HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Damn... fans have really given up

Old
03-19-2012, 10:33 PM
SB164

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Longest active streak without a cup and longest active streak without making the playoffs. They are the Chicago Cubs of hockey.
Is the waffle thrower their Steve Bartman?

SB164 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Is the waffle thrower their Steve Bartman?
I guess it's either him or Carlton the Bear.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:41 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
It would serve the tankards right if the Habs got high draft choices several years in a row and still didn't make the playoffs. Their perverse gloating would choke them, the way those blokes in Ontario perennially suffer.
you do realize that the (us) tankards don't want to or expect to have to go through this again, right?

While a FEW people had expressed the will to tank for years like Pitt et al., the people who are hanging around to hope we get the lottery are for the most part (me included) the ones who really wanted the Habs to make the playoffs THIS season. Then they just sucked so hard. Then we looked at the standings and thought.....waiiiiit a second, we DO have a chance to draft a very needed piece of the puzzle.

Perverse gloating? Wut?

All we want is a top5 pick THIS YEAR. Are you saying you do NOT want that and would rather come 11th in the eastern conference and perhaps get the 10th pick? This season will therefore have been absolutely useless. If we pick high this year, I'm telling you the summer will be very bearable comparatively. Sorry for the perverse gloating!

FTR my backpack has a big Habs pin and I still wear my Habs tshirts on campus. And I live in Ontario.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:44 PM
pine
irregistered user

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
I was at the game on Saturday.....it was about as dead as I have ever heard it. Pathetic.
Doesn't help that it was against the Islanders, of all teams.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Get new friends.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:50 PM
jwolf

Fans who understand hockey will probably see some good and some bad from this season. The bad being the obvious omission from the playoffs, but the good might be the best for the long term. I, like many of you, have wanted them to sink in the standings since January simply because it's the best strategy for the future.

No matter how much we love this team, no knowledgable hockey fan can look at this line-up and say we're a year-in-year-out cup contender. There are one or two major components missing that can only be acquired via top-5 picks. One step back to take 2 or 3 forward. Chess not checkers!

As for the fans that have given up: all it takes is a winning season to bring them back into the fold. Works every time! I believe this is a much better team than their position in the standings and I honestly feel that they can stir things up next season. Some key things have to happen this Summer, but it's very do-able.

Chin up, Habonauts!!

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:55 PM
WeeBey

If you didn't know who Rene Bourque was before he came to Montreal then you're probably not a very big hockey fan to begin with.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
I'm glad we're tanking rather than being on the cusp of a playoff appearance because it's better for the longterm. But if anyone talks to me about the Habs I still shake my head and say "****ing Habs...". A high draft pick is only a consolation prize. There's nothing to be happy about now. We're all just hoping and praying that this bottom-dwelling status is short-lived and we'll be able to rebound with a good prospect. A real fan can't be happy or proud about the current state of affairs.
Your reasoning amuses me. You're kept in a dank dungeon and are fed moldy bread, decaying vegetables, rotten fruit, and warm, flat beer. You say, "I'm glad I'm in this dank dungeon, subsisting on moldy bread for two or three years, because I'll feel pure elation when I get out of the dungeon."

Alas, your story doesn't end well. This time the Habs and their newly acquired Russian mercenaries get to the second round and are eliminated by the Bruins, Leafs, or Flyers. At least when you we in the dungeon you were full of hope.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:04 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Your reasoning amuses me. You're kept in a dank dungeon and are fed moldy bread, decaying vegetables, rotten fruit, and warm, flat beer. You say, "I'm glad I'm in this dank dungeon, subsisting on moldy bread for two or three years, because I'll feel pure elation when I get out of the dungeon."

Alas, your story doesn't end well. This time the Habs and their newly acquired Russian mercenaries get to the second round and are eliminated by the Bruins, Leafs, or Flyers. At least when you we in the dungeon you were full of hope.

In this dungeon, the mouldier your bread, the better chance you escape and get to f the princess.

BTW, what exactly is your alternative strategy for improving the Habs being in 15th place since it's NOT getting a good draft pick? If you say something like improve management, get a good coach, etc., you're not disagreeing with anyone here. It's possible to have your mouldy bread and eat it too.

Old
03-19-2012, 11:07 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
If you didn't know who Rene Bourque was before he came to Montreal then you're probably not a very big hockey fan to begin with.

see goals 1 and 3

Old
03-19-2012, 11:16 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I've got news for you... the moldy bread is being served to you because we commited the crime of not investing in younger talent long ago. It's punishment for trading away Ryan McD for Scott Gomez and a whole slew of other sins.

And you seem to think we're only getting served flat beer THIS year. Dude, we've been getting flat beer for almost two decades now. Nobody is happy about this. You're talking like people want to finish low now just for the sake of it.

Good Sir... we are ALREADY at the bottom. Once you fall out of the playoffs it's mouldy bread for everyone. The good news is though that after every hockey season everybody gets a bag of gold. And the league takes pity on the poorest of the lot so they have come up with a consolation prize for eating all that mouldy bread. The lower you land the bigger your bag of gold.

It's not the flat beer and moldy bread that excites us, it's the gold.
Quote:
As opposed to the storybook endings we've been seeing since the mid 90s right? We haven't had a sip of champagne in a long time dude. You want us to keep doing things the same way and every year not being sure whether or not we're going to get a decent meal at the end or more mouldy bread.

Yes, the gold may not be enough to win a championship. And worse, it may turn out to be fool's gold. But once you're outside the playoffs anyway you're stuck eating that mouldy bread just like all the rest. You might as well get the biggest bag you can and hope for the best. It's worked for others and we've got a very good expert who's been pretty good at spotting the fake stuff.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 03-19-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:29 PM
The Russian General
#FireTherrien

I never thought I'd say this but I want this season to end as fast as possible. It's really tough to watch, plus now they're racking non needed points... This team is not as bad as the standings shows and if we could get a great prospect this summer, this suffering will at least be worth something. I'm pretty sure that with a decent retool, the Habs are back in the playoffs next season.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:57 PM
coolasprICE

For the mass (especially 1st generation fans), just making the playoffs in the last 7 years was more than enough to satisfy their spring/cup fever excitement.

But now it's a bit of been there done that - I'm pretty sure an 8th place finish this year would feel like a greater failure than in years past only because it's feeling very routine at this point.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:02 AM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
It's never fun to lose. But it's for the best.
Not if the best player in the draft gets taken in the 10-15 range.

hogtownhabsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:11 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Not if the best player in the draft gets taken in the 10-15 range.
Possible, but unlikely. Anyway, it's better to have a choice. Also, what if the best player gets picked 30th. We should have aimed for the Cup. You know, for the pick.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:14 AM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Possible, but unlikely. Anyway, it's better to have a choice. Also, what if the best player gets picked 30th. We should have aimed for the Cup. You know, for the pick.
The comment was in direct relation to my growing belief that this years Giroux/Karlsson is Sebastian Collberg, and most mock drafts have him in the 10-15 range.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:30 AM
WeeBey

Quote:
The comment was in direct relation to my growing belief that this years Giroux/Karlsson is Sebastian Collberg, and most mock drafts have him in the 10-15 range.
Karlsson is not the best player in his draft class. Neither is Giroux.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:39 AM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
Karlsson is not the best player in his draft class. Neither is Giroux.
Well Karlsson is in the same draft class as Stammer, but the kid is setting the world on fire. And can you please explain how Giroux isn't the best player from the 2006 draft? Your talking about 2 MVP types under the age of 25. But to be clear, I was comparing Collberg to Giroux in regards to their playing styles, as well to Karlsson as a guy who was underrated on draft day due to playing in Sweden and being small...

Old
03-20-2012, 12:44 AM
McSorleyStick
CYBORK

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
Those aren't fans dude. They re pretenders living in fantasy land. If you re a fan you support no matter what.I can't stand people who bail out. It seems very popular here.
Real fans can be disappointed too

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:51 AM
WeeBey

Quote:
Well Karlsson is in the same draft class as Stammer, but the kid is setting the world on fire. And can you please explain how Giroux isn't the best player from the 2006 draft? Your talking about 2 MVP types under the age of 25. But to be clear, I was comparing Collberg to Giroux in regards to their playing styles, as well to Karlsson as a guy who was underrated on draft day due to playing in Sweden and being small...
I'll take Toews over Giroux. This is the first season where Giroux has been playing better than Toews. Whether or not Giroux can continue to outplay Toews or has yet to be seen.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:56 AM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
I'll take Toews over Giroux. This is the first season where Giroux has been playing better than Toews. Whether or not Giroux can continue to outplay Toews or has yet to be seen.
Toews is a great player, an all-star, and a true #1 center and captain. But Giroux IMO has an MVP or 2 in him. Toews simply doesn't have that level of ability. It's apples and oranges though, both are tremendous players.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:57 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
you do realize that the (us) tankards don't want to or expect to have to go through this again, right?

While a FEW people had expressed the will to tank for years like Pitt et al., the people who are hanging around to hope we get the lottery are for the most part (me included) the ones who really wanted the Habs to make the playoffs THIS season. Then they just sucked so hard. Then we looked at the standings and thought.....waiiiiit a second, we DO have a chance to draft a very needed piece of the puzzle.

Perverse gloating? Wut?

All we want is a top5 pick THIS YEAR
. Are you saying you do NOT want that and would rather come 11th in the eastern conference and perhaps get the 10th pick? This season will therefore have been absolutely useless. If we pick high this year, I'm telling you the summer will be very bearable comparatively. Sorry for the perverse gloating!

FTR my backpack has a big Habs pin and I still wear my Habs tshirts on campus. And I live in Ontario.
then comes reality... I mean, look at our roster, seriously... think we're going to be that much better with the addition of ONE great/good 1st rounder ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:03 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Toews is a great player, an all-star, and a true #1 center and captain. But Giroux IMO has an MVP or 2 in him. Toews simply doesn't have that level of ability. It's apples and oranges though, both are tremendous players.
How can someone who has already won a Conn Smythe absolutely not have "that level of ability"? Suggesting a proven playoff MVP couldn't possibly be a regular season MVP seems a bit daft to me; especially when we're talking about Toews.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:12 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Hey it's not our fault if we're smarter than the rest of the fans. It's like battered women: There are those who stay and continue to live in pain and those that say enough is enough and leave.

I've conditioned my sister's kid to think about the draft pick instead of winning games to get Grigorenko and he's been much more happy since.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:14 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Imagine a first line Pacioretti-Toews-Cole. Big, strong, leadership.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote