HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Hockey still lives in Atlanta

Old
03-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Legionnaire11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash2Smash25 View Post
Did not know that. I know there is a Utah Grizzlies currently in the ECHL.
If wikipedia is correct, and it seems to be on this...

Nashville South Stars --> Virginia Lancers --> Roanoke Valley Rebels --> Roanoke Valley Rampage --> Huntsville Blast --> Tallahassee Tiger Sharks --> Macon Whoopee --> Lexington Men O' War --> Utah Grizzlies

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Legionnaire11

The Nashville Dixie Flyers appear to have just folded without relocation. Same with the Nashville Nighthawks, who shortly became the Nashville Ice Flyers before folding.

The Nashville Knights became the Pensacola Ice Pilots, known now as Pensacola Ice Flyers.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:59 PM
thisismikea

i am doing my part of keeping hockey alive in atlanta - chest high sauce passes in beerleague.

the glads games are solid games. definitely reminds me of going to knights games down at the omni.

thisismikea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Traded Legwand
Vote for Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
If wikipedia is correct, and it seems to be on this...

Nashville South Stars --> Virginia Lancers --> Roanoke Valley Rebels --> Roanoke Valley Rampage --> Huntsville Blast --> Tallahassee Tiger Sharks --> Macon Whoopee --> Lexington Men O' War --> Utah Grizzlies

My pops worked for the Rampage and the Blast.. then we came here and he worked for the Knights. Never knew the roots were in Nashville.

Traded Legwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:22 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

I still have my ticket stubs from Sep 11, 1999 .... Nashville Predators @ Atlanta Thrashers in their first exhibition game.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

I'm going to my first Gladiators game since '07 tomorrow night. Will be my first live hockey game since the Thrashers left.

Thrashers94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:47 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashers94 View Post
I'm going to my first Gladiators game since '07 tomorrow night. Will be my first live hockey game since the Thrashers left.
I've been to 5 so far and may end up going tomorrow night as well. If not I will be there on the 17th.

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:14 AM
videofarmer
thirsty

vCash: 50
Going to see the Glads this Friday, but honestly, those games aren't nearly as exciting to me as my son's high school hockey games. Go Brookwood!
The game I'm really looking forward to attending is in Nashville on the 24th!

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Bongo

Me to also.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:41 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofarmer View Post
Going to see the Glads this Friday, but honestly, those games aren't nearly as exciting to me as my son's high school hockey games. Go Brookwood!
Can't wait!

Go Preds!!!

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:46 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
I want no part of that game so I will probably ignore it.

Old
03-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
No Canada No?

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 06:41 AM
Bongo

Quote:

I don't understand comments like this at all. Having worked for enough fools, crooks, and liars over the years; I know what it's like to have a bad employer. As badly as ASG treated the fans, I can't begin to imagine what it was like working for them. Don't hold this against the guys on the team. They are in a much better place even if they can't play golf everyday.

Old
03-15-2012, 08:08 AM
tonyin318

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
I don't understand comments like this at all. .............Don't hold this against the guys on the team. They are in a much better place even if they can't play golf everyday.
I lean toward Thrash2Smash25's view point. I am indifferent to the players, but even the very slightest hint of success for the Winnipeg franchise causes me ill feelings. I certainly don't want to risk experiencing any possible Jet success first hand, especially since I expect a faction of fans from Atlanta there cheering on the Jets. That will p.o. me even further.

Wishy Washy alert: I actually have two tickets to that game purchased as part of a season ticket pack, so I may end up there, but no way in h-e-double hockey sticks I'll wish even modest success upon the Jets.

Last edited by tonyin318: 03-15-2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: type-o corrected
tonyin318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Bongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyin318 View Post
I lean toward Thrash2Smash25's view point. I am indifferent to the players, but even the very slightest hint of success for the Winnipeg franchise causes me ill feelings. I certainly don't want to risk experiencing any possible Jet success first hand, especially since I expect a faction of fans from Atlanta there cheering on the Jets. That will p.o. me even further.

Wishy Washy alert: I actually have two tickets to that game purchased as part of a season ticket pack, so I may end up there, but no way in h-e-double hockey sticks I'll wish even modest success upon the Jets.
Well then you must not have been much of a Thrashers fan to begin with. This isn't personal. The players didn't take a vote to move to Winnipeg. I'll continue to root for Toby, Buff, Ladd, and Kane no matter whose sweater they're wearing.

Last edited by Bongo: 03-15-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old
03-15-2012, 01:37 PM
tonyin318

Quote:
Well then you must not have been much of a Thrashers fan to begin with. This isn't personal. The players didn't take a vote to move to Winnipeg. I'll continue to root for Toby, Buff, Ladd, and Kane no matter whose sweater they're wearing.
Well, I wont go through my resume trying to prove I was a huge Thrashers fan. I'll just say I was a gigantic Thrashers fan since 1999 and leave it at that. Doesn't matter if you can comprehend it or not.

Now I'm a Preds fan. Despise the Jets franchise. Like Toby, Kane, Slater, Thorburn and Burmi....just not as much as I despise the Jets Franchise, Winnipeg fans, the Jets logo, Jets ownership.......I'm don't even like flying anymore.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:25 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Well, I wont go through my resume trying to prove I was a huge Thrashers fan. I'll just say I was a gigantic Thrashers fan since 1999 and leave it at that. Doesn't matter if you can comprehend it or not.

Now I'm a Preds fan. Despise the Jets franchise. Like Toby, Kane, Slater, Thorburn and Burmi....just not as much as I despise the Jets Franchise, Winnipeg fans, the Jets logo, Jets ownership.......I'm don't even like flying anymore.
Agreed, which is why I'll cheer the Thrash while they warm up, and boo the hell out of them during the game. Go Preds.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 03:03 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Why even question his fandom? Honestly once Kovalchuk was traded I knew something wasn't right and my interest started to slowly fade. I still wanted the Thrashers to do well but it seemed like the front office wasn't even really trying to ice a good team anymore.

Old
03-15-2012, 03:13 PM
SilverRiver89

vCash: 1365
Quote:

That's kind of how I feel about it. I'll probably watch the game still though. I've watched all the ones vs Carolina already.

Quote:
To me it's almost like a huge trade. Sure you still like the players, but you don't have to root for them to win or anything.

SilverRiver89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 03:30 PM
HeyYouGuys

I'll be at the game on the 24th as well! Can't wait to see some live NHL hockey again, and looking forward to hanging around in Nashville. I'll be cheering for the Preds as well, but sporting my Thrashers jersey.

HeyYouGuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:37 PM
usahockey22flyers
Shot, Rebound, Score

I hope Atlanta keeps some of its hockey roots. As my username shows, I like the Flyers and more importantly USA hockey (Ive always liked the southern franchise, in hoping it would grow the game in the states, and it has, i applaud you Nashville!)I find myself hating Winnipeg just because they took the Thrashers away from Atlanta.

I'm hoping to see the Preds win the game on the 24th 7-0.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 03:29 AM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
you live in snellville? i grew up there until i was about 14. my dad still lives there.

i'll be in nashville on the 24th as well, first time i'm going to actually root for the preds . can't wait to see enstrom, little, pavelec, slater, thorburn and hainsey. i honestly don't really care about any of the other players any more. most of the others weren't there long enough to really build any attachment to. bogo and burmi to a degree, i guess, but not on the level of my top 6. also can't wait to see the aforementioned players get their teeth stomped in by men wearing yellow.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Bongo

Quote:

I understand all the hate. There was a lot of mean spirited, stupid things said about our town and fanbase last summer as all this was going down. I like to think that has more to do with internet culture than hockey's. Still, your bile is misguided and should be directed at the people responsible for letting this come to pass; not the players. Lord knows if you were there for those last miserable seasons you know that nobody deserves to be playing for a full house rockin' it all night long more than those guys. That should have happened here but didn't thanks to Waddell, ASG, and Bettman. That's where my anger is directed.

When the Flames left in 1980 we didn't have Center Ice, 24 hour sports channels, or the interwebs. That's when I became a fan of the game more so than of any team in particular. That lasted during the Thrashers time here as well once it was obvious our team was unwanted by both sets of owners.

Again I understand all the animosity towards Winnipeg and can relate to Thrash25's statement about flying. For years after losing the Flames I said if Tom Cousins ever found himself alone in a room with me, he was going to the hospital. Even though Glenn Ford(look it up)is in several great films, I can't stand to watch him to this day. At the same time, life's too short to be carrying around that much weight. Don't be hatin'!

Old
03-19-2012, 09:18 AM
tonyin318

Quote:
Still, your bile is misguided and should be directed at the people responsible for letting this come to pass; not the players. ............... That should have happened here but didn't thanks to Waddell, ASG, and Bettman. That's where my anger is directed.

.................. At the same time, life's too short to be carrying around that much weight. Don't be hatin'!
First let me emphasize, this is all-in-good-fun-keep-sports-in-it's-proper-perspective type hate, more of a recreational hate/strong resentment

We have a misunderstanding.................. I have nothing against the players...I really miss seeing them in person on a regular basis. I blame the ASG for mismanaging/not-caring-about the Thrashers and Gary Bettman for not giving a enough of a rat's-ass. It's just that I don't want the Winnipeg franchise to experience success for a long time. It's not Winnipeg, it's what they represent, effectively they took our team and celebrated our loss.....I resent them having fun with my team, that's all.

Last edited by tonyin318: 03-19-2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: replaced "losing" with "mismanaging/not-caring-about"
Old
03-19-2012, 09:41 AM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Anyway the Gladiators clinched a playoff spot with their 4-3 win over Greenville this past Saturday. I hope all of you(those in the ATL area) make it out to Gwinnett during the playoffs. It's a longshot but supporting minor league hockey now with the Gladiators and maybe in the future with an AHL team is probably our only back to the NHL.