HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

San Jose @ Los Angeles 3/20/12

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2012, 09:38 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

vCash: 500
San Jose @ Los Angeles 3/20/12

Kind of a big game. 1st in a 3 game series.

Playoff chances sit currently at 58%. If the Kings win, they'll go up to 68%. If the Kings lose, they'll drop to 40%.

Bigger picture though, it's not a disaster if they don't win, but it makes it much harder to win the season series. San Jose is currently up in the season series by 1 point. Kings are 1-1-1 vs. San Jose. San Jose is 2-1-0 vs. the Kings. Given the Kings and Sharks currently have the same # of ROW's, these other tiebreakers gain importance.

Ultimately the Kings goal should be to win their 2 home games, or win 2 out of the 3 games vs. San Jose, preferably in regulation but an OTW or SOW would be OK.

From a points-blown perspective (explanation here) http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/20...e-real-western - the Kings are in a playoff spot currently:

1. STL - 44 - GR: 9
2. VAN - 48 - GR: 11
3. NAS - 52 - GR: 10
4. DET - 53 - GR: 10
5. CHI - 58 - GR: 10
6. SJS - 60 - GR: 11
7. DAL - 61 - GR: 10
8. LAK - 62 - GR: 10
-------------
9. PHX - 63 - GR: 9
10. CGY - 65 - GR: 9
11. COL - 65 - GR: 8

A regulation win for the Kings could put them ahead of San Jose (or if San Jose loses tonight the Kings would also move into a points -blown tie with SJ).

San Jose's game in hand is made up tonight vs. Anaheim.

GO KINGS!

Old
03-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
I was thinking of starting this thread myself, so thanks for a conversation starter!

Our 3-game series vs. San Jose may eliminate one of us from the playoffs. How scary is that? Think the last two games of the season will be a bloody mess? Must take care of business tomorrow night. It's so important to take things one game at a time at this point.

I can't believe we're already at the last 10 games of the regular season

Old
03-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

You know it's a big game when hfKings has a pre-game thread. GO KINGS!!!!

If SJS lose tonight, then PHO and LAK win tmw, LA will be in 7th, 1 point back of PHO with a game in hand of 3rd!!!! Crazy, after how very average this season has been that LAK still have a good chance at the division title.

Old
03-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Butch 19
King me

This is the best opportunity in a looong time for the Kings to win the Pacific Division.

They have the defense, and now the offense to do it.

Now, just do it!!

Old
03-19-2012, 10:26 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post

Our 3-game series vs. San Jose may eliminate one of us from the playoffs.
If either team is swept, that will probably do them in.

Quote:
Think the last two games of the season will be a bloody mess?
If the Kings don't win tomorrow, yes.

If the Kings win both their home games in regulation and San Jose wins their home game, that would give the Kings a record of 3-2-1 vs. San Jose. San Jose's record would be 3-3-0. If they are tied in ROW's at the end of the season, then the Kings would win the tiebreak. Crazy.

Going 2-1-0 or better in these 3 games is imperative for both teams. It's going to be a bloodbath.

Old
03-19-2012, 10:44 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Imagine if it came down to the very last game of the season and the winner made the playoffs by virtue of the head-to-head tiebreaker. That would be crazy.

Edit:
To go further with it, say we won this game in OT/SO (2-1-1 vs 2-1-1) then San Jose won the next in regulation (2-2-1 vs 3-1-1), so we had to win in regulation to match the head to head series AND win by, say, at least 2 goals to get the goal differential tie breaker... jesus christ.

Last edited by FootKnight: 03-19-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old
03-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
Imagine if it came down to the very last game of the season and the winner made the playoffs by virtue of the head-to-head tiebreaker. That would be crazy.

Edit:
To go further with it, say we won this game in OT/SO (2-1-1 vs 2-1-1) then San Jose won the next in regulation (2-2-1 vs 3-1-1), so we had to win in regulation to match the head to head series AND win by, say, at least 2 goals to get the goal differential tie breaker... jesus christ.
Dear god.

Reminds me of tourneys we played as a kid where you only had round robin, so tiebreaks would come down to goal differential, GF/GA, head-to-head, and finally...a coin toss. I can remember how pissed I was losing a tourney because of a coin toss (and I lost my potential only high scorer trophy ever due to the other guy had more goals, I had more assists )...can you imagine somehow missing the playoffs because of some wacky tiebreaker?

Reminds me of this:

Old
03-19-2012, 11:17 AM
deeshamrock

Quote:
Crazed agony was, as a Flyers fan, in 2010 suffering through a shootout on the very last gme of the year and sweating out that last shot Boosh has to stop to get the Flyers in the playoffs.

Hopefully, the Kings will go on a nice winning streak and have their fate decided before that last game.

Old
03-19-2012, 11:18 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Must win, the leaders need to lead, players in the bottom six need to play above their skill set and Quick needs to play like Quick-basically more of the same.

Old
03-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Hopefully the Kings can secure a playoff spot before the last 2 games. Winning this game would go a long way to doing that

Old
03-19-2012, 11:41 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Tomorrow we'll be a interesting day. All 6 teams in the playoff race in the west are playing each other.

Phoenix is at Dallas, Calgary is at Colorado, and of course San Jose is at Los Angeles.

Lots of potential 4 points swings by the end of tuesday night.

Old
03-19-2012, 11:48 AM
The Big Giant Head

vCash: 50
My stomach is in frickin knots over this game. Every winning streak has to come to an end and right now we're at 4games...the odds alone of us continuing to win are rapidly declining...Please just win!

And is it just me or can anyone else see Anaheim bombing in tonights game just to make it more difficult for us?

Last edited by The Big Giant Head: 03-19-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old
03-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head View Post
And is it just me or can anyone else see Anaheim bombing in tonights game just to make it more difficult for us?
Not on purpose, but I don't expect help any more. I mean, every game that we could have used help in last night saw the team playing spoiler blow a third period lead.

Old
03-19-2012, 12:05 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
You know it's a big game when hfKings has a pre-game thread. GO KINGS!!!!

If SJS lose tonight, then PHO and LAK win tmw, LA will be in 7th, 1 point back of PHO with a game in hand of 3rd!!!! Crazy, after how very average this season has been that LAK still have a good chance at the division title.
This team should be running away with the Pacific Division title. They look good on paper, finally starting to look good on the ice.

Old
03-19-2012, 12:27 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
...Given the Kings and Sharks currently have the same # of ROW's, these other tiebreakers gain importance...
We actually have one more ROW as of today, but tonight's game could change that. Ideally, we want the ducks to win in regulation to keep the sharks' points tied and ROWs below us. At that point we'll be even in games. Otherwise either a ot/so loss is next best, or if they do win, a so win at the very least. Tonight we have to root for the ducks *throws up*

Old
03-19-2012, 12:30 PM
SLang

You could pretty much look at these three SJ games as round 1 of the playoffs.

Old
03-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
You could pretty much look at these three SJ games as round 1 of the playoffs.
Exactly. Best of 3. I expect a lot of hits and a ton of scrums after the whistle.

Old
03-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Our 3-game series vs. San Jose may eliminate one of us from the playoffs. How scary is that?
I would love nothing more than the Kings to knock the Sharks out of the playoffs.

It is pretty remarkable that even after the mediocre season the Kings have had, they still have a legitimate shot at winning the division. The team is playing the best hockey they have played all season too. I hope they can keep it up! Winning the division would really make up for what a disappointing season has been so far.

Old
03-19-2012, 12:53 PM
KingNothing4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKingsFan View Post
Tomorrow we'll be a interesting day. All 6 teams in the playoff race in the west are playing each other.

Phoenix is at Dallas, Calgary is at Colorado, and of course San Jose is at Los Angeles.

Lots of potential 4 points swings by the end of tuesday night.
That is pretty crazy, IDK how anyone couldn't scoreboard watch tomorrow night!

Old
03-19-2012, 01:02 PM
lumbergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head View Post
My stomach is in frickin knots over this game. Every winning streak has to come to an end and right now we're at 4games...the odds alone of us continuing to win are rapidly declining...Please just win!
???

If I've flipped a coin four times and gotten heads all four times, what are the odds of heads being flipped on the fifth flip?

Old
03-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

sounds like a rigged coin so probably 100%

Old
03-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbergh View Post
???

If I've flipped a coin four times and gotten heads all four times, what are the odds of heads being flipped on the fifth flip?
My guess is 3%

Old
03-19-2012, 01:14 PM
GuyInARoom

Quote:
???

People get confused by these types of odds very easily. The odds of flipping heads five times in a row are 3%, but the odds of flipping heads a fifth time having already flipped heads 4 in a row previously are 50%.

Old
03-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Perro

Quote:
???

50% either it does or it doesn't

Old
03-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

If SJ loses tonight, we will be tied in points and in games. Some real crazy **** is about to go down. Should be a war out there; I can't decide if I'm more nervous or excited. Tomorrow night seems like years away.

Closed Thread