HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps @ Wings Mar 19, 2012 at 7:30 PM ET

Old
03-19-2012, 01:04 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Whats more likely is that we did not address the biggest issue that we had - center/s, and now we are stuck playing the system that we don't have personal or know how to do it properly.
System or lack of C's has nothing to do with the lockerroom issues, the lack of having each others backs, the lip service with no on ice backing it up...

That all reeks of poor team cohesiveness, not lacking a center.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
System or lack of C's has nothing to do with the lockerroom issues, the lack of having each others backs, the lip service with no on ice backing it up...

That all reeks of poor team cohesiveness, not lacking a center.
**** it then, in the off season strip OV of the captaincy DO NOT ADDRESS pressing issue in the center position and see how much better we'll do.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:08 PM
IafrateOvie34

Hoping for the best, expecting mediocre to poor play. My fear is the Caps win and think they won the Winter Classic or SC Finals and slack the rest of the way. Not that they aren't slacking anyway. At this point, I wish the NHL season was over.

Go Caps!

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Ridley Simon

Caps will get drilled tonite

Just like last night. I expect another 5-2 bludgeoning.

Good work, GMGM

Ridley Simon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:25 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Yea, that wasn't what I said at all.
yes, his response to you made me laugh. it had nothing to do with your comment.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:29 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Frankly I'm surprised anyone skated. Late flight on the overnight of a back-to-back? I'd take my chances with the extra rest vs. the extra ice.

Halpern in tonight, probably for Ward, according to TEB.
Amen, on both counts.

Old
03-19-2012, 01:45 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

I can't believe the Jets lost that game last night. Thank God they did. I really wish Brouwer hadn't put Wheeler on his butt during our game against them, triggering the scrum which triggered the 4-on-4. We could have really used the loser point that night. Seems like Florida, Buffalo and Winnipeg are all playing for the loser-point wherever possible. (Though WIN failed at it last night.)

As for the Caps' chances tonight, at least they are facing a weakened and slumping Red Wings team. Not that it ensures victory, not by a long shot. But it improves the chances anyway.

As for Hunter v. Boudreau, I will say this. Hunter has clearly not been a miracle worker, and there are plenty of particular decisions or attributes I find fault with. On the other hand, overall, I do believe the team improved at least marginally.

Several areas come to mind.

1. He is considerably more composed behind the bench than BB. Yes, it borders on 'catatonic,' rather than composed. But I still think it's better than the near-constant exasperation & rage which BB was displaying by the end. It sends a message of discipline and strength which, in theory, rubs off on the players.

2. Fewer embarrassing blowout losses. The wheels don't seem to come off as completely or as often, under Hunter. There are even occasional comeback wins, particularly during the last month.

The team looked extremely emotionally fragile under BB. Under Hunter, it's true that they are boring, and afraid of making mistakes, and they dole out SOG as if they were last gulps of air in a collapsed coal mine. But still, team remains in contention deeper into games, and even completes the occasional comeback.

I don't know whether Hunter will, or should, be invited back for next season. I am even more curious whether he wants to. By all accounts, he loved the London gig. By some accounts, he is frustrated here that 8/28 operate in their own universe, and seem immune to his coaching. On the other hand, as an intense competitor, Hunter may have caught the old NHL bug again during his partial tour of duty this year.

God damn, I hope we win tonight.

Old
03-19-2012, 02:00 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Just like last night. I expect another 5-2 bludgeoning.

Good work, GMGM
Not his fault our D gets beat, turns the puck over. Not his fault they aren't getting shots on net. Not his fault our goalies can let in some easy goals

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Kallejohansson

just give Ovi his beard back and everything will be fine.

Watch out for vintage Ovi tonight, hattrick with 3 signature moves.

Kallejohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:17 PM
CaptainKonoForever

I am hoping I am wrong but don't see this one even being competitive. Our d-men won't know what to do to stop Zetterbeg or Datsyuk me thinks.

CaptainKonoForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:25 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Make videos of their breakouts heh.

We want to emulate Detroit that's fine, but copy more than the winning template for america's team - via draft picks. We go sans a heavy, and turn the cheek at every chance. Rah. It's failed.

Copy the whole damn model dammit. Stop f'in around down there.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:27 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
DVR'd the previous two Caps games and didn't even bother to watch. I wonder if tonights game will make it a three in a row.

Overall this season I will have watched the least amount of games since the jagr year where he was traded.

03-19-2012, 02:35 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Lidstrom, Helm, Franzen out is a good thing for us.

Lidstrom is the last remaining smart dman on their team. I literally watched against the Sharks, they were letting some crazy stuff happen and Howard bailed them out.

Helm is a good pker, would victimize Wideman, beating him to retrieve a puck on the PK and scoring a wrap around.

Datsyuk without Franzen doesn't look great, Babcock won't know what to do, so he'll put Holmstrom with Datsyuk even though he should put Miller with Datsyuk.

Trust me, people may say good things about the Red Wings, but the Red Wings fan base is mad, they think Babcock is an idiot with the way he is doing thing, almost feels like they are at the point of our 8 game losing streak last year. They are starting to promote the idea they aren't skilled enough to play Red Wings hockey.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Dream Big

Can someone clarify what the priority of the team is?

Is it to cover their man where ever that "man" goes?

It appears to me that they get assigned someone and are responsible to chase him around. If that is the #1 priority I think they are achieving their assignment. I see players all over the ice beside or close to their check.

When the defense do get a hold of the puck where are they supposed to pass it to? The forwards are checking their assignment which means a pass to the foward has a fifty fifty chance to go to a Cap or get picked off by an opposing player .

Last edited by Dream Big: 03-19-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:41 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Just like the Caps... I have this game on my schedule... don't know if I'll show up.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Not his fault our D gets beat, turns the puck over. Not his fault they aren't getting shots on net. Not his fault our goalies can let in some easy goals
You're right, its probably the fault of the guy that brought in said D, that brought in said players that turn the puck over, that brought in said players who arent getting shots on net, who brought in said goalies that let in some easy goals.

oh wait-- who was the guy that brought in all these players with all of these problems?

Care to think about that again, LesPaul?

Old
03-19-2012, 02:50 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Apparently it might be swimmer77's night. Looks like Hamrlik may return to the ice.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
When the defense do get a hold of the puck where are they supposed to pass it to? The forwards are checking their assignment which means a pass to the foward has a fifty fifty chance to go to a Cap or get picked off by an opposing player .
Pass it? Clearly when the defense gets the puck their job is to blindly dump it in the opposite corner and then hope their team wins the chase and then the battle for the puck and by that time the other team will be so tired they will go for a change and thus a free out.

Some might laugh but that blind dump into the other corner happens so much that it has to be by design...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 03:23 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
You're right, its probably the fault of the guy that brought in said D, that brought in said players that turn the puck over, that brought in said players who arent getting shots on net, who brought in said goalies that let in some easy goals.

oh wait-- who was the guy that brought in all these players with all of these problems?

Care to think about that again, LesPaul?
You agree that all these players have talent correct? That they, on other teams played well? You agree?

But now all the sudden, they get here and suck? Wonder why that is

Old
03-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
You agree that all these players have talent correct? That they, on other teams played well? You agree?

But now all the sudden, they get here and suck? Wonder why that is
cant say. Erskine, Green, Semin, Etc etc etc havent played on other teams in years, if ever. The salaries GMGM gave to Hamrlik, Ward, etc etc hamstrung his ability to do anything as well.

And if you are *implying* its the coaches..well then tell me genius, who selected the coaches?

I really dont see how you can focus the issues of this team on anyone but the architect?

Old
03-19-2012, 04:02 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
cant say. Erskine, Green, Semin, Etc etc etc havent played on other teams in years, if ever. The salaries GMGM gave to Hamrlik, Ward, etc etc hamstrung his ability to do anything as well.

And if you are *implying* its the coaches..well then tell me genius, who selected the coaches?

I really dont see how you can focus the issues of this team on anyone but the architect?
It is not the coaches fault they are doing the same things I mentioned. Its 90% the players

Old
03-19-2012, 04:02 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
**** it then, in the off season strip OV of the captaincy DO NOT ADDRESS pressing issue in the center position and see how much better we'll do.
I'm not saying strip Ovy. I never would because I think it would cause permanent damage. BUT, something has to be done to change the core of this team.

I would address the C issue with the outbound Green/Semin combo some are suggesting. And I would address it by getting a strong Captain-type leader at C.

Old
03-19-2012, 04:03 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

It is George's fault if he hords young D as he has to play them. And thin C depth is on his shoulders, adding Ws Ds and G's instead. Ovi screwed up the detroit model and made us contenders long before George's plan of mega puck mover mobile D hording came to fruition.

That said, our team cannot even receive or hold onto pucks. Led by Ovi who seems to have added Semin grade falls into his arsenal.

I dont think drill work can fix what I see. It would be easier to add players that can do hockey basics eyes closed, than teach the troops hockey 101. Amazingly Aucoin has increased our skill level, so has Beagle, yet I think some wonder why they are getting so much TOI.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 03-19-2012 at 04:15 PM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 04:03 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Just like the Caps... I have this game on my schedule... don't know if I'll show up.
HAHAHAH!

Old
03-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
DVR'd the previous two Caps games and didn't even bother to watch. I wonder if tonights game will make it a three in a row.

Overall this season I will have watched the least amount of games since the jagr year where he was traded.
I do the same with the recording part, but then still end up winding my self up (watching) like an idiot. I guess hope dies last...

Wouldn't it be funny after all this we end up winning tonight

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote