA vice president, so hes has experience with numbers and understanding the money and numbers of the hockey business..

I usually don't beleive in these type of rumors, but like i said in December.. ROY will be the Habs next Head Coach! BOOK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
03-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Craig71

I really hope it is pierre Mcguire as GM and Roy as head coach.....Even if it is a total failure, at least it would be freakin entertaining.

Closed Thread