HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz as a free agent

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Adding DeKeyser or Tennyson to the pool would be a solid move. Both are good players.

You can never have too much quality D in your organization.

Old
03-19-2012, 11:36 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I don't see why Bickel isn't a preferable option for 7th Dman/ 13th forward utility player than Eminger or Stralman.

That said, it dpends on if Stu would want to stay in that role.
Bingo!
And Stu can do coupla minutes here n dere on 4th line LW.
Erixon is not going anywhere.

They're relying on Erixon to make it so they can trade more established Staal or more likely Girardi for LW / sniper help.

Old
03-19-2012, 11:55 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
They're relying on Erixon to make it so they can trade more established Staal or more likely Girardi for LW / sniper help.
Good young defensemen do not grow on trees. One can never have too many good young defensemen. It is far more important than any sniper help. We are seeing now how much we miss having Sauer. The point is not to diminish your strength. I highly doubt that Staal (or Girardi) are getting traded.

Old
03-19-2012, 12:08 PM
NYR Viper

Schultz would be a GREAT pick-up. Offensively, he is on par with Erixon. He would probably need 1 year in the AHL but you bring him in, and the Rangers have the best defensive pool int he entire league easily.

Old
03-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Good young defensemen do not grow on trees. One can never have too many good young defensemen. It is far more important than any sniper help. We are seeing now how much we miss having Sauer. The point is not to diminish your strength. I highly doubt that Staal (or Girardi) are getting traded.
agreed....to a point though...I mean...what happens if we have Staal, Girardi, Sauer, McDonagh, MDZ, McIlrath, Schultz, and Erixon

Just, hypothetically, if they all turn out like we hope, thats 8 good defenseman. Of course the Rangers would trade 1 or 2 to shore up an area of need. That's what good teams do, develop, and use redundant assets to help elsewhere.

Old
03-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
agreed....to a point though...I mean...what happens if we have Staal, Girardi, Sauer, McDonagh, MDZ, McIlrath, Schultz, and Erixon

Just, hypothetically, if they all turn out like we hope, thats 8 good defenseman. Of course the Rangers would trade 1 or 2 to shore up an area of need. That's what good teams do, develop, and use redundant assets to help elsewhere.
Which two do u think would get shipped out first? My guess is Sauer and Staal

Old
03-19-2012, 12:28 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o View Post
I think it depends entirely on the player that they are targeting and what pieces the other team is asking for.

Obviously if you are going after a lesser skilled top 6 forward you might get away with dealing a healthy Sauer along with other pieces. If you're acquiring a young stud top 6 forward it would probably have to hurt more, something around Staal++++

03-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o View Post
I might say Girardi would get moved after next season. Think about it, his value is at an all time high right now, his contract has a cap hit of 3.3 mill for another 2 seasons. Considering all the people who need to get raises in these next 2 years, we could get some great value. Staal is in almost the same position contractually but has an extra year and a slightly larger cap hit at 4 mill. I wouldn't wanna lose either of these guys but our cap situation will force our hand in dealing one of them by the 13-14 season.

Old
03-19-2012, 12:44 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Well, if you have 8, then you can start to trade. But first, I would see if we actually get all of them playing at same time. To me, Erixon is another year away, Mclrath is at least 2years away and Schultz is not here. So there is time. But until I have more defensemen than slots for defensemen, there is no sense in trading them away.

Old
03-19-2012, 12:51 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Gilroy? We're bringing up Gilroy as a comparable?

He's a stud PMD prospect that is possibly not signing with the team that drafted him. He isn't some journeyman college UFA.
Yes, we really are.

Not only did Gilroy put up staggering numbers, while being billed as a star two-way D with great wheels, BUT all but like 4 NHL teams were legit trying to get.

Someone said he was 27. He wasn't, he was 25. Schultz is 21... that is not a tremendous difference when you're talking about polished prospects. Of course, pre-draft there is a huge difference between a 17-year-old kid and a 21-year-old OAer.

People put way too much emphasis on age, especially when you're talking 21-25, NCAA, non-pro... and remember, Gilroy was built like an 18-year-old.

I'm not saying don't sign him, just don't have expectations. Remember Gilroy and Thomas Pock (identical situation). Hell, remember the Zuccarellos, Heikkinens, Baldwins, Jamtins, Denisovs, Yeremeyevs, Fabian Brunnstroms (mostly Euros, but same fundamental concept, just drawing a blank on unrafted NCAA signees)... then again, remember the Girardis...

Old
03-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Yes, we really are.

Not only did Gilroy put up staggering numbers, while being billed as a star two-way D with great wheels, BUT all but like 4 NHL teams were legit trying to get.

Someone said he was 27. He wasn't, he was 25. Schultz is 21... that is not a tremendous difference when you're talking about polished prospects. Of course, pre-draft there is a huge difference between a 17-year-old kid and a 21-year-old OAer.

People put way too much emphasis on age, especially when you're talking 21-25, NCAA, non-pro... and remember, Gilroy was built like an 18-year-old.

I'm not saying don't sign him, just don't have expectations. Remember Gilroy and Thomas Pock (identical situation). Hell, remember the Zuccarellos, Heikkinens, Baldwins, Jamtins, Denisovs, Yeremeyevs, Fabian Brunnstroms (mostly Euros, but same fundamental concept, just drawing a blank on unrafted NCAA signees)... then again, remember the Girardis...
No offense dude but i think Gilroy is a HORRIBLE comparison to Shultz. First off 4 years is a HUGE difference in a developmental curve. Not sure how you can say there isnt.. Thats like saying would you rather dan girardi now at 27 or Ryan Mcdonagh at 21yo? Not sure how you can say a player is done developing at the ripe age of 21yo..

Yes Gilroy put up great numbers but he was also playing against players 3-5years younger than him. If your not dominating the competition that is much younger than you are then im not sure how you can think he should deserve such high praise. I never thought much of Gilroy then or now.

I would agree with you if both players were overagers but they arent. One is playing against players his own age while the other other playing against MUCH younger competition. Not sure how you cant see the difference.

Lastly, Zucca is still a prospect for us and has been producing at a .5ppg clip which is great! Not sure how you can say he is a failed experiment when he dominating the AHL and producing in the NHL. Then Jamtin who just signed with us is also dominating in the AHL and hasnt been given a shot in the NHL yet. I really dont get any of these comparisons from you. Some players of course fail to make it but that doesnt mean you stop pursing players bc they MAY fail.

I agree with everyone else here, you go after Shultz and give him a chance.. If he makes it, its a great problem to have! If he doesnt, so what? Its not ruining the rangers team or farm system. The kid has alot of potential and room to grow.

Old
03-19-2012, 01:10 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Well, if you have 8, then you can start to trade. But first, I would see if we actually get all of them playing at same time. To me, Erixon is another year away, Mclrath is at least 2years away and Schultz is not here. So there is time. But until I have more defensemen than slots for defensemen, there is no sense in trading them away.
Agreed. IMO, we need to have at least 5 dmen on the roster who are legitimate top-4. Right now we have 4 with Girardi, McD, Staal and MDZ. Sauer gives us 5 if he's healthy.

If Erixon shows next year that he can be a top 4 guy, and Sauer comes back healthy, then maybe we deal Sauer (assuming the other 4 guys are healthy). If we get Schultz and he becomes a top 4, or McIlrath becomes a top 4 at some point in the future, then we can look at maybe trading someone else. But I think it's a good idea to maintain a steady influx of good young defenders.

Old
03-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Bingo!
And Stu can do coupla minutes here n dere on 4th line LW.
Erixon is not going anywhere.

Agree! I believe the team will make a deal but not before addressing Sauers health status and also addressing the potential hole the departure of a Staal or Girardi would create here. I believe Staal would garner a bigger return in a trade but Girardi might be scapegoated because his style of game isn't geared to a long and healthy career.

Old
03-19-2012, 01:18 PM
NYR Viper

It's a simple matter of adding an asset for free. This is something the Rangers will NEED to do if they want to be a perennial playoff team as they won't be drafting very high. Stock-pile free assets like Zuccarello, Wellman (Traded for waiver-wire pick-up), Stralman, Schultz. JAM.

Old
03-19-2012, 01:29 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Well, not done developing at 21, but and adult, yes. Would you rather have Toews at, what, 22, or Dubinsky at 26? Conversley, rather have Datsyuk, 30 and change, or Anisimov.

Gilroy, 25, Schultz, 21, both non-pros, never had been pro, nope, no big difference. I guess there is difference in the fact that Schultz went 2nd round in his draft year, and has been stellar longer than Gilroy was. THAT is the biggest difference, not 3-plus years (again, Gilroy was physically about 20 or less).

Didn't know Jamtin was doing as well -- regardless, not here... and Zuccarello, I doubt is long for the organization, which clearly has zero faith in his strength or defensive ability. The other guys were not comparisons, I just wanted to show the concept--bring in a guy with no NHL-experience and expect him to be good/make a difference.

And I also agree, sign him, hell max out the bonuses if need be. Just don't expect 55pts. as rookie, or 5, or maybe any ever. But like many have said, always a diamond in the rough.

Old
03-19-2012, 01:34 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Well, not done developing at 21, but and adult, yes. Would you rather have Toews at, what, 22, or Dubinsky at 26? Conversley, rather have Datsyuk, 30 and change, or Anisimov.

Gilroy, 25, Schultz, 21, both non-pros, never had been pro, nope, no big difference. I guess there is difference in the fact that Schultz went 2nd round in his draft year, and has been stellar longer than Gilroy was. THAT is the biggest difference, not 3-plus years (again, Gilroy was physically about 20 or less).

Didn't know Jamtin was doing as well -- regardless, not here... and Zuccarello, I doubt is long for the organization, which clearly has zero faith in his strength or defensive ability. The other guys were not comparisons, I just wanted to show the concept--bring in a guy with no NHL-experience and expect him to be good/make a difference.

And I also agree, sign him, hell max out the bonuses if need be. Just don't expect 55pts. as rookie, or 5, or maybe any ever. But like many have said, always a diamond in the rough.
Who was doing that?

You came in here and compared him to an undrafted journeyman and two non NHL caliber players.

I wouldn't call him a diamond in the rough. He's a pretty highly touted prospect.

Old
03-19-2012, 01:45 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Yes, we really are.

That is a tremendous difference. At 21, Gilroy wasn't even a blip on the NHL radar. Schultz is better than a point per game on a team that's having a down year.

Quote:

All undrafted players were undrafted for a reason. The odds of any of them becoming good NHL players is low. But there are more than enough successes that NHL teams have to keep looking and try to sign the ones they feel can become good players.

Besides, what's the downside? Does it really matter to the Rangers if Gilroy fails, or Zucc, or whoever? They didn't give up anything to get those players. They didn't even spend a draft pick on them. The only concern is the 50 contract limit, but I'm sure each team allots a certain number of contracts each year to signing undrafted FAs. So they are going to sign players, it's just a matter of hoping they get lucky.

Schultz is a completely different case. He wasn't undrafted. He was a 2nd round pick (8 picks before Stepan) who may have gone higher if he'd been playing in the CHL rather than the BCHL. Schultz isn't some late bloomer who dominated younger players. He's a kid whose stock was high as an 18 year old and has only improved since. Apples and oranges.

No, that doesn't guarantee that he'll be a good player in the NHL, but he has a far, far better chance than Gilroy did. And for all the crap Gilroy takes, he's become a regular NHL player. He never lived up to the hype, but he's a serviceable bottom pair dman.

Old
03-19-2012, 01:58 PM
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?

If Schultz can break a pane of glass with his slapshot, he's already better than Gilroy.

Old
03-19-2012, 02:01 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

The vidz let look him great, no doubt and woke up my interest in him.
But as somebody said in another thread --> the vidz let all look great.

IŽd like to hear the opinion of somebody who has seen him on reguarly basis, seen also DStep and Ryan and should so be able to say where this kid stands and what he could bring with pro coaches and even better hockey players.

From the vids he looks great, has a good wrister and a good drive through the zones. Hope someone who catches the Badgers games can help me out with my lines above before I get on the "WeŽve to get him train".

Old
03-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickel41 View Post
If the Rangers sign him then they might have to get rid of Stu Bickel
He can return to Hartford and play at the level he should be playing at.

Old
03-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2680
I was reading about him in THN and saying hopefully we can get him. Get it done, Slats!

03-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Snow Soccer

Don't see why he'd sign with us TBH. I'd imagine he'd probably sign somewhere he can get PT.

Old
03-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
Let's not forget Gilroy came out with 20 teams after him right after he won the hobey baker. Schultz however is being hyped up by major cdn media in a way Gilroy wasn't, so I'm guessing the scouts have had better things to say..
Hobey Baker most overrated award in sports..
Krog, Mike Mottau and Gilroy won it and none of them are regular nhl players or a superstar type player...

Old
03-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Soccer View Post
Don't see why he'd sign with us TBH. I'd imagine he'd probably sign somewhere he can get PT.
Is he cool with Stepan and McDonagh?

Old
03-19-2012, 03:05 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Is he cool with Stepan and McDonagh?
I would think so. They only played 1 year together, but I would guess that they are friends. He's probably closer with Gardiner though since they were both anaheim prospects.

Closed Thread