HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Danny Briere, are you worried?

Old
03-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Xegiie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
OK. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe this guy can shift gears when it matters most.
tho dont forget his SO yesterday

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 04:24 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

they gotta find him some linemates. it's a shame he and giroux can't take turns centering hartnell and jagr because they've both looked great with the pair. hopefully reemer comes back and discovers he and danny b were made for each other, or something.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Briere with some nice assist work today. Would like to see him get some of those goals, but he just hasn't had much chemistry with linemates this season and I'm sure part of it was JVR when he was injured earlier.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post
tho dont forget his SO yesterday
I missed it, but I hear it was mind-blowingly awful.

03-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Coburn made that OT play. Briere gets credit for a nice pass, but had Coburn taken it & shot, not doubt a shootout would follow. Excellent play by Coburn to let it got to Hartnell, who changed the angle on MF, and banked it.

Danny didn't clear the puck @ the blue line, and that led to goal #2

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
Coburn made that OT play. Briere gets credit for a nice pass, but had Coburn taken it & shot, not doubt a shootout would follow. Excellent play by Coburn to let it got to Hartnell, who changed the angle on MF, and banked it.

No just NOOO. Yes Coburn read the play and saw the pass wasn't intended for him. Briere made that whole play bringing the puck over the line and finding a open spot to sit and read the play and pass it to the open man. Briere made the play, not Coburn. Give credit where credit is do. Oh I had a great vantage point of this goal too, I was there and was staring straight at Briere when he made the play. It was all him, he created the opportunity himself.

On goal #2 Briere wasn't even on the ice for the goal, so I question how much you pay attention to the game?

And please let's not bring what Briere said into this discussion again. You took his words out of context and it's been beaten like a dead horse.

I also hate that everybody was yelling to shoot with 5 seconds on the clock! I can't stand that. He had time to make a play and made it.

Last edited by Prongo: 03-18-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 06:48 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:

Coburn didn't make that play; rather, he didn't destroy it.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 07:12 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Good OT by Briere. He can make things happen when the space is already there during 4 on 4. Just a shame he can't seem to make his own 5 on 5 space anymore.
I disagree... I think he never was the kind of player who made space for himself... he is a little player that fights for his space... it is the job of his line to make space that he can operate in.

In the past, one of Danny's strong suites was his ability to control the puck behind the net and then be able to work around to the front and be able to turn with the puck and set up for a close in shot... or he passes the puck to a line-mate for a shot...This season he seems to be able to control the puck well behund the net and win the battle, but is not able to work as well to the front and set up for his shot; he doesn't have the room any longer... He still has been able to pass out front, but the finishing off by the line-mates have not been as good.

His line-mates last season and at the end of the prior season, Hartnell and Leino, suited him well and allowed him the time and space... I don't believe he has found/been given the line-mates this season to function as well as in the past.

I do like line combination of Briere and Voracek and Read... I believe Voracek can give him what Leino did, but I wish Hartnell could play with them... although it would be foolish t move him away from G... and Jags.

... I am not discounting the effect of the concussion, since he has not played as well since he had it... I think many factors come into play and age and stepping back along with health could be a part along with a long cold streak... I wouldn't count out his having a strong stretch and Postseason like in the past.

If he is again a strong Postseason player... and one of the best players on the team then... I think he would be well worth his contract and Cap hit.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Coburn didn't make that play; rather, he didn't destroy it.
Exactly... I thought when it happened that it was lucky Cobie didn't get it... It looked like he was aware of the situation and just went to the net and let Harts do his business. Coburn displayed good sense, but to say he was responsible would be like saying the Oilers shuld get the credit for allowing Gretzky to have the puck enough times to score his 92 goals... as they could have taken the pucks away from him many times.

Old
03-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Ryker

Quote:
he publicly said "if Bryz wants the guys to keep playing hard for him ..." when Bryz was struggling.

"If Laviloette wants the guys to keep playing hard for him ..."
"If Holmgren wants the guys to keep playing hard for him ..."
"If Mr. Snyder wants the guys to keep playing hard for him ..."

in my view, everybody should play hard all the time.
Can you provide the whole context, i.e. the video interview or wherever you saw him say this?

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 09:28 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Can you provide the whole context, i.e. the video interview or wherever you saw him say this?
It was part of a tweet from Tim Panaccio a couple weeks back...you know the guy that has a job by "reporting" on "stories".

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Quote:
If he wants the guys to keep playing hard for him, he needs to be a great teammate the way he has been lately, and its been fun having him around, too.
http://www.midatlantic.comcastsports...3672&tagID=419

hearing any player start a sentence with 'If he wants the guys to keep playing hard ....' implies that there's acceptable reasons not to play hard all of the time & i don't want to hear that. from any player. especially one who has been invisible 90% of the year.

and if DAnny REALLY wants to say that, keep it in the room & out of the press.

Old
03-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
http://www.midatlantic.comcastsports...3672&tagID=419

hearing any player start a sentence with 'If he wants the guys to keep playing hard ....' implies that there's acceptable reasons not to play hard all of the time & i don't want to hear that. from any player. especially one who has been invisible 90% of the year.

and if DAnny REALLY wants to say that, keep it in the room & out of the press.
While I would have rather Danny been not as open with the Media... that bolded part of the quote above I don't agree with; I don't see it implying that at all... There are so many underlying things involved with what goes on with people in general and pro athletes in particular, I believe Danny was stating his belief that the players would go that extra mile and risk life and limb and career and family income for a foxhole buddy... not in any way inferring it to be a conscious act, rather a natural act by humans in given situations in life.

I suppose I may be reading much more than I should have to in a situation that you may be reading too much into... I hope I came across as I intended it.

Old
03-19-2012, 12:56 PM
FLYERSFAN18

really wsh we could see briere with hartnell full time. they always seem to have chemistry. Maybe add read or voracek with them. Voracek could be a leino type player for them with his passing skills

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
. that bolded part of the quote above I don't agree with; I don't see it implying that at all...

then why say 'If he wants the guys to keep playing hard ....' if there's never a situation where the guys wouldn't play hard?

that's as bad as if Bob would say 'If the the guys want me to keep playing hard, they need to block more shots ....'

no. everybody should play hard ALL THE TIME. period. no conditions. ever.

Old
03-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
really wsh we could see briere with hartnell full time. they always seem to have chemistry. Maybe add read or voracek with them. Voracek could be a leino type player for them with his passing skills
Jake also can control the puck and maintain possession like Leino could... he just takes a more direct route to the net with it, while Leino liked to work the corners and along the boards more... but I posted earlier on here (or another thread) the same exact thought.

Problem is that Hartnell would be tough to move from Giroux and Jags at this point... I don't have backup data but I'm under the impression that since Hartnell has been with the Flyers the lines that he has been on have been the ones that have been the hottest -- except for maybe his down year with goals a couple seasons back -- I seem to remember a torrid period early on with Lupul until Loops got hurt... and of course his teaming with Briere/Leino and now with Giroux/Jagr has netted some clutched goals this season. It seems that Harts is the common factor... I'd love to see some figures on this... but that would take much time and work to get.

Old
03-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
then why say 'If he wants the guys to keep playing hard ....' if there's never a situation where the guys wouldn't play hard?

that's as bad as if Bob would say 'If the the guys want me to keep playing hard, they need to block more shots ....'

no. everybody should play hard ALL THE TIME. period. no conditions. ever.
And there should always be peace in our time... People are human and good intentions do not always come to fruition... I take it as Danny saying that it's better to be a good teammate than to be a contentious one; that the players could unconsciously play better in front of him and go the extra mile for him.

As I said before, I agree that Briere maybe should not have been so open to the Media and kept his thoughts to himself... but Danny is an honest person, it seems, who will answer questions put to him honestly... I believe he should have kept that in the Room, but I also believe that he thought he was being helpful... he is human also and does not always may the correct decisions.

I just believe to automatically connect the dots to show that because Danny acknowledges there are subconscious factors that come into play, he takes time off from his play and does not try at times... Not to say that he does not at times unconsciously fall to such situational circumstances... Just as he seems to be subject to the opposite situational circumstances where he is able to pick it up a notch or two and be able to raise his play in clutch situations and in the Postseason (although some of us don't buy into being clutch).

I just think you are reading much too much into that one interview... and I see no negative effects in its aftermath so far... Lavy said he thought Bryz has been a good teammate all season, and that was that; case was closed, and Bryz has mad a point to not talk about himself and deflect the praise to his teammates... Bryz is a smart cookie who is not too old not too stubborn to learn.

Old
03-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Why you would ever take Hartnell away from Giroux I don't know. He has a realistic look at 40 goals.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post

As I said before, I agree that Briere maybe should not have been so open to the Media and kept his thoughts to himself
then we agree. it sends a bad message. he can say that in the room, but not publicly.

Old
03-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
then we agree. it sends a bad message. he can say that in the room, but not publicly.
Yes we agree on that part, it was the other part of your post (the part I bolded) that I could not agree with.

Old
03-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

fair enough .. there's room for more than 1 opinion here

Old
03-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

this is what i consider unacceptable as well:

Quote:
Carmelo Anthony implies he's playing harder for Woodson

"I think in the last three games, my focus was to have an energy that I haven’t had so far this season, especially on the defensive end,” Carmelo said. “Everybody on this team knows, everybody in the world knows I can score the basketball. It’s not that important to me.”
http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articl...odson/10363045

Old
03-21-2012, 08:17 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

I don't get these Briere arguments. Briere was never a regular season player, he was just a playoffs warrior.

TyrannoMeszarosRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Ryker

You clearly haven't seen his stats then.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:30 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

Quote:
You clearly haven't seen his stats then.
He's been on the decline as of recently, but I think that's due to his injuries, but even then he helps the team out off and on the ice. Even if he's not scoring, he's doing something else. I just find it kind of annoying the way people are ripping on Briere.

"herpderp he didn't score we should trade him"

People should take it easy on him, and start to relax, he's just having a rough patch. It's not like he's freaking Scott Gomez

TyrannoMeszarosRex is offline   Reply With Quote