HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Alfredsson's Pay Cut

Old
03-17-2012, 10:11 PM
illpucks

vCash: 500
Alfredsson's Pay Cut

He goes from 4.5 million this year to 1 million next year. Do you think it will impact his retirement decision? Are there any milestone bonuses? IMO its a huge paycut since his play level will likely stay the same.

illpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 10:17 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
He wanted to take the pay cut

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 10:18 PM
dmarc
SENS!!!!!!!

Yeah, sure its a ****** pay cut but at this point its either 1mil or nothing, its up to him, but I hope and expect him to take the former

dmarc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Sens Rule

He agreed to the 3 year deal. Doubt money is an
Issue at all at this point for him. Hope he signs a 1 year 4-5 million contract after next year!!! Like Lidstrom... Hope he wants to play until he is 42 or 43!

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2

His cap hit is 4.8m because he got 7m the year before. I doubt he cares, most players prefer to have frontloaded contracts because you can get your money sooner, plus if you get bought out later on you won't lose out on as much potential earnings.

Tap on the Ankle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:27 PM
masterandy

His contract will be re-negotiated. It has always been a 2 year extension. They only added the 3rd year to lower the cap hit. I'm sure they will do the same again this year...buy him out and sign him to a new deal.

masterandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:57 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterandy View Post
His contract will be re-negotiated. It has always been a 2 year extension. They only added the 3rd year to lower the cap hit. I'm sure they will do the same again this year...buy him out and sign him to a new deal.
They can't do that. What happened before was a unique thing with the cap because of team and player options. If he is bought out he is UFA and he can sign with any team EXCEPT the Sens

Old
03-18-2012, 12:00 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

If Alfredsson returns for next season he will honour the contract he has.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:31 AM
masterandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
They can't do that. What happened before was a unique thing with the cap because of team and player options. If he is bought out he is UFA and he can sign with any team EXCEPT the Sens
Thanks, didn't know that.

masterandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 04:28 AM
MiscBrah

If you actually think that alfie is that kind of player than I really don't think we are watching the same ottawa senators.

MiscBrah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 08:22 AM
tony d
The man

I think Alfie will take a deal that benefis the team moreso than it does him.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Sens Rule

I hope it comes that Alfredsson signs another contract. That means at least 2 more years of Alfie. I think he will get at least $4 million. The team is not going to cheap out on him and Alfredsson is not going to really care about the $$$ so I am guessing an approx $4 million one year deal if it happens.

Old
03-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Tundraman
Survivalist

Alfie has already proven to this city in so many ways the kind of man he is. Under a previous ownership, as one of the higher paid players, he was willing to push back his salary payments to keep the team afloat even though there was a risk he could lose it all if the team owners went bankrupt.

Since Alfie is already signed for next year, there is no rush to make any deal public but they will have to talk at season's end. There is a strong bond of trust between the parties involved so Alfie, Bryan Murray and Eugene can agree on general terms with a handshake and then confirm the deal during next season when the new CBA is set down. I'm sure Alfie won't sign anything longer than a 1-2 year extension unless it benefits the club's cap and he feels he can contribute at least 1 more year after the next so the Sens can get full value for his services.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 09:11 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Guy is one-timing laser beams from the boards (those two goals vs Thomas) and he's considering retirement? Well his family plays a part in that decision as well so I don't think he doubts his ability he just needs to determine what works best for his family. Frankly I can't imagine his children growing up without being cognisant of the fact he wears a C and is the heart and inspiration of the Ottawa Senators. He should play till they're like 14 or 15.

MainDotC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I really doubt it. If he retires it will be because he doesn't want to play anymore, not because of the money. The end of your career is the worst time to get greedy.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Lenny the Lynx

It's not a pay cut at all, it's the last year of a front loaded contract. he did take a hometown deal, but you can't phrase it like someone is cutting his pay for some reason.

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 05:45 AM
sens4life
CLASSLESS

As others have posted here, there is no doubt that Alfie will be receiving only 1 million next year.

The much more interesting question is what Alfie "expects" from the organization in terms of spending. Given the Sens success this year, and the modest amount they would be saving on him next year, it wouldn't be out of line for the org to go to him and ask him, "who do you want here next year", and at least try to go out and get that piece or pieces.

I think Alfie's okay with earning 1 mill next year. What he shouldn't be okay with is the Sens pocketing that money in savings and claiming they are in rebuilding mode, and stay a floor team.

sens4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:23 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

players don't look at contracts as yearly salaries, they look the total amount. It's not a 'pay cut' for him. If he plays next year, he'll play for $1M and the money won't be a concern.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:55 AM
PoutineSp00nZ

Money has never been the driving force behind Alfie's desire to play. From taking less then market value throughout his career, to not demanding his cheques on time when Rod Bryden couldn't afford to pay him. To being willling to give back part of his salary in order for the team to afford bringing in deadline players like Peter Bondra.

If he wants to play, he'll play. I doubt his decision will have much to do with money.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:15 AM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

vCash: 2391
It's a frontloaded contract designed to give him more money up front and less money as he declines. He's playing the game at this point for more than just the money.

03-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Rumcajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I think Alfie will take a deal that benefis the team moreso than it does him.
Exactly. At this point in his life he wants a championship. To do so we will need to spend some cash to force another top 6 player to complement Zibanejad and Silfverberg.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 12:19 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
This has been discussed to death, and I agree with the other posters here. Alfie is (to put it lightly) a very honorable man, and he has never ceased to amaze me with his unselfishness. He will play next year if and only if he feels he can contribute, if he wants to, and if he feels it is not hurting his family. If he does at any point sign an extension beyond next season, he can write his own cheque, which would be dangerous for many players, but Alfie would play for free if he thought it would help the team (and if it were allowed of course).

Whether he plays after this year or not, the city will support him. As great as he is on the ice, his biggest asset is how he rubs off on the young guys.

internetdotcom is online now   Reply With Quote