HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Which NHL players have you met and how were they?

Old
03-19-2012, 11:20 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 500
Colin Patterson was my first hockey coach. Great guy, one of the nicest people I ever met.

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Skraut

I worked one game as a cameraman at the Joe in 97. Got lost in the bowels of the arena. Steve Yzerman gave me directions, and even held the door for me while I pushed the camera equip. Always remember him for the way he took the time out of his pre-game to help me.

After a Cleveland Lumberjacks game I was putting my camera gear away, and I got invited into the locker room to meet the Hanson Brothers who were meeting the team. It was funny to see pro athletes with stars in their eyes as they met the Hansons, the same way I was being there and meeting with them. Marty St. Louis was on that team, and I did shake his hand.

Jock Collander was my coach for adult learn to play hockey camp. When a guy with his name on the cup shows you how to shoot, you pay attention

Not a TON of opportunities to meet hockey players in Cleveland, but I haven't done too badly. Met a bunch more recently at Jackets events, and have personally given dvd's of my videos to Nikita Filatov, Jared Boll, and Danny Gare

Last edited by Skraut: 03-19-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 12:24 PM
ean

Ziggy Palffy is a jerk.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 12:44 PM
LakeshoreWest
Leafs in 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Ziggy Palffy is a jerk.
for some reason this made me lol

LakeshoreWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:05 PM
mbhhofr

I met a few. However, one sticks out. Pat Stapleton. I was an emergency replacement Linesman for a game between the Minnesota North Stars and the Chicago Blackhawks. I didn't have a chance to prepare for the game, as I was told that I would be working the game thirty minutes before it was scheduled to start. In fact I didn't have my equipment with me and had to go home to get it. Fortunately, I lived ten minutes from the rink. I got on the ice five minutes into the first period. I couldn't even warm up. Skating around the ice before the start of the third period, Stapleton, who was the Hawks Captain, skated up beside me and told me that I was doing a good job. That really meant a lot to me and relaxed me. The next time I saw him, thirty-one years later, I got to thank him again and tell him how much that meant to me and how it took a lot of pressure off of me.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Ozz

I also want to know the Tie Domi story

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:48 PM
The Beezer

Around 1984, my family took a vacation to San Francisco. We were on our way to the Redwood Forest (on a tour bus), when we stopped at a scenic overlook of the Golden Gate Bridge. I was 12 at the time and just happened to be wearing my Rangers jersey. Out of no where this guy comes up to me and says "Hi I play for the New York Rangers" and I responded with yeah, you're Pierre Larouche. My family was amazed that I knew who it was, but the fact that he approached me absolutely blew my mind. He talked for a minute and then signed an autograph for me and went on his way. I'm still steamed to this day that it didn't dawn on anyone to take a picture. But I still think it's a pretty cool story.

The Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:31 PM
connor macdavid
In the press box

He's not a player, but I sat next to Ken Hitchcock on a flight from Ottawa to Vancouver, and we chatted about the post-lockout NHL, his lack of a job (at the time), and he seemed like a genuinely good guy.
This would've been early 2010...real good guy...feel bad he hasn't gotten another job in the NHL, but it's only a matter of time, right...?
Hope so.

connor macdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:31 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

scott hartnell is a very cool guy. hes extremely approachable and seems very genuine when you talk to him.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:51 PM
martyisgod

Bill Guerin - he was hanging out at a car after a game in the parking lot of the meadowlands. I was maybe 10-11 at the time. My brother asked for him to take a picture with me.. He just screams NO!!!.. I was so scared. But he said something along the lines of "hey man, Im just jokin". Put me on his shoulders as my bro took the pic.

Bobby Carpenter- Absolute D-Bag

Bob Gainey - Saw him in a bar in Montreal a couple years back. He was sitting with his family, and I saw they had some beer. Had their waitress bring them another because I didn't want to draw attention by going over there and asking for pic, etc. He waved me on over to say thanks. Talked for a few mins. Such a nice guy

martyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 03:06 PM
v3rs3

Send a message via AIM to v3rs3
I've met a ton of CBJ players here in Columbus. They have open practices a lot and signings pretty often. I can't honestly think of any guys that were complete jerks. Probably the nicest guys of the current crop would be Derek Dorsett and Derick Brassard. Both are very nice guys and are super good with my son. My son seems to think Dorsett is one of his buddies, everytime we see him he goes out of his way for him.

v3rs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 03:24 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

met a few through signings. Talked to Brooks Orpik last week for a bit as he was signing my jersey, the 29 jersey that I used to have for my avatar. Without shuffling me through the line like I was just another signing, he gave me a bit of history about his first call-up, how he was assigned the number (recycled Oliwa jersey that eventually returned to Oliwa....he thinks), how hammered the jersey was (stitchmarks from collar to crest), and how things used to be with the team. For him to take time out of signing that had at least another hour to tell me about his first callup, even if it was just for 2-3 minutes, was pretty cool.

Dupuis was the same way, willing to answer a few questions about his stuff without even thinking about the line waiting. Caught him at a signing, he asked about the game used stick that I had. Not even thinking that he switched to Bauer, I asked him if he still was all-Easton. He gave me a minute or so about how he was offered "a better deal" with Bauer and wasn't happy with the new Easton sticks.

Billy Tibbetts: a jerk in his pre-NHL days too.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 03:46 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonsOnIce96 View Post
He's not a player, but I sat next to Ken Hitchcock on a flight from Ottawa to Vancouver, and we chatted about the post-lockout NHL, his lack of a job (at the time), and he seemed like a genuinely good guy.
This would've been early 2010...real good guy...feel bad he hasn't gotten another job in the NHL, but it's only a matter of time, right...?
Hope so.
Not sure if serious...

The Ken Hitchcock that's coaching the Blues? Or is this a different Ken Hitchcock?

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 04:04 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Hope so.
huh?

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 04:08 PM
shawn1331

It's VERY common to see phaneuf, his girl friend, bozak, kessel, lupul and macarthur hanging out in the bay-college area because that's where phanuef and kessel live. They have some condos I guess and probably once a day you'll see at least one of them if not all of them hanging out and going for a walk. Kinda cool to see them amongst regular people. Phanuefs a very normal looking guy without his fauxhawk, you have to look for him lol. Kessel and lupul are easy to spot.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Hope so.
Either you or I have suffered a head injury.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Stickmata

Oh yeah, also met Jim Craig at a bar in Vegas and he was a really nice guy.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 04:33 PM
kurt83
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Either you or I have suffered a head injury.
How does one forget about the greatest coaching change/turnaround in many, many years? lol

kurt83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 04:43 PM
OvenChicken8

Comrie - was a really cool guy.
PRV - was very shy, might have been embarrassed because he ol' man was liquored right up.
Dubnyk - was pretty chill and you'd never know he was an athlete, eating at Subway (double meat double cheese)
Laraque - one of the nicest guys I've ever met.
Grier - pretty funny, got a kick out of him showing us how he could make his shoulder click.
Theo Fleury - bit of a dink but I guess I would be too if I had to do an autograph session in the Edmonton area and I was getting chirped at all day.
Dave Manson - really nice, wasn't much of a talker (can't blame him for that though)
Nick Tarnasky - Takes a joke really well, I told him his NHL career was over after he was traded 1-1 for Belak (RIP). He laughed and said you're probably right... I was.

OvenChicken8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Doland
The King is Alive

Martin St Louis wasn't friendly when I met him.
Stamkos was very friendly

Doland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Tyler Durden

Mike Johnson - very cool
Todd Warriner - awesome guy
Wade Belak - he was very funny
Rick Nash - seemed kind of shy
Steve Eminger - funny guy

Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 07:27 PM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

Duncan Keith: Pretty cool. I went to a signing at Meijer and he was playing with all the toys in the toy aisle before he got to the table.

Denis Savard: Incredibly nice and humble. I told him it was a honor to meet him, and he said the honor was his.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Thricecube

Rod the Bod: Super nice
Byron Dafoe: arrogant and reserved, but friendly
Aaron Ward: jerk
Mike Commodore: super hilarious
Ty Wishart: quiet but good sense of humour

Thricecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Cool Beans Man

I've met a decent amount of guys, but the best story for the purpose of this thread was running into James Neal and meeting Jared Boll at a bar. I had the liquid courage to talk to Boll (who was basically by himself) and tell him he helped a ton in my fantasy pool with his PIMS. He had a good laugh and I asked him to fight Orr this year (as Orr had just been signed by the Leafs).

He then proceeded to be basically carried out by Neal and vomited all over the street outside.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 08:31 PM
connor macdavid
In the press box

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
huh?
Congratulations you caught it!

connor macdavid is offline   Reply With Quote