HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Jack Johnson on CBC After Hours

Old
03-19-2012, 05:05 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

vCash: 500
Jack Johnson on CBC After Hours

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 06:44 PM
MsWoof

That was good, he seems like a stand up guy. I can't get over how much his accent sounds Canadian even though he's never played up here.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Kings man 4 life

Best wishes to JJ, honestly think he was being held back by the system.

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Kingurentai

Never was a huge JJ fan, but that thing about DL taking shots at him p*ssed me off.

Stay classy, DL.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 07:24 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
Never was a huge JJ fan, but that thing about DL taking shots at him p*ssed me off.

Stay classy, DL.
What did he say?

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
I forgot that he flew up for the opening ceremonies in Vancouver. He really does seem like a great guy.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
Never was a huge JJ fan, but that thing about DL taking shots at him p*ssed me off. Stay classy, DL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
What did he say?
It was in 2010, was overblown at the time, and everyone took a side with many thinking Johnson would soon be traded, then came Johnson signing his long term home town discount to remain a King ... guess those that thought Lombardi really holds a grudge and would trade Johnson got their wish, just took awhile

Re-cap from 2010' "Battle of Michigan ?" - http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/01/22...e-of-michigan/

Lombardi's words - http://media.fans.kings.nhl.com/_Dea...idgetId=282679
Quote:
Lombardi had heavy criticism for University of Michigan hockey coach Red Berenson. Lombardi called Berenson’s program “the worst” for development and said the Kings defenseman Jack Johnson, a Michigan product, was “awful as a hockey player” at Michigan, before praising Johnson’s post-college development.
Johnson's Reply Back to Lombardi - http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...ulous+Forum%29
Quote:
Johnson’s “irate” response to Helene Elliott of the L.A. Times, in which Johnson heavily defends Michigan, Berenson and himself and calls Lombardi’s comments “irresponsible and unprofessional.”
Ahhhh what good times those were ... can't wait to see who's next on Lombardi's **** list ... or will maybe Lombardi be on AEG's **** list and be gone before he can tattoo his stamp onto yet another 'fan favorite'

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
If jack really wanted to stay in la, then he shouldn't have been outplayed by a 22-year old rookie.

Jack wasn't blameless. Murray gets a lot of he blame too, but he was already fired.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:32 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Johnson would have been better served to play at least a half season in Manchester. He would have gotten some exposure to the AHL playoffs as well. Oh well.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:13 PM
theMajor

vCash: 3066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings man 4 life View Post
Best wishes to JJ, honestly think he was being held back by the system.
hes already shown what hes capable of when he doesnt have a system weighing him down... i cant help but wonder what other King's players could be. in any case, hes a great guy and its awesome seeing him happy in CLB. wish him the best!

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Vamos Rafa
ˇVamos!

His voice has improved. I remember he always sounded like he had damaged vocal cords in his interviews as a King.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:31 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMajor View Post
hes already shown what hes capable of when he doesnt have a system weighing him down... i cant help but wonder what other King's players could be. in any case, hes a great guy and its awesome seeing him happy in CLB. wish him the best!
Your going to bring up a system from 6 years ago against college players????

Or do you mean Cbus where he has 6 pts in 11 games as opposed to the 42 in 82 he had last year....yup clearly he has "broke out"....

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:48 PM
theMajor

vCash: 3066
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post

Or do you mean Cbus where he has 6 pts in 11 games as opposed to the 42 in 82 he had last year....yup clearly he has "broke out"....
did you even read my post? i didnt mention his college play nor did i say he 'broke out', keep reaching!

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:04 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMajor View Post
did you even read my post? i didnt mention his college play nor did i say he 'broke out', keep reaching!
"hes already shown what hes capable of when he doesnt have a system weighing him down"

How is someone suppose to interpret that?? He has played more or less 3 systems, Michigan/TM/now Cbus (Crawford to but don't think those numbers help your point...)

So what system has he proved what he is capable of when "not being weighed down"?

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Oh I remember the fun in arguing in those threads.

Someone should interview Sather and Tortorella and ask if Hagelin was coached properly.Amazing with those four years he spent at "the worst" place in the country that he has been able to be one of the Rangers best all around players this season as a rookie.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

I thought hagelin was a forward?

Old
03-20-2012, 10:53 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
If jack really wanted to stay in la, then he shouldn't have been outplayed by a 22-year old rookie.

Jack wasn't blameless. Murray gets a lot of he blame too, but he was already fired.
That's debatable but if it's true than 22 year old rookie outplayed DD too. I think every analyst, Jack himself and most fans place the blame directly on the Kings. I mean he's a +5 and has 3 fights since he moved.

no name is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:57 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post

He's on pace to score 47 points, have a +12 and 27 fights with Columbus.

no name is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:26 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
He's on pace to score 47 points, have a +12 and 27 fights with Columbus.
So 47 points instead of 42 is some massive improvement? It likely doesn't hurt that he's averaging 26:18 a game since going to Columbus. He has been averaging 27:43 per game the last seven games, which is when he's scored five of his points as well. That's a full 5+ minutes per game more than he was getting in LA. I wouldn't take his slightly increase offensive pace for much.

The +/- you may have a point on, but time will tell. It is a team stat and Columbus is playing well as a team after some trades went down. I'd look more at next year under what will likely be another new system (unless they keep Richards as Head Coach) before saying the +/- is better.

I'm not sure why more fights is a vital sign of a break out either. I'd look at it the other way, why would I want my 27 minute defenseman fighting every third game, risking concussions or a broken hand?

Our goals against average over the past 11 games since Johnson was dealt is 2.08, or slightly down from our seasonal average of 2.10. Our goal per game pace has been 3.45 goals per game, or about 1.3 goals per game more than when Jack Johnson was here.

Conversely, Columbus has score 2.17 goals per game since Johnson went to Columbus, down from the 2.30 or so before the trade. Columbus has allowed 2.53 goals per game, which is a huge improvement on the 3.22 goals against average they had prior to the trade.

What does this all mean? It was a deal that benefitted both teams, but it doesn't indicate that Jack Johnson was in any way being held back in LA, or that he's erupted in Columbus. That was also the assessment of the trade at the time it went down, that he was a solid player here and would be in Columbus. There is no need to debate what hasn't changed. Johnson is a good two-way player no matter where he is playing.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:28 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
That's debatable but if it's true than 22 year old rookie outplayed DD too. I think every analyst, Jack himself and most fans place the blame directly on the Kings. I mean he's a +5 and has 3 fights since he moved.
Getting traded will do that for a player sometimes. I wish the guy success, but let's not pretend that he wasn't partly responsible.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Johnny Utah

3 fights? The fight sites say he only has 1 fight, against Landeskog.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Love the trade for Carter, but I'm still going to miss Jack. He exudes leadership and is a great teammate. Some day he'll be wearing the 'C' on his sweater and I still do have hope that he pans out as one of the top end all-around defensemen in the NHL.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Johnny Utah

Just another case of a young player excelling elsewhere. I don't mind this deal, felt like Jack never really fit behind Doughty....I like Carter and he has brought an element we haven't had since Palffy.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Just another case of a young player excelling elsewhere. I don't mind this deal, felt like Jack never really fit behind Doughty....I like Carter and he has brought an element we haven't had since Palffy.
Jack has 1 more goal and point than Voynov since the trade. And Voynov is a +6, same system that was "holding" Jack back.

Voynov doesn't play the same minutes either.

I take the Jack's top 4 spot (Voynov)+Carter for Jack+1st every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
This is awkward, I actually agree with you Not only that, but you said pretty much exactly what I would have said.

I was a champion for this deal. I love Johnson, but this is a deal that needed to be made. Voynov is a player better suited for the role of second powerplay quarterback, and he may even be the best at the position currently as Doughty has struggled a bit this year and the last, but still has a tremendous ceiling and growth ahead as well. Johnson is a top dog and he was never going to fulfill that role here in LA.

We needed a pure goal scorer and Carter has the abilities to be a game changer. He is absolutely not Penner 2.0, question the tabloids and nonsense of him off the ice, but this is an elite goal scorer in the NHL without question. His speed and shot make him absolutely deadly. Ironically enough, I was thinking just the other game that he reminds me of a bigger version of Palffy with less hands but more defensive awareness. He gives us the ability to make a counter with speed instantly and is always looking for the breakaway. He is also on that dream of a contract...

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote