HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

newbie skate sharpener question

Old
01-09-2012, 04:02 PM
seabird

vCash: 500
newbie skate sharpener question

just purchased a used blackstone x01, hardly used. need to buy that wax stuff you put on before the last pass. what is it and where is cheapest place to buy? can i use something around the house in its place until i get some? thanks rob

seabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:52 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabird View Post
just purchased a used blackstone x01, hardly used. need to buy that wax stuff you put on before the last pass. what is it and where is cheapest place to buy? can i use something around the house in its place until i get some? thanks rob
There's a whole thread on this machine if you go to modsquad hockey.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:23 AM
Fanned On It

Hey I'm a professional skate sharpener and the "wax stuff" you're talking about is called "Gusto Glide" and it's made by Blademaster. We use it at the Proshop in my rink, but it isn't really a necessity. The only thing it is used for is putting a nice finish to the blade, so it's really just an aesthetic thing.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 05:08 PM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
Hey I'm a professional skate sharpener and the "wax stuff" you're talking about is called "Gusto Glide" and it's made by Blademaster. We use it at the Proshop in my rink, but it isn't really a necessity. The only thing it is used for is putting a nice finish to the blade, so it's really just an aesthetic thing.
As a pro skate sharpener, what do you think of these personal sharpeners like the Blackstone?

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 05:10 PM
hyster110

Quote:

ya its really about making the finish nice, although you can get roughly the same smooth finish with a softer stone

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 05:56 PM
forbs02
Blergh

You can also use a bar of Ivory soap. Just run it down the blade before a slow, light final pass.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:18 PM
DevsFan84

The solid wax stuff is called Slik Stik. Gusto Glide is a liquid (an oil, I assume) that comes with an applicator. These are Blademaster brand names anyways- I'm pretty sure Blackstone makes similar products which I've never used. I've heard you can use a bar of soap with similar results, but I've never tried.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Fanned On It

Oh, sorry yeah, I've never used a "blackstone" and I don't even know what it is, haha. My place uses pretty much all Blademaster products: the machine, skate holders, diamonds, stones, accessories, etc. But as far as that gel stuff goes... I find if you do your last pass REALLY slow and steady, it gives you just as nice of a finish as using the gel would.

I'm interested though, what is the Blackstone? Is it the same type of machine as the Blademaster or is it a completely different set-up?

Old
03-20-2012, 12:24 AM
vapor11

Quote:
Oh, sorry yeah, I've never used a "blackstone" and I don't even know what it is, haha. My place uses pretty much all Blademaster products: the machine, skate holders, diamonds, stones, accessories, etc. But as far as that gel stuff goes... I find if you do your last pass REALLY slow and steady, it gives you just as nice of a finish as using the gel would.

I'm interested though, what is the Blackstone? Is it the same type of machine as the Blademaster or is it a completely different set-up?
Different..I could explain but you would be better off googling Blackstone or Flat Bottom V...I just had my first FBV done a few weeks ago it cost me $8 and I am completely satisfied..My blades do not dig into the ice and I feel alot quicker/less fatigued

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:27 AM
Fanned On It

Ohh it's the flat bottom V thing I've been hearing about... Gotcha. Yeah, I've yet to check that kind of sharpening out. I'm assuming it's a stone with a different shape?