HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should the coyotes trade for a center in the offseason?

Old
03-16-2012, 03:48 PM
hbk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by prob22 View Post
Bruins offer Krejci for OEL. You take that trade?

I wouldn't touch it myself. OEL is an elite talent. He's untouchable in my opinion. I consider him to be a franchise d man. He's that good.

Last edited by hbk: 03-16-2012 at 03:54 PM.
hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:55 PM
knowsthegame

The key difference between Yandle and OEL is what's between the ears.
I'll take OEL 10 times out of 10 over Yandle.
The Yandle comparison to Jovo is a good one, unfortunately.
I'm not questioning Yandle's talent, but I have huge concerns about the mental part of his professional game.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Given the mess we are in Id rather the Coyotes trade up to get the 1st overall.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:07 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Given the mess we are in Id rather the Coyotes trade up to get the 1st overall.
I would not deal OEL for Yakupov.

Old
03-16-2012, 04:14 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

What point are you making? That we need to package a young blueliner or two this summer to trade for a true number one center in order to compete for a championship next season?

03-16-2012, 04:14 PM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Agreed. I'd move Yandle before OEL, and I wouldn't be in a hurry to trade Yandle either.

_Del_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
What point are you making? That we need to package a young blueliner or two this summer to trade for a true number one center in order to compete for a championship next season?
If we want to have a real chance at competing for the cup we need a number one center. We have the depth on defense to be able to package yandle in a deal. if theyd prefer younger defense in exchange i am ok with that as long as its not oel or gormley

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:32 PM

I'm more of a believer that they should wait it out on the defense and see if they all pan out. As previously said, not all of them will live up to their potential, and if the right moves can be made at the right time Maloney might be able to deal some of the guys that don't look to be living up to that potential before the word is out on them for a decent return.

Clearly the offense up front is hurting at the prospect level for this franchise. That means that scoring talent will have to be acquired via trades and free agency until they can develop some scorers. It's a bummer because it's probably easier to trade for quality defense than quality scorers. Maybe with some of the change to the scouts in the past year or two coupled with the team finally getting an owner someday it'll result in some developed forwards.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 06:17 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoyote View Post
If we want to have a real chance at competing for the cup we need a number one center. We have the depth on defense to be able to package yandle in a deal. if theyd prefer younger defense in exchange i am ok with that as long as its not oel or gormley
I dont think we have a real shot anytime soon, with or without the top center. Doan and Whitney arent getting younger and we are a long, long way away from having the roster of a cup contender.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I dont think we have a real shot anytime soon, with or without the top center. Doan and Whitney arent getting younger and we are a long, long way away from having the roster of a cup contender.
A first line center would give us three lines capable of scoring and our fourth line always comes to work.

wed still have a solid defense and even without yandle the group is able to pitch in offensively.

I dont want to completely give up our future but I want to take a
shot. when will we ever be close once whitney and doan retire.

we dont have young forwards like mueller, turris, wheeler.

if i agreed we arent a one or two changes away from having a real shot id want to hold onto to all the young guys too

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Gwyddbwyll

1. Yandle 355 career games
2. Klesla 586
3. Ekman-Larsson 120
4. Schlemko 106
5. Summers 23
6. Morris 995
7. Stone 9
8. Rundblad 30
9. Gormley 0

Leaving:
Aucoin 1069
Rozsival 746

Its not bad with Yandle, Klesla, Morris as veterans but its still very green - the other six have not played more than 1 full season. There's not a lot of cover for injuries, I'd see GMDM getting one veteran in.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:49 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
1. Yandle 355 career games
2. Klesla 586
3. Ekman-Larsson 120
4. Schlemko 106
5. Summers 23
6. Morris 995
7. Stone 9
8. Rundblad 30
9. Gormley 0

Leaving:
Aucoin 1069
Rozsival 746

Its not bad with Yandle, Klesla, Morris as veterans but its still very green - the other six have not played more than 1 full season. There's not a lot of cover for injuries, I'd see GMDM getting one veteran in.
I think he'll just re-sign Aucoin. Roszival is likely gone.

Old
03-18-2012, 01:24 PM
zerekstar

I would never have thought Yandle would be up for a possible trade but Tippet seems genuinely miffed with him and Rosival. I think in Yandle's case, he will get over it but their mistakes have been happening to regularly and on a defense first team, that just doesn't fly. But as for OEL, he is the most untouchable guy we have and I don't think any other team has him valued high enough to give up what it would take. We can't afford to deal him away thank goodness!

zerekstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:20 AM
BUX7PHX

I look at our centers and see that Vermette, Hanzal, and Gordon are under contract for next year. Given what we know about our team and it's free agents, I'd consider C to be somewhat a position of strength. At the wings, we have the potential to lose Whitney and Doan. Wing would be a position that I would target, specifically left wing, as we are top-heavy with Whitney, but everyone else is playing one line ahead of where he is at...

As for Yandle, I just think that there is more to his game that he hasn't learned from. I have yet to really see OEL make a mistake twice in a row, or the same mistake over and over again. This is what separates OEL, and puts Yandle as a step behind. I expect similar development from Gormley. Our D next year is in such good shape, even considering our free agents. Some players don't have the experience, but they have gained valuable experience. While previous D like Focht, Ross, etc. did not pan out, we never really saw any of them at the NHL level, either. I feel much better about Stone, Schlemko, and Rundbald going forward, as most of their games have picked up in their limited NHL time (Rundblad is the only question mark that I have). We can sign another veteran that fits in well with the group and have 7 deep respectable D-men. If we did trade Yandle, I'd want a good 3/4 D-man and a #2/3 LW in return. Anything that we need to add to turn the wing into a #2 at left or right, and we do it, IMO...

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

I think all we need is a bunch of #2 centers.

Hanzal
Vermette
Lombardi

4th liner
Gordon

Korpi/Lombardi/Doan
Whitney/Hanzal/Vrbata
Boedker/Vermette/Brule
Torres/Gordon/Chipchura

Lombardi has proven to be a great fit under Tipp, let's roll the dice with him since it will be another contract year for Lombardi and maybe this time he'll recognize what Vrbata recognized, that it's far better to stay where you know you fit rather than go for the money.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:08 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

A 7th for Lombardi would be just fine by me.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote