HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Taking a Snap Shot

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-20-2012, 12:26 AM
  #1
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,845
vCash: 500
Taking a Snap Shot

Okay so, watching hockey a lot (both NHL and Junior hockey at my rink) I've noticed that most players don't really take full-on wrist shots, they usually opt for the quicker "snap shot". For those of you that may not know, the snap shot is like a wrist shot but instead of just shooting like you normally would you let the puck get a little ahead of your blade and then snap the blade into the ice to propel the puck. So I've finally learned some of the technique behind this kind of shot and I can actually do it now, but I'm having trouble getting some power on it. Right now it's not ultra-weak, but it's not as hard as I would like it to be. The other day I was skating with my cousin who is a phenomenal hockey player and I was asking him how he gets so much power on his snapper being about 5'10 and maybe 155 lbs, he's a very light kid. His answer was to lean into the shot and use your legs to transfer energy into the stick and generate flex on the shaft of the stick (like you would with a normal wrister/slapper).

This seems harder to do with the snap shot though, I can't really get any flex at all on my stick like I can with a slap shot because the wind up is much much shorter. I also find it hard to lean into a snap shot because I feel like my stick is just going to slide out from under me and I'm going to face plant lol. So my question is: how can I generate more power on my snap shot?

BTW: Accuracy right now is probably my strongest attribute. I can put the puck wherever I want so I'm not worried about that. It's just the power issue.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:11 AM
  #2
BHDefensiveForward
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
I find the snap shot is more arm strength than anything. You need to really push down hard on your snap, so put a lot of pressure on your bottom hand. Sometimes move the bottom hand lower down the shaft.

BHDefensiveForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:47 AM
  #3
Pez68
Fire Quenneville
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,107
vCash: 500
The puck should be on your blade the entire time you are taking a snap shot. It should never be ahead of your blade. That's why you're not getting any power on it.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:48 AM
  #4
nullterm
Registered User
 
nullterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Moody, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDefensiveForward View Post
I find the snap shot is more arm strength than anything. You need to really push down hard on your snap, so put a lot of pressure on your bottom hand. Sometimes move the bottom hand lower down the shaft.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:14 AM
  #5
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
The "old" snapshot looked like a modified slapshot. You created separation between blade and puck, wound up ever so slightly (not sure what the hard set rule on the blade leaving the ice was) and shot similar to how you would a slapshot off your far leg.

The modern snapsnot involves loading the stick. Some of it is arm strength, but there still is a lot of weight transfer. Most guys take snapshots off of what the old school considers the wrong leg. As a leftie shooter, I'm transferring weight/balance to my left leg while leaning onto the stick and pressing with my arms to load it before unleasing the shot. There is separation of the blade and puck during the loading process, and the blade doesn't leave the ice so that you can load the stick correctly.

The trick is really in the weight transfer onto the near side leg. This is going to allow you to get good flex on that stick. If you're having trouble after mastering the technique, you may want to consider a lower flex. The last time I played I was about 215lb with a 100 flex stick and didn't have much of an issue with my snapshots.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:29 AM
  #6
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,606
vCash: 500
You might want to check out these threads:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=752717
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=890250

There's a guy on my team who just rips shots as you describe. Not much more than 5'10 or 5'11 and uses an 85 flex stick, but that thing bends huge on his snappers, which don't have a windup and launches off the blade.

I'm not sure exactly what his secret is, but I'm guessing his bottom hand is lower on the stick, so he can get more bend on the stick. Probably not quite as low as a slapper, not quite halfway.

If you can't bend the stick, go down in flex. You shouldn't have to really try hard to get some flex on the stick. And keep your wrists and elbows locked and strong to push your weight through the bottom hand.

Disclaimer, I'm not much for this shot as I use a shorter stick and keep my hands closer together with a quick push-pull for a really fast release off the stick handling motion. Works great for freezing the goalies and beating them in close. But that snapper technique would probably work a lot better for a defenseman or somebody who shoots from a bit further away and needs more pure power.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:14 PM
  #7
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
You might want to check out these threads:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=752717
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=890250

There's a guy on my team who just rips shots as you describe. Not much more than 5'10 or 5'11 and uses an 85 flex stick, but that thing bends huge on his snappers, which don't have a windup and launches off the blade.

I'm not sure exactly what his secret is, but I'm guessing his bottom hand is lower on the stick, so he can get more bend on the stick. Probably not quite as low as a slapper, not quite halfway.

If you can't bend the stick, go down in flex. You shouldn't have to really try hard to get some flex on the stick. And keep your wrists and elbows locked and strong to push your weight through the bottom hand.

Disclaimer, I'm not much for this shot as I use a shorter stick and keep my hands closer together with a quick push-pull for a really fast release off the stick handling motion. Works great for freezing the goalies and beating them in close. But that snapper technique would probably work a lot better for a defenseman or somebody who shoots from a bit further away and needs more pure power.
Hmm I was using a 75 flex with my last stick and it seemed like it was flexing too much and was therefore not producing enough power as the stick was absorbing all of it. But I find that it's hard to flex my stick ON THE ICE even when I'm just standing still. When I'm off the ice I can flex it no problem without putting much weight on it, but when I'm on the ice i find that when I go to flex it it just slides out from under me or something along those lines.

And I know you don't want to push the puck forward on a snap shot but what I meant was you're going to need some sort of separation from the blade in order to snap into the ice.

So basically what I want to do is transfer weight onto my left leg (i'm a lefty) and push my bottom hand into the ice on the snapping motion? I'll try it out. I think the weight transfer is the hardest part for me. I'll also check out those threads.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:31 PM
  #8
IDuck
Registered User
 
IDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 4,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
Hmm I was using a 75 flex with my last stick and it seemed like it was flexing too much and was therefore not producing enough power as the stick was absorbing all of it. But I find that it's hard to flex my stick ON THE ICE even when I'm just standing still. When I'm off the ice I can flex it no problem without putting much weight on it, but when I'm on the ice i find that when I go to flex it it just slides out from under me or something along those lines.

And I know you don't want to push the puck forward on a snap shot but what I meant was you're going to need some sort of separation from the blade in order to snap into the ice.

So basically what I want to do is transfer weight onto my left leg (i'm a lefty) and push my bottom hand into the ice on the snapping motion? I'll try it out. I think the weight transfer is the hardest part for me. I'll also check out those threads.
sounds like your not leaning on your stick enough, and moreso just trying to use your arms....could be wrong, but if i visualize what you just said it seems like that is the case, as you saw in that first part of the video how AK is just simple using the "flex" of the stick for the shot

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:46 PM
  #9
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,845
vCash: 500
Yeah I guess I have to trust that I'm not going to fall and put my body weight into my stick. I do this fine on a slap shot but for some reason leaning into a wrist shot/snap shot makes me feel like I'm gonna mop it lol.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:00 PM
  #10
IDuck
Registered User
 
IDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 4,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
Yeah I guess I have to trust that I'm not going to fall and put my body weight into my stick. I do this fine on a slap shot but for some reason leaning into a wrist shot/snap shot makes me feel like I'm gonna mop it lol.
yeah...i actually "pull" the puck into my feet while doing a snap shot...for some reason its easier for me to get off a better/harder shot when i do this and goalies freaking hate it because i can change the angle of my shot like 4 feet and im often told how wicked my release is, granted ive only been using this shot for about a year but 90% of the time i shoot a snapper i "pull" it first

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:10 PM
  #11
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,606
vCash: 500
You might want to try cupping the puck more then. Also, the stick flexes more than you think it does if you watch in slow motion. Nothing beats good ol' trial and error though so tinker with your hand position. Also, for some reason shooting from the "off" foot can help, a la Roenick and Messier.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:13 PM
  #12
Dampland
YEO must GO
 
Dampland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Job Search City
Country: United States
Posts: 2,309
vCash: 50
I can't tell you all the technical info, but I know that for my snap shot, I use a lot of wrist power on my shooting hand. (Also, I'm old school snap shot, meaning I do get a bit of space between the puck and stick as I make the shot.)

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:27 PM
  #13
shawn1331
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
One thing that I felt really helped my release and helped me gain alot of power. Is making sure that you really get a good kick with your off leg(I'm a righty so in this case it's my left foot I'm kicking). This seems to really throw your weight forward and allow for your body to lean forward and get alot of bend in the stick. BTW I'm 5'9 125-130 and use 90 flexx.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:35 PM
  #14
ArrogantOwl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 193
vCash: 500
I'm surprised that no one has already mentioned this, but one thing is core strength. I really rotate my entire body through the shot while using my weight to help flex the stick. Anything from the arms is bonus.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:35 PM
  #15
nullterm
Registered User
 
nullterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Moody, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
Hmm I was using a 75 flex with my last stick and it seemed like it was flexing too much and was therefore not producing enough power as the stick was absorbing all of it. But I find that it's hard to flex my stick ON THE ICE even when I'm just standing still. When I'm off the ice I can flex it no problem without putting much weight on it, but when I'm on the ice i find that when I go to flex it it just slides out from under me or something along those lines.
I'm similar. I've got an 85 flex I like for slapshots. And a 70 flex I like on snapshots and wristers. But I tend to use my 70 more often as I use those shots more frequently, and slapshots still okay though it feels like I'm swinging a wet noodle when it contacts the ice.

Depends on what you prefer to shoot I'd say.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:16 AM
  #16
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDuck View Post
yeah...i actually "pull" the puck into my feet while doing a snap shot...for some reason its easier for me to get off a better/harder shot when i do this and goalies freaking hate it because i can change the angle of my shot like 4 feet and im often told how wicked my release is, granted ive only been using this shot for about a year but 90% of the time i shoot a snapper i "pull" it first
Yeah one of my friends told me to do this.. pull it in towards your feet and then snap it. I haven't really gotten that motion down yet though.

BTW I'm 6'2" 165 so I'm pretty light for my height and I'm using an 85 flex.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:12 AM
  #17
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,606
vCash: 500
85 at 6'2 is on the whippier end but not too bad considering your weight. It's more height than weight dependent unless you're a freak athlete.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:37 AM
  #18
bananaz
Registered User
 
bananaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,028
vCash: 500


This is a pretty good video.

bananaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:39 AM
  #19
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,606
vCash: 500
Fixed it for you, and awesome link, haven't seen that one before!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:53 AM
  #20
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,768
vCash: 500
So from the video Olli does it old school style it seems so what's this new school style?

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:00 AM
  #21
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,606
vCash: 500
There's really two definitions.

The first is any shot with a small windup. In that case, slapshot has a large windup, wrist shot no windup (puck never leaves the stick), and the snapshot is somewhere in between, usually a windup of less than a foot.

The second is any shot that involves a push-pull "snap" of the wrists. This could be small windup shot that has a snap right after contact with the ice (like Jokinen is displaying), or Cammalleri's modern "wrist" shot:


Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:33 AM
  #22
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
There's really two definitions.

The first is any shot with a small windup. In that case, slapshot has a large windup, wrist shot no windup (puck never leaves the stick), and the snapshot is somewhere in between, usually a windup of less than a foot.

The second is any shot that involves a push-pull "snap" of the wrists. This could be small windup shot that has a snap right after contact with the ice (like Jokinen is displaying), or Cammalleri's modern "wrist" shot:

Ok so old vs new is a misnomer as these shots have always been done. Makes sense now what was said before.

For the windup I'd say the act of bringing your stick back is a "windup" to be "unsprung" so in fact a wrist shot can have a windup.

To me a wrist shot is one where the puck "never" leaves the blade regardless of how far back you drag it from.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:24 PM
  #23
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,606
vCash: 500
Valid. There's never been an official decree on what is and isn't a snap or wrist shot.

Personally I think that skills such as weight transfer, stick loading, and wrist snapping (aka push-pull) are more important to teach/learn rather than terminology. How you choose to put them together is up to you.

For me the bringing the stick back thing is only necessary from a standstill, when you have no forward momentum. Otherwise you only need as much to do a proper push-pull, which isn't more than a foot or so. When you're skating at speed, 20 mph or whatever, then you just have the puck slightly behind you and transfer your weight (through your stride), lean into the stick, and push-pull and you should have a hard shot.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:45 PM
  #24
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician
 
ReverendAlBundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Country: United States
Posts: 1,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDuck View Post
yeah...i actually "pull" the puck into my feet while doing a snap shot...for some reason its easier for me to get off a better/harder shot when i do this and goalies freaking hate it because i can change the angle of my shot like 4 feet and im often told how wicked my release is, granted ive only been using this shot for about a year but 90% of the time i shoot a snapper i "pull" it first
Same for me. I get so much power on this shot it's ridiculous, and it only works if I shoot right from the dragging motion. I can't just shoot from it near my feet, I have to drag it in and shoot all in one motion and it's harder than my slapper.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:51 PM
  #25
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,606
vCash: 500
I do the same thing, and I believe that helps load the stick, both the dragging motion and the proximity of the puck.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.